• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
Whatever. It's a thousand times more modest than the other swimsuit designs that other women superheroes in comics have worn. She's got big thighs.

Like Ed McGuinness and Jason Aaron literally put She-Hulk in a fucking bikini in goddamned 2020 to "help focus her new powers."

Nah
what the fuck is this garbage-ass storytelling "yeah let's put six goddamn sentences worth of exposition in there, none of them playing with the idea of the hulk form getting in the way of jen expressing her thoughts"

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Now who's getting horny? ;)

Voodoo and Blackhawks did, but stuff like I Vampire, Animal Man, Dial H, Demon Knights and Jonah Hex (whatever it was called "Western Tales" or something) all lasted at least a couple of years.

One thing the N52 had going for it over the more recent relaunches was space for weird stuff that they didn't shove off into imprints.

I'mma get you on a Good-DC-since-2011 reading course, MP.
Hah, I did read some of the New 52 stuff. Snyder's Batman, Morrison's Superman, some of the smaller books like Dial H and Demon Knights.
But eventually I kinda fell of all DC books completely. The magic was gone.

Its weird. I went from reading mostly DC and a couple of Marvel books, to almost all Marvel and very little DC.
Now I read mostly Marvel and other stuff from Image and IDW and almost nothing from DC.

TEP

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it during a sale but still haven't read it after reading the preview on Comixology. I'm more interested now. I remember seeing a tweet by a random fan asking the writer to write a new Birds of Prey book featuring Cass, Harper, and Steph and she said she'd love to so that intrigued me more as to how she'd written the character.

I'd be into that. If she ever does write an ongoing, even if it's not Cass/Batgirl related, I'll definitely give it a shot. She's won me over.

I read my first comics of the 2021:

Dragon Hoops by Gene Luen Yang

Lover of comics and hater of sports, Yang decides to chronicle the high school basketball team in their attempt to win the state championship, claiming it will make a great story for his next graphic novel. He was right. I'm a sucker for anything related to basketball, but I really enjoyed this. It does a great job of capturing the movements of the game through his art. It also doubles as a personal journey, as he battles with the decision of leaving his teaching position to solely focus on making comics.

Space Battle Lunchtime by Natalie Riess

This is a series about a baker from Earth competing on an alien cooking show. I read it a few years ago and was surprised to see a new volume came out last October. It's a fun story and I love the way Natalie colors her books. The page layouts are a bit more simple in the first couple volumes, but she plays around with them a lot more in the third and it works well.

Palimpsest: Documents From a Korean Adoption by Lisa Wool-Rim Sjöblom

The author details her experience growing up as a Korean adoptee in Sweden and the search for her birth parents. It's maddening and beautiful and heartbreaking. I highly recommend it.

Spy x Family, Vol 1 by Tatsuya Endo

This was very good.

May 24, 2019
The thing that was mind-bogglingly dumb to me was how DC printed omnibuses of both all the New 52 #1's, and later on, all of the #0 issues. Who is the target market for that? People who despise continuity?

At least for the #0s and Villain Month issues they were one shot stories, but yeah for the N52 and Rebirth #1s omnis you're essentially paying to sample the starts of storylines. If you're interested in any you have to get the first trades and pay for those issues again.

May 24, 2019
Damn I wish the last Hellblazer series got that.
And I bet it probably sold better than Demon Knights too.

Only looking up #1s

2011 Demon Knights #1 37,442
2013 Constantine #1 37,564
2015 John Constantine Hellblazer #1 38,080
2016 Hellblazer Rebirth 76,731
2016 Hellblazer #1 59,734
2019 Hellblazer Sandman Universe Special 25,236
2019 Hellblazer #1 30,790

No numbers on the Tom Taylor one yet.

Surprised how well Rebirth Hellblazer kicked off. I'm guessing it had a heavy drop after a couple of issues. Probably weird speculators who were getting everything.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Only looking up #1s

2011 Demon Knights #1 37,442
2013 Constantine #1 37,564
2015 John Constantine Hellblazer #1 38,080
2016 Hellblazer Rebirth 76,731
2016 Hellblazer #1 59,734
2019 Hellblazer Sandman Universe Special 25,236
2019 Hellblazer #1 30,790

No numbers on the Tom Taylor one yet.
Damn guess not.
Just looking, the 2nd trade isn't out til march and the series is already long cancelled.
There is some faulty logic going on somewhere.

May 24, 2019
Comichron doesn't have numbers for the start, but Vertigo Hellblazer was selling under 10k when it ended (though there was a small bump on the final)

edit: All of the random mid 90's points I'm checking it was under 20k, so it never seems to have been a big seller outside of the Rebirth launch. Maybe those were the numbers that the Sandman series was expected to live up to.

Last edited:

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Look man if you're just fuckin zooming in on Yara's butt when you see some art then maybe that's on you.

That design is no different than 90% of female superhero designs

May 24, 2019
We can count the booty shots for real in a couple of days.

