• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I never knew Mystique was gay until the last issue. That's kinda cool. I can see it.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I am both of the opinion that X-Men is absolutely queerbaiting in an egregious and offensive way and that X-Men is Marvel's most LGBT-friendly book and is growing more so with every issue. And I think that's worth seeing out.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Ordered my Gail Simone WW omni. I own and read this digitally so I have no reason to get this, really, but I want this because I want to be able to put what is honest to god one of the best superhero comics I've ever read (and I will say that every single time) on my shelf in glorious omni format.

Also I have not gotten an omni in years. Don't recall the last one I got.
Hey i only laugh cause i had a subscription for a great many years as a kid. It just dates me is all. Like, considerably haha
Dude so did I. I remember when Donkey Kong 64 came out and it was the hugest deal and they had an extra-sized Nintendo issue.
Except for the Shazam! backup, I thought it was all crap till Luthor joined post-FE.
I enjoy looking back on media I was down on years later, though. Sometimes you find something in it you didnt before.
Forever Evil is fucking great. A team up event where the Legion of Doom saves the world? Count me in. Written by Johns and drawn by Finch? Count me double in.
Donny's got you covered to show your love

Oh....oh no.
On the subject of Avengers I wonder what Aaron is planning to do with the new Starbrand.
This is one of my problems with his Avengers; he keeps building and building and building, but it still isn't paying off. We haven't seen the Russians in how long? Dracula's still chilling in the Chernobyl zone. Like so much of this was constructed around that concept of superhero teams and now it's the BC stuff. Granted it is fine to put the superhero teams — the thing this book built its entire concept around as essentially the lynchpin to what was going on in Marvel right now — on the back burner, but fucking Atlantis for god's sake which happened in like issue 5 or 6 will now never actually pay off because that's a side book with Agents of Atlas. We know because of War of the Realms something is supposed to happen with Khonshu yet. My bet is that Jen is going to become the new Starbrand. It'll parallel the whole BC Starbrand also being Savage Hulk. Plus she very clearly showed a connection with the child and her new form and powers were due to interactions with the Celestials and therefore cosmic in nature, but as Strange said they're still something "different."
Now, the complaints against DKR2 aren't valid or worth listening to. It's too radical for the plebs.

edit: Here's Bleedingcool posting a bunch of stories about the people they think have been scouted as new creatives at DC:

Geoffrey Thorne (novelist, TV screenwriter and creator of the Inhuman, Mosac!)
www.bleedingcool.com

Geoffrey Thorne, a Big New Name For DC Comics?

Geoffrey Thorne was an actor through the eighties and nineties, most prominently as one of the leads in long-running In The Heat Of The Night TV remake
Ah yes. Mosaic. That wonderful new character Marvel introduced.
I love flat shaded comics!! It looks a thousand times better to me than the trend in the mid 90s - 2000s look where everything was this nasty pillow-shaded airbrush look. It really did no favours to the great comic artists from earlier eras like George Perez whose style fit the flatter colours way better. I'm glad modern comics aren't afraid to do flat colours.

george-perez-wonder-woman.jpg

This ^ looks far better to me than this v

JLA-Avenegrs-featured.jpg
I mean yeah I agree in that scenario. Especially when you get down to Scarlet Witch. But also the top looks glorious

I kinda love this Jean costume. Favorite is still the 90s Jim Lee look, but this is a close second.

And now THAT is officially the best Jean Grey costume I have ever seen.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that a bunch of persecuted and oppressed people coming together to form a society that can protect them and then almost immediately turn on the "we are the superior race" stuff makes me uncomfortable. Like I'm playing Bioshock Infinite or some shit. It doesn't help when I think about how everyone writing the X-Men except eventually Vita Ayala is white unless I'm mistaken.

Bryan Hill.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered my Gail Simone WW omni. I own and read this digitally so I have no reason to get this, really, but I want this because I want to be able to put what is honest to god one of the best superhero comics I've ever read (and I will say that every single time) on my shelf in glorious omni format.

Also I have not gotten an omni in years. Don't recall the last one I got.
Wow, nice.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to buy this but it won't look like that once the factory fucks it up.

Also Champions gonna be beautiful

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Hickman really likes Midsommar I see.
Lol the first thing that popped into my mind when reading it. Probably my favorite X-men issue yet. And I for one love the polyamorous vibe of all the mutants now.

Giant Size was good but no dialogue makes it a very quick read. Beautiful art though as expected.

FF/X-men was my 2nd favorite X book this week. I looove Doom and Zdarsky nails him, just like all the FF.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like the issue hinted at Jean, Scott, and Logan being some sort of open relationship with each other lol.

So Jean's down for this...but not Emma? Wack.

Champions basically ate Young Avengers lunch.

Nah. Young Avengers has always felt like a book that couldn't be done without a very specific vision. People love them and yet outside of event tie-ins we've really only gotten two YA comics. The original stuff from Allan Heinberg and Kieron/Jamie's run. They've never made a legitimate attempt to make it a monthly where maybe the vision guy leaves and you've got some fill-in person for 5 issues.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I am both of the opinion that X-Men is absolutely queerbaiting in an egregious and offensive way and that X-Men is Marvel's most LGBT-friendly book and is growing more so with every issue. And I think that's worth seeing out.

