• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you currently read Spawn? (No judgement, only stats)

• Yes

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • No

Votes: 81 94.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Marvel will edit it from future collections and not work with the guy again.
I'm sure Ewing can't be too happy, assuming he knows about it.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So this is bad right? Look at the window

EtVca1XVEAAqN5E

Because it seems real bad

Fuck that. No way that's an accident.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I dont get why an artist would basically throw his job away over this.
Was he really so stupid as to think someone wouldn't notice?

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
These guys think they're slick and that they're speaking through their art. He may think that no one will notice it, but if he ever gives his buddies a nudge they'll give him a wink.

He's already been a dick so he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt here.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
On a lighter note.

Hellions continues to be amazing.
Feel like the best Suicide Squad comic I have ever read.

And Sinister is right, Mastermind does have atrocious fashion sense.
Potato sack indeed.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
My IST order from 22 still hasn't shipped 'cus both Chip's DD weren't at their warehouse and it seems like they still aren't. At this point I don't even mind anymore, I order stuff and I get it a month later.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the fact he managed to sneak by the past couple times gave him a big head - "they can't fire me, I'm part of the team for their biggest comic." That sort of thing emboldens assholes.

I feel like actually publishing something that's blatantly heinous is over the line, though. Guy should have been booted months ago, there's no shortage of talented artists out there that would leap at the opportunity to finish off the run.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost inclined to wonder if Bennett doesn't want to work on an "SJW comic" or whatever anymore. The issue features a black teenager getting assaulted by the police so maybe he looked at that and thought he had to counter the "virtue signalling".

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My IST order from 22 still hasn't shipped 'cus both Chip's DD weren't at their warehouse and it seems like they still aren't. At this point I don't even mind anymore, I order stuff and I get it a month later.
IST is basically set it and forget it at this point. Getting deliveries is a surprise and a blessing anymore.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
IST is basically set it and forget it at this point. Getting deliveries is a surprise and a blessing anymore.
I used to get a bunch of my artbooks from IST, but most of the time they don't even get them anymore and I just order from Amazon and pray they arrive undamaged. At least Amazon's replacement policy is extremely fast and simple.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon's book shipping policy:

vlLbBoK.gif
I haven't had a problem with my last few artbook shipments, so we'll see if it keeps up because I JUST ORDERED ANOTHER ONE. It seems like the books that come shrinkwrapped are usually okay. The ones that are shipped without any type of packaging are a riskier prospect.

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
All this talk about IST got me to finally get off my ass and order the Claremont/Lee X-Men Vol 1 omnibus. Guess I'll have to revise my stance to digital/signed/HC only!

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Finally picked up my comics from my LCS after four months. The owner wasn't there either, so I didn't even have to feel awkward.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pleased that Runaways is STILL probably the best comic that Marvel's publishing, and I'm eager to see how the little Krakoa arc plays out. The high school stuff feels a little typical, but I like the dynamic of half the team being young adults that aren't equipped to be caretakers for people going to school. Tons of little, human details like Molly needing her own ride because she's the only one going to a different school (and feeling awkward about it). Continue to be impressed by Genolet's art, too, the "grey" look for Karolina is viscerally sad.

Pretty sure it's the oldest ongoing that Marvel is still publishing - even predated Cebulski's time. 10 issues to go until Rowell is most prolific Runaways writer!

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pleased that Runaways is STILL probably the best comic that Marvel's publishing, and I'm eager to see how the little Krakoa arc plays out. The high school stuff feels a little typical, but I like the dynamic of half the team being young adults that aren't equipped to be caretakers for people going to school. Tons of little, human details like Molly needing her own ride because she's the only one going to a different school (and feeling awkward about it). Continue to be impressed by Genolet's art, too, the "grey" look for Karolina is viscerally sad.

Pretty sure it's the oldest ongoing that Marvel is still publishing - even predated Cebulski's time. 10 issues to go until Rowell is most prolific Runaways writer!
I don't know anything about Runaways.
But you sound like you are really enjoying it, so I am curious.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Man, we literally already went through this exact same shit in X-Men Gold a couple years back. What's up with marvel artists and trying to sneak in antisemitism hoping they don't get caught? Fuck these guys

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget this old gem, either, in which Bennett cheered an assault on a gay journalist by a far-right politician and said they should have been punched instead of slapped.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Yeah, Joe should've gotten the boot months ago. It's not like Ewing can't find a better artist. Who cares if he's good at the horror aspects? Banish him to comicsgate hell for life.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm out of Immortal Hulk if Marvel doesn't replace Joe Bennet ASAP.

