• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which writer do you prefer?

• James Tynion IV (Punchline creator, Batman, Detective Comics)

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Donny Cates (Buzzkill, Responsible for the recent influx of Venom and Carnage)

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Scott Snyder (Wikipedia, Dark Knights Death Metal, American Vampire)

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Jonathan Hickman (Charts, Orgy Island, Saved X-Men? East of West)

Votes: 72 63.2%
  • Tom Taylor (Batman, Vision, Sheriff of Babylon)

Votes: 14 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
NeQ3Pp7.png

em4x2f4.png

lKBGBoC.png

hM5X0QF.png

Batman/Catwoman #1 By King, Mann - Echoing plot points from King's epic Batman run, this sweeping tale is told across three timelines: the past, when the Bat and the Cat first fell in love; the present, where their union is threatened by one of Batman's lost loves; and the future, where the couple have a happy life and legacy—including their daughter Helena, the Batwoman. And as the story begins, after a long marriage, Bruce Wayne passes away—which frees Selina Kyle to settle an old score. At every stage of their relationship, Bruce and Selina have an unwelcome chaperone: The Joker! Oh, and that lost love of Bruce's? It's Andrea Beaumont—a.k.a. Phantasm. Just thought you'd want to know.

Batman Black and White #1 By JAMES TYNION IV, J.H. WILLIAMS III, PAUL DINI, EMMA RIOS, and G. WILLOW WILSON art by TRADD MOORE, J.H. WILLIAMS III, ANDY KUBERT, EMMA RIOS, and GREG SMALLWOOD - The iconic anthology series returns with a brand-new slate of comics' most exciting and innovative storytellers to explore the Batman mythos in stark black-and-white! In this debut issue: James Tynion IV and Tradd Moore explore the world of Ra's al Ghul and the League of Assassins. J.H. Williams III returns to DC Comics for a trip through the Dark Knight's history . Emma Rios explores the eternal struggle of the Dark Knight . Paul Dini and Andy Kubert pit Batman against an infestation of ninja Man-Bats in the Batcave .G. Willow Wilson and Greg Smallwood portray Batman in his strangest standoff ever with Killer Croc. With a lineup this strong and a cover by legendary Batman artist Greg Capullo, you won't want to miss the start of this tremendous collection of Batman tales by some of comics' top creators!

Justice League : Endless Winter #1 By Lanning, Mars, Porter - "Endless Winter" chapter one! The crossover event of the season begins here! The Justice League encounters an extinction-level global storm brewing at the former site of the Fortress of Solitude. Enter the Frost King, a monster mad with power with an army at his command! What devastating mystery lies in his past? And how does he tied to Queen Hippolyta, Swamp Thing, Viking Prince, and their reluctant ally, Black Adam? Two timelines will reveal further clues and secrets throughout each chapter of this blockbuster tale!

Dark Knights Death Metal : Secret Origins #1 By Snyder, Johns, Benjamin - The DCU's darkest secrets are explored while two titans clash! The heroes search for a way to defeat the Darkest Knight through the universe's past, while Superboy Prime faces down the demonic Batman!

Dark Knights Death Metal : The Last Stories of the DC Universe #1 By SCOTT SNYDER, JAMES TYNION IV, JOSHUA WILLIAMSON, MARK WAID, GAIL SIMONE, MARIKO TAMAKI, JEFF LEMIRE, CECIL CASTELLUCCI, and CHRISTOPHER SEBELA - The last battle against the Batman Who Laughs is at hand…the final fight for everything in the universe. And while the night is usually darkest just before the dawn, what would be the last thing you'd do if you weren't sure the dawn would ever arrive? Join our heroes in their waning hours as we show their journeys through what could be their final moments…heroes that have fought a million times before, but are keenly aware this could be their endgame. These are the stolen moments detailing the last stories of the DC Universe.

