• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people got into comics via Secret Empire.
I was into comics as a kid but I would just mostly buy whatever had the cool embossed / hologram covers. There weren't a lot of books I followed monthly besides Spider-Man and X-Men (the Jim Lee run).

As an adult, it was the Planet Hulk hardcover that I decided to buy.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this tip. I bought it through CMX and was blown away. Sure, Larocca's art sucks (but not as bad as his later stuff) but it makes me wish for an entire Fraction run 😢

We can build a time machine and force Marvel to replace Slott with Fraction after Superior ended. He might've been done with Big 2 by then but still.

Alternatively we could stop One More Day from ever happening so Fraction gets an entire run with a married Peter.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
I was into comics as a kid but I would just mostly buy whatever had the cool embossed / hologram covers. There weren't a lot of books I followed monthly besides Spider-Man and X-Men (the Jim Lee run).

As an adult, it was the Planet Hulk hardcover that I decided to buy.

As a kid, I pretty much read everything. I read the usual stuff kids here would read like the Beano and the Dandy, reprint books of Transformers/Marvel/DC, as well as sneaking a look at my much older brothers' 2000 AD issues and annuals. And I was an avid reader of Sonic the Comic, even tho I wasn't allowed a console til I was 9 or so (or "Fleetway Sonic" as the US folks call him). My aunts and godparents were all in the UK and used to buy boxes of stuff from the quarter bin-equivalents in places like Forbidden Planet as well, so every few months I would get a glut of US issues from just about every Big Two book going.

As an adult, I kept going pretty solidly until Secret Invasion, but I came back after Siege just because I wanted to see the classic Avengers return and for Norman to get the shit kicked out of him. And I've been mostly steady since then.

How were you not confused as all hell? haha

My brother's friend had a kid who had the previous issues (I started around the point of "Smoke & Mirrors"), who was happy to let me read them. Plus I had my Aspie brain (undiagnosed at the time), so I soaked it all in pretty quickly.

I should add, I was reading the UK reprints, which had a classic slot pretty consistently. So along the way, I read about how Gwen died, the initial Jackal storyline, all that sort of stuff, which added context along the way.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019
In what way, exactly?

I think she said in the article that she hasn't been on the DC beat in years and I think that shows. The summation of the recent past reads to me like someone who just got clued in on the most notorious headlines and compiled them.

e: By the article, you'd think he just planned Crisis events and maimed characters.
There's a quick mention of the outpouring of support he's gotten over his dismissal, but you'd wonder why people felt that way at all.

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, agreed. I think I've read most of them and have enjoyed what I've read. Seems like something where that could have been putting out two or three books a year and building a nice line of evergreen titles.
Agreed. Funnily enough the two recent Walmart books both work to fill that void, IMO. I'd happily hand someone interested in either Superman or Batman the TPB for either of those stories and would feel fairly confident that they'd enjoy it and would get a good sense of what makes those characters work.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
I'd been following comics for a minute but Batman Inc. is what got me to go to the shops, so blame THAT for my whole deal

May 24, 2019
Ditto. Batman RIP, Sinestro Corps War and Final Crisis. Then I went back to COIE in an effort to understand and got interested in pretty much the entirety of DC's history through that and much Googling.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea Blackest Night is what got me to actually visit comic shops on the regular, compared to the spinner racks I was getting my books from in the late 90s.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My comics start was I believe with the Azzarello Joker comic (it could also have been something else, but I can't remember). That I think I got because I was so amazed by Bermejo's art that I had to get it to stare at it.

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
started getting interested in comics after Avengers movie but first tried New52 books cause they looked like an easier entry point to the medium. Didn't get really into it until I found old trades for Ultimate Spider-Man and FUCKING LOVED IT.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The Dark Knight is what got me wanting to read comics but I had already read a bunch of manga.

May 24, 2019
I had comics in my childhood but it was all really patchy bits and pieces of the mid 90's.
I had a collection of random Venom stories (I don't think it was Lethal Protector), The Death of Superman, one single Batman issue from the Knightfall saga, the Legion Quest issues that led up to Age of Apocalypse (but no Age of Apocalypse) and most importantly The Mask and Mask Returns collections mum bought me cause I was a fan of the movie. Thanks, mum.
I was already a young fan of horror and action movies so Mask was just right for my warped lil mind.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda regret getting Immortal Hulk vol 1-3 a while ago because I just found out that there's a mini omnibus of sorts that has issues #1-15 for only 20 bucks. Ah well, I'll wait for the second one

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
The Dark Knight is what got me wanting to read comics but I had already read a bunch of manga.

