• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which writer do you prefer?

• James Tynion IV (Punchline creator, Batman, Detective Comics)

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Donny Cates (Buzzkill, Responsible for the recent influx of Venom and Carnage)

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Scott Snyder (Wikipedia, Dark Knights Death Metal, American Vampire)

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Jonathan Hickman (Charts, Orgy Island, Saved X-Men? East of West)

Votes: 72 63.2%
  • Tom Taylor (Batman, Vision, Sheriff of Babylon)

Votes: 14 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I actually like the villains and the wider hero cast of MHA far more than the Big 3 protagonists.
For example I find Todoroki's dad way more interesting a character than Todoroki himself.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Todoroki might be my favorite character in that series but he doesn't get nearly enough attention.

Black Clover does a ton of things better than MHA, to be honest. Overall I enjoy it a lot more. Again I haven't read the manga, only watching the anime (a bummer because now it's just timeskip filler, because somehow it's still not seasonal!).

It's not seasonal because it wasn't intended to be at the same level as MHA. And MHA's problem is there are too many characters. Black Clover very intentionally takes it's time to ramp up and introduce new characters after developing existing ones. But I prefer Deku to Asta because I'm tired of the lead protagonist being a "well-meaning stupid kid".

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Todoroki might be my favorite character in that series but he doesn't get nearly enough attention.

It's not seasonal because it wasn't intended to be at the same level as MHA. And MHA's problem is there are too many characters. Black Clover very intentionally takes it's time to ramp up and introduce new characters after developing existing ones. But I prefer Deku to Asta because I'm tired of the lead protagonist being a "well-meaning stupid kid".

Shoto is getting the spotlight now tho.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I find the main cast of MHA just... super boring. They all feel so "stock shonen" - like the best chapters are always when you have the whole class hanging out and bouncing off each other.

I have that problem with most shonen though, the closer you are to the "inner circle" of characters the less interested I am in reading about you. I'd say it's because I'm not in the demographic, but even when I was a kid/early teen watching Toonami I was like, fuck Naruto and Sasuke, just give me Rock Lee and the bug guy.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

That's a fair criticism. I felt the same way up until the award commendations dinner right before the riot and after the first dungeon mission early on in the series when he tears into all the nobles there and goes on about how bullshit the classism is. It was at that point that I'm like "Asta is something special."

wat

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
That's a fair criticism. I felt the same way up until the award commendations dinner right before the riot and after the first dungeon mission early on in the series when he tears into all the nobles there and goes on about how bullshit the classism is. It was at that point that I'm like "Asta is something special."

wat

The themes of classism and social stratification in Black Clover are top tier. But Asta still comes from that Goku mold of shonen heroes, even if he is my favorite one.

Also, the latest stuff in the manga is incredible if you need motivation to try it.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
weird, the Zur en Arrh skin must have been part of whatever version of the game I got when I bought it on sale a few years back, because I definitely played through the whole game as Zur en Arrh Batman
It says "all Batman: Arkham Knight players" So I assume it was DLC or preorder bonus beforehand

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
weird, the Zur en Arrh skin must have been part of whatever version of the game I got when I bought it on sale a few years back, because I definitely played through the whole game as Zur en Arrh Batman

I think it was originally one of those skins they were giving away via people linking accounts to that stupid WB app they had for a while.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It says "all Batman: Arkham Knight players" So I assume it was DLC or preorder bonus beforehand
Yeah those aren't new.

must have been DLC, because I got the digital version that had all the season pass stuff bundled in

I think Arkham Origins is the only I've played as default Batman, iirc that's the only one that locks you out of suit changes until after you beat the game

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The Deadly Class Deluxe Editions are going for daylight robbery prices on ebay at the moment.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Is there really any tactical reason to attach giant saw blades to your battle bot?

X5B7oE5.jpg

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017

Watching Robson Rocha getting since the beginning of Rebirth has been interesting. I was meh on his GL work but that all changed with a new colorist. Dudes been putting in work on Aquaman.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

Watching Robson Rocha getting since the beginning ofRebirth has been interesting. I was meh on his GL work but that all changed with a new colorist. Dudes been putting in work on Aquaman.

Bad coloring can destroy the best art. I've seen some terrible coloring and original art that is much better and the bad coloring destroys the detail. Then the artist gets blamed.

Janin with colorists that aren't Jordie Bellaire for example

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Bad coloring can destroy the best art. I've seen some terrible coloring and original art that is much better and the bad coloring destroys the detail. Then the artist gets blamed.

There's nothing sadder than amazing penciling getting dunked on by poor inking and coloring. There has been some comics that I think have really subpar art but then I see just the inks or somethings even just the penciling and I'd rather just have that over the finished product.

Seven to Eternity comes to mind.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017

I liked June Chung's colors on Janin but they made Janin's work look plastic, plus that dreaded pipe scene.

While were on the topic, I just don't care for Gabe Eltaeb's colors also. It's make every character look so flat and boring. He's really holding back John Timms expressive work.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
mKKlwYm.png

Started volume 2 earlier, so far have only read the first issue.

Could this run be any better? I love literally everything about this, I really hope this becomes the new status quo for the X-Men. What Hickman created here is fantastic and I'd really hate to see it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.