• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You also forget

226.jpg
Yes

Yes

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that someone did something good with Kraven but undoing a character's definitive ending is still bad.

It doesn't help that Grim Hunt was Edge: The Comic.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Axel did more for Marvel than Dan with DC in s sad ironic way.
The truth is, both men had a positive and negative effect on their respective companies, and while we can point to specific decisions in either direction, we'll never truly know the full scope of their impact.

But I admit, I disliked some of the specific decisions that both made that we concretely know about.

I wanna see that Legion pitch.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
The truth is, both men had a positive and negative effect on their respective companies, and while we can point to specific decisions in either direction, we'll never truly know the full scope of their impact.
The thing is Axel approved characters who are now icons...and also approved the Inhumans are X-Men push.

But yeah, Didio is is odd one because I'm not sure who he approved of other than Jamie Reyes. Jessica Cruz?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is Axel approved characters who are now icons...and also approved the Inhumans are X-Men push.

But yeah, Didio is is odd one because I'm not sure who he approved of other than Jamie Reyes. Jessica Cruz?

Jaime, Jessica, New Super-Man, Jon Kent, the entire DC career of Tom King, Shazam Family, both black Bat-people (Signal and Batwing), Batwoman.

There may have been some issues in the handling, especially Batwoman, but they were under his tenure.

Snyder's Batman contributions alone are top-tier all time. Court of Owls has staying power.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Bendis Daredevil is such a crazy tonal shift for the book, I'm shocked Marvel even kept the issue numbering at the time.

That said, I also love how much lip service it pays to prior runs so far as well(well, only the Miller, and short Smith/Mack run at least so far). It feels and mostly looks so different its hard to even imagine this being in the same universe sometimes. Strong start with the early arcs I've dipped into though.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bendis Daredevil is such a crazy tonal shift for the book, I'm shocked Marvel even kept the issue numbering at the time.

That said, I also love how much lip service it pays to prior runs so far as well(well, only the Miller, and short Smith/Mack run at least so far). It feels and mostly looks so different its hard to even imagine this being in the same universe sometimes. Strong start with the early arcs I've dipped into though.
did you read daredevil issue from miller on, No Depth?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Yea it was nuts. The art alone really brought home going from the 90s style comics to the dark and gritty tone of the 2000s after Ultimates. And I guess it never lets up again until the Mark Waid run.

I really want to go back and check out the Nocentti stuff especially. Then Joe Kelly did a shortrun while also starting his Deadpool series, which I'm curious about. But man will it be hard going back after lol.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Yea it was nuts. The art alone really brought home going from the 90s style comics to the dark and gritty tone of the 2000s after Ultimates. And I guess it never lets up again until the Mark Waid run.

I really want to go back and check out the Nocentti stuff especially. Then Joe Kelly did a shortrun while also starting his Deadpool series, which I'm curious about. But man will it be hard going back after lol.

Yea I'm curious myself, but it's a lot to add to a read list.

Did you start vol 2 of Bendis yet?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Been wanting this. Is it sold out already or is it just early releases being sold for a markup.
It's not out yet. Toyfair is running from today until Tuesday.

Should be out next month. BBTS is taking pre-orders.

www.bigbadtoystore.com

Ultimate Marvel Legends The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

BigBadToyStore has a massive selection of toys (like action figures, statues, and collectibles) from Marvel, DC Comics, Transformers, Star Wars, Movies, TV Shows, and More

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like Didio had a ton of bad shit accredited to him.
Whether its all his fault we will probably never know, I just hope things don't get worse with him gone.
I feel DC is not in a great place at the moment, but things could always be worse.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I'm curious myself, but it's a lot to add to a read list.

Did you start vol 2 of Bendis yet?
I'm on like the 2nd to last arc in vol 1. Just got vol 2 in the mail today.

I think Nocenti created Typhoid Mary. But yea it's a lot to go through, and I want to start Brubaker's run next.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Sejic is becoming Shonen Jumps. Sejic continues to cater exactly to my desires.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this is cool. Asano using Unreal engine to lay out his backgrounds.

www.unrealengine.com

Manga artist Inio Asano creates real-time backdrops in Unreal Engine

Manga artist Inio Asano uses an innovative technique that harnesses the power of real-time technology to develop backgrounds for his artwork.

Don't blur out the background! show us the shelveses.

Asano is too powerful for us.

I am fine with it if it includes futanari demon comics.

He listed Fine Print

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I find the lack of forward movement in comics to be the biggest issue. Things change (often for the better - Superior Spiderman) and then it's like the writers or editors or Didios feel they need to put things back the way they were (Oh Hi Doc Oc). I loved that time Lex Luthor joined the Justice League. He was still a prick but he actually fitted in well there. Or Doom becoming a hero (bit of a theme here). All those stories worked really well but instead of letting them stay and creating some new threats for the heroes to face inevitably everything gets reset back to default and nothing changes.

