• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
there was this cool story in batman black and white that featured the original green lantern and he was able to alter reality, rollback time, and all sorts of crazy stuff. also said gotham was his home even before batman arrived. i know nothing about the original green lantern. what's the deal with him?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Far Sector #4 continues to be fantastic, with RIDICULOUSLY good art.

Legion of Super-Heroes #4. Oh boy. This takes a LOT of liberties with LOSH origins. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

Have you read the rest of them? Judas Contract is the one I didn't read.
Did it feel less earned than Lois turn into a supervillain?
edit: Or Blue Beetle. They're all kind of like that. One thing happens differently and everyone turns into a world killer.
It's easily the worst one of them. If you read it you would understand that there's a pretty dramatic difference between the change on this issue and the change on the others.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Blackest Night is the best of the LMAOverse stories imo. It's the only one that isn't just about someone going full bad guy and killing people, and has a good twist. Definitely the most creative and fun one. I liked Knightfall until the stupid ending. Death of Superman and Infinite Crisis are okay and Judas Contract sucks.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered my Gail Simone WW omni. I own and read this digitally so I have no reason to get this, really, but I want this because I want to be able to put what is honest to god one of the best superhero comics I've ever read (and I will say that every single time) on my shelf in glorious omni format.

Also I have not gotten an omni in years. Don't recall the last one I got.

Dude so did I. I remember when Donkey Kong 64 came out and it was the hugest deal and they had an extra-sized Nintendo issue.

Forever Evil is fucking great. A team up event where the Legion of Doom saves the world? Count me in. Written by Johns and drawn by Finch? Count me double in.

Oh....oh no.

This is one of my problems with his Avengers; he keeps building and building and building, but it still isn't paying off. We haven't seen the Russians in how long? Dracula's still chilling in the Chernobyl zone. Like so much of this was constructed around that concept of superhero teams and now it's the BC stuff. Granted it is fine to put the superhero teams — the thing this book built its entire concept around as essentially the lynchpin to what was going on in Marvel right now — on the back burner, but fucking Atlantis for god's sake which happened in like issue 5 or 6 will now never actually pay off because that's a side book with Agents of Atlas. We know because of War of the Realms something is supposed to happen with Khonshu yet. My bet is that Jen is going to become the new Starbrand. It'll parallel the whole BC Starbrand also being Savage Hulk. Plus she very clearly showed a connection with the child and her new form and powers were due to interactions with the Celestials and therefore cosmic in nature, but as Strange said they're still something "different."

Ah yes. Mosaic. That wonderful new character Marvel introduced.

I mean yeah I agree in that scenario. Especially when you get down to Scarlet Witch. But also the top looks glorious

And now THAT is officially the best Jean Grey costume I have ever seen.
Aaron: I've stuck pretty close in terms of the stories I wanted to tell, the characters I wanted to bring into play, in terms of the villains. I'm still having a lot of fun exploring all that.

The next couple issues are a part of that. #31 is a big part of that. It deals with Tony Stark stuck in the past, running up against the influence of Mephisto. We've seen Mephisto at work in different aspects of the Avengers timeline over the course of the series. We've seen him interact with and play a role in some of the origins of those prehistoric Avengers, and now we'll see him butt heads with Tony Stark. We've seen Mephisto work in the present day.

Then #32 brings all that together as we focus on some of those bad guys who have been a part of the book. We touch base with Namor in Atlantis, the Red Widow and the Winter Guard in Russia, the new kingdom of the Vampires we established in Chernobyl.

Jason Aaron reads this post.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Far Sector is just as good as ever. Im thinking the Green Lantern is really the chancellor guy's daughter, or relative, and either not really from earth, or was sent there and came back and had her mind wiped or something.

