• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
Fear Itself was pretty bad too. Though Original Sin did have one good thing.... The Orb!

3865245-orb-astonishing_spider-man%26wolverine%232-new_look.jpg
Completely forgot Fear Itself was Aaron's, it's such a non-event that my memories are blank about it and I know I read it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Writing corporate owned characters is hard enough without editorial demanding the pieces move in exact directions.

But then again Mark Millar had a lot of freedom going into Civil War and that's still top 3 worst event comics.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, Bob Iger stepped down as CEO.

Whoever the new CEO is, they'll make sure we get an Ultimatum movie.
IIRC He was gonna leave next year.
Fraction, Aaron, Remender, Lemire and Soule are fantastic and made steaming piles. I don't blame them. Getting wrapped up in a Marvel event is a curse.

edit: or I guess it was under Alonso.
I was mostly speaking about Bendis because that guy was involved with several events.

Deleted member 2085

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was, but still...

Looks like Bob Chapek is next.
I don't know what this means for Disney going forward. I'm pretty sure they'll stick to what makes MCU a box office success.
As for Star Wars, even if Bob Iger stayed, I think the future for that franchise would still be taking a break from the public lime light for a bit.

My main concern (because I don't really care with what happens to the MCU or SW at the moment) is the animation side. I hope they make something new each year and focus less on sequels or prequels we didn't care about in the first place. But since Disney likes making money, I doubt this will happen anytime soon.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
And you'll never have to worry about a boring Catesvengers because he said he didn't think he was good with team books.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Put Zub on avengers, he's clearly interested in the team and his team books lately are much better than aaronvengers

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I don't think Zub is quite as good as people think he is. He can hit home runs with certain things, but he's not an all-around top-tier writer like, say, Charles Soule.
I would place Soule as all-around above average writer. None of his stuff I read really wowed me tbh, maybe I should check out his novels

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I wish people would stop calling art they're not into "bad" or "terrible" or "trash." A guy on Facebook remarked how he recently read the Doom Patrol by Morrison run and said it had "great writing but terrible art," and I was thinking, "what?!?!" Richard Case's art was fantastic on that run. I understand if 80s art is not to your taste, but please tell me in critical terms how it's TERRIBLE. There's no way. Just say the art is not to your taste. But also, broaden your tastes.

Look at this stuff. It's awesome.

Screenshot-20200225-171414-Comics.jpg

Screenshot-20200225-171336-Comics.jpg

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I wish people would stop calling art they're not into "bad" or "terrible" or "trash." A guy on Facebook remarked how he recently read the Doom Patrol by Morrison run and said it had "great writing but terrible art," and I was thinking, "what?!?!" Richard Case's art was fantastic on that run. I understand if 80s art is not to your taste, but please tell me in critical terms how it's TERRIBLE. There's no way. Just say the art is not to your taste. But also, broaden your tastes.
It is frustrating. I think that extends to all mediums of entertainment. People have a tendency to say "This is shit," rather than saying it isn't for them or they don't like it. It's good to try not to make one's subjective statements sound like objective statements. I doubt most people can do this all the time, but we should try to be fair, at least. I fail to do this sometimes, but I try to see the merit in something that others like. There's obviously stuff we would all think is shit, like the game Rogue Warrior.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i needed a ~$22 book to go with my berserk pickup and i ended up getting the Gundam Origins Vol. 1 hardcover. this is SpaceSong's fault.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hypothetically, if I were to get into Gundam (preferably a classic manga), where do I start and where do I stop?

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Confession time: I haven't read Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns or Sandman... I'm wondering which of these are best to try out first.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Hypothetically, if I were to get into Gundam (preferably a classic manga), where do I start
Then yeah, just start with the whole Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin manga. It's a retelling of the original anime with a bunch of added context to the characters' histories.
and where do I stop?
Wait, what? Can I answer this question with "No"? You never stop Gundaming, gundammit!

Typically, you would then watch Gundam Zeta. Watch whatever the fuck you want. There are some great universal timeline (the canon timeline of the original series) shows, OVAs, and movies, and I like some of the alternate timeline shows, too. It's all personal preference, anyway.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Confession time: I haven't read Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns or Sandman... I'm wondering which of these are best to try out first.
Read all three! DKR is probably the fastest. Then Watchmen. Then if you're still feeling excited about comics, go in for the deep dive that is The Sandman.

Status
Not open for further replies.