Definitely the biggest disconnect I have with younger fans. I had almost 0 contact with anime or manga until I was well into my 20s (I didn't have satellite so Toonami was not a thing for me) and started as an (alleged) mature student at college. I was in multimedia design/development, so naturally almost THE ENTIRE FUCKING COURSE was into one or the other, and I was just utterly lost.

I have tried but overall it's just not my thing. Even stuff I like, I find the animes a slog (this is true of most TV as I get older tho), and the manga is like learning a new coding language every time I try. I love the idea of $2 a month all-you-can-eat with Jump, but there's nothing on the menu I like that much.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The first comic I remember reading was from a Batman two-pack from K-Mart when I was a kid, probably six years old. Jason Todd stole the wheels off the Batmobile (or was stopped in the process? I can't recall how it went down exactly).

The first book that made me really love the medium was an old dog-eared reprint of Gobbledygook #1. The owner of the LCS near my neighborhood let me have it for $0.75, all I had. It was an anthology of a bunch of crazy black and white comics including TMNT #1.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
The first comic that actually got me to visit a shop regularly was 52 since it came out weekly. I bought a few trades while wandering around with friends but knowing that a comic I really loved would be there every Wednesday made it a habit.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
My first comic was a Rocky & Bullwinkle #1 in 1987. That, and Casper the Friendly Ghost #238 that was apparently from 1958. Yikes.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Funnily enough the two recent Walmart books both work to fill that void, IMO. I'd happily hand someone interested in either Superman or Batman the TPB for either of those stories and would feel fairly confident that they'd enjoy it and would get a good sense of what makes those characters work.

I didn't read the Superman one but the Bendis/Derington Batman was incredible. Now that they're in comic shops I buy the Flash and Swamp Thing 100 page giants, Gail Simone has been doing the main Flash story and Mark Russell is doing Swamp Thing. Both are very entertaining.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I got into comics because my sister gave me her old ones. The first I bought with my allowance was the Batman the Movie adaptation comic. What made me comic nuts; marvel cards, series 1.

May 24, 2019
A Charles Soule Star Wars novel is happening, if y'all like the combination of those things!
www.resetera.com

Star Wars: The High Republic - A First Look at Project Luminous

FWIW, Jason schreier replied to me on Twitter when he had the story about the battlefront spinoff. He said there were two Star Wars games in development at EA: fallen order 2 and a smaller unusual title. I asked him if the smaller title was related to project luminous and he said he doesn’t...

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I legit got into comics thanks to the Marvel Tsunami thing. Fell off after Secret Invasion and came back just after IM 2.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
started getting interested in comics after Avengers movie but first tried New52 books cause they looked like an easier entry point to the medium. Didn't get really into it until I found old trades for Ultimate Spider-Man and FUCKING LOVED IT.
Yeah, I think Ultimate Spider-Man was one of the best re-introductions to a character ever. Perfect place for new readers to start getting into a classic character without having to figure out whatever bullshit was going on in the main series.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't read the Superman one but the Bendis/Derington Batman was incredible. Now that they're in comic shops I buy the Flash and Swamp Thing 100 page giants, Gail Simone has been doing the main Flash story and Mark Russell is doing Swamp Thing. Both are very entertaining.
I didn't know Russell was doing Swamp Thing. I might need to search that out.

I really liked the Superman one. It meandered a bit toward the beginning but nailed the last few issues, I thought. Aside from All Star Superman there's not really any modern Superman book I'd choose over it to hand to a new fan to introduce the character (although I'm not quite as high on Birthright as some even though I quite like it).

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
A Charles Soule Star Wars novel is happening, if y'all like the combination of those things!
www.resetera.com

Star Wars: The High Republic - A First Look at Project Luminous

FWIW, Jason schreier replied to me on Twitter when he had the story about the battlefront spinoff. He said there were two Star Wars games in development at EA: fallen order 2 and a smaller unusual title. I asked him if the smaller title was related to project luminous and he said he doesn’t...

Huh. Yeah alright why not.

May 24, 2019
It's cliche, but I'd hand someone What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way.
One issue and it perfectly displays what boring old Superman has over "cool, badass" characters.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'd only read the occasional comic book before I was a teen, mostly because that's all we could afford. Once in awhile I'd get something off the spinning rack at 7-11, and I'd get one for Christmas. I have a random collection of single issues from the 80's, '90, and '91. Most of the time I had no idea what was happening, but it's all I had. Infinity Gauntlet #1 especially baffled 11 year old me lol.

The first real complete story I read was the "Cable: Blood and Metal" two issue series, and then I got a couple of the main series when that started. Cable has a special place in my comic loving heart now.

