• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which writer do you prefer?

• James Tynion IV (Punchline creator, Batman, Detective Comics)

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Donny Cates (Buzzkill, Responsible for the recent influx of Venom and Carnage)

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Scott Snyder (Wikipedia, Dark Knights Death Metal, American Vampire)

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Jonathan Hickman (Charts, Orgy Island, Saved X-Men? East of West)

Votes: 72 63.2%
  • Tom Taylor (Batman, Vision, Sheriff of Babylon)

Votes: 14 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
more IST restocks

Amazing Spider-Man Straczynski Omnibus HC Vol 02 Garney DM V
Amazing Spider-Man Straczynski Omnibus HC Vol 02 Quesada Var
Infinite Crisis Omnibus HC New Ed
Steranko Is Revolutionary King-Size HC
Superman the Man of Steel HC Vol 01

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I really want to know what King's original plan was for City of Bane, because I refuse to believe he intentionally wrote such an obtuse "twist" in regards to like... everything about that arc with Bane's master plan and countermeasures and shit.

But he also wrote Heroes in Crisis, which was also insane in regards to the twist.

Tom King needs to be permabanned from writing plot twists.
Weren't both of those Editorial mandates? He wrote the twist in City of Bane as a fakeout but then an editor came and said "no no keep it that way i like that"

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I voted Hickman. I've enjoyed everything he does. East Of West, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Black Monday Murders, and X-Men are all amazing. He also writes a great Spider-Man.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Please understand I listed the projects you should be voting for

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
This thread is making me realize that I haven't bought a single physical trade or collection this year online or otherwise. Nor have I stepped foot into an LCS at all this year. I've gotten rid of a bunch of extra floppies I got as swag from events in the past to declutter my bedroom. It's nothing rare. Just New 52 #1 issues of Super Man, Aqua Man, and some other stuff.

As for the poll, I read bits and pieces of all four writers' stuff. But I don't have a strong feeling for any of them. I think Tynion IV's strongest book (that I've read at least since I haven't read his cape stuff) is Something Is Killing The Children. I haven't read it past the first issue. And he gets points for teaming up with Michael Dialynas who's a super underrated artist. Just look at the TMNT stuff he gets commissioned to draw. 👌

But Cates' Guardians of The Galaxy run made me cry so I would probably give it to him on that alone. I haven't read any DC stuff this year so Snyder's stuff is alien to me. And the odd way Undiscovered Country is written turns me off from his creator-owned stuff. I find Hickman's stuff overwhelming. I tried reading East of West but dropped it along with the X-Men reboot and spin-offs. Yet, I heard good things about Decorum.

I'm quite surprised Zdarksy isn't on the poll given his popularity here. 🤔

I don't know how I ended up on David Pepose's email list considering I haven't reviewed comic books for an outlet in a year. I might have left my email on my Twitter bio which is probably how he got it. But I got a review copy of The O.Z. #1. I'll give it a read and figure out where to post it. I have a Medium account but I heard mixed things about it.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
If I could go again I'd remove Hickman and put Zdarsky in.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
lmao black widow #3 has the reveal that one of the guy is trying to pull a Batman #50 on nat and you're telling me that tom king didn't win, in the end?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Fuuuuck, I didn't get my bid in right in time for those old Sin City trades. I've wanted those for a really long ass time.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Messi doesn't know about what's going on in Georgia and yet he reads American funny books.

For example, I'm an expert in Japanese politics. I know all about Abes, prefectures and prime ministers.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
I think Vic was making a joke about upcoming US senate runoff elections in Georgia. Some republicans are saying they shouldn't even vote because democrats will just rig it... somehow? Yeah.

Oh I read comic books and talk excitedly about shonen jumps online

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
This is gonna be my month.

I am four weeks late on my comics, but I WILL make the top 10 for December!

Believe it!

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If you guys wanna learn about Japanese political history then I suggest reading this.

vHmAZ0s.jpg

For example, there's a furry political party.

zMcV8MH.jpg

And they make love to each other every 3 days.

woAaAN1.png

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
Bought the brazilian edition of East of West and I'm falling in love with it again.

Also, new avatar time.

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
So... everyone should watch Urasawa Naoki no Manben.

Naoki Urasawa (Yawara, Monster, Pluto, 20th Century Boys) has his crew set up mostly unmanned cameras to film a mangaka for several days, and he and the guest talk about their history, style, methodology, working conditions, and all sorts of stuff. It's great when they just chat about their favorite pens or techniques for different things. You learn a lot about famous manga, the industry, and the creative process.

3dS8uZh.png
q7dI2n6.png
xqzImFK.png
x62hXkK.png
kdJT3fJ.png

I decided to make a list of all the people he interviews (he does an episode by himself, too) and some of the work their known for. Some of my favorite mangaka of all time (like Asano, Igarashi, Ikegami, and Ito) are on here, as well as a number of people I'm learning about for the first time. I highly recommend tracking down episodes you're interested in (or all of them!), because it's super fascinating.