So I was quite looking forward to 5g. New characters taking on old roles? Sign me up. Of course I had no confidence that DC could pull it off. They've been struggling to find a direction for a very long time now.

How the hell does a tiny little comic like 2000ad make Judge Dredd in 2020 feel as fresh as his very first story back in the 70s *and* do it all without a single reboot and the massive powerhouse that is DC has been struggling with an identity crisis (lol) for decades.

Nothing sticks. Nothing lasts. It makes everything feel throwaway and pointless. I don't want my super heroes to feel pointless.
I think the thing is that the Big Two aren't like other companies because they're IPs that are constantly being worked on by multiple people. It's a lot more fluid and less permanent. To be honest, that's what I find appealing about it. "Follow the creators, not the characters," has been my ideal for awhile now except for a select few properties because I'm just like that. People testing their ideas on characters, though those characters still have their own identities. Sometimes stuff does stick, but then sometimes it doesn't. Carol Danvers is still Captain Marvel. We'll see how long Thor stays King of Asgard this time. While Ock as Spider-Man wasn't gonna happen because I don't believe it was Slott's plan for that, and Lex being Superman was never gonna be for long because it's really not his character. He's always been power hungry and that's just the next thing he finds his "meaning" in. Same with Perpetua.

Returning Doom to a villain? Yeah that sucked, but like I said some stuff sticks and some doesn't. Some makes sense and some doesn't. Honestly it's like life. Sometimes people fuck up and backtrack. But think about it: How many Robins are on their own now? Harley's fully emancipated from Joker now, and she's much closer to hero than she ever was before. We have stuff that has stuck, though small. It's happened over the years and I know it's not necessarily as satisfactory as what you're saying, but it's there.

Baby steps are steps at least
She's never done Wonder Woman... in G1!
Oh baby!

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell does a tiny little comic like 2000ad make Judge Dredd in 2020 feel as fresh as his very first story back in the 70s *and* do it all without a single reboot and the massive powerhouse that is DC has been struggling with an identity crisis (lol) for decades.

It works BECAUSE 2000AD is a "tiny little comic" (never forget that Rebellion ended up buying the whole thing because it worked out cheaper for them than only licensing Dredd for the Dredd vs. Death game). It has way fewer masters to serve. The person at Rebellion whose actual job description is approving the lunchbox designs or some shit is not going to stick their oar in and demand Dredd and Anderson bang because it'll play great with a new demo they want to reach.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Damn this is cool. Asano using Unreal engine to lay out his backgrounds.

www.unrealengine.com

Manga artist Inio Asano creates real-time backdrops in Unreal Engine

Manga artist Inio Asano uses an innovative technique that harnesses the power of real-time technology to develop backgrounds for his artwork.

Don't blur out the background! show us the shelveses.
I didn't know Asano changed his method from the photography style he used to do. That way is also super cool. Fascinating.

May 24, 2019
"Oh so it's cool when the Japanese do it?!" - Mike Deodato Jr and Mikel Janin simultaniously (edit: and the guys who make the ugly CG Grant Morrison Batman comics)

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Volume 1 of Doomsday Clock started it off super strong but it really tapered off 3ish issues in. I'm still gonna get volume 2 since I wanna know how all of this ends up playing out but storywise it seems like it's spinning its wheels.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Back when there were only, like, 3 volumes of DDDDDDDD I said that it was super happy but now it's almost all sadness. Asano tricked me.

ly8madMl.jpg

[edit]

lzWgrOM.png

IT WENT SOUR

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Back when there were only, like, 3 volumes of DDDDDDDD I said that it was super happy but now it's almost all sadness. Asano tricked me.

ly8madMl.jpg

[edit]

lzWgrOM.png

IT WENT SOUR

He's working on a page in that video that can't end well lol.

I can't deal with the stress and pressure of the end of the last volume.

Don't hurt Kadode you fuck.

Also I thought vol 3 was super sad. That's the volume with the tragedy right :(

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
It's time to accept that Asano will always hurt us with his incredible works. They start off happy and cutesy and then turn real sour lol. I love him.

I can't read the last volume and a half of Pun Pun. I'm terrified of what will happen to Aiko. Poor Sachi too.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

there's also some sort of HoX/PoX style event coming after a Ranger Slayer one shot. Not sure what that even means, but I'll read it.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Invisible Kingdom v1 was pretty decent! An interesting set up for the universe and I liked the twist at the end of v1. But I am not really sure where they could take it from here? In for v2 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.