Dark Knights Death Metal : The Last 52 : War of the Multiverses #1 By SCOTT SNYDER, JOSHUA WILLIAMSON, MAGDALENE VISAGGIO, JAMES TYNION IV, KYLE HIGGINS, MARGUERITE BENNETT, MATT ROSENBERG, JUSTIN JORDAN, REGINE SAWYER, and CHE GRAYSON - What would it take to get every being left in the Multiverse to side together in the ultimate, final showdown? Total decimation and the complete undoing of all existence? The Batman Who Laughs has made his final move, bringing the most horrifying opposition to the battleground, and now every hero and villain left alive will stand and fight together. This epic battle book details every side of the last war across the Multiverse—Wonder Woman leading the heroes, Superman leading the villains, and Batman leading the dead—everyone has to play their part. Everyone and everything is at stake…so join here for the last of the DCU as we know it!

Dark Knights Death Metal #7 By Snyder, Capullo - The song remains anything but the same as the house lights start to come up on DC's biggest, baddest battle for control of the Multiverse! The Darkest Knight is on the verge of ending this concert once and for all, but Wonder Woman has more than just a greatest hit planned. The Amazonian warrior stands ready to shred the Darkest Knight, solo! Plus, this extra-sized finale issue includes not one but two mind-blowing epilogues that lead directly into the next phase of the DC Universe—and no fan will want to miss that!

DCs Very Merry Multiverse #1 By TOM KING, IVAN COHEN, DEREK FRIDOLFS, THOMAS SNIEGOSKI, PAUL SCHEER, NICK GIOVANETTI, SHOLLY FISCH, BRANDON THOMAS, JAY BARUCHEL, ELEANORA CARLINI, DUSTIN NGUYEN, STEVE LIEBER, SCOTT HEPBURN, VANESA DEL REY - Joy to all 52 worlds—it's time to celebrate the holiday season across the DC Multiverse! In ten stories that will light your yule log and spike your eggnog, Batman decks the gaslit halls, Lobo goes Old Testament in space, Ragman learns the true meaning of Saturnalia, President Superman attempts to figure out how Bizarro stole Christmas, and Harley Quinn tries her hand at interdimensional caroling. These seasonal sagas are sure to help you have yourself a very merry Multiverse!

Jinny Hex #1 By Visaggio, Melnikov - Jinny Hex stars- in her first solo adventure—and she's ready and raring to go! Bursting out of the pages of Young Justice, this fan-favorite gal is heading back home to take care of some unfinished business! Hoping to take some time off from Multiverse conflict, Jinny reconnects with some old friends and family. But that all goes out the window when a new foe called Three-Eyed Jack transports her town back to the Old West. Now it's up to Jinny to face off with this super-powered gunslinger and save her town! But Jinny's about to learn that some threats are closer to her heart than expected.

Batman #104 By Tyinon, Pagulayan - Ghost-Maker is living up to his spectral name as Batman scours Gotham City for any trace of him…but this deadly new vigilante is going to prove a bloody point to the Dark Knight by murdering both Clownhunter and Harley Quinn. That is, unless they kill each other first!

Far Sector #9 By Jemisin, Campbell - Jo's investigation into the conspiracy at the heart of the City Enduring takes her to Platform Solid Ground, an alien farmland where most of the City's food comes from. But what the headstrong Green Lantern discovers there shakes even her to the core as Far Sector's thrilling threads of murder and machinations build to a fever pitch.

Harley Quinn and The Birds of Prey #4 By Conner, Palmiotti - There was no way Harley was going to make it out of Gotham City without coming face to face with The Joker…and just as she's taken all his money, he's determined to take something that means even more to her! This will be the most harrowing gauntlet of Harley's life, and she—and you—are not ready for it!

