• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you currently read Spawn? (No judgement, only stats)

• Yes

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • No

Votes: 81 94.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
star of david on the window is suspect but merely having a jewish jewelry store ehhhh, the history is there you've just gotta walk a fine line portraying it because a proliferation of jews in any industry is almost assuredly due to antisemitism. banking, hollywood, comics, etc. it's the combination of everything on the page that makes it especially egregious. and that it's joe bennett

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Like he doesn't even give a reason for adding the Star of David at all

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
star of david on the window is suspect but merely having a jewish jewelry store ehhhh, the history is there you've just gotta walk a fine line portraying it because a proliferation of jews in any industry is almost assuredly due to antisemitism. banking, hollywood, comics, etc. it's the combination of everything on the page that makes it especially egregious. and that it's joe bennett
I can't believe he put "jewery." He must think he's so clever.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

You're not finding a jewelry store with a big ass Star of David in the window. Come on now.

Even actual Judaica stores, which are literally for the purpose of Jewish gifts, don't go that far. It's comical.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're not finding a jewelry store with a big ass Star of David in the window. Come on now.

Even actual Judaica stores, which are literally for the purpose of Jewish gifts, don't go that far. It's comical.

that's why I said the star of david was suspect! was really just saying that jews in jewelry is A Thing in regards to posts saying a jewish owned jewelry store was part of the issue. it was the portrayal with the star and the misspelling which I ain't buying for a second. I'm a jeweler, I've misspelled different variations of that word all the time. but the "l" has to go somewhere and there is none

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I might have bought that it was a mistake and accepted the apology if not for Bennet being the one doing it

With him though, no chance he wasn't trying to pull a sneaky. I understand if he has already been contracted for the rest of the issues but I really hope he doesn't get more work

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's like, people can misspell mississippi but there's gonna be some S's and some P's in there in some kind of semi logical sequence! jewery????

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How'd that X-Men Gold guy get kicked? I thought he basically torpedoed his career with that.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
How'd that X-Men Gold guy get kicked? I thought he basically torpedoed his career with that.

He does commissions now for people who don't care about what he believes in for way less money than he used to charge. Not for me mind you.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The second I noticed it was spelled "Cronemberg" I knew he was going to use that as cover. Like, if I misspell both, it'll obviously just be a mistake, no one can get mad!

Like, it's a three strikes you're out thing here - benefit of the doubt was gone like a year ago. But I doubt Marvel has any intention of making a public thing of it, and we'll be lucky if they just don't hire him again in the future. But like they still back John Byrne and stuff so who knows.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up reading all of Yara Flor's comics, I'm so happy she has always been Wonder Woman and no one else has taken her mantel from her.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
jobber Cassie Sandsmark.
e63792c507b99253676df2c9ddab8387.gif

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, not really? She's still going to be Wonder Woman. Yara Flor is just replacing that jobber Cassie Sandsmark.
I wasn't really being serious, but Diana is pretty much gone for the time being. She's going to be doing stuff separated from everything else with Yara and Hippolyta filling her role.

INFINITE_FRONTIER_Cv0_5fdbfbfb300929.10123869.jpg

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Joelle Jones is just a more refined Greg Land, don't @ me.
I mean I said this before.
Is the hype for Yara Flor real? I haven't seen mention of the Future State stuff at all. Are folk mostly just into it for the art and sex appeal or is there a good story there?
I haven't read the most recent week, but she's a really cool character and the first issue was pretty dope.
Heroes Reborn really is just What if Marvel was DC?

Love Zub getting his hands on the kids again (I meant writing!)

Miles is inspired by Falcon for sure.

No idea about Kamala and I know Sam is super obvious, but I can't think of it.
Yeah, probably. This is one of those "Venom" things, where the average reader online person loves the hell out of it. It does help to step out of thread and look around at times.

EDIT: Oh, I guess that makes Batman Who Laughs one of the major breakout characters of the past few years. Hell, he's got action figures.
If we're talking Rebirth era (2016-2020), the breakout characters are:

The Batman Who Laughs
Punchline
Jon Kent
Silencer

That's really it. I would say from this past era the closest to pop next are Jo Mullein (she'll be in the main GL book post-Future State), Naomi (has been in all of Bendis' DC books and this includes the main Justice League book post-Future State), and Crush (Future State Teen Titans and post-Future State Teen Titans Academy).

