• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which writer do you prefer?

• James Tynion IV (Punchline creator, Batman, Detective Comics)

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Donny Cates (Buzzkill, Responsible for the recent influx of Venom and Carnage)

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Scott Snyder (Wikipedia, Dark Knights Death Metal, American Vampire)

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Jonathan Hickman (Charts, Orgy Island, Saved X-Men? East of West)

Votes: 72 63.2%
  • Tom Taylor (Batman, Vision, Sheriff of Babylon)

Votes: 14 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Goddamn, Donny Cates' Venom book is awesome. I'm a believer now.
But also I'll miss OG Kraven, his friendship with Squirrel Girl was so good
Oh? Kraven and Squirrel Girl? Huh, was not aware they had any sort of friendship like that. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Thanos Wins is pretty much required reading for Cosmic Ghost Rider, since it's where his origin is explored, and the CGR mini is pretty much part 2 of it.

Death of the Inhumans is absolutely not worth it, all you need to know is Beta Ray Bill and Lockjaw are friends. That's it. Skip skip skip.
Ooh, definitely gonna be happy to check out Thanos Wins then.

Good to know about Death of Inhumans, lmao. Beta Ray Bill and Lockjaw beings friends though, that's some wholesome shit. <3
haha yeah, there have been a lot of gotg books ever since Bendis left!! Duggan's run is All-New, and then goes into Infinity Countdown which is also fun, and ends in Infinity Wars (not that fun). At the beginning it looks like Movie Sinergy The Bookᵀᴹ, but it quickly deviates into its own absurd and crazy thing. Very different run.
I strongly dislike it when Marvel or DC do that "move synergy" stuff so I'm really glad to hear that, lol.
MOD EDIT: Removed prohibited content.
Heyo, magazine scans are prohibited so please don't share tweets with them. I've gone ahead and removed it for now, but please refrain from sharing any more in the future.
there's a really nice flash issue in cates' venom run
👀 I am very much looking forward to that!

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, Donny Cates' Venom book is awesome. I'm a believer now.

Oh? Kraven and Squirrel Girl? Huh, was not aware they had any sort of friendship like that. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Ooh, definitely gonna be happy to check out Thanos Wins then.

Good to know about Death of Inhumans, lmao. Beta Ray Bill and Lockjaw beings friends though, that's some wholesome shit. <3

I strongly dislike it when Marvel or DC do that "move synergy" stuff so I'm really glad to hear that, lol.

Heyo, magazine scans are prohibited so please don't share tweets with them. I've gone ahead and removed it for now, but please refrain from sharing any more in the future.

👀 I am very much looking forward to that!

But... That was a picture of the magazine... Not a scan 😐

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
What's with the few random pages of bad art in this weeks Batman? It doesn't even try to match the style of the rest of the issue.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
What's with the few random pages of bad art in this weeks Batman? It doesn't even try to match the style of the rest of the issue.

Bengal was okay even if his art doesn't fit in.

Marches art was fine if unimpressive.

Benjamins art in the Arkham stuff with Harley was real rough. Looked like a bad Guillem impression

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Daredevil #25: Goddamn I love this series. Everything is excellent here, Elektra is written well, and so is Matt. I love Matt choosing to suffer the consequences and how Elektra is trying to making up for him, and the prophecy, while the concept is cliche, has some promising hints with the "only one will survive" thing , and more partnership between matt and elektra. The art is amazing too.

Hellions #7: Oh no wildchild's hot. Sinister remains amazing. And huh, psylocke's a mom? Is that from fallen angels or something? Sure explains why she's being so nice to sinister though . I also like the concept that dying in arakko makes mutants stronger, and Nanny throwing punches is hilarious. Wild . There's more potential stresses within the team now, it's going to go out in such a blaze of glory. Artist/writer/editor seems to have made a mistake with Jean remaining on the council though. Either her or storm shouldn't be there

X-factor #5: I feel like this book is really hitting its stride by diving deeper into the resurrections and the interactions within the team. Loved the little moment with Emma too, poor rockslide. The email is indeed concerning (and quite well-written too), who or what might it refer to? Who's in an abusive relationship within the team? . Also, what an ending

So it's actually good? wow surprise of the year
Did you think it would be played straight before?

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Significantly less interested without the fighting, I'll be honest lol. The lesbian subtext is great and watching them delve into Takarazuka is awesome, but I got into it because I like magical girls like Nanoha/Symphogear.
That's fair. I think the action scenes in Revue are really great and a pretty vital part of it, so I get you.
I've had my eye on it since an anime was announced a couple months back. Good to know you like it

Ahhh okay that tracks. The Donny Cates one is also pretty fun, but it got cut super short so a lot of the plot points it was setting up never got resolved, which is a shame because they looked pretty interesting.

Silver Surfer Black is an excellent mini that spins off of issue 1 too, so check that one out as well.