Dga24yZ.png

sCd1km8.png

Bev6SOF.png

King in Black #1 By Cates, Stegman - After a campaign across the galaxy, Knull's death march arrives to Earth and, worse yet, he hasn't come alone! With an army of hundreds of thousands of symbiote dragons at his command, the King in Black is a force unlike any Earth's heroes have ever faced. EDDIE BROCK, A.K.A. VENOM has seen firsthand the chaos that even one of Knull's symbiotic monsters can wreak – will he survive an encounter with the God of the Abyss himself? From Donny Cates, Ryan Stegman, JP Mayer, Frank Martin and VC's Clayton Cowles comes the definitive chapter in their two-year-long VENOM saga that changed everything you thought you knew about symbiotes!

Venom #31 By Cates, Coello - What happens to Eddie Brock when he finally comes face to face with the lord of the abyss, the KING IN BLACK: KNULL?

King in Black : Immortal Hulk #1 By Ewing, Kuder - The Hulk is in a bad place. Half of his alters are dead or missing — including Bruce Banner — and the Leader's got the rest of him on the ropes. But never let it be said that Joe Fixit doesn't know how to have a good time — and he's out to make sure this is the best holiday the Hulk's ever had. He just has to fight his way through a planet of symbiotes first.

King in Black : Namor #1 By Busiek, Dewey, Scharf - Spinning out of the KING IN BLACK epic comes a dark, chilling story of the birth of Atlantis's greatest villains. The players: Namor, Lady Dorma of Atlantis, the outsider Attuma — all still in their teen years — and The Swift Riders, the Atlantean Empire's greatest heroes. It begins with alliances and possibility, as Attuma's people may join the Empire…but what lies ahead is tragedy, betrayal, and the unleashing of dangerous, deadly magics. A deep dive into Marvel history…and the birth of a threat that will only grow in menace across time.

The Union #1 By Grist, Di Vito - The grand unveiling of The Union! A team of super heroes gathered from all over the United Kingdom, featuring Union Jack, Snakes, Kelpie, Choir, and their fearless leader, Brittania! But when Knull and his dragons attack Earth, the fledgling team is immediately pushed to their limits! Don't miss out on an exciting new chapter of Marvel from legendary creators, Paul Grist (JUDGE DREDD, JACK STAFF) and Andrea Di Vito!

MODOK : Headgames #1 By By Blum, Oswalt, Hepburn - From Patton Oswalt and Jordan Blum, showrunners of the upcoming animated Marvel's M.O.D.O.K. show on Hulu, comes a journey into the mind of one of the biggest heads in the Marvel Universe! M.O.D.O.K. is the ruthless and brilliant leader of the terrorist organization AIM, outsmarting heroes and outmaneuvering his cutthroat colleagues gunning for his position… but when he begins to be haunted by memories of a family he never had, it leaves him unsure if he is losing his freakishly-large mind, or if perhaps there is a lot more to this enormous mind… or if there is something more sinister behind these visions.

Heroes at Home #1 By Wells, Gurihiru - Being stuck inside isn't easy for anyone, even super heroes! See how your favorite Marvel characters have coped being cooped up with HEROES AT HOME! See how Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain Marvel, Wolverine, Black Panther and Captain America do in Quarantine! Let Marvel make you smile, courtesy of artists Gurihiru and writer Zeb Wells' Sunday Funnies!

New Mutants #14 By Ayala, Reis - On the edge of Krakoan society, the NEW MUTANTS are loose in the Wild Hunt! Going big, blowing things up, and combining powers to see who gets crowned king of the mountain. But something lurks in the trees -- something old… and HUNGRY… and its favorite prey is young mutants…

X-Men #16 By Hickman, Noto - The Captain Commander of Krakoa made a fateful decision. There's no going back.

S.W.O.R.D #1 By Ewing, Schiti - The Mutant nation of Krakoa has quickly become a major force on the world stage... but why stop there? Krakoa has relaunched the Sentient World Observation & Response Directorate - a fully independent organization dealing with all things extra-terrestrial on behalf of all of Earth. Al Ewing and Valerio Schitti, the team behind EMPYRE, bring us the tale of Mutantkind looking to do for the galaxy what Krakoa did for the planet.

