• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which writer do you prefer?

• James Tynion IV (Punchline creator, Batman, Detective Comics)

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Donny Cates (Buzzkill, Responsible for the recent influx of Venom and Carnage)

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Scott Snyder (Wikipedia, Dark Knights Death Metal, American Vampire)

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Jonathan Hickman (Charts, Orgy Island, Saved X-Men? East of West)

Votes: 72 63.2%
  • Tom Taylor (Batman, Vision, Sheriff of Babylon)

Votes: 14 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I still dont see how they make Snowpiercer a compelling tv show after watching the premier. I wanted to check it out after seeing the Season 2 trailer randomly yesterday and thought it looked much better than what I imagined the show would look like. But I still dont see it lasting if they never get off the train. From the Season 2 trailer it looks like theres 2 trains now though lol. And Sean Bean is in it.

It worked in the movie because it was only what like 2 hours tops. By the time you start to think about how dumb it would be IRL the movie is over.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Justice League: Endless Winter was a lot of fun. Felt like an 80s/90s superhero event, before everything had to destroy a character forever.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Batman/Catwoman #1 was good! Huh is Helena gay or bi I wonder? I think King is lowkey one of the best Joker writers. His Joker pretty consistently manages to get a laugh out of me, which to me is a sign of a good Joker. Mann is definitely a good fit for this book.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
9ll2TA2.jpg

Golden Age comics are fucking wild, man. Like I assumed this would be a Sub-Mariner gets mind controlled and fights the Torch story, but no, he straight up declares war on the planet. 60 pages, too, with cameos from like every other Marvel character at the time. This is like Secret Wars of the 40s or something.

In this one Sub-Mariner:

- Floods the entire continent of Africa, from Morocco to Cape Town, with a giant tsunami
- Makes the Human Torch send glaciers through Russia, likely killing thousands
- Carves a river from Italy to Berlin deep and wide enough for a fleet of whale-themed subs
- Invades Germany with said subs, plus an army of giant octopi
- Conquers Gibraltar, then inadvertently knocks it over, blocking and draining the Mediterranean
- Wipes the city of New York off the map purely out of spite

And at the end he gets off with a warning like he wasn't totally complicit in all that, his fish girlfriend gets 100% of the blame. Like I thought event books today dialed the destruction up to ridiculous levels. This is apocalypse level shit, and it's all seemingly fixed by the next issue.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Top Comic Runs 40-37

Today's Update:

40. Matt Fraction and David Aja's Hawkeye – 339 points (2 first place votes)

39. Kurt Busiek and George Perez's Avengers – 349 points (4 first place votes)

38. Chris Claremont and Dave Cockrum's X-Men -353 points (2 first place votes)

37. Joss Whedon and John Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men – 360 points (5 first place votes)

Hawkeye, thats another one from my list. Its crazy that Claremont/Cockrum x-men got hella points, cuz we still got "Claremont's X-Men"(post-Byrne) and Claremont/Byrne X-Men to come.

If I had to guess, I'm thinking Scott Pilgrim won't be here, which is sad face. It had 193 points back in 2016, and it would need 361+ to show up now, which is hard to see for a completed slice of life comic who's popularity peaked back in 2010/2011.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm rewatching the X-Files and I'm near the end of the original run -and I think Sunshine Days is a legit underrated masterpiece.
latest

this episode had a pre-Lost Michael Emerson as a man who could mentally recreate the Brady Bunch house.
X-MichaelEmerson.jpg

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
When talking about TV shows your supposed to use less context Dalek!

good-morning.jpg

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Top Comic Runs 40-37

Today's Update:

40. Matt Fraction and David Aja's Hawkeye – 339 points (2 first place votes)

39. Kurt Busiek and George Perez's Avengers – 349 points (4 first place votes)

38. Chris Claremont and Dave Cockrum's X-Men -353 points (2 first place votes)

37. Joss Whedon and John Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men – 360 points (5 first place votes)

Hawkeye, thats another one from my list. Its crazy that Claremont/Cockrum x-men got hella points, cuz we still got "Claremont's X-Men"(post-Byrne) and Claremont/Byrne X-Men to come.

