• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Caught up on Black Widow. Thompson, Casagrande and Bellaire are doing incredible work. It's easily the best Widow story I've read. The art is stunning too. Casagrande was great on Catwoman but with Jordie Bellaire she's so much better. Her panelling for fights is awesome. I feel bad for Nat.

Also lol at Kelly fitting Jeff the land shark into this run.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all wanted comics content, now you get it. I actually read a shit load of comics but never want to talk about them.

Knull fuckin sucks.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Donny Cates Thor is not good. Nice art though. But just silly. Another book promising a universe spanning mega event.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
probably the weakest thing I've read from him outside parts of his venom

loved the art on the first arc though, but I'm a sucker for good art and coloring in space

Kuder did 2 issues and now Klein is back for another arc. Its beautiful but the story is meh so far.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuder did 2 issues and now Klein is back for another arc. Its beautiful but the story is meh so far.

yeah I'm not really feeling it. interesting idea with the donald blake stuff but the books haven't been great. cliff hanger in the most recent one is interesting I guess

that first arc really looked good though, it's like give me good pencils, space, and a lot of purples and I'm good lol

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
yeah I'm not really feeling it. interesting idea with the donald blake stuff but the books haven't been great. cliff hanger in the most recent one is interesting I guess

that first arc really looked good though, it's like give me good pencils, space, and a lot of purples and I'm good lol

The art actually reminds me a bit of Coipel. I love how Klein draws Sir.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Has C*tes writing become too cheesy since then? I thought his Thanos book was great.

To me it's this feeling that I had with Aaron. That everything is connected and leading to something months and years down the line. In Thor they show you that thing even. Just tell a good story how and stop worrying about setting up the big event two years from now.

Cates got worse imo once he became one of the big guys. Thanos was dumb fun because it had little to no consequences. Now he's too big to not connect everything.

Also everything is diet metal with Cates. I find it funny he said there will be no Knull in Thor. Its one of the few places he fits imo.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has C*tes writing become too cheesy since then? I thought his Thanos book was great.

I feel like when he gets less cheesy is when he loses it. when he flirts with more serious grimdark stuff it's not great but when he's doing stupid fun comics bullshit with a lot of heart it is

honestly aside from the alternate universe arc in venom it's been since his guardians run and silver surfer black wrapped where I felt like he was really firing. edit: and knull was the worst part of silver surfer black lol

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Are these Marvels big 5 now?

Hickman
Ewing
Cates
Thompson
Zdarsky

Spencer maybe. I don't count Aaron anymore.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That sure was a nice break from the internet for today. I relaxed in bed, did art, watched all of S1 of Cobra Kai, and started S2. Let's see what I missed...

Reads about the bean-dad stuff.

You know what I'll avoid the internet tomorrow too.

May 24, 2019
That sure was a nice break from the internet for today. I relaxed in bed, did art, watched all of S1 of Cobra Kai, and started S2. Let's see what I missed...

Reads about the bean-dad stuff.

You know what I'll avoid the internet tomorrow too.

I'm not gonna tell my kid about the correct omnibus reading position. They'll have to work it out themselves.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Last week I read more IDW comics than the big 2. And I regret nothing.

The Transformers series is not connected to the War World arc, with the main book focusing on the developing battle lines between the Autobota and Decepticons, Galaxies ending with Ultra Magnus getting ready to assist and Escape beginning with saving the non-native population. That last part's interesting since that's hardly ever mentioned in the Transformers universe. I'm just ready for shit to go down.

Meanwhile, Usagi Yojimbo was merely exposition of the nature of tengu. Not much else to go from there... other than that Usagi gives out the best grins in comics.

Ryan North finds his footing in the second issue of Power Pack, first by going into how convoluted the Kamala Act is when applied to the comic world as well as looking into saving the world from a different perspective. I'm not more confident he can match the quality of his earlier products.

Jinny Hex... okay it wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be. The artwork is a hit-and-miss throughout the book. Still, I see a lot of potential if it becomes an ongoing.

