• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. You can't look at those and tell me that fit women in stylized outfits, but with two different design philosophies in their actual outfits compared to the rest is the same thing. Now sexualizing them in the story-telling? Different scenario.

It's like Poison Ivy as drawn by either Nguyen or March

Sexualizing a character using design and storytelling are two different things. Creating a sexy character is another thing. And in a world of creating characters to look stylish, looking sexy, cool, and badass are all things that tend to mix together. That's my point. Different writers and artists get ahold of these characters, as is the way of this industry and these companies. Yara Flor isn't a sexualized character by initial design, but she could potentially be by future storytelling. Same thing is the case with Punchline. This is not the same as those other costumes I posted, which are sexualized by design, and in some cases sexualized in the story (Magik oddly was not so I never understood why that costume was necessary).
Yeah I see what you are saying and I think I agree.
Some characters are designed from the outset to be more sexualised and some become that way when drawn differently.
I think thats what you mean at least.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Yara Flor's design is sexualized, but I do think the long sleeves/no pants look is really dumb (especially for a character from the Amazon rain forest). That said, someone like March or Clay Mann drawing her and it will become total gross cheesecake with boob socks and spandex that clings so tight you can see each individual ass cheek (see Harley on that Sirens cover BKatastrophe posted).

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I've gone for years without getting that Doomsday was WW. I assumed he just left and she walked in from out of frame.

edit: Though this is probably my first time actually reading the ad.
Wtf is that how you're supposed to read it? I thought it was just "yay problem solved, here's the trinity just enjoying snacks, completely unrelated"

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
These are the original designs given to artists for Punchline and Yara Flor Wonder Girl
Punchline%20Design_5e3db848bf2d39.17575564.jpg

SfAmQjzeab5X9k32yHHshG-1200-80.jpg

These two costumes weren't designed in a sexualised way. They probably will get drawn that way by cheesecake artists but their original intent wasn't that. There are plenty of women's costumes that are designed to be sexual and they are bad... This ain't it.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i think yara flor's design is definitely sexualized. she's got golden tit plate, which is inarguably an element of sexualized character design. but i don't necessarily think her art shared so far has been sexualized beyond that design. i doubt that'll last, though. variants always treat women characters awfully.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Magik's costume is really dumb. To the point I'm convinced the DoX writers changed her personality to fit her costume more than giving her something better.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
i think yara flor's design is definitely sexualized. she's got golden tit plate, which is inarguably an element of sexualized character design. but i don't necessarily think her art shared so far has been sexualized beyond that design. i doubt that'll last, though. variants always treat women characters awfully.

Yaras variants are by Jenny Frison so that won't happen right now. Plus that doesn't make it the fault of the design.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
All female superheroes must have the power of never feeling the cold with the shit they wear

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Same, I wish she'd get a new costume though. They haven't been able to settle on a good one for her. They can't go back to the New Mutants one either, she's past that.
Yeah she is past due for a new costume. There is probably a design out there that would suit her very well.
Dunno what it is though.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
What Catwoman costume is this? Is Jorge getting rid of Joelles costume? Also Batmans costume is new?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The Queen's Gambit really was anime as fuck, thinking about it more.
Its a stone's throw from Haikyuu or Hajime No Ippo.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i love how porl is our new x-men expert

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Man. America vs. The Justice Society started out so good that I almost recommended it. But then I got past the first issue. This is literally just a wikipedia entry.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I just ordered Superman Smashes the Klan from Amazon. Didn't really want to because I bought the first months ago and still have a hard time reading anything but it was too damn good and I've been dying to finish it.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
i just literally read those issues last month baby i know SHIT about the X-men

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Colossus? never heard of him you probably made that up

Colossus is just kind of there nowadays. I don't think anyone really has anything interesting for him to do since, god, like even the Claremont years maybe? Or when he joined the Acolytes for five minutes.

Remember when Warren Ellis turned him into a crazed stalker to justify his self insert dating Kitty.

May 24, 2019
What Catwoman costume is this? Is Jorge getting rid of Joelles costume? Also Batmans costume is new?

That's Batman's 'ideal Gotham' costume from BM #100 that Joker stole, right? That's not Clay Mann's new Catwoman costume, so maybe it's just another flash into Bruce's fantasy future?

Here's Mann's upcoming Catwoman (not that that'll necessarily influence the mainline Bat books)
LtNIisi.jpg

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I just ordered Superman Smashes the Klan from Amazon. Didn't really want to because I bought the first months ago and still have a hard time reading anything but it was too damn good and I've been dying to finish it.
I just read through it recently and I enjoyed it a lot. I loved the portrayal of Superman here, and Roberta was a very charming character too. Did a good job with its messaging and was a pleasant and breezy read.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
you could write a lecture on colossus don't lie. I've seen your colossus posts in discord.
you can't pay me to write more than a paragraph about him i know better ways to waste my time

Colossus is just kind of there nowadays. I don't think anyone really has anything interesting for him to do since, god, like even the Claremont years maybe? Or when he joined the Acolytes for five minutes.

Remember when Warren Ellis turned him into a crazed stalker to justify his self insert dating Kitty.
he's been messing with Domino's memories and pretending to be a good innocent farmer boy over in X-Force. Don't believe his lies.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I just read through it recently and I enjoyed it a lot. I loved the portrayal of Superman here, and Roberta was a very charming character too. Did a good job with its messaging and was a pleasant and breezy read.
Yeah, I love the messaging and especially the way they handle Superman. Just a feel good story that distracts from the hellhole America has become.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
You know what, I'm not even gonna touch this Yara Flor discussion. I'm just gonna say I love the character design.

Status
Not open for further replies.