• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The last couple pages of Harleen might be one of the GOAT comic book endings. I found the "I'm dreaming" sequences to be pretty cliche and boring throughout the book, but the payoff at the end, where he flips it around, with the funhouse mirrors and the full moon and the melancholy narrative boxes... like, damn.

I read it via Hoopla and the hardcover is kind of on my radar now. Feels like something I'd want to revisit.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm catching up on comics from the last few weeks so apologies for retreading old info but, did Snyder's JLA run seriously just end with a cliffhanger to a story not coming out for a few months? Am I understanding this correctly?

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Dial H ended strong. Can't fucking believe Humphries is the same guy who wrote those terrible GotG comics over at Marvel. He's done a total 180 since coming to DC and I really want to read more from him. Quinones was a powerhouse on art with this series, he can mimic anyone's art style.

May 24, 2019
So I'm catching up on comics from the last few weeks so apologies for retreading old info but, did Snyder's JLA run seriously just end with a cliffhanger to a story not coming out for a few months? Am I understanding this correctly?

Yup. And the current JL issues take place some vague amount of time in the past.

edit: And our other comics of the moment aren't taking place on JL#39's Doom Earth without the JLs or anything.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Daredevil just had a crazy one year time skip that came straight outta nowhere.

Netflix straight up stole their Luke Cage S2 and Iron Fist S2 ideas from this run lol, rather than using plot lines from their actual books.

Yea hit the time skip myself last night in the Omni. Gonna read the issues right before (51-55) off CMX as I am curious even if fill-in gap by a diff team.

I did the same earlier in the Omni as issues 20-25 gap were not Bendis, but he does reference the story in the issues after. Pretty fun story too as it is the trial where Murdock had to somehow prosecute DD and still keep his identity secret.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea hit the time skip myself last night in the Omni. Gonna read the issues right before (51-55) off CMX as I am curious even if fill-in gap by a diff team.

I did the same earlier in the Omni as issues 20-25 gap were not Bendis, but he does reference the story in the issues after. Pretty fun story too as it is the trial where Murdock had to somehow prosecute DD and still keep his identity secret.
Oh woah, I didnt even notice there was a gap in issues lol. Did you notice the art changing in that fight with the Kingpin? Those were all the old famous DD artists, like John Romita and Klaus Janson apparently. Wish they were given a better chance to show off their talents lol.

It was a neat trick that I havent seen done before.

IDK. Sandman is pretty affordable...
I dont read books written by round earthers

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Hope everyone has been well and thriving. What are some good comics released so far this year or coming out soon that warrant my hype?
Aside from what's been mentioned,

Guardians of the Galaxy by Ewing
Immortal Hulk
Marauders
Scott Snyder's Justice League was pretty great, though the ending could've been better
Batman by Tynion
Batman/Superman by Joshua Williamson
Thor by Cates

Yeah.
Is Marauders the other good X-Men book? That's the one I see got brought up more than any of the others.
I fucking LOVE Marauders, if that means anything

Next to Jeanette and Porcelain, Strix is easily my favorite Gail Simone original.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Oh woah, I didnt even notice there was a gap in issues lol. Did you notice the art changing in that fight with the Kingpin? Those were all the old famous DD artists, like John Romita and Klaus Janson apparently. Wish they were given a better chance to show off their talents lol.

It was a neat trick that I havent seen done before.

I dont read books written by round earthers

Yea I was kind of disappointed by it. I mean it is such a cool idea, but instead of shaping the fight around each artist's strength, they just all kind of drew DD punching Fisk. Kind of wished it was more dynamic, but really cool idea to get all the old artists in for a mini celebration.

And there is a trade on CMX under Marvel Knights Daredevil. It collects all the gap issues during Bendis' run and some other minis that were written by Bendis but not collected(Daredevil Ninja and another I forget). $20 tho. I only read the 20-25 story so far. Takes place right before that Silke guy is introduced early in the Omni.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I wanted that at all lol. The name of the team is Justice League. The 30-somethings can be JLA.
Okay, but first we need Connor Hawke to even be back in continuity. Then we need to even come up with a reason for Roy and Connor to be on the same team. Two arrow guys. Yay.
FASHION
don't question jumbo carnation
9eb5f381779067db726886bc5510840d967e57a8.png

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
there's an issue of Bendis (or at least in that era) where I believe he's talking to Echo on a playground and it has literally the worst art I have ever seen in a big 2 comic. I mean I'm pretty sure there was some major screw-up and they needed the issue ready in like 2 days.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I was kind of disappointed by it. I mean it is such a cool idea, but instead of shaping the fight around each artist's strength, they just all kind of drew DD punching Fisk. Kind of wished it was more dynamic, but really cool idea to get all the old artists in for a mini celebration.