List:
Future State: Wonder Woman #1
Future State: Harley Quinn #1
Soider-Woman #8
The Transformers #26
Rat Queens #24

I wasn't planning on buying Future State... but I might as well give it a go.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Jinny Hex... okay it wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be. The artwork is a hit-and-miss throughout the book. Still, I see a lot of potential if it becomes an ongoing.
I thought it was fine. I would never expect Jinny to get an ongoing, though. Especially with the belt-tightening going on at DC these days. WB seems intent on a smaller line focused on the books they know will sell. Batman, Justice League, Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman, Batman, Batman, and maybe Flash if we're lucky. oh, and Batman.

May 24, 2019
At least with Bendis doing Justice League, she'll probably pop up again. Naomi's gonna need pals her own age somewhere in there.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Batman White Knight Comic Series Is Some of The Best Recent Batman Stories You Should Read

I cannot compliment this comic universe enough. I have read comics for quite awhile and have read all the classics, long Halloween, hush, court of owls, etc. This series should be considered in that reign. Sean Murphy has completed two volumes so far with a third coming on the way and two spin...

SUCK IT NERDS
twedoxzjotx41.jpg

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Donny Cates Thor is not good. Nice art though. But just silly. Another book promising a universe spanning mega event.
Honestly after the Galactus stuff I feel like it improves a ton (the issue where sends the hammer away), he finally just starts writing a real Thor book.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Monday is officially the last day to submit your ranked top 10 for the Comic of the Year voting. I still need votes from Teenage Fansub HooAmEye R0b1n Messi, and blanton if he's reading this. I'll provide the list of final round comics to choose from here. If you're not comfortable using the spreadsheet, you can post here, just make sure to tag me. Again, this is a ranked top 10 list. Everyone else is free to shift or change their own top 10s too, of course.

docs.google.com

COMICS!!! |OT| Comic of the Year 2020 - Final Ranking

Sheet1 ResetEra Username,1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th,7th,8th,9th,10th Canucked,Daredevil,Superman Smashes the Klan,Marauders,Seven Secrets,Strange Adventures,Gideon Falls,Strange Adventures,Wonder Woman: Dead Earth,Guardians of the Galaxy,Hellions mreddie,Guardians of the Galaxy,Antman,Immortal Hulk...

A Map to the Sun
Ant-Man
Chainsaw Man
Daredevil
Decorum
Far Sector
Gideon Falls
Guardians of the Galaxy
Hellblazer
Hellions
Immortal Hulk
Jimmy Olsen
Marauders
Once & Future
Seven Secrets
Slaughterhouse Five
Spy x Family
Strange Adventures
Suicide Squad
Superman Smashes the Klan
Wonder Woman: Dead Earth

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Hickman
Ewing
Cates
Thompson
Zdarsky

if it's their full-time writers that make the big bucks, it's definitely spencer and aaron over thompson and zdarsky.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

Hickman
Ewing
Cates
Thompson
Zdarsky

The trade off between Marvel and DC is that DC has properties I'm more interested in, but when it comes to writers overall Marvel has names

Al Ewing
Eve Ewing
Jonathan Hickman
Kelly Thompson
Donny Cates
Saladin Ahmed
Matthew Rosenberg
Ben Percy

Zdarsky plays the field, and even light work from Leah Williams and Jim Zub has me pulled in. I'm not a fan of Slott or Spencer but they're on books I'm not interested in right now anyways so I'm good. Marvel also has an extremely strong artist stable right now as well. Like they just have names.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
last year I had a slipped disc and a broken foot that I recovered from. I'm really out of shape and today I made the mistake of hiking 9 miles. I'm in agony-my legs are feet are killing me.

Anyways. I would include Spencer in the top writers for Marvel. He's so lackluster.

Also, Cates Thor has been very good.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Man I was gonna put the Empyre omnibus on my list for this, but then I double-checked and it got kicked back to July

The fuck man
Hey, so I had a plan for a while to start a Comic reading club in 2021 where we all vote on "Must Read" comics each month and talk about them. But I think it would be a bit too much work at the moment, so I'm shelving it for now.

