• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which writer do you prefer?

• James Tynion IV (Punchline creator, Batman, Detective Comics)

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Donny Cates (Buzzkill, Responsible for the recent influx of Venom and Carnage)

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Scott Snyder (Wikipedia, Dark Knights Death Metal, American Vampire)

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Jonathan Hickman (Charts, Orgy Island, Saved X-Men? East of West)

Votes: 72 63.2%
  • Tom Taylor (Batman, Vision, Sheriff of Babylon)

Votes: 14 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Were people pissed when
it was revealed that Galactus is a herald of a tropical storm?

I think most people thought it was dumb and unnecessary, or hoping it was a fake out. I'm tired or Cates retcons lol

what's this endless winter thing all about

is it good

9-part JL story to fill time in December. Seems to be decent if you aren't a weirdo that doesn't understand why it's going on the same time as Death Metal.

I have just reached the Second Coming crossover in Peter David's X-factor and I realise I am going to have to read the whole event for this to make sense.
Damn annoying honestly. I just want to read X-factor, but its basically forcing me to read the whole crossover.

Almost like they do this on purpose. 😡

All you need to know is that Bastion revived a bunch of dead X-villains, iirc. Which is set up in Kyle and Yost's X-Force. X-Factor is almost completely removed from the event since they're not in Utopia. It's very much an unrelated tie-in and doesn't impact the rest of the book.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting Tuesday is DC day

Too bad I'm catching up on X of Swords

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Top Comic Book Runs: 44-41

Today's Update:

44. Jason Aaron and R.M. Guera's Scalped – 296 points (3 first place votes)

43. Peter David's second run on X-Factor – 314 points (9 first place votes)

42. Warren Ellis, Darick Robertson and Rodney Ramos' Transmetropolitan – 319 points (1 first place vote)

41. Jeff Smith's Bone – 335 points (8 first place votes)

SCALPED IS BACK!
I was really starting to get worried after it dropped all the way down to 99th place four years ago, and maybe people forgot that it was the best crime thriller in comics, and legit contender for best ongoing every single year it was being published.
i'm pretty surprised david's x-factor is high. almost higher than transmet or bone, for christ's sake! insane.
I don't think there was any sex creepiness in Stormwatch/The Authority/The Wild Storm. Unless I missed some lol.
there was def a bunch of folk just having casual sex within the authority that's reflected poorly in the context of ellis' problems, unfortunately.

Sorry guys Knull is no longer coming

lol they really are toning it down, aren't they? "knull is arriving" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I think most people thought it was dumb and unnecessary, or hoping it was a fake out. I'm tired or Cates retcons lol

9-part JL story to fill time in December. Seems to be decent if you aren't a weirdo that doesn't understand why it's going on the same time as Death Metal.

All you need to know is that Bastion revived a bunch of dead X-villains, iirc. Which is set up in Kyle and Yost's X-Force. X-Factor is almost completely removed from the event since they're not in Utopia. It's very much an unrelated tie-in and doesn't impact the rest of the book.
I'm not sure I can agree with this.
X-factor 204 basically starts with Madrox and his team under siege by an unexplained army of dudes with guns.
I think they are being literally attacked by the US army. But fuck knows why.
It's like part 5 of the second coming story and I have no idea what is happening.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Here are NPR's Best Comic Books and Graphic Novels of 2020!
  • Almost American Girl: An Illustrated Memoir by Robin Ha
  • Apsara Engine by Bishakh Som
  • Banned Book Club by Kim Hyun Sook and Ryan Estrada, illustrated by Ko Hyung-Ju
  • Black Heroes Of The Wild West by James Otis Smith
  • Dancing After TEN by Vivian Chong and Georgia Webber
  • The Daughters Of Ys by M.T. Anderson, illustrated by Jo Rioux
  • Fantastic Four: Grand Design by Tom Scioli
  • Flamer by Mike Curato
  • Glass Town: The Imaginary World Of The Brontës by Isabel Greenberg
  • Go With The Flow by Lily Williams and Karen Schneemann
  • Kent State: Four Dead In Ohio by Derf Backderf
  • Moms by Yeong-shin Ma, translated by Janet Hong
  • Notes On A Case Of Melancholia: Or, A Little Death by Nicholas Gurewitch
  • The Plain Janes by Cecil Castellucci and Jim Rugg
  • Solutions And Other Problems by Allie Brosh
  • Sports Is Hell by Ben Passmore
  • Twins by Varian Johnson, illustrated by Shannon Wright
  • When Stars Are Scattered by Victoria Jamieson and Omar Mohamed, illustrated by Iman Geddy
  • Wonder Woman: Dead Earth by Daniel Warren Johnson with Mike Spicer
  • Year Of The Rabbit by Tian Veasna