2021's first LIST!!!!!
Dark Nights Death Metal #7
Dreaming Waking Hours #6
Eternals #1 (maybe. should probably read gaiman's series first or something)
Future State Harley Quinn #1
Future State Superman Of Metropolis #1
Future State Swamp Thing #1
Future State The Next Batman #1
Future State Wonder Woman #1
Generations Shattered #1
also
Charles Soule's Star Wars High Republic novel (not a comic, just reminding myself)

lol just missing FS Flash. I'm pumped.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We can count the booty shots for real in a couple of days.

2021's first LIST!!!!!
Dark Nights Death Metal #7
Dreaming Waking Hours #6
Eternals #1 (maybe. should probably read gaiman's series first or something)
Future State Harley Quinn #1
Future State Superman Of Metropolis #1
Future State Swamp Thing #1
Future State The Next Batman #1
Future State Wonder Woman #1
Generations Shattered #1
also
Charles Soule's Star Wars High Republic novel (not a comic, just reminding myself)

lol just missing FS Flash. I'm pumped.

I've heard FS Flash ain't great

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
What's good with TKO Studios?

They seem to have a ton of material on a deep Kindle sale

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So I've read the initial HoX/PoX event and it was damn good. Do I just continue on with the Dawn of X volumes on Comixology? And then do Swords of X after? I see the Dawn of X volumes are still ongoing though?

Also bought these during the recent sale:
Agents of Atlas: Pandemonium
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Vol. 7
Daredevil Vol. 3 and 4 by Chip Zdarsky
Daredevil Ultimate Collection 1, 2, 3 by Bendis and Maleev

I think for right now, I'm gonna do the following reads:
Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil
Ultimates2 (for Celestials, before the new Eternals comes out this month)
Jason Aaron's Thor run (returning to it after a while)
Dawn of X (returning to Hickman's run after a while)

Maybe Matt Fraction's Hawkeye (I keep meaning to do it) and The Vision (before WandaVision starts).

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
So I've read the initial HoX/PoX event and it was damn good. Do I just continue on with the Dawn of X volumes on Comixology? And then do Swords of X after? I see the Dawn of X volumes are still ongoing though?
You can do it that way with the volumes, but I'd maybe try some first issues of some of the series that spun out HoX/PoX and see what you like.
I personally recommend 'X-men', Marauders and Hellions.
The only ones I don't recommend of Fallen Angels and Excalibur.
When you get to the X of Swords crossover you can then read the whole thing if you want.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I'll grab that one and the others on sale. Might as well
Lemire has one there too that I want to check out sometime. Then the Fearsome Dr. Fang looked really cool. Its co-written by the guy who founded TKO, who was also one of the main writers on the Gotham show lol.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be into that. If she ever does write an ongoing, even if it's not Cass/Batgirl related, I'll definitely give it a shot. She's won me over.

I read my first comics of the 2021:

Dragon Hoops by Gene Luen Yang

Lover of comics and hater of sports, Yang decides to chronicle the high school basketball team in their attempt to win the state championship, claiming it will make a great story for his next graphic novel. He was right. I'm a sucker for anything related to basketball, but I really enjoyed this. It does a great job of capturing the movements of the game through his art. It also doubles as a personal journey, as he battles with the decision of leaving his teaching position to solely focus on making comics.

This is a series about a baker from Earth competing on an alien cooking show. I read it a few years ago and was surprised to see a new volume came out last October. It's a fun story and I love the way Natalie colors her books. The page layouts are a bit more simple in the first couple volumes, but she plays around with them a lot more in the third and it works well.

Palimpsest: Documents From a Korean Adoption by Lisa Wool-Rim Sjöblom

The author details her experience growing up as a Korean adoptee in Sweden and the search for her birth parents. It's maddening and beautiful and heartbreaking. I highly recommend it.

Spy x Family, Vol 1 by Tatsuya Endo

This was very good.

all amazing choices. welcome to the official anya fan club.

Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil

Maybe Matt Fraction's Hawkeye (I keep meaning to do it) and The Vision (before WandaVision starts).
You can do it that way with the volumes, but I'd maybe try some first issues of some of the series that spun out HoX/PoX and see what you like.
I personally recommend 'X-men', Marauders and Hellions.
The only ones I don't recommend of Fallen Angels and Excalibur.
When you get to the X of Swords crossover you can then read the whole thing if you want.
Dawn of X is great for continuing and getting the full story in the correct order, plus it's a great way to sample each series and decide if you'd rather drop some and focus on the better series.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how they are going to continue the Dawn of X collections, now there are even more X books.
I think there are 9 now. Including Wolverine and Cable.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how they are going to continue the Dawn of X collections, now there are even more X books.
I think there are 9 now. Including Wolverine and Cable.
they just collect six issues per in reading order, regardless of how fast they're released.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017

Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil

As someone who has been reading X-Men after HoXPoX lately, I feel like just checking out the individual series is the wave. I'm not really into how the Dawn of X trades are collected.

