• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you currently read Spawn? (No judgement, only stats)

• Yes

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • No

Votes: 81 94.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2019
Serious question for everyone that I think deserves to be asked, even if it's ultimately disagreed with. Do we feel strongly enough about Bennett's bigotry, especially now that it has been drawn into Immortal Hulk, that we want to protest Immortal Hulk and block its nomination from 2021's Game of the Year? Note a vote, yet. I'd just like to offer the idea up for discussion.

It definitely shouldn't win game of the year.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
Serious question for everyone that I think deserves to be asked, even if it's ultimately disagreed with. Do we feel strongly enough about Bennett's bigotry, especially now that it has been drawn into Immortal Hulk, that we want to protest Immortal Hulk and block its nomination from 2021's Game of the Year? Note a vote, yet. I'd just like to offer the idea up for discussion.
I think it disqualifies the issues Bennett has worked on, and depending on how Marvel react it might disqualify the whole series.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I think we need to wait and see what Marvel's response is to the situation.
I dont think its fair to Ewing at all to trash the series based on the action of one shitty artist.
Now if Marvel do nothing, then we have a problem.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
As long as were not cancelling the best book Bennett has done some work on, Preist's Deathstroke!

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
it doesn't seem that unlikely that something like that would slip by. I doubt any of the eyeballs on the book pre-release were scoping the backgrounds for weird stuff. lol for me it wasn't until the second time I looked at it I noticed the star, no way I'd have noticed had I actually been reading through the book and not seeing someone bring attention to the page.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
it doesn't seem that unlikely that something like that would slip by. I doubt any of the eyeballs on the book pre-release were scoping the backgrounds for weird stuff. lol for me it wasn't until the second time I looked at it I noticed the star, no way I'd have noticed had I actually been reading through the book and not seeing someone bring attention to the page.

Maybe they should given its happened twice in the last few years...

Joelle and Jordie are powerhouses

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I don't see the point of blocking any nomination tbh. Those that feel strongly enough will naturally not vote for it, there's no need to ban it from even being voted

It's truly the pity such a great book is shackled to a shitty artist

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of interesting that all of DC's newly popular characters in recent memory have been women. Jessica Cruz, Namoi, punchline, flatline etc.

Only male characters I can't think of are Jon Kent and Aqualad.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of interesting that all of DC's newly popular characters in recent memory have been women. Jessica Cruz, Namoi, punchline, flatline etc.

Aqualad has been around for 10 years, so I don't think he should count. He's had new life in him as of light, but everyone else is newer than him.

May 24, 2019
Nah man everyone loves Ghost Maker, Clown Wrecker, Justice Doer, Thing Stopper. All them Tynion drop crotch pants boyz.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can I read the original Vaughn run then skip to the Rowell run?
Or do I need to read the in-between stuff?

Also thanks for explaining it to me.

You can probably skip most of it - the actual "Runaways" stuff (not just random appearances) after Vaughn is PROBABLY worth reading, and Vol 3 is only like 11 issues anyways so they're not hard to burn through, but Rowell does a pretty good job explaining whatever else has happened in the interim, so I don't think it'd be hard to follow even if you didn't.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like that Immortal Hulk page is getting a lot of attention. You'd think after X-Men Gold #1 Marvel would be pretty vigilant about spotting those types of things. But that was awhile ago so they probably just stopped looking.

May 24, 2019
Are there separate inkers and colourists on the book? There should have been so many points to call attention to something that I wouldn't even call a hidden detail.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like that Immortal Hulk page is getting a lot of attention. You'd think after X-Men Gold #1 Marvel would be pretty vigilant about spotting those types of things. But that was awhile ago so they probably just stopped looking.
eh, comic publication scheduling as it currently exists ("the marvel way!") is never going to allow a perfect system. i don't blame the editors in this, even tho there's definitely some blame to lay there.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Have any of the big sites brought it up?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, it's all a matter of who you push. Jessica was a long-term slow burn. Naomi hasn't really had that heat and Flatline is mostly just a here thing. Punchline was actually a pretty smart one, making her Joker/Harley adjacent. Like, I enjoy Jinny Hex, but I wouldn't really say she's a wild breakout or anything. I'd put Naomi in that range.