If I had to guess, I'm thinking Scott Pilgrim won't be here, which is sad face. It had 193 points back in 2016, and it would need 361+ to show up now, which is hard to see for a completed slice of life comic who's popularity peaked back in 2010/2011.

Avengers and Claremont's X-Men are both great comics. I need to re-read Busiek's Avengers, as it's the last time we got a "classic" Avengers before the modern era.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Ooh, good timing. Fresh new OT and I finally subbed to Marvel Unlimited the other day. I'm feeling pretty excited to start catching up on a whole bunch of shit I've missed, and I'm starting with Nick Spencer's ASM, particularly the Hunted storyline. Really enjoying it so far, as with the rest of what I've read of Spencer's run.

The Marvel Unlimited app is kinda... meh, though. I wish I could easily follow an entire series or add it to my library for easy access instead of awkwardly adding each issue to my library. At least the reading list section has some good collections. Did a quick search and it looks like catching up to Dawn of X stuff is gonna be convenient. Feeling a little overwhelmed with how much I've got access to, though, hah. Not sure if I should catch up on ASM first or try out some other series I've been interested in for a while now. Maybe I'll just quickly check out Cosmic Ghost Rider. It's only a limited series, after all. I think. Oh! And this means I can read the new GOTG series too. Sweet. There's so much to read, this is awesome.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Ooh, good timing. Fresh new OT and I finally subbed to Marvel Unlimited the other day. I'm feeling pretty excited to start catching up on a whole bunch of shit I've missed, and I'm starting with Nick Spencer's ASM, particularly the Hunted storyline. Really enjoying it so far, as with the rest of what I've read of Spencer's run.

The Marvel Unlimited app is kinda... meh, though. I wish I could easily follow an entire series or add it to my library for easy access instead of awkwardly adding each issue to my library. At least the reading list section has some good collections. Did a quick search and it looks like catching up to Dawn of X stuff is gonna be convenient. Feeling a little overwhelmed with how much I've got access to, though, hah. Not sure if I should catch up on ASM first or try out some other series I've been interested in for a while now. Maybe I'll just quickly check out Cosmic Ghost Rider. It's only a limited series, after all. I think. Oh! And this means I can read the new GOTG series too. Sweet. There's so much to read, this is awesome.
Oh DEFINITELY check out the new GOTG. My favorite book of the year

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

eee exciting. let us know your thoughts as you start diving into stuff, bunkitz!

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Oh DEFINITELY check out the new GOTG. My favorite book of the year
Cool! That's good to know. I think I was able to read the first issue before (because of Marvel Future Fight, I think? lol) and it seemed really interesting. I don't need to read anything prior to it, do I? The description mentions Infinity Wars but... I'm not really interested in it. Unless it's actually good?
eee exciting. let us know your thoughts as you start diving into stuff, bunkitz!
I'd be glad to! Though, I tend to write unfortunately long but not at all well-written posts, so please bear with me if/when that happens, lmao.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

The new Guardians of the Galaxy is in my top 10 of the year. Absolutely fire book.

To combine with that, I'd recommend:

Rocket Raccoon (2017) by Al Ewing (Blue River Score, if it's in trade)

Avengers: No Road Home by Al Ewing, Mark Waid, Jim Zub

Both of those have storylines that go into that Guardians run, though neither are mandatory by any means they are extraordinarily good

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Been reading Kageki Shojo last few nights and I'm really liking it as I get further. The characters have a lot more depth to them than I initially thought. It also does a good job at not really glorifying stuff like those big idol groups or performance art schools which is pretty refreshing.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Cool! That's good to know. I think I was able to read the first issue before (because of Marvel Future Fight, I think? lol) and it seemed really interesting. I don't need to read anything prior to it, do I? The description mentions Infinity Wars but... I'm not really interested in it. Unless it's actually good?