The guy is fucking nuts.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's ironic or not but I just learned that the word "cabal" (as in a shadowy cabal of global elites) is blatantly antisemitic originating from the word kabbalah and now here's immortal hulk's artist being a shitfuck on a book that loves to lean into kabbalah, though ewing seems to be going with the golden dawn qabalah vs. the strictly jewish kabbalah

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know anything about Runaways.
But you sound like you are really enjoying it, so I am curious.

The original is top tier Marvel - one of their best books of the 2000s, which considering the competition says a lot. Brian K. Vaughn during his Y: The Last Man days, back when he still dipped his toes in superhero stuff. Really nailed the balance of teen drama soap opera, "big idea" genre fiction, and your typical superhero action stuff. After he left the book it got passed around through mostly-untalented hands and the characters popped up here and there.

Rainbow Rowell - semi-prominent YA novel writer - got the gig to revive it in 2017, around the time the TV show was coming out. It stands up next to the BKV era, and if you ask me surpasses it. She plays with the mythology and grows the characters in interesting ways, often in subtle ways. It takes all of the baggage picked up in their "down years" - characters dying, getting maimed, starting new lives and relationships - and makes it work. It's heavy on the interpersonal drama but in a way that always feel natural. And the art is just top notch, expressive without being TOO cartoony.

If you like the "teenage superhero" subgenre it's really the best book running, and has been pretty much from day one.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The original is top tier Marvel - one of their best books of the 2000s, which considering the competition says a lot. Brian K. Vaughn during his Y: The Last Man days, back when he still dipped his toes in superhero stuff. Really nailed the balance of teen drama soap opera, "big idea" genre fiction, and your typical superhero action stuff. After he left the book it got passed around through mostly-untalented hands and the characters popped up here and there.

Rainbow Rowell - semi-prominent YA novel writer - got the gig to revive it in 2017, around the time the TV show was coming out. It stands up next to the BKV era, and if you ask me surpasses it. She plays with the mythology and grows the characters in interesting ways, often in subtle ways. It takes all of the baggage picked up in their "down years" - characters dying, getting maimed, starting new lives and relationships - and makes it work. It's heavy on the interpersonal drama but in a way that always feel natural. And the art is just top notch, expressive without being TOO cartoony.

If you like the "teenage superhero" subgenre it's really the best book running, and has been pretty much from day one.
Can I read the original Vaughn run then skip to the Rowell run?
Or do I need to read the in-between stuff?

Also thanks for explaining it to me.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019
look, I want an actual statement from Al Ewing saying he disowns that shit completely and absolutely, but, it's very possible Joe Bennett added the anti-semitism after the breakdowns stage at which Al Ewing would be consulted

I'm not saying he's complicit, just saying it's weird that nobody caught it. Even if it was at the stage where they got the printed comps, they could still order a halt in sales.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aight that's it, fuck it. I'm out on Immortal Hulk.

I was a coward not stepping off when Joe Bennett was a transphobic douchebag and he got away with that so he pulled his shit again. He's not just some guy who drew for a comic 40 years ago and then turned out to be a complete fuck like John Byrne, he's doing this shit for all to see and now he's sneaking it into his work, and it his work. He's not Employee #483 who has to add polygons to the yeti's ass in the snow world, he's the artist on a work of sequential art. Al Ewing is the writer and he's a rad dude, but he's in. He's set at Marvel and launched his career. Wherever he goes after Immortal Hulk he will hopefully not be stuck with another Joe Bennett.

Immortal Hulk gave me the ability to put into words the power of anger, that anger helps you survive the lowest points in your life. I owe Al Ewing that.

I also owe the people that trash ass garbage Joe Bennett openly and gleefully chooses to hurt and demean every day the absolute bare minimum level of support that they matter more than a fucking comic book that I like.

Last edited:

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Serious question for everyone that I think deserves to be asked, even if it's ultimately disagreed with. Do we feel strongly enough about Bennett's bigotry, especially now that it has been drawn into Immortal Hulk, that we want to protest Immortal Hulk and block its nomination from 2021's Game of the Year? Note a vote, yet. I'd just like to offer the idea up for discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.