• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which writer do you prefer?

• James Tynion IV (Punchline creator, Batman, Detective Comics)

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Donny Cates (Buzzkill, Responsible for the recent influx of Venom and Carnage)

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Scott Snyder (Wikipedia, Dark Knights Death Metal, American Vampire)

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Jonathan Hickman (Charts, Orgy Island, Saved X-Men? East of West)

Votes: 72 63.2%
  • Tom Taylor (Batman, Vision, Sheriff of Babylon)

Votes: 14 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
So the only way to read the X of Swords story is to jump between books? There's no "main" book?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So the only way to read the X of Swords story is to jump between books? There's no "main" book?
You might be able to get away with reading the 4 actual X of Swords issues. Like X of Swords: Stasis #1, Destruction #1, and whatever the other were. But your still going to be missing the events that lead to each of those issues, besides the one that started the event. But, no, this crossover didnt have a main book besides those 4 issues. The only thing your going to get out of reading those 4 without the rest is seeing the big set pieces and how the event ended/where things are left off.

Im probably going to skip this HC. Dont see myself really caring to read this event again. They just kinda killed it for me when they got to the actual tournament stuff and made it silly for no reason. The first 10 or so issues were great, and the last 2 were awesome. But that back 3rd was not great.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I kinda have to read it otherwise Hickman's run won't make sense. Like how Venom became completely different over on that Carnage run.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i love y'all and the digital vs. physical meme is all fun and games but can we not make fun of people for how they spend money/how much they spend. no one should be made to feel guilty for buying books they want, especially when there's likely a number of folk who may have spent a lot for them just so they could talk comics here and feel like part of the community.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
No one makes fun of people for buying physical comics, in a degrading way, that isnt already part of the community and knows the jokes. Like if a newcomer comes in and talks about buying physical, they might get introduced to the joke, but never ridiculed.

I feel like I kinda have to read it otherwise Hickman's run won't make sense. Like how Venom became completely different over on that Carnage run.
For sure, its worth reading once through to see what happened. Just dont see myself reading it again.

May 24, 2019
i love y'all and the digital vs. physical meme is all fun and games but can we not make fun of people for how they spend money/how much they spend. no one should be made to feel guilty for buying books they want, especially when there's likely a number of folk who may have spent a lot for them just so they could talk comics here and feel like part of the community.

Most of this thread bought the event in singles. We're making fun of ourselves.

It's like buying all the PS5/XSX games a week or two before black friday sales. Instead of hating ourselves we laugh!

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Me and the homies buying physical comics

ir7Fijm.gif

Geeks downloading 0s and 1s, not even killing trees
7JqADHX.jpg

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Aizō

How come you didn't read Simon Dark during Halloween? AKA DC's sexy corpse superhero that time forgot.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh? I'm not familiar. Recommend me a book, and I'll probably check it out.
I actually can't recommend it since I read it back in 2007 but I remember loving the art, his design and liking the creepy tone. The writing and story might be total shit, I honestly don't recall.

dc.fandom.com

Simon Dark (New Earth)

Simon Dark is a Gotham Village vigilante who was created using mad science, dark magic and the body parts of about twenty teenage boys. Simon Dark is a mysterious vigilante operating out of the Village in Gotham City. He seems to have been created from a number of dead bodies and, as such, has...

He just got 12 issues and then was never see again.

shGZtfE.jpg

He was very Crow-ish.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I actually can't recommend it since I read it back in 2007 but I remember loving the art, his design and liking the creepy tone. The writing and story might be total shit, I honestly don't recall.

dc.fandom.com

Simon Dark (New Earth)

Simon Dark is a Gotham Village vigilante who was created using mad science, dark magic and the body parts of about twenty teenage boys. Simon Dark is a mysterious vigilante operating out of the Village in Gotham City. He seems to have been created from a number of dead bodies and, as such, has...

He just got 12 issues and then was never see again.

shGZtfE.jpg

He was very Crow-ish.
I'll see if the library has it.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Another comic I've literally never seen anyone else bring up is this:

A6g5Pb7.jpg

It's not horror but it's unsettling, I liked that one a good bit.

