• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Confession time: I haven't read Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns or Sandman... I'm wondering which of these are best to try out first.

Definitely Sandman.

Then yeah, just start with the whole Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin. It's a retelling of the original anime with a bunch of added context to the characters' histories.

Wait, what? Can I answer this question with "No"?

Is it a better overall telling of the original Gundam story?

And I've already got one ongoing giant robot fiction infecting my life, I don't need another.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Confession time: I haven't read Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns or Sandman... I'm wondering which of these are best to try out first.
Sandman. I'll be honest and say I don't really like the other two. Watchmen is worth reading because of what it conveys, but I could never go back and read it again because it's far too dry and boring for my tastes.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a better overall telling of the original Gundam story?

And I've already got one ongoing giant robot fiction infecting my life, I don't need another.
I think so. I liked Origin a lot. The manga volumes are beautiful hardcover volumes. They MSRP for $30 each, but I think I paid like $20 or so per. You have it a bit tougher since they're all released, and I purchased them as they came out.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I never read Sandman 'cus I don't like the art but it's something I wanna read one day since it's a classic. I almost got it, like, 2 months ago since I saw a good deal on the whole collection but I didn't pull the trigger on it.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sandman. I'll be honest and say I don't really like the other two. Watchmen is worth reading because of what it conveys, but I could never go back and read it again because it's far too dry and boring for my tastes.
Watchmen sounds interesting though, because it seems to be a critique of the moral absolutism that plagues superheroes.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks that all the Sandman collections are super pricey. How can Image release a Saga trade that collections 50 issues for $35 (on IST) but I gotta pay a billion for just a few issues of Sandman? RELEASE THE PAPERBACK CUT

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I would say Aaron's only standout book was Thor. Everything else has been bad/middling/good. His X-Men was all over
I can't remember if it was this mini or the FF v X-Men mini at around the same time.

One of them I really liked, the other wasn't that great. Honestly can't recall which.

I liked the Avengers one better but that's because as a kid I thought the FF were lame as hell. I didn't learn to appreciate the FF until much later in life and even the majority of it is kinda boring for me.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish I had IST in Canada. We don't have an equivalent so it's much harder to get stuff that is discounted that heavily.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Of those three Watchmen is my favorite and the one I'd recommend the most. DKR is very good as well, and while I get the appeal of Sandman and why folks love it, I'm not a huge Gaiman fan so it's just kinda there for me.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you have digital options, I would strongly consider it for a run this long.
Eh, one reason I'm trying to get into reading though is because I spend way too much time on electronics and am trying to find ways to get off of it.
Of those three Watchmen is my favorite and the one I'd recommend the most. DKR is very good as well, and while I get the appeal of Sandman and why folks love it, I'm not a huge Gaiman fan so it's just kinda there for me.
Honestly, I'm surprised I haven't read Watchmen yet, but I guess it just shows how much I've focused on Marvel over DC.

May 24, 2019
I think the dreaming doesn't work half as well if you haven't read sandman beforehand.
Besides I don't really think they are quite comparable

Just saying if the early 90's is holding you up, the thing out right now looks modern and is quite new-reader friendly, imo. You could totally go back once you're invested.

I'm kinda that case myself. I only made it a few storylines into Sandman before the new series (not because of the art, it just happened to end up on the backlog) and I've only had the strong urge to look one character up.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Messi needs to get this community back on track!
I wish people would stop calling art they're not into "bad" or "terrible" or "trash." A guy on Facebook remarked how he recently read the Doom Patrol by Morrison run and said it had "great writing but terrible art," and I was thinking, "what?!?!" Richard Case's art was fantastic on that run. I understand if 80s art is not to your taste, but please tell me in critical terms how it's TERRIBLE. There's no way. Just say the art is not to your taste. But also, broaden your tastes.

Look at this stuff. It's awesome.

Screenshot-20200225-171414-Comics.jpg

Screenshot-20200225-171336-Comics.jpg

One day I will peel this and Fourth World Omni off my wishlist...

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Just saying if the early 90's is holding you up, the thing out right now looks modern and is quite new-reader friendly, imo. You could totally go back once you're invested.

I'm kinda that case myself. I only made it a few storylines into Sandman before the new series (not because of the art, it just happened to end up on the backlog) and I've only had the strong urge to look one character up.
Hm, seems like my reading of the dreaming might be too clouded by Sandman. Still, the art does switch up in sandman. I didn't jive with the art in the first volume either but I think it got better afterwards

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I wish people would stop calling art they're not into "bad" or "terrible" or "trash." A guy on Facebook remarked how he recently read the Doom Patrol by Morrison run and said it had "great writing but terrible art," and I was thinking, "what?!?!" Richard Case's art was fantastic on that run. I understand if 80s art is not to your taste, but please tell me in critical terms how it's TERRIBLE. There's no way. Just say the art is not to your taste. But also, broaden your tastes.

Look at this stuff. It's awesome.

Screenshot-20200225-171414-Comics.jpg

Screenshot-20200225-171336-Comics.jpg
Look at that disgusting old man art

Edit: your not wrong btw, that was just a joke. People have a hard time going back sometimes. My thing with older books is the amount of exposition compared to modern comics.

Last edited:

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Aaron has been overrated and the only good books he did were Thor and maybe Valkyrie but Ewing was carrying him and everyone knows it. I forget how he was with Hulk and Ghost Rider.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I like Aaron's work overall. I dislike his Avengers, which happens to be the thing he's currently doing.

That's pretty much it.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never read Sandman 'cus I don't like the art but it's something I wanna read one day since it's a classic. I almost got it, like, 2 months ago since I saw a good deal on the whole collection but I didn't pull the trigger on it.

The art is my favorite part of Sandman.

Eh, one reason I'm trying to get into reading though is because I spend way too much time on electronics and am trying to find ways to get off of it.

Honestly, I'm surprised I haven't read Watchmen yet, but I guess it just shows how much I've focused on Marvel over DC.

Watchmen is one of my favorite comics and I reread it every couple years, but at the same time I kinda hate how it's pushed on people. For a long time there's been this sentiment that if you have even a passing interest in comics then you better read Watchmen! I hate that gatekeeping nonsense.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Wolverine the long night, honestly, might be one of my favourite ever Wolverine stories.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
6b78234bd6c719b5e875c857e005d4ad.jpg

Aaron and Hickman want to un Bendis the new one I guess?
Controversial opinion but I loved AvX. I liked everyone getting the Phoenix force and the costumes with it. Cyclops and Emma were the highlights but Namor destroying Wakanda was dope. I get the hate for other Marvel events but not this one. And now talking shit about Aaron? Nah, he did Scalped, Thor, Southern Bastards, and Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine. He gets a lifetime pass.
Sandman. I think DKR is okay but Year One is better. Watchmen is good depending on your taste for Moore but really only worth reading so you can watch the HBO show which is so much better and a great sequel.
lol

apparently tomorrow's Giant Sized X-Men is an homage to Morrison and Quietly's New X-Men 121, even down to the art.

Newsarama | GamesRadar+

Hook it in my veins.

Status
Not open for further replies.