• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
All these complaints over X of Swords makes me laugh. Y'all know no ones making you buy it right?

also Remender is awesome and Deadly Class is only second to Saga.

Us not being forced to buy it makes it less stupid?

We were all excited for what's next and this is a dud for me.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE: Turns out X of Swords is a tarot card, Hickman redeemed, he's just too smart for me.

10su.jpg
Tini Howard actually came up with the name.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
just to make sure folk know, hickman isn't apparently writing X of Swords. Tini Howard is. Hickman probably writing his part of it, but the meat is from Tini.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
mocking the x-men is what gives me solace for fans allowing trash like fallen angels to outsell actual good books just because it was a dawn of x title

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tini Howard actually came up with the name.

Uhh, sorry pal, says "Jonathan Hickman presents" right at the bottom?

That's actually very clever of her, with the tarot theme that popped up in HoXPoX. I assume in general he's going to get credit for all of the good stuff and everyone else will get ignored and/or blamed for the bad stuff.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh, sorry pal, says "Jonathan Hickman presents" right at the bottom?

That's actually very clever of her, with the tarot theme that popped up in HoXPoX. I assume in general he's going to get credit for all of the good stuff and everyone else will get ignored and/or blamed for the bad stuff.

it's Hickman, so everything bad now is clearly just a set up for something good later

I kid
the truth shall set you free

I feel bad for giving that book like 5 issues before I dropped it

sorry Marvel!

boo

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean there's going to be a big raining swords of death attack in that crossover?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
just to make sure folk know, hickman isn't apparently writing X of Swords. Tini Howard is. Hickman probably writing his part of it, but the meat is from Tini.
That makes sense considering what happened with Brian, and that sword in Excalibur, and having him on that key art.

Hope Nightcrawler joins the book after!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
People freaking out about the swords in that OT thread. I'm betting that's just for the key art, and the actual book will just be about 1 main sword, the one Brian has Betsy keep for him.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
People freaking out about the swords in that OT thread. I'm betting that's just for the key art, and the actual book will just be about 1 main sword, the one Brian has Betsy keep for him.
The book is supposed to be about 10 Swords and the sword you mentioned will probably be the main one. the majority of the swords in the promo art probably won't appear or be important.

Woland

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a mistake somewhere, the book is 320 pages for six issues and he tweeted this yesterday :

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The book is supposed to be about 10 Swords and the sword you mentioned will probably be the main one. the majority of the swords in the promo art probably won't appear or be important.
"forge, so we've got these 10 important swords we have to all wear, but it's making all of the other x-men a bit sword-envious, you know? could you make swords for everyone?

cyclops "FORGE I WANT A LIGHTSABER"
wolverine "I WANT A KATANA"

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm excited for it. I'm buying all the books anyway.

it'll never top AXIS though damnit!

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how Tom Taylor can simultaneously be such a good and bad writer. It's legitimately stunning.

He has the uncanny ability to make any protagonist extremely compelling while simultaneously being incapable of giving antagonists even a second's worth of thought beyond comical evil. Even when protags and antags switch their quality of writing does too. It's baffling.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
"forge, so we've got these 10 important swords we have to all wear, but it's making all of the other x-men a bit sword-envious, you know? could you make swords for everyone?

cyclops "FORGE I WANT A LIGHTSABER"
wolverine "I WANT A KATANA"
I think Wolverine's katana is the Muramasa blade
I don't understand how Tom Taylor can simultaneously be such a good and bad writer. It's legitimately stunning.

He has the uncanny ability to make any protagonist extremely compelling while simultaneously being incapable of giving antagonists even a second's worth of thought beyond comical evil. Even when protags and antags switch their quality of writing does too. It's baffling.
He's never been great with villains. He's like the MCU of writers.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just realized the shop forgot American Jesus from my pull this week, but I wasn't feeling it anyway. I guess I'll just replace it with something else this Wednesday. Maybe I'll try out the new Star Wars mainliner.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Wolverine's katana is the Muramasa blade

He's never been great with villains. He's like the MCU of writers.

Yeah and that's true of a lot of writers. What makes him stand out to me is that he can take the same character and have them be a great hero and the moment they switch sides their writing quality suddenly drops off a cliff. The best examples I can think of are when Logan becomes antagonistic to Gabby in ANW and Wonder Woman's characterization leaping off a cliff in Injustice but it happens a LOT with him.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dont like this tom taylor hate
I don't hate him. His books usually wind up among my top 5 for any given year they come out, in fact.

But you don't get to write Taskmaster THIS poorly and not catch flak from me.

EK3ykzqWoAAWxmm.jpg

Even ignoring the fact he was acting out of character to even take this job- he has rules against going after kids, mutants, and Wolverine, and this violates all three- his dialogue is just nonsensical. He's clearly not even trying to fight back, dropping his gun and sword and just countering without following up, and yet he talks like he's going to kill her. It's just weird and nowhere near his usual personality. He can be apathetic or he can be cocky - but having him try to be both doesn't work.