Regarding Infinity Wars, it wasn't terribly bad, but it was just a weird event and not terribly exciting. It came at the end of Gerry Duggan's GOTG run, which had been great fun up until that point. I recommend the run as a whole either way, but you don't need to read it to understand the rest.
Infinity Wars did create Infinity Warps and Secret Warps, both of which are a lot of alt-universe fun, especially the second. Again, you can just jump in to those if you want
Yeah I think you'd enjoy it. I forgot an anime is coming. So hopefully we can start getting localizations of the future manga volumes at an appropriate speed to capitalize on it.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Did you think it would be played straight before?

A little bit yeah lol

The whole premises sounds pretty dumb in 2020 but I'm glad they apparently touch on that in the book. Makes me actually want to read it now. If their team slogan is "Better Together" I'll end myself.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
How does this treasure of a man manage to steal every scene he is in?
IR99KM6.jpeg

Last edited:

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
yeah, in Squirrel Girl's book. It's great. He's got a Kra-Van! The whole series is delightful

That's fair. I think the action scenes in Revue are really great and a pretty vital part of it, so I get you.

Yeah I think you'd enjoy it. I forgot an anime is coming. So hopefully we can start getting localizations of the future manga volumes at an appropriate speed to capitalize on it.
That would be nice. Can't wait to check it out someday

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Bengal did some art for this week's Batman? Weird, but neat if so. But yea, his art is not what I would think of to fit in with the current Batman artists lol.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Daredevil #25 is great.

I love Checcetto's Elektra with her big, wild hair.

ont1tg0ywnw51.png

New costume is cool, too. I like what Zdarsky's doing here and calling Matt out on his martyr complex.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Have DC actually confirmed there is going to be a Steph and Cass Batgirls book?
Hints keep getting dropped left and right.

Also random question but is there a quicker way of doing the blacked out spoiler tags?
Other than writing [cross ] [/ cross] round it?

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Thor #10: Lmao BRB getting his ass kicked so soon. Then the entire asgard jobbing, whew. And isn't BRB's true form the horse, and the more human like form given to him by Odin? This is weird . I'm not opposed to Blake being a separate character (although I much prefer him just being an alias of thor and being mad at asgard/odin but this arc is kinda losing me with this issue. I wanted something more...subtle I guess. Still sticking with it to see how it ends though

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Reading King in Black and then you get hit with the X-Men page and oh god everything is wrong what the fuck. Did nobody talk to either Cates or Stegman about this?? No editors, nobody???

Like besides the X-men being a thing, which directly contradicts the last x-men issue, what the genuine goddamn FUCK is old cable doing there. He's been dead for like 2 years already

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Err, right. Used the wrong words there, my bad. Magazine scans and/or pictures of magazine pages, etc.* Unless it's official photos and the like, in which case, those are cool.
I lost interest after a couple arcs. It definitely starts strong, but I couldn't bring myself to care about the plot once Absolute Carnage was over.
Oof, that's unfortunate. Hope I'll still be able to enjoy it after Absolute Carnage. Are the arcs after it still focused on Knull and the symbiotes? Or is it more general "Lethal Protector" stuff?
yeah, in Squirrel Girl's book. It's great. He's got a Kra-Van! The whole series is delightful
... "Kra-Van" sounds fucking adorable. I may have to look that up now, lol.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

ERA requires a ton of lying, basically. Magazine scans are where people pull a TON of info from lol.

Have DC actually confirmed there is going to be a Steph and Cass Batgirls book?
Hints keep getting dropped left and right.

Also random question but is there a quicker way of doing the blacked out spoiler tags?
Other than writing [cross ] [/ cross] round it?

You can always use this., which just requires you clicking the spoiler tag and putting "i" in front of both.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I'm not touching KiB even though I have been following Venom

I'll just absorb the event information by diffusion

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
You know, I continue to be surprised that people have suckered themselves into getting their hopes up that Cates and Ahmed using elements of the Ultimate Universe somehow translates to the Ultimate Comics getting some type of full-on revival. That dream is dead fam. Just like how you we're never going to get some second coming of the 2099 comics despite Marvel taken a sudden interest in Miguel every couple of years lol

Hell, we've even seen how quick Marvel was to ditch Spider-Gwen's earth when the opportunity presented itself.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I spoke Japanese with someone for the first time in like a couple months just now. I need to leave this fucking country.
Are the arcs after it still focused on Knull and the symbiotes? Or is it more general "Lethal Protector" stuff?
I only read one more arc after AC, and it was still that.
I'll just absorb the event information by diffusion
Me, too. Maaaybe I'll read it on unlimited. Maybe.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
You know, I continue to be surprised that people have suckered themselves into getting their hopes up that Cates and Ahmed using elements of the Ultimate Universe somehow translates to the Ultimate Comics getting some type of full-on revival. That dream is dead fam. Just like how you we're never going to get some second coming of the 2099 comics despite Marvel taken a sudden interest in Miguel every couple of years lol

Hell, we've even seen how quick Marvel was to ditch Spider-Gwen's earth when the opportunity presented itself.