I'd be glad to! Though, I tend to write unfortunately long but not at all well-written posts, so please bear with me if/when that happens, lmao.
Is it the one by Al Ewing? Started up this year?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Been reading Kageki Shojo last few nights and I'm really liking it as I get further. The characters have a lot more depth to them than I initially thought. It also does a good job at not really glorifying stuff like those big idol groups or performance art schools which is pretty refreshing.

Is this the manga adaptation of Revue Starlight? Or is it something different?

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the manga adaptation of Revue Starlight? Or is it something different?
Completely different and unrelated actually. This is a drama without any sort of battles or magical elements. But it does revolve around a school focused on stage performances and musical theatre. I believe it has a lesbian romance as it progresses as well.

I'm a huge fan of Revue Starlight, and so my friend who recommended it to me, so I'd say it's worth trying if you are into that. Tagging Porl since I know I got you into that

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
The new Guardians of the Galaxy is in my top 10 of the year. Absolutely fire book.

To combine with that, I'd recommend:

Rocket Raccoon (2017) by Al Ewing (Blue River Score, if it's in trade)

Avengers: No Road Home by Al Ewing, Mark Waid, Jim Zub

Both of those have storylines that go into that Guardians run, though neither are mandatory by any means they are extraordinarily good
Oh, I've seen No Road Home before but never got around to picking it up so I'll be sure to check that one out. The 2017 Rocket book seems interesting too, and it's short so I'll check it out too before starting Guardians.
Is it the one by Al Ewing? Started up this year?
OHH. Wait, were y'all talking about the 2020 Guardians book? Right. My bad, lol. I was thinking of the one before that. Uhh, 2017, I think? Nope, 2019. The one with Cosmic Ghost Rider, yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Well, both these books look very interesting so I'd be more than happy to check them both out.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Completely different and unrelated actually. This is a drama without any sort of battles or magical elements. But it does revolve around a school focused on stage performances and musical theatre. I believe it has a lesbian romance as it progresses as well.

I'm a huge fan of Revue Starlight, and so my friend who recommended it to me, so I'd say it's worth trying if you are into that. Tagging Porl since I know I got you into that

Significantly less interested without the fighting, I'll be honest lol. The lesbian subtext is great and watching them delve into Takarazuka is awesome, but I got into it because I like magical girls like Nanoha/Symphogear.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I've seen No Road Home before but never got around to picking it up so I'll be sure to check that one out. The 2017 Rocket book seems interesting too, and it's short so I'll check it out too before starting Guardians.

OHH. Wait, were y'all talking about the 2020 Guardians book? Right. My bad, lol. I was thinking of the one before that. Uhh, 2017, I think? Nope, 2019. The one with Cosmic Ghost Rider, yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Well, both these books look very interesting so I'd be more than happy to check them both out.
Oooooooh welp never mind. The 2019 one is by Donny Cates. I haven't read that one, but it got a lot of positive reception. I know there are a few stories you can read before hopping into that.

You already know about Cosmic Ghost Rider

Thanos Wins (Thanos 2016 #13-18)
Silver Surfer Black
Death of the Inhumans

All by Donny Cates. I haven't read Thanos Wins or Silver Surfer Black myself, but I personally have a strong distaste for Death of the Inhumans. That's speaking as someone who is a Inhumans fan. Cates admitted that he didn't know much about them and was asked to do that story anyways and was basically using it as a springboard for his Guardians run.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017

I've had my eye on it since an anime was announced a couple months back. Good to know you like it

Ahhh okay that tracks. The Donny Cates one is also pretty fun, but it got cut super short so a lot of the plot points it was setting up never got resolved, which is a shame because they looked pretty interesting.

Silver Surfer Black is an excellent mini that spins off of issue 1 too, so check that one out as well.

Regarding Infinity Wars, it wasn't terribly bad, but it was just a weird event and not terribly exciting. It came at the end of Gerry Duggan's GOTG run, which had been great fun up until that point. I recommend the run as a whole either way, but you don't need to read it to understand the rest.
Infinity Wars did create Infinity Warps and Secret Warps, both of which are a lot of alt-universe fun, especially the second. Again, you can just jump in to those if you want

Status
Not open for further replies.