• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the X-Men of the week. Both Wolverine #1 and Marauders #8 were great. Better than great. I loved 'em. I wish I had an omnibus already so I could just keep reading.

Wolverine did such a good job of making it clear how much of a good guy he is, but also how uncontrollably dangerous. Kind to his friends and a machine of death to his enemies. I didn't like the way the first story started. I don't like how often that happens in Hickman's X-Men period. But it was a very good after that. The second story was excellent too. Most especially Wolverine's interactions with him. They made him super imposing and nightmarish. Compared to the other villains who have been shown, Wolverine managed to make him look like a genuine villain still. I'm not so into the other bad guys in the second story, but it still developed well and hints at cool things happening in the future. All around well told, which is all I need.

Marauders #8 - Incredible issue. Plot didn't move along much but I am 100% okay with that. It just focused on everyone's reaction to the thing and all of those reactions were incredible. The Iceman scene, wowow, and the Emma + Storm scene was absolutely perfect. Between Hickman's Emma and Marauders Emma, she's by far my favorite character in the new runs.

New Mutants #7 - Funniest fucking X-Men issue I've read in a very long time. Incredibly paced despite the jumping around. And yet more great character work. Can ya'll believe Wolfsbane was murdered not so long ago? And now she's here licking orbs and being adorable? guh. I will admit I was expecting a conclusion with more impact, but it wasn't important. It ended well. The most disappointing thing is that we're not getting more of these characters immediately. I want more of them. I hope they're brought back together soon.

im so hype for the jean + emma giant size

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only up to chapter 68!

tenor.gif

That's her! Suika is best

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I'm rereading Harleen and it's so good. The sick feeling in my stomach while reading it is a testament to Sejic 😂. I feel so sorry for Harleen and it's horrible seeing the whole thing happen. But it's brilliantly told. There is nothing romantic about it which makes me laugh thinking about the people who gave him shit on twitter for romanticizing Harley and Jokers relationship.

Also you understand why it happens but it also doesn't excuse Harleen. It very much shows her as someone who turns into a psychopath. Early on she calls herself a murderer. I don't remember DC being that blunt before. Sejic said he wants to tell a story where you can understand why she fell for him, how it is bad for her and how it fell apart and what that does to her. But by no means is she a hero, she's fundamentally broken.

To me it's already one of Harleys classic stories (there aren't many tbh). I can't wait for more and this hardcover is the best way to read it
These are pretty much my exact thoughts. The last Harley before that I really liked was TAS but this put her in top ten DC characters for me. I tried the Conner stuff and really wanted to like it but nothing worked for me. I liked the Harley on Apokolips run though.
Bone is a classic. You should read it. It will not make you cry, except maybe from happiness.
Yes. I started reading it when I was like 10 and at the time it was my favorite comic. I didn't have enough money at the time to get more than an issue every few months so when I finally got the complete from the library when I was in my 20's it was so satisfying.
I really enjoyed Wolverine #1. Surprisingly so tbh. I was 2 distinct issues as they had said but I liked both stories. More so the second story. Both artists were good, I feel like this may be Kuberts best art in a while. Bogdonavics art reminds me of Greg Capullos art. Especially the Court of Owl's era art. I'll be interested in reading more and I'd love to see more of the Huntress-esque lady.

Don't usually enjoy Wolverine but here we are.
Fuck I guess I need this now. I told Kubert it was his best work on IG a few weeks back and I meant it. He liked it so I felt justified.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Reading session #2 of Bone finished. Over 300 pages in now. SO GOOD. I love it. I thought it the dichotomy between the bone creatures and the realistic humans was going to be weird, but it really isn't while you're reading it.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
That part was great. She was so happy when Senku put the glass lenses in her helmet.

The whole thing was so perfect and wholesome. Especially because it starts with him looking like an arsehole for pulling it off her head. But when she says just once she would like to see her friends without the fuzzyness 😭😭😭

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Reading session #2 of Bone finished. Over 300 pages in now. SO GOOD. I love it. I thought it the dichotomy between the bone creatures and the realistic humans was going to be weird, but it really isn't while you're reading it.
It felt so natural that after a few issues I didn't even think about it. Just a feel good series until the very end. I highly recommend the Rose prequel too.

