• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Finally we have a cover for v15. It's been 2 years (!) since the last volume.

k72a6py6kj861.jpg
She might be a poor man's Anya, but Yotsuba is still cool.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This man has some of the best action in comics and it's all thanks to manga.

All comic artists should be forced to read at least one battle shonen to learn action.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This man has some of the best action in comics and it's all thanks to manga.

All comic artists should be forced to read at least one battle shonen to learn action.

what's the tier list of best shonen action mangas comic artists should learn from?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Jorge Jimenez is another artist with great action that is also clearly inspired by manga. Manga has won. 😳

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Jorge Jimenez is another artist with great action that is also clearly inspired by manga. Manga has won. 😳

Yeah shonen jumps clearly have better action than western comics. Jorge has said he reads shonen jumps and is inspired by them. He did that father son kamehameha Superman page.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
God forbid people would enjoy a thing 😂
I'm just saying that people are going to scream about Chainsaw Man for a year when the anime comes out. I don't really care. I voted for it. Not my favorite thing, but I thought it did a lot of interesting stuff and had some great paneling in the last third. One of the most fun manga to read week to week, too. Very entertaining to be part of the zeitgeist and going "WTF Chainsaw Man this week!!!"

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
what's the tier list of best shonen action mangas comic artists should learn from?
Dragon Ball is absolutely at the top.

And while it's not an battle shonen series or anything, Ping Pong feels like a great example of how to draw dynamic scenes. Matsumoto's sense of motion is really unparalleled in it, and is a must read.

(please buy Ping Pong)

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
While I enjoyed Chainsaw Man overall, I feel like it's becoming pretty overrated at this point.
I hate to say it because I love it but I kinda agree. It was still my favorite manga of the year but MHA is still overall better. Its hard for anything to beat Dragon Ball though, unless for some reason we're including Berserk which is the best at everything except humor.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, so I had a plan for a while to start a Comic reading club in 2021 where we all vote on "Must Read" comics each month and talk about them. But I think it would be a bit too much work at the moment, so I'm shelving it for now.

Instead, however, I want to do something a little simpler. Basically, I just want to poll folk here on the comics/stuff they're most excited about this month. Super casual. No awards or anything associated with it. No requests for reviews or anything like that (though you're more than welcome!). It's just a spreadsheet where folk can put down their most-anticipated comics/shows/movies/etc. coming out in January 2021. I'll leave it up for a couple days and then put together a list of the most anticipated books for the month.

Details--
* Add your ResetEra username + up to 10 books coming out in January title by title. Rank doesn't matter, but feel free to rank them!
* Comic issues, manga chapters, manga volume TPBs, graphic novels, magazines, or anything is fine! If there's a collected edition you really want, put that on there, too! Hell, this is for funny books, but if you want to put a movie, TV show, game, or prose novel on there then by all means. It's a way to track what individuals in the community are looking forward to.
* Don't necessarily look at this as your pull list, but as things you'd be most l likely to say to friends, "Yo, you remember this is coming out next Wednesday? I'm so excited."
* No poll deadline, but if there are enough lists I'll post a Most Anticipated January thing on Monday, Jan. 4.

I'm hoping, maybe selfishly, that this will help folk get a bigger view of what people are excited about or looking forward to. And as such, help folk from missing out on something they might love, or at least to provide insight into our friends and community members and what they care about.

Let me know if there's anything you think might make this better! Just winging it for now, but I have high hopes for it.

docs.google.com

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2021 Stuff to Check Out!

Sheet1 ResetEra Name,Most Hype Thing #1,#2,#3,#4,#5,#6,#7,#8,#9,#10,#11,#12,#13,#14,#15,... bluexy ,Wrestle Kingdom 15,Eternals #1,WandaVision,Future State The Next Batman #1,Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 3,X-Men by Jim Lee + Claremont Omnibus Vol. 1,Rupaul's Drag Race,Cyber Shadow (game),Serial #1...