apps.npr.org

Books We Love

Here are 380+ great reads from 2023 hand-picked just for you by NPR staff and trusted critics.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Here are NPR's Best Comic Books and Graphic Novels of 2020!
  • Almost American Girl: An Illustrated Memoir by Robin Ha
  • Apsara Engine by Bishakh Som
  • Banned Book Club by Kim Hyun Sook and Ryan Estrada, illustrated by Ko Hyung-Ju
  • Black Heroes Of The Wild West by James Otis Smith
  • Dancing After TEN by Vivian Chong and Georgia Webber
  • The Daughters Of Ys by M.T. Anderson, illustrated by Jo Rioux
  • Fantastic Four: Grand Design by Tom Scioli
  • Flamer by Mike Curato
  • Glass Town: The Imaginary World Of The Brontës by Isabel Greenberg
  • Go With The Flow by Lily Williams and Karen Schneemann
  • Kent State: Four Dead In Ohio by Derf Backderf
  • Moms by Yeong-shin Ma, translated by Janet Hong
  • Notes On A Case Of Melancholia: Or, A Little Death by Nicholas Gurewitch
  • The Plain Janes by Cecil Castellucci and Jim Rugg
  • Solutions And Other Problems by Allie Brosh
  • Sports Is Hell by Ben Passmore
  • Twins by Varian Johnson, illustrated by Shannon Wright
  • When Stars Are Scattered by Victoria Jamieson and Omar Mohamed, illustrated by Iman Geddy
  • Wonder Woman: Dead Earth by Daniel Warren Johnson with Mike Spicer
  • Year Of The Rabbit by Tian Veasna

apps.npr.org

Books We Love

Here are 380+ great reads from 2023 hand-picked just for you by NPR staff and trusted critics.
Oh this reminded me that whatsinaname also liked Sports is Hell I think. I'm gonna have to check that one out since I enjoyed BTTM FDRS and Your Black Friend.

How did you guys like Wonder Woman Dead Earth? I saw some stuff out of context that seemed a bit... mean spirited I guess. So I wasn't sure how that actually panned out in the context of the story and all. I do like Wonder Woman quite a bit so I would be up for an elseworlds story.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
i'm pretty surprised david's x-factor is high. almost higher than transmet or bone, for christ's sake! insane.

there was def a bunch of folk just having casual sex within the authority that's reflected poorly in the context of ellis' problems, unfortunately.

lol they really are toning it down, aren't they? "knull is arriving" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Have you read it? It's pretty much "not a lot people have read it but the people who have know it's amazing" the book. You can tell by it getting more first place votes than any of the others.

I'm not sure I can agree with this.
X-factor 204 basically starts with Madrox and his team under siege by an unexplained army of dudes with guns.
I think they are being literally attacked by the US army. But fuck knows why.
It's like part 5 of the second coming story and I have no idea what is happening.

The plot is basically that Bolivar Trask was revived and still found a place in the US Govt (because of course), and under orders from Bastion went after X-Factor. Second Coming is good and worth reading but X-Factor is not at all involved in the main storyline unless I'm misremembering. The main storyline takes place almost entirely in San Francisco.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It's ok I was planning on getting to Second Coming as part of my reading anyway.

Honestly I'm not surprised David's X-factor is that high on the list. As someone who is literally reading it at the moment. It's really damn good.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
This comic is just weird.

abfbf13b55293098111c1292a52e0e15315041b3_hq.jpg

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a chance to get last year's iPad for $200, the only issue is it's a 32GB model.

But it's cheapest current entry for me to get another good tablet for comics

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Were people pissed when
it was revealed that Galactus is a herald of a tropical storm?
Of a tropical storm?
I'm not sure I even understand enough to be angry. I haven't read it.
Is it a lazy dumb thing where 'you know Galactus has heralds? Well Galactus was actually a herald of an even BIGGER bad guy?! SHOCK HORROR

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Of a tropical storm?
I'm not sure I even understand enough to be angry. I haven't read it.
Is it a lazy dumb thing where 'you know Galactus has heralds? Well Galactus was actually a herald of an even BIGGER bad guy?! SHOCK HORROR
Yeah, the latter.

He's a Herald of the thing that destroyed the universe where he came from and now it came to ours to kill him.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Ellen Page, now known as Elliot, just came out as transgender today. They were in Juno, Beyond Two Souls, and now in Umbrella Academy.

Cant imagine how hard it must have been for them just normally, but also being a movie star and in the public eye.