I'm almost done with Aaron's Avengers vol. 2 and I have to say after the boring vol. 1, I love it. I am a huge Namor fan though and I love his relationship/rivalry with T'challa. Plus Irving art!

i just bought Wolverine 1 and it was a very expensive $7 on CMX so I hope it's worth it.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it the dichotomy between the bone creatures and the realistic humans was going to be weird, but it really isn't while you're reading it.
I think that issue was alleviated by the presence of other fantasy trappings like the rat creatures and whatnot.
The whole thing was so perfect and wholesome. Especially because it starts with him looking like an arsehole for pulling it off her head. But when she says just once she would like to see her friends without the fuzzyness 😭😭😭
Good guy Senku!

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Wolverine #1. Surprisingly so tbh. I was 2 distinct issues as they had said but I liked both stories. More so the second story. Both artists were good, I feel like this may be Kuberts best art in a while. Bogdonavics art reminds me of Greg Capullos art. Especially the Court of Owl's era art. I'll be interested in reading more and I'd love to see more of the Huntress-esque lady.

Don't usually enjoy Wolverine but here we are.
Percy is already an award winning Wolverine writer, so I expected good things.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Read through a couple of one-off (?) series.

Bad Luck Chuck had a very very good start. The lead character Charlene has been cursed at birth and is essentially an inverse of Domino's power set. Anywhere she goes, bad luck and destruction follows. She decides to monetise it and start a bad luck agency of sorts. Like I said, great first two issues but it goes completely off the rails for the last two issues. Weird pacing, character motivations and police cults and tibetan monks and an odd conclusion. One of those 'what could have been' series.

With Livewire though, I seem to have jumped in in the middle of a larger arc. Like most of my valiant reads. The Valiant universe is like a big damn jigsaw puzzle in my mind. At some point I'll have read a critical mass of trades to get a full picture. I enjoyed the series though and Avi seems cool.

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With Livewire though, I seem to have jumped in in the middle of a larger arc. Like most of my valiant reads. The Valiant universe is like a big damn jigsaw puzzle in my mind. At some point I'll have read a critical mass of trades to get a full picture. I enjoyed the series though and Avi seems cool.

Livewire is a semi-sequel to Secret Weapons, which was kind of a stealth Livewire book. One of the best in recent years from them, with top notch art (Raul Allen who also did Livewire I believe?). I haven't read it yet, though, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it even without context, because it's on my shortlist.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Livewire is a semi-sequel to Secret Weapons, which was kind of a stealth Livewire book. One of the best in recent years from them, with top notch art (Raul Allen who also did Livewire I believe?). I haven't read it yet, though, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it even without context, because it's on my shortlist.

Yep. Raul Allen on this one too. And some great work in there.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The Black Widow Journey into Mystery issues are pretty fun. Love that damn 90s art so much. Lobdell is really good when it comes to shorter contained stories.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Man look at everyone being happy with and excited for comics. This can't be right.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious why they're launching a new Spidey book in the middle of a climactic arc in ASM. Friendly Neighborhood was tonally different, so maybe it's meant to exist as a contrast to how dark the upcoming ASM stuff is. I hope it has the tone of the backup story in the last issue.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Aizō

Have you been reading this comic that is being posted on Twitter?

きくちゆうき (@yuukikikuchi) | Twitter

The latest Tweets from きくちゆうき (@yuukikikuchi). 漫画家/イラストレーター 「SUPERどうぶつーズ」「100日後に死ぬワニ」など。 インスタ:https://t.co/iYbNQfR0FT ☝️ LINEスタンプ:https://t.co/uK0FiVZMRS…👇 お仕事や問い合わせなどはhttps://t.co/tDz2Ot0Sqb

Someone posted the first few strips translated on imgur. It has been giving me existential agnst. -_-
That sounds like a painful time hahaha

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
what? and gail simone's tweet, right? i'm not sure how that isn't the correct context.
Everyone riffing on Taylor joking about Freelancers being paid the correct amount being a sexual fetish. The Gail Tweet prompted it and yeah, that stuff's a problem. But joking about Taylor's stuff is hardly objectifying lol

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone riffing on Taylor joking about Freelancers being paid the correct amount being a sexual fetish. The Gail Tweet prompted it and yeah, that stuff's a problem. But joking about Taylor's stuff is hardly objectifying lol
i replied to hipsterpants' comment specifically about gail, not tom's tweet, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.