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm judging it as a complete work. You can't pick out a few particularly cool panels to defend the entire run. There was a lot of cringe sexual shit and a lot of moments that were not at all intriguing.

Really turned your opinion around on it once it ended huh.

Every fight in that book is incredible. The panelling is redicilous.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Really turned your opinion around on it once it ended huh.
Reading something week to week or monthly, you're still digesting the story while waiting for more. Once a thing is over, it's easier to look back at it as a whole work. I'm not saying it wasn't good or that I didn't enjoy it. You need to stop looking at someone being less than over-the-moon about something you like as being a complete dismissal of the series better qualities.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
When they all went to hell in Chainsawman that was freaky as fuck.
A really bizarre and cool interpretation.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Reading something week to week or monthly, you're still digesting the story while waiting for more. Once a thing is over, it's easier to look back at it as a whole work. I'm not saying it wasn't good or that I didn't enjoy it. You need to stop looking at someone being less than over-the-moon about something you like as being a complete dismissal of the series better qualities.

Cool we were talking about action in manga. Couldn't care less about the rest.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd go as far as to say that Dragon Ball got big thanks to Akira Toriyama's peerless ability at drawing fight scenes.

Even when Dragon Ball descended into beam struggles, it was still impeccably drawn.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Horikoshi draws great fights imo and in general is one of if not the best artist in jump now.

In 2021 let's make a New Years resolution to stop discussing manga in a comics thread

If that's what y'all want then I'll stop.

It just make me way less interested in coming here because I legit read 5 comic series now.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do miss when Dragonball was more martial arts focused

Yeah same. I kinda feel like Dragon Ball as a series ran out of steam after the Saiyan Saga and the iconic battle between Goku and Vegeta, because afterwards it was all just lasers and one sided fights. The Cell and Buu Sagas are just not good.

It's actually why I love Super as much as I do. Yeah the fights are still over the top but it feels like there's more physicality to them, and more importantly for the first time in the history of the series, the character motivations actually matter.

Jiren is the best villain since Freeza don't @ me

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I'd go as far as to say that Dragon Ball got big thanks to Akira Toriyama's peerless ability at drawing fight scenes.

Even when Dragon Ball descended into beam struggles, it was still impeccably drawn.

Well yeah you don't make a beam struggle iconic if it doesn't look like this

main-qimg-ae61e04b30abae2f2df94ddc797517a6
latest

latest
latest

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horikoshi draws great fights imo and in general is one of if not the best artist in jump now.

It just make me way less interested in coming here because I legit read 5 comic series now.
Less manga and less messi?

why didn't we do this before!?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
At some point Dragon Ball lost all of the comedy that punctuated the martial arts.
It all became very serious.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

I consider manga to be within the realm of comics. I probably read more manga than Western comics these days because you get way more value for the cost with manga. Color was a scam all along.
We all know JC secretly reads 'The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You' and 'In Another World where Baseball is War, a High School Ace Player will Save a Weak Nation '.

This week, baby...

912642._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

The man Koharu loved wasn't cheating on her... he was cheating on his wife with her! And not only that... he was the third guy in a row to do so. Dejected, she leaves Tokyo for her hometown, and rejects a future of love and marriage for a simpler life. But things have changed -- her parents are struggling, the cafê they ran is closed, and a creepy man keeps following her around. She thinks this may be it for her, until she learns that her hometown has allowed polygamous marriage, and she's in that man's sights as his third wife!

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah same. I kinda feel like Dragon Ball as a series ran out of steam after the Saiyan Saga and the iconic battle between Goku and Vegeta, because afterwards it was all just lasers and one sided fights. The Cell and Buu Sagas are just not good.

It's actually why I love Super as much as I do. Yeah the fights are still over the top but it feels like there's more physicality to them, and more importantly for the first time in the history of the series, the character motivations actually matter.

Jiren is the best villain since Freeza don't @ me
I'm liking Moro too, his abilities are a nice counter to power creep

Status
Not open for further replies.