Season 0:
Kaiji Kawaguchi (Eagle,Actor, Zipang)
Kazumi Yamashita (Wonder Boy, Land)

Season 1:
Akiko Higashimura (Princess Jellyfish, Tokyo Tarareba Girls, Blank Canvas)
Kazuhiro Fujita (Ushio to Tora, The Ghost and the Lady)
Inio Asano (Solanin, Goodnight Punpun, Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction)
Saito Takao (Golgo 13)

Season 2:
Moto Hagio (The Heart of Thomas, They Were 11, The Poe Family)
Kengo Hanazawa (Boys on the Run, I Am a Hero, Under Ninja)
Daisuke Igarashi (Witches, Children of the Sea, Designs)
Usamaru Furuya (Palepoli, Litchi☆Hikari Club, Genkaku Picasso)

Season 3:
Ryoichi Ikegami (Spider-Man: The Manga, Crying Freeman, Sanctuary)
Ranjo Miyake (Bussen, Imuri, Pet)
Tsutomu Takahashi (Jiraishin, Skyhigh, Sidooh)
Naoki Urasawa (Monster, 20th Century Boys, Pluto)

Season 4:
Reiko Shimizu (Moon Child, Kaguya-hime, Top Secret)
Junji Ito (Tomie, Uzumaki, Gyo)
Naoki Yamamoto (Believers, Arigatou, Red)
Takumi Nagayasu (Ai & Makoto, Dr. Kumahige, Sarah)

Season 5 (neo):
Tetsuya Chiba (Ashita no Joe, Ore wa Teppei, Notari Matsutarou)
Nao Iwamoto (Skeleton in the Closet; Yesterday, Yes a day; Machi de Uwasa no Tengu no Ko)
Shinichi Sugimura (Samurider, All Nude, Dias Police)
Yukinobu Hoshino (2001 Nights, Munakata Kyouju Ikouroku, Blue Hole)
Daijirou Morohoshi (Ankoku Shinwa, Youkai Hunter, Saiyuu Youenden)
Keiko Nishi (Love Song, Otoko no Isshou, Ane no Kekkon)
Fuyumi Soryo (Mars, Cesare, Boyfriend)
Shinichi Sakamoto (Innocent, Kokou no Hito, Masurao)

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
So... everyone should watch Urasawa Naoki no Manben.

Naoki Urasawa (Yawara, Monster, Pluto, 20th Century Boys) has his crew set up mostly unmanned cameras to film a mangaka for several days, and he and the guest talk about their history, style, methodology, working conditions, and all sorts of stuff. It's great when they just chat about their favorite pens or techniques for different things. You learn a lot about famous manga, the industry, and the creative process.

I want to see one with Paru Itagaki. She would have to keep the mask on all the time.

ECldblNXYAER3N6.jpg

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I want to see one with Paru Itagaki. She would have to keep the mask on all the time.

ECldblNXYAER3N6.jpg
A lot of mangaka are super private and wouldn't be willing to be filmed at all (even with a mask). They did convince Ikegami to come on by only filming him from behind while he draws, and when he has to show his face, it was covered by art he drew:
Vyx3hcF.png

Einchy, you posting Sanctuary reminded me to post about this show, since he's the artist for that series.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of mangaka are super private and wouldn't be willing to be filmed at all (even with a mask). They did convince Ikegami to come on by only filming him from behind while he draws, and when he has to show his face, it was covered by art he drew:
I don't think I've ever seen a picture of Kaoru Mori, either.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
She's private enough to not be openly photographed, but she does go to signings, so it's possible to meet her. I only know her as this face here:
unyXplp.png

That's how she draws herself for the comment pages in the back of Harta volumes.
Yeah, I've seen that in the volumes of A Bride's Story and Emma.

May 24, 2019
What time are DC comics up? I wanna try the new countdown feature for Bat/Cat

Is this right?
Dec 1, 2020 at 3:00 AM

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Interested to see how the last twelve issues of Tom King's Batman run were kinda gonna shake out.

Tynion's enjoyable and has been a huge hit for DC but I wish they'd have let King finish that full run before cutting it short. They already committed 80+ issues of the damn thing.

May 24, 2019
Interested to see how the last twelve issues of Tom King's Batman run were kinda gonna shake out.

Tynion's enjoyable and has been a huge hit for DC but I wish they'd have let King finish that full run before cutting it short. They already committed 80+ issues of the damn thing.

It being Black Label might work out better. Catwoman can actually have Helena and Bruce can actually grow old and die in out-of-continuity land.

Status
Not open for further replies.