• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
One of my issues with Cates is that I've found his books read way better in trade than in singles so him taking on even more titles doesn't excite me.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want that in collected form, but maybe not as a giant paperback. I'm hoping that Marvel Cosmic by Cates omnibus has it.

I have to say I was blown away by the treasury edition. the art really does warrant the super size pages. I remember when I bought it I thought it was just gonna be omnibus sized except a softcover and when it was delivered I was like fuuuuuuuuuck

look at this glorious boy

6m5b00m.png

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
so between watching The Boys season 1 and Brightburn recently, the "evil superman" idea is pretty fascinating, whats the best dark superman stories out there to check out?

also, both the show and the movie make the "glowing red laser eyes" look super creepy which is neat.

Justice League Gods and Monsters: More of an anti-hero Superman who is the son of Zod. He was also raised by poor Mexican immigrant farmers. Basically "I saved you. What's the big deal if some shit got damaged?" There is a prequel comic series. I recommend reading it either before or after the movie. Really good either way.

Superman The Animated Series: S2E12 "Brave New Metropolis": Lois Lane gets thrown into an alternate Earth where she died and Superman became a dictator. Long before the Injustice series ever made this a reality.

Justice League (the animated series): S2E11&12 "A Better World Part 1&2": Alternate earth JL where Superman kills President Lex Luthor and takes over comes to main Earth.
In Ireland they opened yesterday.

Tamaki and Janin are gonna kill it

Unstoppable Wasp and Ant-Man by Cates.
Y'all ready for Joker War? I am.
Fuck yeah

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I own the Silver Surfer Treasury Edition and it has been sitting unread on my floor for like 3 months.

I'm debating if should delude myself into thinking I'll read comics over the long weekend or give up and just play video games the whole time instead.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I own the Silver Surfer Treasury Edition and it has been sitting unread on my floor for like 3 months.

I'm debating if should delude myself into thinking I'll read comics over the long weekend or give up and just play video games the whole time instead.
I've been doing both. Borderlands the Pre-Sequel is kinda bad though. But it also scratches this itch I have. Toxic relationship

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Other than Shazam and Three Jokers what else is Johns working on at the moment? I thought he was mostly off on film/TV. I am digging Stargirl, so I hope that Johns doesn't turn out to be trashy.

Shazam's ending. It's not that so much as it is DC's writing hasn't impressed me lately. Outside of James Tynion, ya'll can keep most of them comics. Grant's still there but he does one comic a month.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

it's the knull appearance that actually annoyed me but beyond that it's great stuff and gets legitimately emotional. if you're down with stan the man lieber it's a must read.

edit: perfect timing for a knull mention lol

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Geoff Johns is accused of being an enabler of abuse by Joss Whedon by Ray Fisher
www.resetera.com

Ray Fisher accuses Joss Wheadon of abuse on set of Justice League (Geoff Johns and Jon Berg named as enablers)

Developing story. It's as if everything associated with this movie is tainted in some way. update: 9/14/20 update:
Those Ray Fisher tweets are way too cryptic for an accusation like this. I wonder how much this has to do with having to come in and rework the entire movie with limited time and budget, while people were clearly not happy with the decision.

yes

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Those Ray Fisher tweets are way too cryptic for an accusation like this. I wonder how much this has to do with having to come in and rework the entire movie with limited time and budget, while people were clearly not happy with the decision.

I believe Ray Fisher, with respect to Joss Whedon. Geoff Johns though feels like a guy stretched way too thin across so much shit that it feels like he's scarcely ever involved with ONE thing enough to make a proper impact.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I believe Ray Fisher, with respect to Joss Whedon. Geoff Johns though feels like a guy stretched way too thin across so much shit that it feels like he's scarcely ever involved with ONE thing enough to make a proper impact.
Yeah I get that impression as well.
Feels like he is barely involved in comics anymore. At least compared to how he used to be.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
This isnt the first time that Ray has dunked on Whedon over JLA this week. So I dunno. Ill wait and see if we get more specifics or others backing him up.

And yea, I agree about Johns role. I totally see him being supportive of Whedon tho on JLA. Dude was never going to make everyone happy.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I get that impression as well.
Feels like he is barely involved in comics anymore. At least compared to how he used to be.

Not just comics--everything. At one point he was writing like 3 comics and supposedly doing scripts and being the creative director over all DC's projects from TV to film. There's no way you can be involved to the degree you're supposed to be if that much is on your plate.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Not just comics--everything. At one point he was writing like 3 comics and supposedly doing scripts and being the creative director over all DC's projects from TV to film. There's no way you can be involved to the degree you're supposed to be if that much is on your plate.
I feel like he has been trying to get out of the comic industry and move solely into film and tv for a while.
But while also keeping one foot still in the comic writing game just in case.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I...don't buy the Johns having nothing he could do thoery. The victim is saying he could have done something and he didn't. Gonna go with Ray's word here.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Justice League (the animated series): S2E11&12 "A Better World Part 1&2": Alternate earth JL where Superman kills President Lex Luthor and takes over comes to main Earth.

One of the very best episodes of the series.

"They'd love it here, don't you think?"
"Who?"
"Mom and Dad. They'd be so proud of you."
"...Just drive."

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like he has been trying to get out of the comic industry and move solely into film and tv for a while.
But while also keeping one foot still in the comic writing game just in case.

Nah. I think he became so essential to DC's success that he took every opportunity offered him even when he didn't have the time to devote to it. There's no "he's trying to get out of the comic industry" when he was basically over their television and film projects for years. He's got several writing scripts to his name from the Arrowverse era. He was the producer over a couple films. He's got no reason to stay in comics other than he doesn't know how to let it go.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In his recent Word Balloon conversations it seemed like he was much more involved with the Stargirl show than I had realized.

Status
Not open for further replies.