• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you currently read Spawn? (No judgement, only stats)

• Yes

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • No

Votes: 81 94.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Came in here and legit thought that was just real.

Then I saw No Depth ask about a deluxe hardcover and realized it was fake. Everybody knows light novels and manga not called Full Metal Alchemist don't get nice releases.
are you telling me you didn't purchase the most important localization of last year: Ping-Pong by Matsumoto?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Came in here and legit thought that was just real.

Then I saw No Depth ask about a deluxe hardcover and realized it was fake. Everybody knows light novels and manga not called Full Metal Alchemist don't get nice releases.

False. We are now upon the era of deluxe manga. Come join us in the sun!

FMA
Saint Young Men
Akira
Battle Angle Alita
Jojo
Gundam
Berserk
Vagabond
Blade of the Immortal
Fist of the North Star
Hellsing
Ping Pong

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Thanks for continuing to do the monthly threads, Messi. I've started keeping track of all the comics I've read in 2021 so I could refresh my memory when voting for Comics of The Year. It's been useful to refer to.

I never heard of Stray Dogs but I saw that little trailer and it looks cool. It reminds me of Beasts of Burden. I'll give the creators a follow. Although the Stranger Things typeface is driving me nuts. I'm looking forward to more Abbott and Monstress in February. And Scales & Scoundrels' return.

Anyway, I finished reading Super Mutant Magic Academy on Libby today. I think it's Jillian Tamaki's best work. It was confusing to follow at times though given all the characters it follows. I found some of the self-contained comics were hit or miss. Other comics were funny. sad, poignant, and absurd. I think the best thing was Tamaki's use of different art styles and selective coloring.

The loosely drawn comics while simple was kind of hard to read. But as a whole, I liked the riff on Hogwarts meets Charles Xavier's School of the Gifted. And the way Tamaki made cool use of 6-panel grids. I took screenshots of a bunch of them to incorporate into my own art. Compared to Skim and This One Summer, SMMA feels more adult. Although it explores similar themes e.g. loneliness, sexuality, and friendship. I really enjoyed it a lot and would re-read it again to fully appreciate the wit and craft more critically.

I found most of the Future State stuff I read hit or miss. I love Dan Mora but I find Dark Detective a drag. My favorite books were Abbott 1973 #1, An Unkindness of Ravens #5, and Monstress #31 (that cliffhanger tho).

Has B-Dubs taught PoodleStrike nothing about the art of physical comics as the manga guy? lol.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for continuing to do the monthly threads, Messi. I've started keeping track of all the comics I've read in 2021 so I could refresh my memory when voting for Comics of The Year. It's been useful to refer to.

I never heard of Stray Dogs but I saw that little trailer and it looks cool. It reminds me of Beasts of Burden. I'll give the creators a follow. Although the Stranger Things typeface is driving me nuts. I'm looking forward to more Abbott and Monstress in February. And Scales & Scoundrels' return.

Anyway, I finished reading Super Mutant Magic Academy on Libby today. I think it's Jillian Tamaki's best work. It was confusing to follow at times though given all the characters it follows. I found some of the self-contained comics were hit or miss. Other comics were funny. sad, poignant, and absurd. I think the best thing was Tamaki's use of different art styles and selective coloring.

The loosely drawn comics while simple was kind of hard to read. But as a whole, I liked the riff on Hogwarts meets Charles Xavier's School of the Gifted. And the way Tamaki made cool use of 6-panel grids. I took screenshots of a bunch of them to incorporate into my own art. Compared to Skim and This One Summer, SMMA feels more adult. Although it explores similar themes e.g. loneliness, sexuality, and friendship. I really enjoyed it a lot and would re-read it again to fully appreciate the wit and craft more critically.

I found most of the Future State stuff I read hit or miss. I love Dan Mora but I find Dark Detective a drag. My favorite books were Abbott 1973 #1, An Unkindness of Ravens #5, and Monstress #31 (that cliffhanger tho).

Has B-Dubs taught PoodleStrike nothing about the art of physical comics as the manga guy? lol.

I loved that book! I wish Jillian did more writing.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017

That comic is very lovely. It's my favorite from Jillian as well. But I did really enjoy Boundless as well to be fair. You may enjoy that one if you haven't read it.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
EtGrvZMVcAEeeXf
8929534.jpg

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, I must have missed that Far From Home Spider Man post credits scene with Fury on the SWORD station the first time around.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I go watch some anime and I come back to this shit? Can y'all not be left alone for an hour...

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
All that talk about The Gifted has me wanting to check it out and see how good this Polaris person is

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I loved that book! I wish Jillian did more writing.
I know she also writes and draws children's books. The most recent one is called They Say Blue which came out last year. It looks great! And maybe a single adult can appreciate children's books so I'll check it out.

But AFAIK, a good bulk of her comics is published in Drawn & Quarterly collections. I agree though, she's great. It's super fascinating to see how different she is when she doesn't team up with her cousin. It's a different beast.
That comic is very lovely. It's my favorite from Jillian as well. But I did really enjoy Boundless as well to be fair. You may enjoy that one if you haven't read it.
I see it's on Libby so I will check it out next, thanks!

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading Ronin and, you know guys, I think this Frank Miller guy may have issues with racism and sexism.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Hello. I wish to report anyone in the Comics OT who reads and/or discusses manga. Thank you.

edit: whoops that was meant to be a PM to poodlestrike

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
So the Fantastic Four ends the Griever arc in rather anticlimactic fashion. Though in this case it does make sense that they would go through with what it did. The book also teases some stories from a falling out between Reed and Ben to the fact that we may not see the last of Omega Mutant Franklin after all. We'll see about that. For now, it's off to the King in Black offshoot for you.

Future State Aquaman remains coy on what's going on, but it leaves enough interesting parts to make an intriguing read while keeping it distinct enough to stand out on its own.

Okay, now the last issue of Strange Adventures makes sense. So the invasion is real after all and the heroes are being overwhelmed.That and the duo of Mr. Terrific and Batman make a great pairing. Terrific did his bet in letting Bruce easy on struggling to learn a new language.

List:
The Other History of the DC Universe #2
Future State: Wonder Woman #2
Future State: Harley Quinn #2
Far Sector #10
Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey #4

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Caught up with Jujutsu Kaisen just now. The latest chapter has me far more interested in where the manga is going than before, but I'll keep my hype in check until I see where this is going. My interest in Gege's apparent love for horror is what kept me reading, and now they seem to be potentially leaning heavily into that in a way that could make the series unique for its genre.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up with Jujutsu Kaisen just now. The latest chapter has me far more interested in where the manga is going than before, but I'll keep my hype in check until I see where this is going. My interest in Gege's apparent love for horror is what kept me reading, and now they seem to be potentially leaning heavily into that in a way that could make the series unique for its genre.
I've been meaning to catch up. I think I fell off around ch. 40. The villain designs were way more intriguing than the hero designs, I thought.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
If you want something really absurd and full of batshit nonsense, try Undead Unluck.

Status
Not open for further replies.