Marauders #16 By Duggan, Caselli - The Black King did wrong. Now he must pay.

Black Widow #4 By Thompson, Casgrande - The plan to take the Black Widow off the table unravels as the Black Widow inside Natasha continues to wake. But Natasha has more to lose now than ever before, and the choices she makes will define her life forever. As for her enemies that have joined against her…they have badly underestimated her…a fatal error.

LVGBVun.png

NJL9oZv.png

Fire Power #6 By Samnee, Kirkman - After everything he's been through and all he has sacrificed, Owen is finally reunited with his master, Wei Lun...but the reunion does not go the way you think it will.

Head Lopper #14 By Andrew McLean - The Head Lopper, with Agatha and friends, locate the lost Hammer of Arnak Pluth. But much to their dismay, it has fallen under the watchful eye of the deadly gorgon, Medusa. Always quarterly. Always oversized.

Monstress Talk Stories #2 Liu, Takeda - Once again bridging the gap between the fifth and sixth arc (which resumes January 2021), Part Two of MONSTRESS: TALK-STORIES follows Maika as she opens up to Kippa and recounts an important day from her childhood in Thyria.

The Scumbag #3 By Remender, Powell, Dinisio - "JAZZ APPLE ARMAGEDDON," Part Three As the clock ticks on Scorpionus's deadly weapon, Sister Mary must motivate the one person capable of stopping it—ol' Ernie Ray! Can he save the day or will he $#!% it all up while trying

Seven to Eternity #15 By Remender, Opena - "SPRINGS OF ZHAL," Part Two The Mud King reaps what he has sowed. Adam accepts his fate.

Reckless OGN By Brubaker, Philips - Sex, drugs, and murder in 1980s Los Angeles, and the best new twist on paperback pulp heroes since The Punisher or Jack Reacher. ED BRUBAKER and SEAN PHILLIPS, the modern masters of crime noir, bring us the last thing anyone expected from them—a good guy. A bold new series of original graphic novels, with three books releasing over the next year, each a full-length story that stands on its own. Meet Ethan Reckless: Your trouble is his business, for the right price. But when a fugitive from his radical student days reaches out for help, Ethan must face the only thing he fears…his own past."Oh man this book pushed EVERY crime fiction button for me. Working class setting covering up for a deeper societal rot, a battered, damaged (literally) protagonist against the beast, and all of it squirming and lunging through an over-lit early 80s L.A. Noir bleached to bleakness. Bliss." —Patton Oswalt

u0nE3b2.png

khNQbQQ.png

Chainsaw Man Vol 2 By Tatsuki Fujimoto - Now that Denji has found the noble goal in life of "touching a boob," the rest is easy! He just needs to defeat a gigantic bat monster before he bleeds to death. Never underestimate a motivated Chainsaw Man! But will all his sacrifices actually be worth it...?

Spy X Family Vol 3 By Endo - Twilight has overcome many challenges in putting together the Forger family, but now all his hard work might come undone when Yor's older brother Yuri pops in for a surprise visit! Can Twilight outsmart Yuri when he finds out Yuri is actually a mortal enemy of his intelligence agency-an Ostanian Secret Service officer?

Demon Slayer Vol 19 By Gotouge - The Demon Slayers fight hard to get their blades closer to Muzan's neck! To avenge her family, Kanao must continue to battle Doma head-on, while Iguro and Kanroji find themselves slashing through the shifting rooms of Infinity Castle. Elsewhere, Tokito, Sanemi and Genya come face-to-face with a villain who recognizes Tokito, but Tokito doesn't know him. Who is this powerful adversary?

No Guns Life Vol 8 By Karasuma - Juzo was badly damaged in the fight with Io, the mysterious figure believed to be Tetsuro's brother. To get Juzo back in shape, he will need access to military secrets contained inside Wunder Bender, a maximum security prison built for housing the Overextended. To add to the challenge, the only person who knows how to use those secrets to repair Juzo is Victor, who is currently being held in the prison. Olivia can use her connections to get Juzo and Mary into the facility, but once inside, they are on their own...

