• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you currently read Spawn? (No judgement, only stats)

• Yes

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • No

Votes: 81 94.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm weird. I never really like many tv show adaptions of comic books.
Always feels like I am just watching an inferior version of what I have already read.

I do kinda like other media being adapted into comic books though lol.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i checked the omnibus facebook group and it's filled with folk asking "is this good?" and absolutely zero responses from people who have actually read the book. lol, how did everyone miss this neil gaiman adaptation?

also, how weird is it that gaiman didn't handle the adaptation himself?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
i checked the omnibus facebook group and it's filled with folk asking "is this good?" and absolutely zero responses from people who have actually read the book. lol, how did everyone miss this neil gaiman adaptation?

Today is literally the first time I ever knew the comic adaption existed.
Super weird.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
i checked the omnibus facebook group and it's filled with folk asking "is this good?" and absolutely zero responses from people who have actually read the book. lol, how did everyone miss this adaptation?

It is weird, any maybe Darkhorse didn't market it. I remember the minotaur on the shelves but it was probably sandwiched on the new releases shelf between twenty ASM and Avengers variants.

I can't think of any Dark Horse I've bought off the shelf in years.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Dark Horse would get off their arse and reprint the BPRD volumes.
I am missing Hell on Earth #2 and I'll be dammed if am paying over £100 quid for it.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been complaining about the TV show in the discord, it's gotten so bad. I have higher hopes for the comic.

It's such a bummer - a good adaptation of American Gods could have been a huge hit, and I had it in the back of my mind for years. Who to cast, how to divide it up, the right style and tone to use. It wasn't without its strong points, but it was a waste of such strong material. I never even bothered finishing the second season. Actually, I can't even remember if I started the second season...

After all this time, I think Coraline is still the only good Gaiman adaptation. (Maybe Good Omens, I didn't hear much about that after it dropped.)

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's such a bummer - a good adaptation of American Gods could have been a huge hit, and I had it in the back of my mind for years. Who to cast, how to divide it up, the right style and tone to use. It wasn't without its strong points, but it was a waste of such strong material. I never even bothered finishing the second season. Actually, I can't even remember if I started the second season...

After all this time, I think Coraline is the only good Gaiman adaptation. (Maybe Good Omens, I didn't hear much about that after it dropped.)
I've stuck with it, and season 2 was a mega turd, but there is lots of behind the scenes drama that ruined all three seasons. This current season the cast has shifted, the tone was supposed to match the books but it's still baffling. Forgive me, it's been over a Decade since I read the book. Shadow moves to Lakeside for unclarified but specific reasons but he spends little time there are he has to leave to wherever the larger plot is taking place constantly. WHAT IS WITH THE LAKESIDE STUFF. STAY THERE AND FIND OUT! He's stablished himself there but is in a different city for the episodes so far.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

He usually doesn't right?

I love the Neverwhere comic adaptation (Mike Carey) so was keeping an eye on American Gods. Just never got around to it.

Yeah that seems way overpriced.

Standard Absolute sized pricing. Actually a decent price for that considering DC does $125 for 6 issues too...

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
He usually doesn't right?

I love the Neverwhere comic adaptation (Mike Carey) so was keeping an eye on American Gods. Just never got around to it.
you're right. i thought the stuff in his library books were self-adapted, but I was wrong. P. Craig Russell's done Gaiman's Graveyard Book and Murder Mysteries (and maybe others?) adaptations before, both of which are outstanding.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
From what I read it sounds like Gaiman oversaw the adaption even if he didn't personally write the scripts.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I never watched the American Gods show but I felt the novel was super overrated. It was so hyped up and had cool parts, but I enjoyed Neverwhere, Graveyard Book, and even Odd and the Frost Giants much more.

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was stupid enough to read the plot of the original book on Wikipedia and all of the episodes seem pretty faithful to the source material.

Laura is barely in the book, and is all over the show (and basically a different character). Anasi isn't in the book that I recall (maybe as a cameo), he's in another Gaiman book but is a lead in season 2. The gay couple I don't even remember from the book and they're all over season 2.

It's kinda faithful but not that faithful.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Always feels like I am just watching an inferior version of what I have already read.

Typically I agree. I like when they do something original storywise, but are able to keep the actual characters as close as possible to their original versions. Like the Netflix Daredevil show is the best example I can think of.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The overall arc of the story is faithful, but yeah, it's the details that feel off. Lakeview (from what I can tell) seems really under-focused on in show; there's not a lot of plot there in the book, but there's a lot of time there setting up characters, mood, pacing. Way more Laura in the show. Characters from the mini vignettes (like Bilquis and the taxi driver) get promoted to main roles that don't quite fit with the trajectory of the story.