2099 almost came back at one point. And tbh you could easily get a 2099 comeback. An Ultimate comeback wouldn't make sense--it existed to bring in new fans. Making a new Ultimate would make more sense.

Damn thanks How do you guys find this forbidden knowledge?

By quoting people to see the code lol. I kept wondering how people were doing that spoiler type since it's obviously better than the normal spoiler tag.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
2099 was literally rebooted last year lol. Don't know when or if we'll see it again.

Reading King in Black and then you get hit with the X-Men page and oh god everything is wrong what the fuck. Did nobody talk to either Cates or Stegman about this?? No editors, nobody???

Like besides the X-men being a thing, which directly contradicts the last x-men issue, what the genuine goddamn FUCK is old cable doing there. He's been dead for like 2 years already

Cates is planting the seeds for his insurgent take over of the X-Men line.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
You know I think I might wait on King in Black until the event is over.
Not entirely convinced this one will be quality.

I'm probably going to get the Union instead. Which is a King in Black tie in...oh well.

By quoting people to see the code lol. I kept wondering how people were doing that spoiler type since it's obviously better than the normal spoiler tag.
Lol that's how I found out about the [cross ] thing.
Its kind of fascinating how this knowledge travels when you think about it.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
It'll find the same audience Maestro and PAD's Symbiote Spider-Man did. People who just want a fun superhero story that isn't trying to reinvent the wheel.
Which is fine, I'm down for that type of story, and a story with deep cuts such as this no less, but nothing about this story has me caring about this conflict. Like there's a lot about this that doesn't hit me the way I expect an event-style story to hit me. It feels like the start of a story arc for a Lanning and Marz run on Justice League, not the beginning of an event. Does that make more sense?
Black Widow is immaculate.

Before I was like "Yeah, this is really good." I have firmly moved that to "This is the best book marvel is putting out that's not Hulk"
It's also probably Thompson's best work so far.
Oh God Fallen Angels is now relevant.
I thought the same thing. Didn't realize THAT'S what came of all of it.
The idea of
resurrecting from Arrako putting you in peak performance mode
is amazing. I anxiously await it being underused and only applied to Z-listers.
Yeah but there's definitely a hardcore side effect, too.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't read Fallen Angels. Can somebody fill me in on what actually happened there?
At least if it seemed important.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a heathen because Black Widow #4 didn't land for me, the pacing of the flashback was off. Of course now I have to see what happens in #5 though lol. Thompson pulling no punches.

I didn't read Fallen Angels. Can somebody fill me in on what actually happened there?
At least if it seemed important.

Apoth was like a techno God... thing spreading some kind of drug that ended up killing Kwannon's daughter. During the lockdown because Xavier got killed (so really, it's his fault) she worked with Sinister to get off the island and check it out, presumably in exchange for getting him the tech.

That's from reading issue #1 and assuming what happened next.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Which is fine, I'm down for that type of story, and a story with deep cuts such as this no less, but nothing about this story has me caring about this conflict. Like there's a lot about this that doesn't hit me the way I expect an event-style story to hit me. It feels like the start of a story arc for a Lanning and Marz run on Justice League, not the beginning of an event. Does that make more sense?

Sure I understand where you're coming from. Obviously I can't make anyone like anything, I'm just saying it's nice to have a big event storyline that's just fun. Like Justice League vs. Suicide Squad. That was a story that didn't go much of anywhere, it just existed. I miss when we had events like that, even if this lacks the high concepts of the 90s. I just enjoy DC having a storyline with the Justice League where we aren't redefining the canon for the 30th time.

I kinda wish we could've gotten something like the old 90's storylines where they had a theme month and we just got a bunch of annuals for December around that theme.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a heathen because Black Widow #4 didn't land for me, the pacing of the flashback was off. Of course now I have to see what happens in #5 though lol. Thompson pulling no punches.

Apoth was like a techno God... thing spreading some kind of drug that ended up killing Kwannon's daughter. During the lockdown because Xavier got killed (so really, it's his fault) she worked with Sinister to get off the island and check it out, presumably in exchange for getting him the tech.

That's from reading issue #1 and assuming what happened next.
Ok got it thanks. I guess that explains how Sinister has her daughter stored as some kind of genetic machine code. I assume she hopes he will bring her back somehow if she goes along with his bullshit.
But knowig Sinister he will fuck her over somehow.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
eb5bmyk7lr261.jpg

Fucking majestic art I'm speechless.
Yea, I freaking LOVE it!

I really liked Matt's new DD suit design though too. Probably my all time favorite suit. But having Elektra take over as DD for Matt is such an awesome idea.

I really need to read it but ive been trying to wait for the damn OHCs lol.

Yeah it's Spoiler pages so it kinda fits
Oh what, thats awesome! I wonder if he might be doing a Batgirls book after Future State then. Now that hes done with Death or Glory he is free for something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.