Who are people thinking the white haired dude is in Leviathan? It seems like Mark Shaw, or whatever his name is, from the future. Or its the other manhunter's baby grown up.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
FF/X-Men #2 Negative Review

Putting this in spoilers because a lot of people liked issue #1 and I don't want to spoil anyone's fun. Mostly I've got the same issues as the first issue. I don't think the FF is in character at all. They're reckless bullies. Worse, they're dangerous. And worst, they're being bad fucking parents. Not only do they, both Reed with his tracker and Sue with his reactionary aggressiveness, not listen or care what their children want. But not knowing where their kids are, they fucking invade KRAKOA. A nation state of staggeringly powerful heroes AND villains! Knowing full well that this is a place their son cares about and likely will need at some point in their future. How easy would it have been to talk it out with Cyclops, figure out a way to coordinate together to figure out where the kids might be, and work together? It's comic book conflict because the story can't carry the series only. Zdarsky is consistently better than this and I don't know how it turned into such a shallow book when everything else with the X-Men is gold. If Bryan Hill can manage a deeper story, Zdarsky has no excuse. Did Slott fucking plot this?

Last edited:

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
So yeah Messi Sunstone Vol 1 was good. Enjoyed it a lot, the characters have me intrigued, the BDSM is tasteful and oddly informative, and I just enjoyed the humor and tone. Won't say I'm in 100% but I certainly want to continue it.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah Messi Sunstone Vol 1 was good. Enjoyed it a lot, the characters have me intrigued, the BDSM is tasteful and oddly informative, and I just enjoyed the humor and tone. Won't say I'm in 100% but I certainly want to continue it.

Vol 2 is much better imo. Its one of my favourite volumes.

Sunstone is never crude about the bdsm. Its informative and wants to be respectful. The characters are sex nerds at the end of the day.

Ally and Lisa remain interesting throughout. That is the true appeal of the book. Their relationship outside of the bdsm is just as interesting as the sex games if not more so. Their friends are varying levels of interesting. But the heart remains with Ally and Lisa. I truly felt for them Ally especially in vol 2.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Vol 2 is much better imo. Its one of my favourite volumes.

Sunstone is never crude about the bdsm. Its informative and wants to be respectful. The characters are sex nerds at the end of the day.

Ally and Lisa remain interesting throughout. They'd friends varying levels of that. But the heart remains with Ally and Lisa. I truly felt for them Ally especially in vol 2.

Cool. Looking forward to continuing soon

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered my Gail Simone WW omni. I own and read this digitally so I have no reason to get this, really, but I want this because I want to be able to put what is honest to god one of the best superhero comics I've ever read (and I will say that every single time) on my shelf in glorious omni format.

Also I have not gotten an omni in years. Don't recall the last one I got.

I've been buying omnis left and right. Might have to throw that WW omni along with my order next week when Uncanny X-Force is reprinted.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Hi Comics-ERA.

I would like to purchase some collections of some of the great works in graphic novels over the past 20 years. Y The Last Man, SAGA, etc.

I want to start with The Walking Dead since it has recently finished.

What is the best edition of TWD that I should buy if I want to own the whole thing?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Hi Comics-ERA.

I would like to purchase some collections of some of the great works in graphic novels over the past 20 years. Y The Last Man, SAGA, etc.

What is the best edition of TWD that I should buy if I want to own the whole thing?
The Walking Dead: Compendiums are the best bang for your buck, it's over 1000 pages and you can easily find some good deals new or used.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Hi Comics-ERA.

Sagas compendium vol 1 collects every issue released so far. It's a hefty beautiful book.

Get the Walking Dead compendiums

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Hi Comics-ERA.

I'll second the compendiums if you just wanna read it and be done with them. But if you're looking for something collectible that will look nice on the shelf, I would suggest the hardcover volumes. There are 16 in total, and each one includes the content of two of the regular paperback volumes.

Also, Y: The Last Man just came out recently in omnibus format, so you can get the whole series in one book. MSRP is $150 but Instocktrades has it for $87.