May 24, 2019
Most of those kind of things never get reprinted or even put on CMX.
The Milligan Vert comic getting a new edition was a surprise.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
The themes of classism and social stratification in Black Clover are top tier. But Asta still comes from that Goku mold of shonen heroes, even if he is my favorite one.

Also, the latest stuff in the manga is incredible if you need motivation to try it.
I believe it. If I ever get around to it, maybe. For now I'm good with waiting on anime episodes. Even if it is just filler, it's entertaining.
God, I'd rather Bendis tbh
Really? I know his Flash is divisive, but Batman/Superman is quite good and I thought his Death Metal Justice League tie-in was pretty good as well. Didn't read his time on Justice League Odyssey. I loved his Illuminati back at Marvel. He does ensembles pretty well and he nabs the feel of a superhero action book very well.
This is fair. Also, we spend a lot of time making fun of ourselves for how much money we spend.

Secondly: can you repost the Comics of the Year voting link, or did you and I missed it?

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, I'm over halfway through season 5 of Steven Universe, and overall so far I'd say it's a solid show (season 1 is still the best season by far), but I legitimately cannot stand these episodes focused around the citizens of Beach City. Like my god these characters suck and they just. Keep. Doing this. Do some dope plot and/or world building and then like 2-4 episodes straight of just "hey here's fucking Renaldo's conspiracies/Sadie's drama/Cool Kids being...whatever/someone else doing some dumb shit"

Like goddamn stop it you're useless and I don't like you. They just had to make Lars as relevant as he is.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
The real fool here is me, who's gonna double dip on the series. Digital AND physical, what an idiot

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
The real fool here is me, who's gonna double dip on the series. Digital AND physical, what an idiot
Why don't you get the collected edition in physical AND digital formats? If you want to read it again digitally, you don't want to have to download each individual issue again, do you?

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the end we were all clowns for spending money on comics.

And I see that Era added a word counter. I don't need to know how many words my posts are thanks.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Also why are my posts now telling me exactly how many words I typed? Is this some new method of weeding out the shitposters? Do we have minimum mandatory word counts on posts now? If I keep typing, the number of words keeps going up. Isn't that interesting? I'm at over fifty words now. The number just keeps going up, up, up. Now we're over 60. Poodlestrike what nefarious thing is this that you have done? I blame you entirely. Okay, I'm going to stop now just as soon as I hit one-hundred words. In. This. Very. Post.

Done.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Also why are my posts now telling me exactly how many words I typed? Is this some new method of weeding out the shitposters? Do we have minimum mandatory word counts on posts now? If I keep typing, the number of words keeps going up. Isn't that interesting? I'm at over fifty words now. The number just keeps going up, up, up. Now we're over 60. Poodlestrike what nefarious thing is this that you have done? I blame you entirely. Okay, I'm going to stop now just as soon as I hit one-hundred words. In. This. Very. Post.

Done.
You all right?

spiderferi

Apr 15, 2018
Tehran, Iran
So what are some recent(post DCAU) good animated series in DC? I've recently watched Harley Quinn's first season and I liked it a lot to my surprise. What are the other things I should watch? I am also a big fan of Young Justice.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So what are some recent(post DCAU) good animated series in DC? I've recently watched Harley Quinn's first season and I liked it a lot to my surprise. What are the other things I should watch? I am also a big fan of Young Justice.
Harley Quinn
Young Justice
Green Lantern The Animated Series
Teen Titans Go!
Batman The Brave and The Bold (I haven't watched it all, but what I did was pretty good and I have a friend who swears by it)
The Batman (I'll stand by at least the first like 2 or 3 seasons)
Teen Titans (not recent but technically not DCAU so I'm including it anyways)

Supposedly Justice League Action is pretty fire, too

Last edited:

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Happy birthday, Mars People! I know you may feel a bit like a stranger on our planet, but we like you. Thank you for invading our thread! I hope you find a little way to celebrate. Treat yourself to a nice meal at least!

Status
Not open for further replies.