And a lot of characters are just... shuffled around. Like, Easter in the book is kind of a hippie chick, free love, San Francisco. In the show she's living in a mansion. The whole "Jesus" episode does some weird curveballs with the lore. Some casting is brilliant - Peter Stormare as Czernobog, Crispin Glover as Mr. World - the rest is a mixed bag.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

A recurring theme in anti-semitism (and white supremacy and fascism more broadly) is the transparently implausible apology. The point is to be disbelieved by your critics and victims while providing enough cover for yourself if possible. It's about driving home the power imbalance and asserting control over the truth. "Look while I lie directly to your face. Yeah, I misspelled Jewelry, oops! Happens to best of us, definitely pay no attention to the star of David."
Right, yeah I get that. That's why I said like I can believe misspelling "jewelry," but there's no reason a Star of David should have ended up on that window unless Al Ewing wanted one on there. Based on that "apology"— given that Ewing hasn't said anything yet — it sounds like it was Bennett's decision to do that. So I don't buy it all together.

I think it's time accept that Riverdale is the peak of comic book adaptations

This show is still on?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I think I hate Zack Snyder.

He clearly couldn't give two shits about the characters he's adapting.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

I suppose it's a preference of mediums. Power Rangers is the best example that I can think of that has benefitted the most as a comic book series.

For as nostalgic as I am for the show, it's the comic book adaptations that have provide the most critically acclaimed Power Rangers material to date.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this means Midnighter moves from backup to miniseries as well

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I'm exactly the same - I haven't watched a single tv show based on a comic book? An animation? Sure, I might take a look, but I really can't care about live action stuff.

Even with movies, after Avengers: Endgame, I'm pretty much done. I haven't watched a single super hero movie after that.

One thing that I always wanted to see, if possible, is Marvel/DC trying to adapt some sort of storyline in a format similar to anime, meaning: no major changes and trying to stick to the source material as close as possible. I know there are some movies that do this but I'm curious if an animated series with 12-24 episodes could be done haha.

---------------

In other stuff, I just read Spider-Man: Life-Story and LOVED it. Man, such a good book! I hope Chip gets more opportunities to write Spidey in the future.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Some reported restocks that should be coming soon:

-SPIDER-MAN BEN REILLY OMNIBUS HC VOL 02
-BOYS OMNIBUS TP VOL 04 (MR)
-BOYS OMNIBUS TP VOL 05 (MR)
-20TH CENTURY BOYS TP VOL 03 PERFECT ED URASAWA
-AMERICAN BORN CHINESE SC
-DRAGON HOOPS HC GN
-BERLIN TP COMPLETE (MR)
-BONE ONE VOL ED SC NEW PTG
-JUNJI ITOS DISSOLVING CLASSROOM GN (MR)
-KENT STATE FOUR DEAD IN OHIO GN

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

Yo

"I already told Josh that I want to make Punchline vs. Flatline happen in the near future."

Also

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fc76fc1a3-1270-420e-addb-1260ca3035db_2165x3307.jpeg

😍😍

Jorge Jimenez the madman

I honestly do appreciate that they keep taking swings and are adding new characters alongside the established bug baddies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017

Justice League by Brian Michael Bendis, David Marquez, and Tamra Bonvillain

Batman by James Tynion IV, Jorge Jiménez, and Tomeu Morey

Wonder Woman by Becky Cloonan & Michael W. Conrad, Alitha Martinez & Mark Morales, Emilio Lopez

Wonder Girl by Joëlle Jones and Jordie Bellaire

Green Lantern: Alan Scott by James Tynion IV and Stephen Byrne

Teen Titans Academy by Tim Sheridan, Rafa Sandoval & Jordi Tarragona, and Alejandro Sanchez

Superman by Phillip Kennedy Johnson, Jamal Igle, and Hi-Fi

Green Arrow & Black Canary by Joshua Williamson, Alex Maleev, and Jordie Bellaire

Stargirl by Geoff Johns, Todd Nauck, and Hi-Fi

Green Lanterns by Geoffrey Thorne, Dexter Soy, and Alex Sinclair

The Flash by Joshua Williamson, Howard Porter, and Hi-Fi

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Give Gurihiru a book that isn't like the recent Spidey and Venom or the upcoming Thor and Loki. Put them on Ms Marvel.

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
I might try the Alan Scott book.

Also happy to see Jamal Igle on a flagship book; he's been too good for too long not to have a big run somewhere.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Justice League by Brian Michael Bendis, David Marquez, and Tamra Bonvillain

Batman by James Tynion IV, Jorge Jiménez, and Tomeu Morey

Wonder Woman by Becky Cloonan & Michael W. Conrad, Alitha Martinez & Mark Morales, Emilio Lopez

Wonder Girl by Joëlle Jones and Jordie Bellaire

Green Lantern: Alan Scott by James Tynion IV and Stephen Byrne

Teen Titans Academy by Tim Sheridan, Rafa Sandoval & Jordi Tarragona, and Alejandro Sanchez

Superman by Phillip Kennedy Johnson, Jamal Igle, and Hi-Fi

Green Arrow & Black Canary by Joshua Williamson, Alex Maleev, and Jordie Bellaire

Stargirl by Geoff Johns, Todd Nauck, and Hi-Fi

Green Lanterns by Geoffrey Thorne, Dexter Soy, and Alex Sinclair

The Flash by Joshua Williamson, Howard Porter, and Hi-Fi

this is just the creative teams for the one shot stories right?

Status
Not open for further replies.