And there is a trade on CMX under Marvel Knights Daredevil. It collects all the gap issues during Bendis' run and some other minis that were written by Bendis but not collected(Daredevil Ninja and another I forget). $20 tho. I only read the 20-25 story so far. Takes place right before that Silke guy is introduced early in the Omni.
Just checked out the issues on CMX. I am interested in the Matt Vs. DD trial issues. Im not a big David Mack fan, but I am interested in finding out who Echo is, so I might check that one out.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. And the current JL issues take place some vague amount of time in the past.

edit: And our other comics of the moment aren't taking place on JL#39's Doom Earth without the JLs or anything.

Man, what the hell! I don't get how this was fucked up so badly. Yeah, it'll read just fine later when it's all out but I don't think that's a good excuse for doing stuff like this. It started to drag a little but I really enjoyed the run overall and this is a bummer.

If they do a Snyder JLA omnibus I hope to hell Death Metal gets put in.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
We still havent even gotten the first Metal collected in Omni format. When Marvel can rush out an Absolute Carnage omni months after the event finished, DC is seriously slacking.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I want to read something new and exciting but there's a ton of those massive, 16+ issue collections in my backlog at the moment and I don't want to buy anything until I've gone through them all even though I don't have the energy to do it and it's been like a year of this.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Johns is still planning on doing that Killzone imprint that he had on his website. Last time I looked at it, it said coming 2019. Just looked at it a minute ago and it says 2020. I figured it was just abandoned and forgotten about.

49594244751_c49a6bfbb3_c.jpg

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Johns is still planning on doing that Killzone imprint that he had on his website. Last time I looked at it, it said coming 2019. Just looked at it a minute ago and it says 2020. I figured it was just abandoned and forgotten about.

49594244751_c49a6bfbb3_c.jpg
The last time we heard about the imprint it was supposed to launch May 2019 IIRC,

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Just checked out the issues on CMX. I am interested in the Matt Vs. DD trial issues. Im not a big David Mack fan, but I am interested in finding out who Echo is, so I might check that one out.

Yea Echo was introduced right between Smith and Bendis in a David Mack written story.

Pretty forgettable, though the idea is sound. He's blind, she's deaf. She also had trained for years and is secretly hunting DD for reasons you discover over the issues. Variation of Elektra but not as good. Not sure what they do for her return in the issues before the year gap.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019
Yo. Nobody mentioned this book:
www.previewsworld.com

BILLIONAIRE ISLAND #1 (OF 4) CVR A PUGH (MR) (JAN201443)

A savage satire reuniting the critically acclaimed team behind DC's The Flintstones, Mark Russell (Second Coming) and Steve Pugh (Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass), in an all-new creator-owned series! Welcome to Billionaire Island, where anything goes...if you can afford it. But the island's...
Billionaire Island from the Flintstones team, out this week!

Man, what the hell! I don't get how this was fucked up so badly. Yeah, it'll read just fine later when it's all out but I don't think that's a good excuse for doing stuff like this. It started to drag a little but I really enjoyed the run overall and this is a bummer.

If they do a Snyder JLA omnibus I hope to hell Death Metal gets put in.

There is the Hell Arisen miniseries if you want to read something related in the meantime.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I think I want to read something new and exciting but there's a ton of those massive, 16+ issue collections in my backlog at the moment and I don't want to buy anything until I've gone through them all even though I don't have the energy to do it and it's been like a year of this.

This is why we all need to embrace motion comics!

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
bartel was talking a bit oon twitter just recently about how she gets to pick and choose w/e work she wants. i bet she could do a storm book if she wanted. just takes a phone call. but why do a monthly when you can do covers and art and shit and probably make quite a bit more?

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
bartel was talking a bit oon twitter just recently about how she gets to pick and choose w/e work she wants. i bet she could do a storm book if she wanted. just takes a phone call. but why do a monthly when you can do covers and art and shit and probably make quite a bit more?

Yeah she just does interiors here and there. Plus her own image book. She clearly likes doing covers and art pieces more than interiors.

Status
Not open for further replies.