• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't heard about a few of those titles. Obscure stuff is always good in my book. Welcome! :)

I remember I saw most of Wonder Woman 1984 last night with some friends on Discord. I don't care about most superhero films so I didn't see the OG WW film. But I read the spoilers.

That said, WW: 1984 was bad and I wasn't drinking then. I laughed out during the White House fight Pedro Pascal was fun though. The dude really hammed it up. I'm glad they made Max Lord's origin Latino. It was probably because Pascal pushed for diversity. And Chris Pine made the best of it even if I rolled my eyes several times.

Gadot was as stiff as a toilet seat and Kristen Wiig was miscast. Just a bad film overall and super overt pro-American military propaganda (Isn't that every cape film though?). Would watch again for Pedro Pascal and because I missed the famous talking stone MacGuffin . I heard Pedro Pascal looked at Nic Cage's hammy performances and went to town.

I liked Wiig, honestly, and thought she did the best she could with the absolutely awful material. Pascal, Pine, and Wiig tried to salvage it, but it was an impossible task.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
It's been a while since I read it, but I really liked it. Like Oracle Code, it's a stand alone. Cass "fails" her last assassination mission and hides in a library, learning to communicate from observing the people who frequent it. It's all about not letting the past define you who you are and being able to choose who your family is.

shadowofthebatgirl-018kj5f.jpg
SHADOWBG_1_1.jpg
d2547qx34mc51.png
shadowofthebatgirl-10n5kw2.jpg
I bought it during a sale but still haven't read it after reading the preview on Comixology. I'm more interested now. I remember seeing a tweet by a random fan asking the writer to write a new Birds of Prey book featuring Cass, Harper, and Steph and she said she'd love to so that intrigued me more as to how she'd written the character.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I'll def check it out!

The first issue is a follow-up to X-men #5, and then they all happen just somewhere between then and X of Swords. They seed some future plots and stuff, but mostly the story is just there to let whichever artist is drawing the issue flex their muscles and stuff. They're fun
I think all of them were pretty nonessential unless you're a fan of the artist. Obviously I really liked the Jean and Emma one because it's Dautermann and a semi sequel to Morrison's stuff. I can't remember any being must reads in a certain order but I didn't get the Storm one.
I see. I got the trade since it was hella cheap. So TY for feedback. I guess I can start it now if I want lol
DC hasn't had better sales than Marvel since like 1998, when Marvel was going bankrupt.
when do you switch to an idolmaster avatar?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah and look how that ended up. Brief sales flashes followed by returning to their number two spot.

Marvel's pulled ahead in the market basically since the 60s.

That's what happens when you hire people who say things like "Justice Society is a good comic that's selling decently? Cancel it. DC shouldn't be publishing comics about senior citizens." That's not from Johns' run. This happened in the 90's. Mike Carlin had them cancel a title that people liked and was selling well because HE didn't think it should exist. DC destroys what people love about it then wonder how they can get their sales up.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I liked Wiig, honestly, and thought she did the best she could with the absolutely awful material. Pascal, Pine, and Wiig tried to salvage it, but it was an impossible task.
After letting it stew for longer, Wiig did the best she could. She totally went all in hamming it up. I found the final fight fairly fun. Even though the Cheetah costume didn't quite look anything like the comics. I 100% agree it was an awful script and poorly written character motivations. Plus it didn't save Gadot from being so dull.

Honestly, I have no idea how Gadot got a Hollywood acting career. 🤷‍♂️ My best friend told me the Fast and The Furious reboot blew her up. I've only seen her in Triple 9 and she was the old attractive and scantily clad love interest of one of the heroes trope but lifeless AF. That movie was also pretty terrible and I saw it for free with said friend.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I have no idea how Gadot got a Hollywood acting career. 🤷‍♂️ My best friend told me the Fast and The Furious reboot blew her up. I've only seen her in Triple 9 and she was the old attractive, scantily clad love interest of one of the heroes trope but lifeless AF. That movie was also pretty terrible and I saw it for free with said friend.
Gadot is really dull in the Fast and the Furious movies too.
Maybe not as much as she is in Wonder Woman though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what happens when you hire people who say things like "Justice Society is a good comic that's selling decently? Cancel it. DC shouldn't be publishing comics about senior citizens." That's not from Johns' run. This happened in the 90's. Mike Carlin had them cancel a title that people liked and was selling well because HE didn't think it should exist. DC destroys what people love about it then wonder how they can get their sales up.

I know exactly what kind of DCU I like. It's the one where all the good ideas were coming back after DiDio forced them out for more tits and violence, then when he got full control again he did it all over again.