I've never felt baited by X-Men. I've always felt comforted by it. The big two in general have a problem with writing outside the hereto norm, but X-Men has been trying for a long time they are far from the worst example.

Hickman however is teasing. But he's not teasing me, he's teasing the community. The nightcrawler thing. The triad thing. The orgy comments. He's trying to say hey, when they aren't fighting, they're wild in bed.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
ASM was really good this week. Interesting developments, the closing of some plot threads and the set up for what happens post Sins Rising/Dead Remains. Really interested to see where it all goes. We're definitely past that 2099 slog.

Buuuuuut what sucks is that it's apparent the 2099 arc is super important to future threads and things will be building off of it.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Totally forgot there was an issue of New Mutants today. Buying that now. I've stopped getting X-Force after that last boring issue, even though I love Domino.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
X-force has a nice colossus moment, and it's scratching my "edgy but melancholy" itch that Fallen Angels tried but failed to
Grimm Noir is fun and delivers on the premise, it was more horror-ish than I expected. Gordon and Bruce appear too. If only Sou Da was here
I have Hellblazer #4 sitting there...but I think I'm burnt out on hellblazer for the time being.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, there's a lot of stuff out this week. I didn't even realize.

And I'm thinking about going back in on stuff like X-Force (after saying I was done with all of them a week or two ago).

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
LoL.

How many black people have written X-Men at all. Other people of color? Over its entire history.

Greg Pak. Mariko Tamaki. Bryan Hill. Vita Ayala. Saladin Ahmed if you count Exiles. Five. You could probably stretch that to 8 maximum? Over 57 years.

And two-fifths of that is under Hickman era alone.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
LoL.

How many black people have written X-Men at all. Other people of color? Over its entire history.

Greg Pak. Mariko Tamaki. Bryan Hill. Vita Ayala. Saladin Ahmed if you count Exiles. Five. You could probably stretch that to 8 maximum? Over 57 years.

Jesus, this is insane to think about.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
LoL.

Damn. It's almost shocking considering the themes of the books over the years.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
LoL.

Only other one I can think of is Marjorie Liu.

The list of women writers is a equally sad: Louise Simonson, Jo Duffy, Marjorie Liu, Mariko Tamaki, Gail Simone, G Willow Wilson, Leah Williams, and Tini Howard.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Some interesting tidbits from the Comics Conspiracy podcast regarding DC and the Didio thing. Just some stuff I had forgotten about, or was put into context for me.

Johns was made CCO around the time of the New 52. When DCYou was not doing too well, he went over everyone's heads and decided to reset the line with Rebirth. Then he started work on Doomsday Clock, which was supposed to fix everything else that Rebirth hadnt yet. Around the first couple issues of Doomsday Clock he stopped being Chief Creative Officer, which allowed for changes to be made to the line overall without his input/control.

DC is doing a type of History of the Marvel Universe books that start with the FCBD Generation Zero. There will be a Generation One one shot next, and the thinking is they will do one for each "generation" until they his Generation Five.

During New 52 J.H.Williams was going to marry Kate Kane/Batwoman with her girlfriend, but was told he wasnt allowed, which is why he ended up leaving.

The profits from New 52 sales bought Ryan Higgins a house lol

Christian

Oct 25, 2017

The list of women writers is a equally sad: Louise Simonson, Jo Duffy, Marjorie Liu, Mariko Tamaki, Gail Simone, G Willow Wilson, Leah Williams, and Tini Howard.

Kelly Thompson. I know it's only one more, but her stuff was so good, I feel obligated to point it out.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I certainly didn't expect Doomsday Clock to be this blunt in the end. Probably every Supes story in Action Comics #1000 was less corny than this ending. The art is the saving grace of this book and is the only reason why DC works to some extend.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

I knew there'd be at least one I forgot about, which is why I said you could probably stretch it. So six.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anne Nocenti wrote the original backup stories in Classic X-Men, and wrote Longshot.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So I saw the preview for Batgirl #44 just to see what that book is up to and it's totally using the writer from Abnett's Titans run.

Wild.
Oh the last omni I got I bought at my LCS' FCBD sale. It was a Busiek Iron Man omni. It's laying around somewhere. I haven't finished it, and it's been ages and I only made it a couple issues in so I'd need to restart it.

Also I just read that run this past Christmas and I literally can't stop thinking about it.
LoL.

I plum forgot about Exiles. And I wouldn't. Wasn't it only Blink who was a mutant? Oh and Chibi Wolverine.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019
How's Amethyst and that Leviathan Checkmate bridge issue? I bought them but I'm deciding what to load up for my bus-to-work reading other than X-Men.

I did finish Dial H today and it features an Ignatz Mouse transformation, so I'm satisfied.
Also, while we're talking about LGBT representation, in this issue the DCU was secretly reset so that a boy could ask out another boy 👍

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.