Y the Last Man Omnibus HC (MR) - InStockTrades

Trade paperbacks from Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse and more! Discounted up to 42% off. No shipping on orders over $50.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
This is a pretty fun review of the Superman: Red Son film from a non-comics perspective

twitter.com

Sam Liu on Twitter

“A very interesting take from a non comic book perspective. https://t.co/RKgB6PQwnc”

www.whirledpeas.co.uk

Review: Superman: Red Son starring Jason Isaacs and Vanessa Marshall - Whirled Peas

I must admit that I’m not a “comic book” sort of person. I never collected them. I watched some superhero cartoons on Saturday mornings when I was a boy. I don’t recall specific plots, but I do remember that the Green Lantern’s powers were useless against items coloured yellow. Also, there was a...

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Image compendiums are too cheap, something isn't right here. Possible Russian bots involvement?

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
ha! there's a harley story in batman black and white. its name? punchline.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I keep forgetting they made a Red Son animated feature. Really need to watch it. I loved the book. Some of my favorite stuff from Millar.

Edit: for some reason I thought this came out last month. I guess that's when I started getting the promo emails

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Miles Hot Toy. Do Gwen next pls

image0.jpg

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Diamond has a preview of Mercy #1 up if anyone besides Messi is interested.
www.previewsworld.com

MIRKA ANDOLFO MERCY #1 CVR A ANDOLFO (MR) (JAN200129)

SERIES PREMIERE! When the placid mining village of Woodsburgh is disturbed by a series of brutal murders, the settlement is in turmoil. And as the first snow covers the chaos in a white blanket, a mysterious woman in black arrives, eliciting a totally different kind of unrest. But who is Lady...

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
So lately I've been thinking about how DC should do a book that collects Nightwing, Wally West, Kyle Rayner, Connor Hawke, Donna Troy, Garth, Roy, Starfire, and Cyborg and uses them all on a single team. And I thought how they could call it Titans, since at one point or another they were all Titans (Kyle included) and we could see them build on these characters that exist in that sort of second generation of heroes between the League and Young Justice.

...But that's when I realized. You don't call a team that has Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, and Aquaman the Titans. You call it the Justice League.

What I'm saying is: how come we can't have two JLA teams? One with the usual roster, and one with all the 90's heroes?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
So lately I've been thinking about how DC should do a book that collects Nightwing, Wally West, Kyle Rayner, Connor Hawke, Donna Troy, Garth, Roy, Starfire, and Cyborg and uses them all on a single team. And I thought how they could call it Titans, since at one point or another they were all Titans (Kyle included) and we could see them build on these characters that exist in that sort of second generation of heroes between the League and Young Justice.

...But that's when I realized. You don't call a team that has Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, and Aquaman the Titans. You call it the Justice League.

What I'm saying is: how come we can't have two JLA teams? One with the usual roster, and one with all the 90's heroes?

That sounds amazing. I would love to see that.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds amazing. I would love to see that.

I'm constantly trying to find ways to use as many of DC's cool characters as possible.

For instance, I'd totally do a Justice League International that featured the usual cast plus Kenan Kong and the Batman and Wonder Woman of China.

Ideally I could get between four and seven solid team books for everyone:

JLA (featuring the characters everyone expects)
Justice League (90's heroes)
Teen Titans (Damian, Crush, Red Arrow, Wallace West, Bunker, Aqualad)
Young Justice (the roster Bendis has plus Stephanie)
Justice League International (Booster, Ted Kord AND Jaime Reyes, Fire, Ice, Guy, Kenan Kong, Batman and WW of China)
Legion of Super-Heroes

The seventh book could be a rotating mini-series involving different teams from different areas.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
www.previewsworld.com

SERIES PREMIERE! When the placid mining village of Woodsburgh is disturbed by a series of brutal murders, the settlement is in turmoil. And as the first snow covers the chaos in a white blanket, a mysterious woman in black arrives, eliciting a totally different kind of unrest. But who is Lady...