DC has its own niche and audience and instead of capitalizing on everything that makes their universe great and distinct from Marvel they double down on every shitty trend they can think of. If they can't have all the money then it's worthless.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Gadot is really dull in the Fast and the Furious movies too.
Maybe not as much as she is in Wonder Woman though.
Maybe Warner Media will get her right on the small screen someday once they get tired of Gadot. Pascal's Maxwell Lord was much better than Super Girl's version of Maxwell Lord though so sometimes it's the opposite effect. Now I'm thinking about Gabriel Luna's performance as Ghost Rider in Agents of Shield and I feel sad he didn't get his own series. 😭

Ya'll are reminding me to give the Rucka WW run a whirl. I'll make it a goal to try and read more DC stuff this year. Dan Mora has my attention so it's a start. Tynion IV's Batman run I will have to try too.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
I know exactly what kind of DCU I like. It's the one where all the good ideas were coming back after DiDio forced them out for more tits and violence, then when he got full control again he did it all over again.

DC has its own niche and audience and instead of capitalizing on everything that makes their universe great and distinct from Marvel they double down on every shitty trend they can think of. If they can't have all the money then it's worthless.

And that's where you get the idea that reebots are part of DC's identity, because they keep doing it all the time.

Remember when New 52 got rid of all married couples because Didio said it alienated reader, and then they brought back Superman married with a kid and it was the best run since Morrison?

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
BKatastrophe enjoying Rucka's original WW run makes me happy. Not nearly enough people talk about how great that book is.
I think what I like the most about it is all the characters and storylines he manages to have going on at once. There's never a dull moment. If it's not Athena and her crew plotting around then it's Ares, and if it's not him then it's Circe, and if it's not her then it's Veronica, and then you have Diana and everyone at the embassy and Leslie. Everyone has such fully developed motivations, too. There's always something happening. It feels very character driven, and I like that. Over all the runs of Wonder Woman I've read I think I've finally gotten a grasp on why I like the character so much and she honestly might be one of my favorite superheroes ever now.

My one problem is that the Ferdinand/Leslie relationship feels a bit forced. Like all of a sudden Ferdinand wants to "remove his curse" so Leslie will look at him like a man and I'm like "but all you've done is bring her food."

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
gal gadot sucks as wonder woman. she has zero charisma and does like nothing to channel diana's character imo

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
And that's where you get the idea that reebots are part of DC's identity, because they keep doing it all the time.

Remember when New 52 got rid of all married couples because Didio said it alienated reader, and then they brought back Superman married with a kid and it was the best run since Morrison?
All that tells me is DC are their own worst enemy with regards to their characters and identity.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

More like, "if they can't have the money THEIR way" it's worthless.

No joke, Dan Didio has played a part in completely ruining DC's continuity. Right now "everything's canon" because they can't actually find a way to make a specific canon because they've fucked it too much.

gal gadot sucks as wonder woman. she has zero charisma and does like nothing to channel diana's character imo

She's ok. Needs a better director tbh. Her speech at the end of the new movie was "decent" if not great, but the way it was set up and shot was questionable at best.

I think what I like the most about it is all the characters and storylines he manages to have going on at once. There's never a dull moment. If it's not Athena and her crew plotting around then it's Ares, and if it's not him then it's Circe, and if it's not her then it's Veronica, and then you have Diana and everyone at the embassy and Leslie. Everyone has such fully developed motivations, too. There's always something happening. It feels very character driven, and I like that. Over all the runs of Wonder Woman I've read I think I've finally gotten a grasp on why I like the character so much and she honestly might be one of my favorite superheroes ever now.

My one problem is that the Ferdinand/Leslie relationship feels a bit forced. Like all of a sudden Ferdinand wants to "remove his curse" so Leslie will look at him like a man and I'm like "but all you've done is bring her food."

Rucka's run made her catapult into my Top 10 easily. Potentially my Top 5 if you pushed me, she's amazing when she's written well. If you get the chance, the Phil Jimenez run is great too.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
DC is in perpetual little brother mode.

Didn't the New 52 happen in the first place because DiDio's bosses got on his case to drum up sales?
I feel like Didio ended up with the majority of the blame for DCs fucked up line.
But I doubt we will ever know to what extent he was actually responsible.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
DC is in perpetual little brother mode.

Didn't the New 52 happen in the first place because DiDio's bosses got on his case to drum up sales?

At the time yeah their sales were considered unacceptable. But they didn't need a reboot, they needed a line refresh like Marvel did with Marvel NOW. Take some high profile creators and put them on books with new ideas. This always failed because Didio reached out to the wrong people. This is why Rebirth was a bigger success than New 52 in my eyes.

The New 52 had higher initial sales, but their weakest books took way less time to hit cancellation levels. 8 months to Rebirth's year plus.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Also Rebirth was Geoff Johns but things took a turn once Johns jumped to the shows and movies and DD took over again and things once again got stupid.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Also Rebirth was Geoff Johns but things took a turn once Johns jumped to the shows and movies and DD took over again and things once again got stupid.

The Johns thing is interesting to me, because the setup was so good, but the stuff he eventually delivered years afterward stunk. Shazam! started well, but his other projects were underwhelming, to be kind. I don't know if the delays and editorial changes screwed everything, or if he had great ideas but didn't actually think through an endgame.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

ResetEra Thread of the Month Contest Nomination Thread - January 2021

Greetings! I'm sure you read the title and are currently asking yourself multiple questions, some of which may include; What is the ResetEra thread of the month contest? How do I participate? Can penguins actually ice skate? How can a mod have such great taste in Pokemon? All your questions...

