• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
WTF is going on the TWD show, just seen an image of Negan and Alpha butt naked whilst some guy watches with his head out of a hole in the ground

They're in the middle of a forest too with socks on

No, I get it. I just don't get why people need to request temp bans instead of using a little self-control.
Agreed

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
doom patrol art rocked! i really love the flat coloring and shading. gives the image an awesome richness, but still allows for really great fine detail at the same time as a cartooonist style that makes it seem both realistic and everything but.

1818943-painting_2.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I get it. I just don't get why people need to request temp bans instead of using a little self-control.

Speaking as an internet junkie it really does help to be barred from the thing you're trying to avoid. If you could exercise enough self control you wouldn't have the problem in the first place.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It bums me out that I like a lot of the art posted from the modern era, 'cause I can't genuinely dunk on it when ya'll bitch about old stuff. I could pick on a few people but it feels kinda douche-y.

Of course he was. I did an entire post on him being a dick last year.
www.resetera.com

COMICS!!!|OT| August 2019 | DON'T MAKE IT TOO GAY!

I took a glance at it and I fucked off out of there.
Reposted here for ease of reading:
But again... Xavier. This is issue #1.

x-men-xavier-jerk.png

"Haha! Outright lies, my teenage charges!"

tumblr_inline_naxj0ooKOe1sbqej1.png

uxm065_10.jpg

"I mean, he was dying already, right?"

MInd.jpg

"I know I totally brainwashed folks in the past, but... not like anymore, right?"

Legion.jpg

"I'm never leaving you son." *Promptly leaves him to Moira*

dj-aRN9lb_fVOpkWVzPwpcHEBncPioLVxc2m_3Nk7zA.png

"Hey girl."

These are examples of Xavier being kinda dick ish. I'm not even gonna dunk on him for finding Storm hot--he kept all that stuff to himself. But the example I linked? It's the kind of stuff you see in a movie right before the main character realizes the kindly old guy that's been guiding them is actually a bad person and potentially even the villain. He asks Scott for something, Scott points out how it's an unreasonable request, and Xavier's response is to call Scott--essentially his freaking son, an "ungrateful cur", then start talking about how he took him in. Sounds like he's talking to a dog. Even has his hand up like he's about to strike him.

Your stuff is bad, but it's bad in kind of a "Superdickery" sort of way. I can brush most of it (mind control stuff aside) off. But that Cyclops panel legitimately shouldn't have been written that way. Like, he's not even pissed because Scott won't go save the X-Men. He's pissed because Scott for once chose not to follow his orders.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Confession time: I haven't read Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns or Sandman... I'm wondering which of these are best to try out first.
They're all great. People here tend to be more down on Watchmen and DKR than is typical so keep that in mind when reading responses. That doesn't mean that those views aren't valid and worth listening to but they are not widespread opinions outside of this thread.

May 24, 2019
Now, the complaints against DKR2 aren't valid or worth listening to. It's too radical for the plebs.

edit: Here's Bleedingcool posting a bunch of stories about the people they think have been scouted as new creatives at DC:

Tim Sheridan (writer for DC animated projects)
www.bleedingcool.com

Tim Sheridan - A Big New Name For DC Comics?

Tim Sheridan has already written a lot for DC Comics and Warners. Just not for the comics. He has five episodes of DC Super Hero Girls LEGO - Galactic

Ken Kristensen (writer on the Happy! tv show)
www.bleedingcool.com

Ken Kristensen - A Big New Name For DC Comics?

Ken Kristensen has a lot of comic book-related projects. Some involving actual comic books. An Academy Nicholl-award-winning screenwriter, he was story

Kevin Shinick (writer of Superior Carnage and Axis: Hobgoblin)
www.bleedingcool.com

Kevin Shinick - A Big New Name For DC Comics?

Kevin Shinick is an Emmy award winning writer as well as an actor, director and multiple Annie award-winning producer. Working alongside George Lucas,

Geoffrey Thorne (novelist, TV screenwriter and creator of the Inhuman, Mosac!)
www.bleedingcool.com

Geoffrey Thorne, a Big New Name For DC Comics?

Geoffrey Thorne was an actor through the eighties and nineties, most prominently as one of the leads in long-running In The Heat Of The Night TV remake

Meghan Fitzmartin (writer for Supernatural)
www.bleedingcool.com

Meghan Fitzmartin, a Big New Name For DC Comics?

Meghan Fitzmartin is best known as her role as executive assistant to the showrunner on the TV show Supernatural, then becoming a staff writer on the

Last edited:

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up this trade. A collection of shorts with contributions from Fiona Staples, Faith Erin Hicks and others. Should have paid attention to the publisher name though. It got very very NSFW very very quickly...

m0sxKkn.png

Oct 25, 2017
So I decided to look around for some forgotten/underrated X-men related minis and I grabbed BKV's X-Men Icons: Chamber. Holy shit this whips ass! Highly recommend it for a nice short and sweet book, just like his Doctor Strange: The Oath.

anyone have any fav random minis (Not necessarily X-Men related) that slipped through the cracks?

May 24, 2019
Recently, I really liked Meet The Skrulls. That sort of slipped under the radar.

e: That Defenders group of connected one-shots from last year was kinda cool.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Then tell me critically what is terrible in it.
The biggest turn-off for me is probably the lack of any real color gradiants. It's like the deepest they go with coloring is the paint bucket tool in photoshop.

That aside, there's some wonky anatomy and a real lack of detail in a lot of panels. In 2020, a lot of high school students can draw better than this.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh, another thing. Does anyone here read EC Comics? It's a shame the CCA killed them off because their comics were pretty entertaining.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest turn-off for me is probably the lack of any real color gradiants. It's like the deepest they go with coloring is the paint bucket tool in photoshop.

That aside, there's some wonky anatomy and a real lack of detail in a lot of panels. In 2020, a lot of high school students can draw better than this.
I guess the issue I have is that you associate the amount of gradients and detail with good art, and lack of that stuff with bad art. Yet you don't really have those issues with modern day artists who are purposefully sparing in detail and color depth (considering today's level of color and gradients possible) like Chris Samnee or Steve Lieber (Fraction's Jimmy Olsen artist).

I think you also are completely bypassing quality of storytelling. Yeah, there ARE high school students who can draw "better" than this (whatever that entails), but that doesn't mean they're actually good visual storytellers.

I mean, yeah, colors WERE more limited then by virtue of the technology they had (or lack thereof), but they worked well with what they had. I just can't understand how you can believe that art before modern coloring techniques was just "bad," when you can compare 40s art to 60s and 60s to 80s and see MASSIVE strides in art all throughout and all of it had its own interesting qualities.

I would say maybe it's just because you didn't read art back then, but I've only been reading since 2015 and I have no problem seeing the intrinsic qualities in all decades of comic art.

Status
Not open for further replies.