Like, Yara is pretty hot in terms of reception, and it helps that they're immediately moving to start a show and series sight unseen. Naomi is the same. You make it a thing if you push the character. Hal Jordan is Green Lantern not because he's the best character in the role, but because he's the one that gets the shine long-term.

You have characters like Jon Kent and Damian Wayne, but to be honest, most of the new creations are female because the Big Two are beginning to fill out certain demographics that have been kind of left out in the majors. Like, Marvel's biggest Latino hero is like... Ghost Rider? And he's not even the one who gets to lead a solo book.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's all a matter of who you push. Jessica was a long-term slow burn. Naomi hasn't really had that heat and Flatline is mostly just a here thing. Punchline was actually a pretty smart one, making her Joker/Harley adjacent. Like, I enjoy Jinny Hex, but I wouldn't really say she's a wild breakout or anything. I'd put Naomi in that range.

Like, Yara is pretty hot in terms of reception, and it helps that they're immediately moving to start a show and series sight unseen. Naomi is the same. You make it a thing if you push the character. Hal Jordan is Green Lantern not because he's the best character in the role, but because he's the one that gets the shine long-term.

You have characters like Jon Kent and Damian Wayne, but to be honest, most of the new creations are female because the Big Two are beginning to fill out certain demographics that have been kind of left out in the majors. Like, Marvel's biggest Latino hero is like... Ghost Rider? And he's not even the one who gets to lead a solo book.

Lots of fanart of Flatline already, its not just us.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Miles?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of fanart of Flatline already, its not just us.
Flatline's Twitter, Tumblr, and Pinterest presence isn't showing to any major degree.

Type "Yara" in Twitter and it'll autocomplete to "Yara Flor" and even Yara alone has heat. Do the same with "Flatline" and the top listing is Immortal Hulk: Flatline via a tweet from Declan Shalvey. Then Apex Legends' Flatline and then a ways down a Joshua Williamson tweet about that Flatline.

Tumblr Yara Flor: https://www.tumblr.com/search/dc+yara
Tumblr Flatline: https://www.tumblr.com/search/dc+flatline

Hell, Ghost Maker's search result is longer:
www.tumblr.com

dc+ghost+maker | Tumblr

Tumblr. Pure effervescent enrichment. Old internet energy. Home of the Reblogs. All the art you never knew you needed. All the fandoms you could wish for. Enough memes to knock out a moderately-sized mammal. Add to it or simply scroll through and soak it up.

I'm not saying there's none, I'm saying the character not currently a breakout elsewhere.

I was mentally taking Miles and Kamala as a slightly earlier generation, but I guess that does sync up with like Aqualad.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Flatline's Twitter, Tumblr, and Pinterest presence isn't showing to any major degree.

Type "Yara" in Twitter and it'll autocomplete to "Yara Flor" and even Yara alone has heat. Do the same with "Flatline" and the top listing is Immortal Hulk: Flatline via a tweet from Declan Shalvey. Then Apex Legends' Flatline and then a ways down a Joshua Williamson tweet about that Flatline.

Tumblr Yara Flor: https://www.tumblr.com/search/dc+yara
Tumblr Flatline: https://www.tumblr.com/search/dc+flatline

Hell, Ghost Maker's search result is longer:
www.tumblr.com

dc+ghost+maker | Tumblr

Tumblr. Pure effervescent enrichment. Old internet energy. Home of the Reblogs. All the art you never knew you needed. All the fandoms you could wish for. Enough memes to knock out a moderately-sized mammal. Add to it or simply scroll through and soak it up.

I'm not saying there's none, I'm saying the character not currently a breakout elsewhere.

I was mentally taking Miles and Kamala as a slightly earlier generation, but I guess that does sync up with like Aqualad.