One Piece Vol 95 By Oda - The Straw Hats are in serious trouble when Kaido and Big Mom form the ultimate alliance of evil! Can Luffy and his allies convince enough citizens of Wano to fight on their side? They'll need every warrior available if they hope to take down two pirate Emperors at once!

Komi Can't Communicate Vol 10 By Oda - Komi is starting her second year of high school, and she's feeling a bit melancholy that all the good times of the previous year are now behind her. How can anything else compare? But when Komi runs into a new girl with outrageous fashion sense crying in the bathroom, she's able to put all her wonderful experience in making friends to good use and reach out to another person in need. Komi has leveled up!

NaLhULv.png

-If you must post a spoilery panel or a page from a Shonen Jump (recent or otherwise), please link to them with a proper spoiler warning.
-Please at least allow one week before posting unmarked spoilers.
- Use common sense when it comes to older spoilers. Its easy to use a spoiler tag and has the same effect.
-Announcements/Solicitations are not spoiler worthy, no need to tag
- Don't spoiler tag images, it doesn't work on mobile so its not reliable.
-MARK YOUR SPOILERS

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Yay December!

My birthday is December the 4th.

Not particularly looking forward to it.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Whos replacing Gorgon on the Quiet Council lol? Mr. Sinister's clone or Gambit?

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to Phanphare for the images every month and Freeza for the banner.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Thanks for making the thread as always, Messi even if I lurk most of the time.

I had a long-ass post about reading 2 Sisters, A Map To The Sun, and My Hero Academia Vol. 1. on Libby. But I don't know if I should post it or publish it elsewhere. So I moved it to a word doc to save it for now.

Short version:

2 Sisters by Matt Kindt and Marie Enger- The plot was confusing at times and the art looked cubist/grotesque at times. But I enjoyed it. Only recommend it Matt Kindt fans and people looking for a solid spy comic. It has tons of silent panels that work well. And there's family drama too.

A Map To The Sun by Sloane Leong- Is one of the best books I've read this year. I think it puts many cape runs to shame. Loved the diversity, the themes, and the colors. Plus I think it has excellent panel work so Leong killed it. I hope more American creators do more sports centered comics since it was quite refreshing. I want to go back and analyze the art but it's quite a popular book on the app. I highly recommend it.

My Hero Academia Vol. 1 by Kohei Hirokoshi (and his assistants credited at the end of the book)- I read it finally see what all the buzz is about. It was fun and I like the character designs. Then I proceeded to watch the first episode to get an idea of what the English dub voices are like. My favorite thing was the direct Mario reference. Plus the way it subverts shonen tropes (namely, the mentor and apprentice trope). I'm not sure if I'll read the rest of the volumes since there are so many of them. But who knows? I'm not quite a MHA fan yet though lol.

Currently reading:

Good Talk by Mira Jacob- Uncomfortable conversations about race, ethnicity, and other hot topics. It revolves around Jacob's own upbringing by Indian immigrants and what it means for her son to be biracial. It's solid if a bit too wordy so it bores me a bit. I do like the use of drawn figures against pictures of real locations so I have ideas for my own comics. More thoughts once I finish it.

Speak: The Graphic Novel by Laurie Halse Anderson and Emily Caroll- Another book I'm reading for research. It reads like a horror story at times since it's about how crippling staying silent can be. And what it means to be a misanthrope in high school. It's oppressive and heavy at times but there are brief moments of levity. I hope it ends on a hopeful note since I never read the original book.

One Trick Pony by Nathan Hale-
No comment since I haven't started reading it yet. But I'm digging the art style a lot. I'll jump into it once I finish one of the other two books.

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Theresa sleeping with Deadpool?
That's weird.
Although the thought of anyone sleeping with Deadpool is weird.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making the thread as always, Messi even if I lurk most of the time.

