• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Would love to hear from folk who have read any of these releases from today:

Star Wars #3, Basketful of Heads #5, Hellblazer 34, Suicide Squad #3, Far Sector #4, The Last God #5, Foldlords #4! Tell me your thoughts and feelings!

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I gotta say sorry to the SW fans but I loved how she's used as the big bad boogeyman in X-men. She's absolutely perfect for the role, being surrounded and somewhat shielded by her associations with humans so they have an excuse not to gun right for her, and furthermore with her protected status she can be used as an example of how much humans hate mutants

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Star Wars #3, Basketful of Heads #5, Hellblazer 34, Suicide Squad #3, Far Sector #4, The Last God #5, Foldlords #4! Tell me your thoughts and feelings!

Hellblazer, Far Sector, and Folklords continue their run of excellence.

Hellblazer was pretty funny this month.
John met the guy who had been magically defending England in his stead, and it was brilliant
. Spurrier is slowly working up to the confrontation between John and
old man John

Far Sector was the fallout from last issue with the protests. You learn some more about how Jo's ring works and what makes it different from traditional GL rings.

Folklords added a new twist at the end of this issue, but I think I can see where Kindt is going and how it'll wrap up next month.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018

I read Hellblazer #4 because of this post, and I really loved it. I didn't expect to laugh so much but the humor worked, and the balance tones between the standard Constantine book and the jokes was executed well. I also liked that the entire bit about how Constantine is popular among the online magic community and has fanboys. My only issue is the art, it's very stylized in a way that doesn't work for me.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I read Hellblazer #4 because of this post, and I really loved it. I didn't expect to laugh so much but the humor worked, and the balance tones between the standard Constantine book and the jokes was executed well. I also liked that the entire bit about how Constantine is popular among the online magic community and has fanboys. My only issue is the art, it's very stylized in a way that doesn't work for me.

Ah, I think Matias Bergara was s perfect fit for the tone of this arc. The art worked perfectly for me.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I picked up Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns The Golden Child after I grabbed my pulls.

5ggUJfH.jpg

Porl

Nov 6, 2017

Just read Suicide Squad, and god damn it's so great. These first three issues were the introduction, and now things are gonna get wild

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Demon Bear was really damn short.

Triumph and Torment tricked me the same way where I got the trade but half of it wasn't even that run. You can't trust old comics.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered my Gail Simone WW omni. I own and read this digitally so I have no reason to get this, really, but I want this because I want to be able to put what is honest to god one of the best superhero comics I've ever read (and I will say that every single time) on my shelf in glorious omni format.
I just ordered it due to this comment!
you're changing lives!

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
that book was surprisingly good.

I read six or seven pages in and so far I agree. Frank Miller can still write some pretty comic book prose. I am unfamiliar with this artist, Grampá, but his stuff is fantastic. It feels very fitting for a Miller book.

I am putting this away until the weekend, when I'll have no distractions. I am trying to power through two novels and a collection of scientific essays prior to March for the "50 books. 50 movies." thread.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
8qiT8v3.jpg

This Phil Noto is the first time his art hasn't looked like Phil Noto'd that Phil Noto art. Usually all Phil Noto Phil Noto Phil Noto.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Bunch of previews for Empyre #0, 1, and 2:

www.bleedingcool.com

Wake Up Tony, Here Are All Your Preview Pages From Marvel's Empyre #0, #1 and #2...

Empyre #0 is coming in two flavours, Avengers Empyre #0 with a touch of Al Ewing and Pepe Larraz and Fantastic Four Empyre #0, garnished with Dan Slott

Man, im getting really hyped for this event lol. I see they are doing a mini HoX/PoX with Larraz and Silvia on Avengers Empyre #0 and Fantastic Four Empyre #0.

I need textless versions of those Cheung covers if anyone comes across them!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
When did they stop putting in those release calendar list thingys in the back of the X books? They were helpful for keeping track.

LOVE the art in today's X-Force.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Justice League Dark #20 was GREAT. Really glad I stuck with it.

Unfortunate that the cover credits are completely wrong though. Says it was written by Tynion IV and art by Martinez Bueno, when it was actually written by Ram V and art by Kyle Hotz. And, man, Hotz sure knows how to draw horror.

Oct 25, 2017
I read six or seven pages in and so far I agree. Frank Miller can still write some pretty comic book prose. I am unfamiliar with this artist, Grampá, but his stuff is fantastic. It feels very fitting for a Miller book.

I am putting this away until the weekend, when I'll have no distractions. I am trying to power through two novels and a collection of scientific essays prior to March for the "50 books. 50 movies." thread.

it was surprisingly woke and he wrote a GREAT Darkseid.

When did they stop putting in those release calendar list thingys in the back of the X books? They were helpful for keeping track.