A bit later, a friend leant me his X-Cutioner's Song collection, and Dark Knight Returns. I started collecting some X-Men books after that, including a long run of Generation X (I'm still unhappy with how badly they fucked up those characters over time).

May 24, 2019
Just remembered I had this Batmite Knighfall parody special two decades before actually reading Knightfall.
N5kXmMa.jpg

It's not on Comixology :(

edit: Oh shit. It's in here:
Buying!

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I only read mangos beforehand, so when I first got into comics I went with the famous ones. So I started with Watchmen, DKR, and Batman Year One. Not a bad way to start.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
What is this new Star Wars thing going on tonight? Guess Charles Soule is doing a novel for it.

May 24, 2019
What is this new Star Wars thing going on tonight? Guess Charles Soule is doing a novel for it.

I just linked to the thread on it. Seems to be a project based around a way-in-the-past Jedi era Soule set up in the Kylo series. He's writing one of two novels and there'll probably be other bits of multimedia, Shadows of the Empire style.
Look out for the N64 game.

Eleriu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've read some things that I decided to post about only now.

Flashpoint
When the TV show did this story I didn't know if I should have laughed or cried at how they handled it. S3 made this story a problem of the week episode. In favor of having the season be about the Warframe Savv. Anyways luckily the comic was much better. A lot happens that I won't spoil, but damn Barry you really screwed up man. And Eobard always mocking Barry is forever a highlight.

Running Scared
I need that page of Eobard chilling on the West's couch in live action. Anyways, Barry is bummed and Eobard shows up while he's bummed to cause chaos as always. I won't spoil anything again, but I enjoyed this arc quite a bit. Eobard also totally-doesn't-look-like-Matt-Letscher in this. More Eobard mocking fun happens in this too.

Infinite Crisis

So, you screwed up the multi-verse? Well here's how to put it back together because now everything sucks. Superman shenanigans is also an accurate title for this too because his doppelgangers are always causing chaos. I don't what to say lol. I'm having fun reading everything which is a good thing.

Justice League: The Darkseid War
I need more of Mister Miracle and his amazing wife Barda. That's the review bye.
In seriousness I liked reading this. A lot of wild shit happens, but that's comics for you.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I've read some things that I decided to post about only now.

Flashpoint
When the TV show did this story I didn't know if I should have laughed or cried at how they handled it. S3 made this story a problem of the week episode. In favor of having the season be about the Warframe Savv. Anyways luckily the comic was much better. A lot happens that I won't spoil, but damn Barry you really screwed up man. And Eobard always mocking Barry is forever a highlight.

Running Scared
I need that page of Eobard chilling on the West's couch in live action. Anyways, Barry is bummed and Eobard shows up while he's bummed to cause chaos as always. I won't spoil anything again, but I enjoyed this arc quite a bit. Eobard also totally-doesn't-look-like-Matt-Letscher in this. More Eobard mocking fun happens in this too.

Infinite Crisis
So, you screwed up the multi-verse? Well here's how to put it back together because now everything sucks. Superman shenanigans is also an accurate title for this too because his doppelgangers are always causing chaos. I don't what to say lol. I'm having fun reading everything which is a good thing.

I need more of Mister Miracle and his amazing wife Barda. That's the review bye.
In seriousness I liked reading this. A lot of wild shit happens, but that's comics for you.

Have you read Mister Miracle? That'll give you more than enough of Scott and Barda

May 24, 2019

ead2Pqe.jpg

edit: Read a bit of the original Kirby MM first, IMO. It'll give you some reference points.

Amazon.com: Mister Miracle by Jack Kirby (New Edition): 9781401277178: Kirby, Jack, Kirby, Jack: Books

Amazon.com: Mister Miracle by Jack Kirby (New Edition): 9781401277178: Kirby, Jack, Kirby, Jack: Books

The Darkseid War tie-in collection is also worth reading. It has one-shot issues covering each of the god powered JL's. Tom King's Green Lantern issue is especially good.

edit: Unless you read the omnibus. I guess they're in that.

Eleriu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have you read Mister Miracle? That'll give you more than enough of Scott and Barda
It's next on my to buy list.
ead2Pqe.jpg

edit: Read a bit of the original Kirby MM first, IMO. It'll give you some reference points.

The Darkseid War tie-in collection is also worth reading. It has one-shot issues covering each of the god powered JL's. Tom King's Green Lantern issue is especially good.
Noted thank you!

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i'm catching up on daredevil and i gotta say... this might be one of the worst wilson fisks ever drawn.

dghUY4k.png

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Batman by Paul Dini Omnibus coming but The Hush omnibus is still cancelled. Get it together DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.