Like yeah, it collects everything but... I don't want to read everything. Not to mention it's nice to follow a series vs jumping around. I'd buy em weekly if I want that!

(but it's really up to you, there's no wrong way to approach it and so far it doesn't feel like you HAVE to read everything in publication order at all)

And yes, read Hawkeye.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Yo what's that recent Image comic about a decomissioned mech? I think it was Titan, but I can't find it.

It's not Image, but I think you might be thinking of Giga from Vault Comics?

STL175290.jpg

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Ooh! I loved the first two books, thought it was done. Will definitely grab this.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I think Kubert's art is pretty dope during Up in the Sky. Very energetic.

Jon Kent was never sexually objectified. Showing a character naked, for a split second, for a joke, is not on the same level as say oh, this:

And I doubt Yara Flor will be as well. I honestly don't see anything about Yara Flor's design that's "horny." If other people are sexing her up then, well, can't stop that. Same thing with Punchline when that came out.
"horny" is subjective, but some of these artists are definitely leaning into the thigh and butt shots.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
"horny" is subjective, but some of these artists are definitely leaning into the thigh and butt shots.
But her design though. Same thing with Punchline. Just because she was drawn by cheesecake supreme Guillem March doesn't make her design itself very sexual. We're talking about two independent systems. Again, there have been far worse, blatantly fetishized characters in comics, just off the character's actual design alone.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
But her design though. Same thing with Punchline. Just because she was drawn by cheesecake supreme Guillem March doesn't make her design itself very sexual. We're talking about two independent systems. Again, there have been far worse, blatantly fetishized characters in comics, just off the character's actual design alone.
Punchline gets more sexualised every time someone draws her. Her boobs are roughly the size of her head now.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
when you talk about "horny" or "sexualized" designs, this is the shit I'm thinking of. Unnecessarily pointless windows for cleavage and abs, type stuff. Really, really unnecessarily skimpy outfits (Illyana very clearly has nothing underneath that loincloth save for a tail but I guess she's also not a human). That's the thing I think of.
Not athletic women with a bit of thick thigh exposure and someone who's busty. That's just pearl clutching of a different nature

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
when you talk about "horny" or "sexualized" designs, this is the shit I'm thinking of. Unnecessarily pointless windows for cleavage and abs, type stuff. Really, really unnecessarily skimpy outfits (Illyana very clearly has nothing underneath that loincloth save for a tail but I guess she's also not a human). That's the thing I think of.

Not athletic women with a bit of thick thigh exposure and someone who's busty. That's just pearl clutching of a different nature
Both of them are sexualised in that art, just not as much and with much better designs than the other characters.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Guillem March sexualises Batman. No man has that many muscles.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
bruh. don't be that guy that's like "but batman abs" in the middle of the discourse.

Am I wrong? People out here saying Joelle is sexualising a character because she has a body suit. Gimmie a break.

If people here legit look at the art posted by Joelle of Yara and they think she is sexualising her maybe those people need to look a little bit inward.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yara Flor is tough to pin down, because like: she's got thick thighs and that's the only part of her body that isn't covered. But at the same time, legs aren't really, by their nature, sexual body parts, and the design doesn't really draw any attention to them - it's just legs. If she had pants on and had her arms exposed, it'd be a different conversation, but I go back and forth on whether that distinction is valid.

But I think the line I'd draw is: can you portray this costume neutrally? I'd argue that "Power Girl with a boob window," those sort of outfits, you can't. But I'd be hard pressed to say that Jenny Frison's drawing is sexualized, and the design is identical to the main cover.

JcMcoRg.jpg

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Was watching one of Near Mint Conditions videos and he mentioned that a load more people at DC have found out they are losing their jobs after Future State. No more details, but it sucks.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Am I wrong? People out here saying Joelle is sexualising a character because she has a body suit. Gimmie a break.

If people here legit look at the art posted by Joelle of Yara and they think she is sexualising her maybe those people need to look a little bit inward.
yes, you're wrong. but further you're being that guy minimizing and defending a widespread serious issue.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I've found out the wrong way that making a joke about male sexualisation = female sexualisation does NOT go down well.
So I've learned to keep my mouth shut. 🤐

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Both of them are sexualised in that art, just not as much and with much better designs than the other characters.
Nah. You can't look at those and tell me that fit women in stylized outfits, but with two different design philosophies in their actual outfits compared to the rest is the same thing. Now sexualizing them in the story-telling? Different scenario.

It's like Poison Ivy as drawn by either Nguyen or March

Sexualizing a character using design and storytelling are two different things. Creating a sexy character is another thing. And in a world of creating characters to look stylish, looking sexy, cool, and badass are all things that tend to mix together. That's my point. Different writers and artists get ahold of these characters, as is the way of this industry and these companies. Yara Flor isn't a sexualized character by initial design, but she could potentially be by future storytelling. Same thing is the case with Punchline. This is not the same as those other costumes I posted, which are sexualized by design, and in some cases sexualized in the story (Magik oddly was not so I never understood why that costume was necessary).

Status
Not open for further replies.