EDIT: Just saw the OT thread, my bad

Last edited:

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Yesssss! After disappearing for a good, long time into the void, Spider-girl Complete Collection 3 is apparently resolicited as it's dated for April on Amazon. Hope once more lives that Mayday can keep on skating by with these rereleases. Really hoping they can at least make it through her full initial run, and ideally keep rolling through the rest...

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, sounds like Alex Ross is a little pissed off at DC/WB for not paying or crediting him for his work on some of the characters and designs used in the movies and tv shows. Didnt know he designed Batwoman.

For the Kingdom Come Superman in the Crisis crossover:

"So instead I got screwed. They didn't pay me or Mark (Waid) … I don't see any money for the Wonder Woman movie using my armour or… I designed Batwoman for heaven sakes, and she's got a whole damn show."

Then Wonder Woman and Batwoman:

"But you know these are some the issues that I have not working with Warner Bros. anymore. You know they can recycle my content and they used to pay. And I'm not kidding, they paid a year ago for different things that were kind of "discretionary bonuses" is how they called it. Where they give you a gift of money, so that you're not out there effectively complaining like I'm doing right now. I got taken advantage of."

"Basically, in a buildup of a lot of projects over time, particularly peeking last year with the Crisis thing, there was a lot of stuff of mine that was getting (on TV) physically. And of course, the interpretation Mark and I did of the broken Batman we now saw portrayed by Kevin Conroy… and every fan knows where that was coming from. But we got no love from the corporation, and I have to feel, it probably revolves around the new ownership. Has probably cut the budget of any kind of discretionary money given, so it's a really rotten thing."

"The last thing I ever got paid for was for another Kingdom Come character, the youngest daughter for Black Lightning is on his TV show and she originates from Kingdom Come. So I believe Mark and I both got paid the same few hundred dollars for her being part of that show. It's something, and that's kind of all you're looking for, a token of acknowledgement. That they know this is how this thing arrived here. but now that's being cut to shreds because you know the mass number of these things they are making, you have to assume the new broom is sweeping clean."

Source:

www.youtube.com

Alex Ross Art Merging Genres

Alex Ross talks with @johnwordballoon about the new UNSEEN art book... and much more! The UNSEEN 2020 art book is available now only at http://Alex Ross Art...

Around an hour and 10 minutes in.

Hadnt noticed that he stopped working for WB/DC. Guess he has been doing mostly Marvel stuff these days. What a way to shit on one your biggest creators.

EDIT: But its time to stop hoping these companies are going to just pay creators out of the goodness of their own hearts lol. Nothing is going to change until theres a lawsuit or something that forces them to pay, even if they signed some sort of contract. Either that or creators need to start negotiating better contracts that include this sort of stuff.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's ok I was planning on getting to Second Coming as part of my reading anyway.

Honestly I'm not surprised David's X-factor is that high on the list. As someone who is literally reading it at the moment. It's really damn good.

Worth saying that Peter David has said some pretty sus things, but as a creator his talent is excellent. His Aquaman, Supergirl, and Young Justice were some of the 90's best comics. He also did a fantastic job on Spectacular Spider-Man and wrote the Hulk at a high level about as long as Claremont did the X-Men. He doesn't get the attention of a lot of the british dudes (Gillen, Gaiman, Moore, Morrison, Millar) because he lacks that major independent hit.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017

Hadnt noticed that he stopped working for WB/DC. Guess he has been doing mostly Marvel stuff these days. What a way to shit on one your biggest creators.

EDIT: But its time to stop hoping these companies are going to just pay creators out of the goodness of their own hearts lol. Nothing is going to change until theres a lawsuit or something that forces them to pay, even if they signed some sort of contract. Either that or creators need to start negotiating better contracts that include this sort of stuff.
What on earth did DC do to Ross?
Refused to pay him for something?

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, sounds like Alex Ross is a little pissed off at DC/WB for not paying or crediting him for his work on some of the characters and designs used in the movies and tv shows. Didnt know he designed Batwoman.

For the Kingdom Come Superman in the Crisis crossover:

Then Wonder Woman and Batwoman:

Source:

www.youtube.com

Alex Ross Art Merging Genres

Alex Ross talks with @johnwordballoon about the new UNSEEN art book... and much more! The UNSEEN 2020 art book is available now only at http://Alex Ross Art...

The story about how according to legalese the character of Killer Frost has no creator is mindblowing. WB/DC is wack as hell.