Already with Future State (2021- )
Yara Flor

Possibly Flatline. I'm surprised you don't hear any love for Jace/Tim Fox.
Oh he straight up copped to it when he got called out. Went "yup fuck them Jews." Right piece of trash he is.
PREACH

Nobody talk shit about our girl
Donna and Cassie about to fall down into the same hole where Garth lives.
To be fair I don't think Garth has many fans to begin with

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

I haven't read the most recent week, but she's a really cool character and the first issue was pretty dope.

The Batman Who Laughs
Punchline
Jon Kent
Silencer

That's really it. I would say from this past era the closest to pop next are Jo Mullein (she'll be in the main GL book post-Future State), Naomi (has been in all of Bendis' DC books and this includes the main Justice League book post-Future State), and Crush (Future State Teen Titans and post-Future State Teen Titans Academy).

Yara Flor

Oh he straight up copped to it when he got called out. Went "yup fuck them Jews." Right piece of trash he is.

PREACH

Miles is Falcon and Nighthawk's partner after Sam apparently died. He's a Robin(I'm guessing Tim) expy

Kamala is Girl Power, who is a Cassie expy, but connected to Power Princess

Sam is Kid Spectrum and seems to be a Wally expy, but tied to Doctor Spectrum to keep the cosmic aspect

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

The Batman Who Laughs
Punchline
Jon Kent
Silencer

I haven't heard about Silencer is a long time, though she was the most successful of that mass of heroes. (Sideways might be the other?)

Yara Flor

Actually, I think Crush might be doing better than Naomi, but it's hard to read because searching "DC crush" brings up some other results at times.

The problem with Tim Fox is two-fold. One, I've only had like one issue, and at the moment he's just Batman. Two, you already have a young Bathero in the Fox family, and I worry that Fox Batman will minimize Batwing.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Miles is Falcon and Nighthawk's partner after Sam apparently died. He's a Robin(I'm guessing Tim) expy

Kamala is Girl Power, who is a Cassie expy, but connected to Power Princess

Sam is Kid Spectrum and seems to be a Wally expy, but tied to Doctor Spectrum to keep the cosmic aspect
Sounds super cool. Can't wait.
I haven't heard about Silencer is a long time, though she was the most successful of that mass of heroes. (Sideways might be the other?)

Actually, I think Crush might be doing better than Naomi, but it's hard to read because searching "DC crush" brings up some other results at times.

The problem with Tim Fox is two-fold. One, I've only had like one issue, and at the moment he's just Batman. Two, you already have a young Bathero in the Fox family, and I worry that Fox Batman will minimize Batwing.
Silencer and Sideways were the two longest running, but Sideways only showed up in one book outside of his own ongoing I think and that was Young Justice for that arc that Bendis just brought in a shit ton of young heroes

Silencer popped up in multiple other books I believe (such as Nightwing for sure), plus showed up in Arrow.

The Fox family as a whole is getting a lot more focus in Tynion's Batman run post-FS as well, so we'll see how it goes.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Wouldn't be the first time in Donna's case.
Ain't that the truth.

The Batman Who Laughs
Punchline
Jon Kent
Silencer

Yara Flor

PREACH

I mean I don't care about Garth either, but I'm a filthy casual whose first intro to the legacies was the Young Justice cartoon. Kaldur is my guy.

I think part of the reason you don't hear much about Jace is so far we don't really know what the long term plans for him are. Is he going to wind up being co-Batman or will they make him take on another mantle? And also he's up against a bunch of other Batfamily members who are all fighting for attention, most of whom have much larger fanbases.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I really wish Sideways would get another chance. Maybe the series wasn't so great, but was some serious potential for the character. I guess he was in Young Justice through, but I haven't gotten to that part.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did that Immortal Hulk scene take place in New York City? There are a lot of jewish-owned jewelry businesses there, especially in the "Diamond District", but they certainly don't have the Star of David plastered on their windows or a name like "Jewery." That's pretty blatant and unnecessary and just plain mean (and racist obviously).

Status
Not open for further replies.