And I want to emphasize I had no problems with him losing here. He's a villain, he loses a lot, that's part of the deal. But he either should have been fighting all out or trying to talk her down without sounding like a backhanded asshole. Doing neither just doesn't fit.

And yes, I know all roads lead back to Taskmaster with me, But I'm using him as an example here only because hes the character I know most intimately and most easily recognize poor writing for. In the same book he does the same thing for Logan, Fin Fang Foom, and even Kimura, though Kimura was always kind of a one dimensional piece of tripe anyways so no big loss on that one.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think what needs to be pointed out is that Eyeboy has an Eyesword
Nightcrawler also has that sword that Cardinal was using in the alt-future. Douglok has a Warlock sword that's plugged into his arm. Cable's sword looks pretty inspired by Cloud's bustersword.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I like how Xavier is written like a prick even in non x-books (invaders)

I don't hate him. His books usually wind up among my top 5 for any given year they come out, in fact.

But you don't get to write Taskmaster THIS poorly and not catch flak from me.

EK3ykzqWoAAWxmm.jpg

Even ignoring the fact he was acting out of character to even take this job- he has rules against going after kids, mutants, and Wolverine, and this violates all three- his dialogue is just nonsensical. He's clearly not even trying to fight back, dropping his gun and sword and just countering without following up, and yet he talks like he's going to kill her. It's just weird and nowhere near his usual personality. He can be apathetic or he can be cocky - but having him try to be both doesn't work.

And I want to emphasize I had no problems with him losing here. He's a villain, he loses a lot, that's part of the deal. But he either should have been fighting all out or trying to talk her down without sounding like a backhanded asshole. Doing neither just doesn't fit.

And yes, I know all roads lead back to Taskmaster with me, But I'm using him as an example here only because hes the character I know most intimately and most easily recognize poor writing for. In the same book he does the same thing for Logan, Fin Fang Foom, and even Kimura, though Kimura was always kind of a one dimensional piece of tripe anyways so no big loss on that one.
Fair enough, I like most of Toms books, even this.

He does write villains poorly though.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a mistake somewhere, the book is 320 pages for six issues and he tweeted this yesterday :

That's good news - I figure he'll be getting at least, like, 12 issues if he's that bullish publicly. Always possible it's a reboot/relaunch type thing with 5G coming.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah and that's true of a lot of writers. What makes him stand out to me is that he can take the same character and have them be a great hero and the moment they switch sides their writing quality suddenly drops off a cliff. The best examples I can think of are when Logan becomes antagonistic to Gabby in ANW and Wonder Woman's characterization leaping off a cliff in Injustice but it happens a LOT with him.
I talked about this before when I read the Burnside Batgirl run, but one of the big problems with solo books these days is when they try to spin these characters off is that the new characters created, if any, are not memorable and regardless of whether they are or aren't they are never reused. People just constantly either make their own characters, or reuse popular ones. Nothing sticks, nothing's memorable. Ms. Marvel has nothing really. Ahmed is doing a solid job at trying to build on what Willow had, but Willow didn't do a great job with her antagonists.

Everyone wants to create the perfect, charming fun supporting cast, but no one thinks about the villains and they're so forgettable. Tynion does a good job but that shit won't get reused.

We've had this conversation in this community, but legit it's almost impossible to think of any memorable villains within the past decade. With any staying power. Court of Owls? Batman Who Laughs?

Seriously go through 2010-2019.

I mean I'll stan for the First Victim all day.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I talked about this before when I read the Burnside Batgirl run, but one of the big problems with solo books these days is when they try to spin these characters off is that the new characters created, if any, are not memorable and regardless of whether they are or aren't they are never reused. People just constantly either make their own characters, or reuse popular ones. Nothing sticks, nothing's memorable. Ms. Marvel has nothing really. Ahmed is doing a solid job at trying to build on what Willow had, but Willow didn't do a great job with her antagonists.

Everyone wants to create the perfect, charming fun supporting cast, but no one thinks about the villains and they're so forgettable. Tynion does a good job but that shit won't get reused.

We've had this conversation in this community, but legit it's almost impossible to think of any memorable villains within the past decade. With any staying power. Court of Owls? Batman Who Laughs?

This is extremely true, at least among Marvel. I don't read a ton of DC but I can't think of a single memorable new villain from Ms Marvel, Miles Morales, Gwenpool, Laura, JaneThor, or Robbie Reyes.

I guess you could ALMOST count Prowler but man is that stretching the definition of both new and villain.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

At the end of the day, Batman Who LMAOs is just another derivative version of Batman. Court of Owls was a great story, but I don't think they're interesting enough to have any real longevity.

The Victim Syndicate was a crop of awesome designs that hasn't gotten enough time on the page. And I feel that way about Mr. Bloom as well. These characters are never going to become the next Joker or Penguin if they're used for a couple arcs before being discarded. And I think the golden age comics were more conservative about creating new characters. Now, everyone writing a comics wants to make new characters. It's almost meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.