• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you currently read Spawn? (No judgement, only stats)

• Yes

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • No

Votes: 81 94.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Not a big fan of the art in Beastwars. Was hoping for something closer to the art from the 2010 IDW Transformers.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I love Transformers but for whatever reason I've never liked Beast Wars.
It's somehow a step too far lol.

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
I didn't care for it at first until it started making it's connections to "G1" (I don't think we were officially calling it that yet) more apparent. By the end, I really enjoyed the show, even if I never fully got on board with the toys.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Trukk Not Munky is funny to me because Beast Wars was my intro and a few years later I was all confused why these robots were turning into cars.

I didn't care for it at first until it started making it's connections to "G1" (I don't think we were officially calling it that yet) more apparent. By the end, I really enjoyed the show, even if I never fully got on board with the toys.

Tying to G1 at the expense of its own ongoing plotlines was where Beast Wars went awry.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Trukk Not Munky is funny to me because Beast Wars was my intro and a few years later I was all confused why these robots were turning into cars.
Its even weirder because I like the regular transformers who turn into robot animals.
Eg, the Insecticons, the dinobots, Soundwave's tapes.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what?

I had only heard good things about that snagglepuss. What does it do to stonewall?
i skipped it at the recommendation of my friends but the impression i was given is that it's a great queer comic for straights and a pretty offensive and out of touch comic for LGBT+. one of those comics that doesn't necessarily miss the goal but makes you think maybe they don't get the goal, like Man-Eaters.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
May is officially the second Yara Flor month on ComicsEra. Everyone must have Yara avatars.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i skipped it at the recommendation of my friends but the impression i was given is that it's a great queer comic for straights and a pretty offensive and out of touch comic for LGBT+. one of those comics that doesn't necessarily miss the goal but makes you think maybe they don't get the goal, like Man-Eaters.

I mean yeah it's very much about Queer Struggle in the mid 20th century, it doesn't pretend for an instant that lives weren't destroyed and ended at the behest of the straight majority, but I sure wouldn't compare it to Man-Eaters. The shit that happens in that comic demonstrably happened to queer people.

I don't remember Stonewall coming up in the comic (but it's been at least a year since I read it) so it's certainly possible the comic does that thing where Stonewall is reframed as the battle of White Gays and nobody else.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Stonewall - the event - isn't part of the Snagglepuss book. Stonewall - the bar - is included, before it was really a gay bar historically, and as sort of a generically pleasant establishment full of clean-cut dudes. Frankly, they probably should have just made up a fictional gay bar, because it essentially is.

DXw_9p0W0AAEPha.jpg

I generally liked it, as it's the sort of "sad book about people suffering in a cruel and unjust world" story I like in any context, but I'm also culturally hetero and entirely white so I can't speak for it on any level beyond that.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Is Life Story entirely a retelling, or do they change up stuff and new do things? I just didn't remember Harry Osborn as the Black Goblin.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah it's very much about Queer Struggle in the mid 20th century, it doesn't pretend for an instant that lives weren't destroyed and ended at the behest of the straight majority, but I sure wouldn't compare it to Man-Eaters. The shit that happens in that comic demonstrably happened to queer people.

I don't remember Stonewall coming up in the comic (but it's been at least a year since I read it) so it's certainly possible the comic does that thing where Stonewall is reframed as the battle of White Gays and nobody else.
fair. man-eaters is an extreme comparison. it was just the first thing to pop into my mind as an example of a lauded comic that actually sucked. again, i haven't read snagglepuss. but i was told by several friends that i shouldn't give it any attention.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Joelle Jones is just a more refined Greg Land, don't @ me.
Is the hype for Yara Flor real? I haven't seen mention of the Future State stuff at all. Are folk mostly just into it for the art and sex appeal or is there a good story there?

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Yara should really cover up her midriff in those preview pages. Wouldn't want to get people excited

/s

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gwenom vs. Carnage #2 really feels like the writer wanted to actually make a romance between Gwen and MJ, but Marvel wouldn't let her.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Guess I will look at another DC ongoing this coming May.

Also the Marauders tie in for King in Black wasn't that bad, and certainly filled in a bit during the wait for the next issue.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Zack Snyder and his fans are the result of an Alan Moore spell cast on DC Comics for not giving him back the rights to Watchmen.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Inferno was a definite blind spot in my X-Men reading but after reading through Masterworks 7 and remembering how damn wordy Claremont gets, I don't think I could take an omnibus.

Heh, I read it all on CMX a few years ago and honestly it wasn't my favorite part of his run. Both the leadup issues in Prologue and the Inferno Omni itself. It's silly fun, but its also slow and plodding, especially the buildup.

That said, I am buying both Omnis.

Status
Not open for further replies.