• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all should be thanking Freeza and me. If we weren't buying Jim Lee X-Men comics during the 90s, you wouldn't have anything to mock and complain about today. Then where would you be, huh?!
If I could go back in time and un-buy Jim Lee X-Men, I would. Especially if it meant comics would not exist in 2021.

Shonen Jumps are okay tho

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Just reread the first few issues. Haven't read them in years. This book is just so special.
Same. I need to reread all of it. I'm still waiting to sell my floppy of #1 because I was so stoked for it to come out. Maybe when there's a movie or tv show but it'll be hard.

I owned X-men #1 but it was probably years after it came out. 90's were all about Spidey for me, X-Men second. I remember being obsessed with the show and definitely was into them before that. I still have my VHS of Pryde of the X-Men.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing some anti comic sentiment in this thread.
2021 has just started and already you are faltering in your resolve.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
So which superhero secret identity has the least improbable chance of working IRL. (Not counting Mystique type powers of course). Daredevil?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
So which superhero secret identity has the least improbable chance of working IRL. (Not counting Mystique type powers of course). Daredevil?
I think anything that has such a large part of the face exposed would be prone to facial recognition tech.
This actually happened in a Superman book.
One of Luthor's scientists face matched Superman to Clark Kent.
So of course Luthor fired her as he couldn't believe a being like Superman would ever have a secret identity. Let alone want to live a normal working life.
It was a brilliant piece of story telling in my opinion.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
This actually happened in a Superman book.
One of Luthor's scientists face matched Superman to Clark Kent.
So of course Luthor fired her as he couldn't believe a being like Superman would ever have a secret identity. Let alone want to live a normal working life.
It was a brilliant piece of story telling in my opinion.
Did they really need facial recognition tech to figure out that Superman was Clark Kent? lmaooooooo

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Like many things in Morrison's AC run, I liked kind of crusty Clark

fpncmcH.jpg

May 24, 2019
Bendis should have had a Frank Grimes type character in Metropolis constantly pointing out how people were obviously missing something fishy about Clark and then being driven to insanity when Superman reveals his identity and people are genuinely shocked.

Literally this. A secret identity makes no sense for Superman.

It makes sense for the comic because his civilian life is a giant GREAT part of his story. Superman comics wouldn't be nearly compelling without the Clark/Kal duality.
edit: And even though it's not a secret identity any more, I'm sure the life he built at the Daily Planet is still going to inform the comics.

Last edited:

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Over the past couple days I've read Jim Zub's Samurai Jack series and Strange Skies Over East Berlin by Jeff Loveness/Lisandro Estherren.

I didn't know there was a Samurai Jack series (let alone one by Jim Zub) until I was looking though the year end sales on CMX, but as a huge fan of the show I went ahead and grabbed the complete series. A variety of artists work on the book but it keeps a visual consistency with the show, and Zub has a great voice for Jack and his world. Aside from the last issue (which was a flash forward), the whole series felt like it could have been lost episodes from the show, it all fit that well. I'm probably super late to the party here, but if you're a fan of Jack and haven't read this, definitely check it out.

Strange Skies Over East Berlin is a four issue mini from Boom from 2019 that I've had my eye on the awhile, it was also on sale so I finally picked it up. The story is set in Communist era East Berlin in 1973 and focuses on a stassi agent who witnesses a UFO crash and then is pulled into the state investigation. The sci-fi aspects are really just a framing device for a much more personal story about the choices we make in life and ideas of redemption. The setting is quite honestly perfect for this kind of character study as there was so much state sponsored spying in East Berlin at the time (literally everyone was spying on everyone else), it lets Loveness really dig in. The art is stunning and appropriately moody to match the story and setting. My only real complaint is that it's only four issues long, I think there's enough there to have gone five or six. That said I really enjoyed it and am glad I finally bought it.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Bendis should have had a Frank Grimes type character in Metropolis constantly pointing out how people were obviously missing something fishy about Clark and then being driven to insanity when Superman reveals his identity and people are genuinely shocked.

It makes sense for the comic because his civilian life is a giant GREAT part of his story. Superman comics wouldn't be nearly compelling without the Clark/Kal duality.
edit: And even though it's not a secret identity any more, I'm sure the life he built at the Daily Planet is still going to inform the comics.

That's not what I was arguing. In other words: there's no reason for anyone to think he has a secret identity when he's got the powers of Superman.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
They added Batman TAS to Max today. I'm rewatching the Harley & Ivy episode now and kinda forgot how good this show still looks.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon UK are now charging import tax on top of making every book much closer to retail price last year. Thanks Brexit. 🤣

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I guess the question is should I sub now or wait. They aren't real clear about if there will be a new iOS app or just rebranding the existing one. I heard the existing app isn't all that great in terms of keeping track of what to read and what you've read.
I would say either way you're getting the content.
Mine is Rogue or Gambit
I like it, but sometimes the Cajun or deep southern is a little over done and it hurts my head. Same with Harley Quinn.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
The Justice Society should go back to Earth-2.
I support this to an extent. I think we need more alternate Earth books (Earth 3 got me hype and I want an Earth 11 book last week), but also I want a lot of those characters interacting with the current DCU. There's no reason Stargirl and STRIPE and Allen Scott and Jay Garrick and Wildcat shouldn't be in the main continuity now. Plus Earth 2 would need a reboot. I wouldn't mind them going back to that Earth, but I was really bummed out at the direction Abnett took it in.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Trade deals. I'm in Ireland. The UK voted to leave. As of yesterday there are different rules re import tax shipping into the EU from the UK.

Oh shit, I forgot about UK --> EU tax, was only thinking about my friends complaining about tax while importing into the UK now.

Can't you order from bookdespoitory or cheap-comics?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I support this to an extent. I think we need more alternate Earth books (Earth 3 got me hype and I want an Earth 11 book last week), but also I want a lot of those characters interacting with the current DCU. There's no reason Stargirl and STRIPE and Allen Scott and Jay Garrick and Wildcat shouldn't be in the main continuity now. Plus Earth 2 would need a reboot. I wouldn't mind them going back to that Earth, but I was really bummed out at the direction Abnett took it in.

Earth 3 is a weird book. They should do Earth-11 because that's the wave at the moment, people would love it. But they should also do an Earth-2 book. None of that "Seven Wonders" junk. Classic 1980s Earth-2. Give them back Commissioner Wayne.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, I forgot about UK --> EU tax, was only thinking about my friends complaining about tax while importing into the UK now.

Can't you order from bookdespoitory or cheap-comics?

Book depository are in the UK.

I realised yesterday that ist now ships by fed ex to Ireland and that's 50$ up to 400$ worth of books. So that's much cheaper given ists prices. Gonna go back to ordering from them.

Does anyone even remember what the motivation behind Brexit was in the first place? It was probably something racist.

Racism.

That and the brexit party sold lies to the people and abandoned them.

But definitely racism

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Earth 3 is a weird book. They should do Earth-11 because that's the wave at the moment, people would love it. But they should also do an Earth-2 book. None of that "Seven Wonders" junk. Classic 1980s Earth-2. Give them back Commissioner Wayne.
Like I support it, but also I genuinely enjoyed the concepts and ideas and characters from New 52/DCYou Earth 2, so then I don't. The twists they had on those characters and storylines were awesome. It was just such a mess of constant switching between writers that it lacked direction and ended up a giant nothing. Shame, really.

But also I support more alternate Earth books so fuck it let's do it

May 24, 2019
Wasn't there a thing where the UK wasn't going to charge vat or w/e on digital goods (aka CMX comics) this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.