I mean Yara has had issues come out its not a fair comparison

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going down this rabbit hole of random internet popularity tells me that apparently people like Batman Who Laughs?

A lot?

What?

For much the same reason they like Batman: White Knight. Everything about the Batman Who LMAOs and the complex three act structure is old hat to someone who has read more than a few superhero comics, but casual fans who only really follow along when ComicClixWorld.com does Top Ten Reasons Joker is Better For Gothan Than Batman! will it eat it right up.

He's Batman who killed the Joker but while dying he infected Batman with his blood so now he's Batman and Joker at the same time. That's the kind of thing you immediately fall in love with before realizing that, actually, it sure is irresponsible that Batman doesn't use his vast wealth to fix infrastructure, corruption and crime in Gotham.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
his stuff top the charts and I've even seen lmao toys at target, I'd say it's mostly the comic enthusiast online discussion places that don't like him
For much the same reason they like Batman: White Knight. Everything about the Batman Who LMAOs and the complex three act structure is old hat to someone who has read more than a few superhero comics, but casual fans who only really follow along when ComicClixWorld.com does Top Ten Reasons Joker is Better For Gothan Than Batman! will it eat it right up.

He's Batman who killed the Joker but while dying he infected Batman with his blood so now he's Batman who is also the Joker. That's the kind of thing you immediately fall in love with before realizing that, actually, it sure is irresponsible that Batman doesn't use his vast wealth to fix infrastructure, corruption and crime in Gotham.

Yeah, probably. This is one of those "Venom" things, where the average reader online person loves the hell out of it. It does help to step out of thread and look around at times.

EDIT: Oh, I guess that makes Batman Who Laughs one of the major breakout characters of the past few years. Hell, he's got action figures.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
tsRNkHm7VRJj7iwsrk8vxL.jpg

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's a whole alternate comic community out there who loves the Batman who laughs. They're big Snyder fans and think King in Black is the best thing at marvel.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, probably. This is one of those "Venom" things, where the average reader online person loves the hell out of it. It does help to step out of thread and look around at times.

Yeah more or less.

Between like 1998 and 2017 nobody reading comics gave a shit about Venom. He fucking sucked and everyone knew it and the only way anyone would admit to liking him was when Rick Remender reinvented the idea with Flash Thompson.

But outside of comics? He's everywhere. He's Spider-Man but evil (but not so evil that they can't team up to fight against Carnage, who is Venom but even more evil) and he takes the basic silhouette and appearance of Spider-Man and bulks it up. It's an immediate recipe for success when selling the character to an audience who will never, ever read Venom: Lethal Protector but definitely love his cool look.

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah more or less.

Between like 1998 and 2017 nobody reading comics gave a shit about Venom. He fucking sucked and everyone knew it and the only way anyone would admit to liking him was when Rick Remender reinvented the idea with Flash Thompson.

But outside of comics? He's everywhere. He's Spider-Man but evil (but not so evil that they can't team up to fight against Carnage, who is Venom but even more evil) and he takes the basic silhouette and appearance of Spider-Man and bulks it up. It's an immediate recipe for success when selling the character to an audience who will never, ever read Venom: Lethal Protector but definitely love his cool look.
So the hierarchy goes Spidey < Carnage < Venom <
Spiderdoppelganger.png
?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Started TWO really great shows while in kidney stone pain lol. Prodigal Son and For Life. Prodigal Son started kinda slow, but got really good by episode 5 or 6, then I was hooked. Almost as good as Hannibal, but that had the benefit of not having 20+ episode seasons. Looking forward to seeing what they do with Clarice.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
So his reasoning for the Star of David is he didn't know that saying Jews controlled diamond stores was a BAD thing?

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that is generally how these things end, plausible deniability goes so far as long as you're not like cannonballing into the deep end of the fuckshit pool

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"I made a terrible mistake and I'm sorry. Also, following that, in the same page I made another related mistake."

Status
Not open for further replies.