LOVE the art in today's X-Force.

They had them last week. I haven't read the X-books yet this week but think it's probably because of the wonkiness of short delays for X-Men and NewMutants a couple of times already this year

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Man, JrJr's art in the latest Action Comics is ROUGH. Good layouts but everything else feels like it has deteriorated.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
Justice League Dark #20 was GREAT. Really glad I stuck with it.

Unfortunate that the cover credits are completely wrong though. Says it was written by Tynion IV and art by Martinez Bueno, when it was actually written by Ram V and art by Kyle Hotz. And, man, Hotz sure knows how to draw horror.
As it turns out, third-person narrative captions are a great way to set a tone of foreboding and mystery up WHO KNEW????

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
So X Men is basically becoming a cult right?
I like how Hickman just decided not to elaborate on why characters like Emma, Jean, etc. approved of that method to tamper down repowerings.

"This is how things are now"

"Why did these characters with decades of history that agree to this thing?"

"not gonna explain lol"

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, finally read Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Judas Contract, and that was...not good. At all. The premise started from so flaky a catalyst that the whole thing felt totally unearned. None of what she did made any sense. Like, she just decides she's going to start killing all heroes because Dick Grayson told her that our mentors shouldn't control our destiny?

Insane.

May 24, 2019
Have you read the rest of them? Judas Contract is the one I didn't read.
Did it feel less earned than Lois turn into a supervillain?
edit: Or Blue Beetle. They're all kind of like that. One thing happens differently and everyone turns into a world killer.

Oct 25, 2017
I like how Hickman just decided not to elaborate on why characters like Emma, Jean, etc. approved of that method to tamper down repowerings.

"This is how things are now"

"Why did these characters with decades of history that agree to this thing?"

"not gonna explain lol"

I would bet money that we're going to find out why down the road when shit goes down and it's clear who the traitor(s) are that cause Krakoa to fail however it is going to fail. Playing that hand right now by peeking into the meeting would just already plant that suspicion.

that being said my most likely candidates are Sinister and Doug/Krakoa. Maybe we see one or more members of the Five partner w/other other folks because they get tired of their job?

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
How was Leviathan Dawn?
It's Bendis dialogue over Maleev art, in the service of bringing forth a new Checkmate with a bunch of cool characters. I'm all about it, and I loved it, I think it's well balanced, but the aforementioned fact that it is things that I'm all about might have something to do with that assessment.

May 24, 2019
I'd love to see one of the Morrison era ugly mutants be featured in X-Men and get resurrected. Do you still get presented naked to a partying crowd if you're all gross?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this was posted before. Here are the contents for the Paul Dini Batman omnibus:

Collects Batman #685 (1940-), Batman Annual #1 (2016-), Batman Black and White #3 (2013-), Batman: Gotham Knights #14 (2000-), Batman: Streets of Gotham #1-4, #7, #10-14, #16-21, DCU Holiday Special #1, Detective Comics #821-824, #826-828, #831, #833-834, #837-841, #843-850, #852, #1000

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Giant Sized X-Men had some of the best dialogue Hickman has ever writtren

Joking aside, Dauterman is so freaking good. Just wow.

EDIT: Looks like ive got 3 issues left in the first DD omni! Gunna stop there tonight, things were really heating up in Hells Kitchen!

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
It's Bendis dialogue over Maleev art, in the service of bringing forth a new Checkmate with a bunch of cool characters. I'm all about it, and I loved it, I think it's well balanced, but the aforementioned fact that it is things that I'm all about might have something to do with that assessment.
Sounds good to me, I'll read it soon, thanks

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sorry if this was posted before. Here are the contents for the Paul Dini Batman omnibus:

Collects Batman #685 (1940-), Batman Annual #1 (2016-), Batman Black and White #3 (2013-), Batman: Gotham Knights #14 (2000-), Batman: Streets of Gotham #1-4, #7, #10-14, #16-21, DCU Holiday Special #1, Detective Comics #821-824, #826-828, #831, #833-834, #837-841, #843-850, #852, #1000

I'm just sour over other cancellations still. I'm getting wonder woman but I'm being petty about Batman collections right now.

May 24, 2019
Haha. I didn't consider that the Hush omnibus wouldn't contain the original Hush storyline.
I know it's cause that wasn't Dini, but that's gonna catch people off guard.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we'll get a Checkmate ongoing by Rucka once Lois Lane and the Checkmate miniseries are over!
I would LOVE to see that book.

Haha. I didn't consider that the Hush omnibus wouldn't contain the original Hush storyline.
I know it's cause that wasn't Dini, but that's gonna catch people off guard.
It is shitty that they cancelled the Hush omni, but there is the Absolute. Dini's stuff though is so much better anyway. I will totally be getting it, even though I just went through the entire run lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.