Instead, however, I want to do something a little simpler. Basically, I just want to poll folk here on the comics/stuff they're most excited about this month. Super casual. No awards or anything associated with it. No requests for reviews or anything like that (though you're more than welcome!). It's just a spreadsheet where folk can put down their most-anticipated comics/shows/movies/etc. coming out in January 2021. I'll leave it up for a couple days and then put together a list of the most anticipated books for the month.

Details--
* Add your ResetEra username + up to 10 books coming out in January title by title. Rank doesn't matter, but feel free to rank them!
* Comic issues, manga chapters, manga volume TPBs, graphic novels, magazines, or anything is fine! If there's a collected edition you really want, put that on there, too! Hell, this is for funny books, but if you want to put a movie, TV show, game, or prose novel on there then by all means. It's a way to track what individuals in the community are looking forward to.
* Don't necessarily look at this as your pull list, but as things you'd be most l likely to say to friends, "Yo, you remember this is coming out next Wednesday? I'm so excited."
* No poll deadline, but if there are enough lists I'll post a Most Anticipated January thing on Monday, Jan. 4.

I'm hoping, maybe selfishly, that this will help folk get a bigger view of what people are excited about or looking forward to. And as such, help folk from missing out on something they might love, or at least to provide insight into our friends and community members and what they care about.

Let me know if there's anything you think might make this better! Just winging it for now, but I have high hopes for it.

docs.google.com

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2021 Stuff to Check Out!

Sheet1 ResetEra Name,Most Hype Thing #1,#2,#3,#4,#5,#6,#7,#8,#9,#10,#11,#12,#13,#14,#15,... bluexy ,Wrestle Kingdom 15,Eternals #1,WandaVision,Future State The Next Batman #1,Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 3,X-Men by Jim Lee + Claremont Omnibus Vol. 1,Rupaul's Drag Race,Cyber Shadow (game),Serial #1...

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bad news, folk. Blanton confirmed that his appeal has been denied. Ban's staying in place. I won't get into the details. Just want to say this is a real bummer and that Blanton's going to be missed. Hope, if they're reading this, that they know they were a valued part of the community here. As much as anyone. Hopefully, this isn't goodbye.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Bad news, folk. Blanton confirmed that his appeal has been denied. Ban's staying in place. I won't get into the details. Just want to say this is a real bummer and that Blanton's going to be missed. Hope, if they're reading this, that they know they were a valued part of the community here. As much as anyone. Hopefully, this isn't goodbye.
What did he get banned for, if you don't mind me asking?
Is the ban permenant?

Sucks though, he seemed like an alright dude.

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm starting to come to terms with not having a favorite hero, since I love it all.

Daredevil, Scarlet Witch, Thor, Eternals, Inhumans, Guardians of the Galaxy, Wave.

I can't help it.

X-Men #1 was good but I admittedly tune out a bit with the scifi stuff like the Forge and stuff. Onto Marauders. I also space out with the Summer family tree. Also why does some of these mutants look like Inhumans. Do Marvel have a design baseline or scheme for doing Inhuman characters and X-Men characters?

I've also begun Ultimates 2. This is the most out there cosmic stuff I've ever read and I want more of it. Eternity in chains? What does this even mean.

[edit] I see I should be reading the latest Guardians of the Galaxy run.

Last edited:

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
I think Barbara was a good role model for disabled people. Because honestly how many disabled heroes are there?
It was a shame to loose that.
That's a good question actually. I can only think of Karma, Daredevil, Echo and Blindfold and Blindfold is banned from resurrection protocols so won't be back for a while.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
oh man that sucks to hear. I'll miss them

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I've also begun Ultimates 2. This is the most out there cosmic stuff I've ever read and I want more of it. Eternity in chains? What does this even mean.
Did you read Ultimates 1? They talked about it there. During the universal shakeup that was Secret Wars, someone/something put a metaphorical cage around Eternity, weakening it somehow

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Did you read Ultimates 1? They talked about it there. During the universal shakeup that was Secret Wars, someone/something put a metaphorical cage around Eternity, weakening it somehow
Nope. Thought about reading U1 after, but might just buy Vol 2 and do it now. Although Ultimates2 is pretty interesting on the second issue already. Really liking the team and dynamics so far as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.