I'd link it if I could find it.
I picked up the Fearless Defenders run just to see this lol. I had no idea.
Ooooh noooooo

That's not a good book tho

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, thats what my post was laying out with those quotes. They stopped paying him for his work on characters and designs used in the movies and TV shows.
That sucks. I'm just watching the video you linked now.
Absolute foolishness for DC to chase away a talent like that.

Although Alex Ross is now doing some of his best work on all those Hulk covers.
So DCs loss is Marvel's gain.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After reading that stuff about Ross I actually wonder how that works for costumes/design work? Surely he was paid upfront for the designs, but since they're costumes and not new characters are there royalties? Did McKelvie get royalties from Disney for the Captain Marvel design? I've never really thought about that before.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
After reading that stuff about Ross I actually wonder how that works for costumes/design work? Surely he was paid upfront for the designs, but since they're costumes and not new characters are their royalties? Did McKelvie get royalties from Disney for the Captain Marvel design? I've never really thought about that before.
Yea I dunno about say something like that Wonder Woman golden armor design. But when its something like Kingdom Come Batman or Superman, thats something he should have gotten some sort of payment for.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I dunno about say something like that Wonder Woman golden armor design. But when its something like Kingdom Come Batman or Superman, thats something he should have gotten some sort of payment for.

I'm not sure how Marvel/Disney handles it but prior to the AT&T buyout at least (and I can't imagine it changing after), WB/DC didn't give royalties for characters that weren't wholly original. So KC Batman and Superman for example are just derivatives of existing IP, so Waid/Ross wouldn't receive royalties if they are/were used in movies, TV, etc.. The Killer Frost thing BKatastrophe was talking about is the best example of that.

-edit-

Back to Disney/Marvel, after BvS came out there was that quote from Starlin about how he got a bigger royalty check from WB for KGBeast in BvS than he had combined to date from Disney for all the characters he created appearing in the MCU.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I just assume anyone working in comics before the TV/Movie explosion got screwed over. Maybe Marvel screws people over less since these discussions seem to revolve around DC more, but then there was the Starlin Thanos/KGBeast thing a few years back so who knows.

It'd be better that the model change but at least modern writers and artists know how the business works. I remember prior to HoXPoX or at least early on Hickman said he was only going to create new characters if they fit the story he was going to tell, clearly because he knew he wasn't going to be making much in the way of money off of them anyway. Probably why Genesis and the original four horseman were such non-characters despite Marvel's hype lol.

Unless your Jimmy Palmiotti and want to become a co-creator of Harley Quinn

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Well, Marvel is weird with this shit but then again, that's likely because of Ike.

Remember the creator of Rocket Raccoon stuff?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
After reading that stuff about Ross I actually wonder how that works for costumes/design work? Surely he was paid upfront for the designs, but since they're costumes and not new characters are there royalties? Did McKelvie get royalties from Disney for the Captain Marvel design? I've never really thought about that before.

You get nothing. It's all work for hire. This is essentially the problem, and Ross sort of touches upon it a bit.

"But you know these are some the issues that I have not working with Warner Bros. anymore. You know they can recycle my content and they used to pay. And I'm not kidding, they paid a year ago for different things that were kind of "discretionary bonuses" is how they called it. Where they give you a gift of money, so that you're not out there effectively complaining like I'm doing right now. I got taken advantage of."

They technically don't have to pay him shit. They used to throw a little bit of money his way and acknowledge he was the dude that made the costume. That's not legally needed, it's just being nice. But DC Comics is now under AT&T, who is cutting hard across the company. If you're cutting employees, why bother paying to acknowledge a guy who you already gave a paycheck for the original work? Best case, they bring him onset for Batwoman once and pay him a little.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I've listened to most of the Alex Ross video and I think I have an understanding of the situation.
It seems nebulous legally if DC has to pay any money to creators for using designs they created in other media.
Before this year when WB has cut back on everything, they were giving a little money to creators each time just to keep them happy and ward off any potential lawsuits.
Like if you accept their money, you can't then turn around and sue them.
But now all that has gone, everyone, Alex Ross included is feeling a little (justifiably) put out.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Tynion... Please don't betray me next issue... Please. Don't tease and not deliver

please let Ivy save Harley

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No. What happened there?
I do know Marvel has a long history of screwing artists.

Bill Mantlo created Rocket (among other characters) for Marvel when he worked for them back in the 80s. In the early 90s he was struck in a hit and run accident and suffered severe head and brain trauma and requires 24 hour care. IIRC it took various creators going public for Disney to acknowledge Mantlo and work out a deal with his estate for royalties compensation for Rocket for GotG and beyond.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Oh Midtown y'all gotta be better than this

Status
Not open for further replies.