Vote for our thread so we can get the spotlight. I'm not allowed to nominate us.

spiderferi

Apr 15, 2018
Tehran, Iran
Imagine Hickman writing Spidey books. Seriously it might be outrageous but he might go for some full on gangwar shit with Spidey/DD, street level stuff. Man I want it to happen, altho Hickman doesn't like Spidey at all.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I recall really liking Rucka Wonder Woman, but then the Infinite Crisis/Max Lord stuff popping up derailed it and IIRC it didn't recover and just kinda stopped with stuff hanging. At least from what I recall, it was a run that feels like it's building towards something, but then is never allowed to get there, which is a shame and a big pet peeve for me.

Wish Marvel/DC would give more leeway to wrap things up on series on the way out than they seem to (IE be like "okay, we're cancelling your run. You have X months to tie things up neatly"), but a lot of times it feels even worse than insta-cancelled Shonen Jump series jumping to an end... (Though admittedly that leeway's probably easier to give in a weekly anthology magazine than standalone monthly comics...)

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Hickman writing Spidey books. Seriously it might be outrageous but he might go for some full on gangwar shit with Spidey/DD, street level stuff. Man I want it to happen, altho Hickman doesn't like Spidey at all.
Doesn't he?
That's a shame. I'd like to see how a Hickamn Spider-man run would turn out.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I remember an interview with Ben Percy about Green Arrow Rebirth about Johns bringing him into a room, sitting him in front of a board, and just story boarding everything that they thought of that made Green Arrow "Green Arrow."

First thing they thought of was the beard, which Percy said he wasn't allowed to do in the N52. I also remember in a much later interview after leaving the book that Percy said he had plans to bring in Connor Hawke eventually.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread from Jen about how awful the US government is and the fucked hellscape it's created. Jen is good.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I think Brother Eye has my favorite non-normal dialogue style in comics. Just the bubbles and using "eye". Just so perfectly ominous and creepy.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Here's Phillip Kennedy Johnson talking about his original 5G plans and how he plans on integrating them into his Superman run:

Phillip Kennedy Johnson: So I was involved in 5G, it was not on Superman though. They were building this cosmic line and I was brought in to be a big part of that again. It's like, we got this guy who writes songs and languages and ancient texts that don't actually show up on the page, he's just like he's psycho, so let's bring him in to help his world build.

And that was my role and as the vision for 5G changed and ultimately kind of went away, we still had all these people doing amazing super creative things. We still wanted to do all these stories, there was some such great work being done because the concept of 5G was just so unbelievably audacious and bold and just aggressive. They were just blowing everything up into starting completely over. It was just so much creativity in the air.

So when we decided to go a different direction, we still want to get to a lot of those ideas. But now we're going to be doing them more organically if that makes sense. We're going to get to these ideas as the as it makes sense to get to them. So Future State takes the best part of 5G without having to destroy continuity. It's this blank slate where we can do anything because it's speculative future stuff where you can be anything.

If you want to tie it in to what's coming you can, you should potentially, but you don't have to. It can be things that might happen, features that we need to be aware of, it's just so much freedom to do anything and this honestly has been some of my favourite work to write at DC or anywhere. Because you're taking these characters that you love and you can do literally anything with them.

Quote is from his Word Ballon Podcast interview, copied from BC:
bleedingcool.com

Phillip Kennedy Johnson Was Hired By DC For 5G - But Not On Superman

One of Bleeding Cool's biggest scoops of 2019 was the news that DC Comics was planning a major relaunch called 5G. It would have seen the DC Comics

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
DC doesn't need blowing up and restarting. They tried that with the New 52 and it didn't work.
They just need good new creative teams, writing the best stories they can, with the characters they enjoy.
And not cancelling well recieved books before they get and chance to bloom.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember an interview with Ben Percy about Green Arrow Rebirth about Johns bringing him into a room, sitting him in front of a board, and just story boarding everything that they thought of that made Green Arrow "Green Arrow."

First thing they thought of was the beard, which Percy said he wasn't allowed to do in the N52. I also remember in a much later interview after leaving the book that Percy said he had plans to bring in Connor Hawke eventually.

They actually teased Connor midway through the Rebirth run - was always curious how they'd work him in with a younger Ollie. Would have had an interesting dynamic with the modern Team Arrow guys.

In retrospect they really fucked up Rebirth Green Arrow. Percy gets moved to Nightwing (where he lasts, like, six issues before he gets booted for the whole Ric Grayson nonsense and goes to Marvel), they bounce it from team to team without any real plan, gets cancelled at like a year later. Now we're coming up on two years and GA hasn't had a book since. At least he'll be in the Bendis League, but like, I can't think of the last time he didn't have his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.