I had a long-ass post about reading 2 Sisters, A Map To The Sun, and My Hero Academia Vol. 1. on Libby. But I don't know if I should post it or publish it elsewhere. So I moved it to a word doc to save it for now.

Short version:

2 Sisters by Matt Kindt and Marie Enger- The plot was confusing at times and the art looked cubist/grotesque at times. But I enjoyed it. Only recommend it Matt Kindt fans and people looking for a solid spy comic. It has tons of silent panels that work well. And there's family drama too.

A Map To The Sun by Sloane Leong- Is one of the best books I've read this year. I think it puts many cape runs to shame. Loved the diversity, the themes, and the colors. Plus I think it has excellent panel work so Leong killed it. I hope more American creators do more sports centered comics since it was quite refreshing. I want to go back and analyze the art but it's quite a popular book on the app. I highly recommend it.

My Hero Academia Vol. 1 by Kohei Hirokoshi (and his assistants credited at the end of the book)- I read it finally see what all the buzz is about. It was fun and I like the character designs. Then I proceeded to watch the first episode to get an idea of what the English dub voices are like. My favorite thing was the direct Mario reference. Plus the way it subverts shonen tropes (namely, the mentor and apprentice trope). I'm not sure if I'll read the rest of the volumes since there so many of them. But who knows? I'm not quite a MHA fan yet though lol.

Currently reading:

Good Talk by Mira Jacob- Uncomfortable conversations about race, ethnicity, and other hot topics. It revolves around Jacob's own upbringing by Indian immigrants and what it means for her son to be biracial. It's solid if a bit too wordy so it bores me a bit. I do like the use of drawn figures against pictures of real locations so I have ideas for my own comics. More thoughts once I finish it.

Speak: The Graphic Novel by Laurie Halse Anderson and Emily Caroll- Another book I'm reading for research. It reads like a horror story at times since it's about how crippling staying silent can be. And what it means to be a misanthrope in high school. It's oppressive and heavy at times but there are brief moments of levity. I hope it ends on a hopeful note since I never read the original book.

One Trick Pony by Nathan Hale-
No comment since I haven't started reading it yet. But I'm digging the art style a lot. I'll jump into it once I finish one of the other two books.
nice list of books! real diverse reads there. messi getting everyone to read my hero academia, lol

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't seem too eager. Some comics don't like that.

What are you gonna read?

Dunno, depends on what's up on MU this week. If nothing interesting I'll give the Rucka Lois Lane book another shot on Hoopla (I was reading it monthly but bailed because I hated Perkins art)

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Just looking at the (very nice) OP and somehow Heroes at Home has almost slipped me by.
Gurihiru art. Fucking yes please.

Is this just a one shot? I need more.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Gunna check out Lois Lane tonight now that its all finished, along with Blade of the Immortal finally.

Not much new stuff this month im looking forward to from DC besides Bat/Cat. Super excited for King in Black though. Should probably at least read through Absolute Carnage before it, but I probably wont lol.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
time to start editing santa hats and christmas stuff into our avatars

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a place to vote for Community of the year?

And Messi did put that Harley book in the Op, so hes got Punchline covered with it

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
nice list of books! real diverse reads there. messi getting everyone to read my hero academia, lol
The joys of browsing an app, getting curious about a book, and checking it out for free. I'm reading stuff I would have never have paid attention to otherwise. Kids these days are spoiled to have access to a library in the palm of their hands.

But it's the Messi effect for sure since I went down a rabbit hole to look up what Deku means. I'll be doing MHA fan art before I know it and mull over dying my hair green. 😆

And the highly recommended Saga is another Messi fave I'm considering reading after the next set of books. At least the first volume for now. I've had a lot of hardcore comic book fans swear by that book including a friend who works at ReedPOP. I'm sure he'll gush about it again to prod me to read it. 😉

May 24, 2019
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.