I already own vol 1 from Italy. I've seen the art. Now I want to read the story.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
www.previewsworld.com

Cool. The cover caught my eye a couple days ago when I was browsing pre-orders.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I just ordered it due to this comment!
you're changing lives!
Like, I'm not a WW fan, as far as solo stuff goes, but Gail's WW is my shit.
[/QUOTE]
there was this cool story in batman black and white that featured the original green lantern and he was able to alter reality, rollback time, and all sorts of crazy stuff. also said gotham was his home even before batman arrived. i know nothing about the original green lantern. what's the deal with him?
-Gotham is his OG city
-His weakness is wood
-Solomon Grundy is originally his rogue
-His ring is just regular magic, unlike the GL corps' space magic

Then he got retconned the FUCK out of.

-Now he has the Starheart and is an immortal being made of Starheart energy and is one of the most powerful people on Earth pre-Flashpoint.
Wow, finally read Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Judas Contract, and that was...not good. At all. The premise started from so flaky a catalyst that the whole thing felt totally unearned. None of what she did made any sense. Like, she just decides she's going to start killing all heroes because Dick Grayson told her that our mentors shouldn't control our destiny?

Insane.
Blackest Night is the best of the LMAOverse stories imo. It's the only one that isn't just about someone going full bad guy and killing people, and has a good twist. Definitely the most creative and fun one. I liked Knightfall until the stupid ending. Death of Superman and Infinite Crisis are okay and Judas Contract sucks.
I'd say Knightfall is probably the best, but otherwise I'd agree. The thing with these books is theme is an "absolute power corrupts absolutely" kind of thing. Terra, by that logic, made sense a lot, but her jumping off point was so slight, not to mention the art -- which was very clearly intended to imitate Perez but not doing a good job -- and as a result didn't pan out well. Death of Superman falls in, but it's vague in a way as to how Lois exactly is kinda fucking everything up. She's basically becoming the Punisher, more and more aggressive, but then Clark comes back and gets killed and...that's it? It's whatever. Infinite Crisis is very predictable though, is my issue. I found it to be really good, and gripping, but also really predictable. It's born out of Ted having an inferiority complex, which...does he, is the question? It was just kind of weird. Blackest Night and Knightfall are fantastic because the power corruption is the entire thorough line for the story. With Blackest Night, it's legitimately where it kicks off as the "where it all went wrong": Sinestro gets the power and refuses to share it. Then at the end, you finally have Sinestro given a chance to redeem himself selfishly because Scott fucks up and he uses his power to make things right and fucks it all up again. Then Knightfall is all because Azrael couldn't give up the title. He couldn't give it back, and then he takes Gotham over absolutely, rules it, but just fucks it up. And he has to rub it in Bruce's face, but Bruce sees what he could have potentially been doing this whole time and given everything he's been through takes the opportunity and says fuck you and just takes the whole damn thing over himself once someone gives him the power.

Quite frankly I love it, but just the execution isn't the best on a couple of them.
Aaron: I've stuck pretty close in terms of the stories I wanted to tell, the characters I wanted to bring into play, in terms of the villains. I'm still having a lot of fun exploring all that.

The next couple issues are a part of that. #31 is a big part of that. It deals with Tony Stark stuck in the past, running up against the influence of Mephisto. We've seen Mephisto at work in different aspects of the Avengers timeline over the course of the series. We've seen him interact with and play a role in some of the origins of those prehistoric Avengers, and now we'll see him butt heads with Tony Stark. We've seen Mephisto work in the present day.

Then #32 brings all that together as we focus on some of those bad guys who have been a part of the book. We touch base with Namor in Atlantis, the Red Widow and the Winter Guard in Russia, the new kingdom of the Vampires we established in Chernobyl.

Jason Aaron reads this post.
I mean, will two issues of "touching base" really fix the issue? Like whether or not he's been sticking close to his story has never been the problem. The problem is that it's so fucking drawn out and poorly paced and shitty, problematic character portrayals.

Like, goddamn it the concept and core thesis is so fucking strong Aaron just give me what I want and you have a fucking 10 of a book.

Last edited:

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

Call it "Team Justice"

Yeah

Just generic enough, but it has "Justice" in the name. Surely that will catch on.

Status
Not open for further replies.