• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which series should Messi read? (keep my tastes in mind, this isn't a popularity poll)

• Naruto

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Bleach

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Dragon Ball (original, no Z)

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • One Piece (I know this will win by popularity)

Votes: 24 36.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like, the Beast Wars comic just finished its opening arc that roughly covered the first two episodes of the show with an extra-sized issue #1 to throw some extra material in at the start where the Predacons set the plot off.

This took six issues.
Manga has this issue too, to a degree. Like with No Guns Life, the first season of the anime covers like, the first 5 volumes of the manga. That's kind of a lot.

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
It looks like DC is trying to usher in the age of a standard $4.99 price, at which point I'm completely out. No comic is worth that.

It is bad with what they are doing. I started back into comics the last month, and seeing these prices is insane. I'm a bit older than most of you guys as I'm in my mid-40's and I grew up on the days of $1.25 comics and even paying up to $3.99 for some special edition variants on some titles. Having come back after a 15 year hiatus, its nuts seeing how some DC titles are $3.99, $4.99, and then add $5.99 for titles like The Joker. From the DC titles I've only been collecting Batman, Robin, and The Joker.

I have also been getting in getting some graded comics too, so things can get rather expensive.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manga has this issue too, to a degree. Like with No Guns Life, the first season of the anime covers like, the first 5 volumes of the manga. That's kind of a lot.
Well yeah it can't come out all at once, but then the main way Western markets have engaged with manga reading for over a decade now has been in collected volumes with lightning fast turnover. It makes American comics look like they come out too slowly because our frame of reference is the monthly single at $4 a pop versus a $10 volume of 160 - 200ish pages.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Manga chapters are still written to be consumed chapter by chapter primarily, even if they tend to stretch out a single fight or something over several chapters because it comes out weekly. They still have end of chapter cliffhangers and are primarily structured to have a beginning, middle and end.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah it can't come out all at once, but then the main way Western markets have engaged with manga reading for over a decade now has been in collected volumes with lightning fast turnover. It makes American comics look like they come out too slowly because our frame of reference is the monthly single at $4 a pop versus a $10 volume of 160 - 200ish pages.
Sure, I get that. But I personally much prefer getting a 200-page book every few months than a 20-page book monthly. Even the way Lazarus: Risen changed to a $7.99 quarterly format with 70-ish pages per issue is preferable IMO. With prices rising as they are, I like getting a big chunk of story at less frequent intervals than getting a drip-feed every few weeks. With Marvel and DC frequently raising prices, it's going to make people less inclined to check out new books that may be interesting because their hobby budget is being swallowed by the books they regularly follow. I'm sure a lot of profits were lost during the lockdown last year, and that sucks, but gouging people now to make up the difference isn't the answer.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Manga are made by teams of like 4-6 people mostly, and they're paid like crap and overworked to hell and back, so idk about using that as a model.

I think it's just that manga has a more regular monetization pipeline in the anime industry, I think.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manga are made by teams of like 4-6 people mostly, and they're paid like crap and overworked to hell and back, so idk about using that as a model.

I think it's just that manga has a more regular monetization pipeline in the anime industry, I think.
Yeah that's part of why "make it like manga" isn't really the one size fits all answer we're looking for. Like, even if comics came out more frequently, if the monthly schedule was a problem like it is for me... what's the human consequence of that?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The alternative to the single issue format is the book release format. Basically writing a full trade and releasing that in book stores and at retailers. You lose the incentive variant cover thing, but the manga market never needed it I guess.

Then motion comics!

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's part of why "make it like manga" isn't really the one size fits all answer we're looking for. Like, even if comics came out more frequently, if the monthly schedule was a problem like it is for me... what's the human consequence of that?
Like I said, Lazarus: Risen switched to a quarterly format with 70-ish pages for $8. I like that a lot more than $3.99/mo. for 20 pages.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The alternative to the single issue format is the book release format. Basically writing a full trade and releasing that in book stores and at retailers. You lose the incentive variant cover thing, but the manga market never needed it I guess.

Then motion comics!
I think part of the problem is that collections, either trades or reading a whole bunch of digital comics at once in a purchased collection or buying all the individual issues at a discount, is that they're as cheap as they are because they subsidize the cost through singles. Nothing new is getting drawn for trades, they're reprinting old material.

Like I said, Lazarus: Risen switched to a quarterly format with 70-ish pages for $8. I like that a lot more than $3.99/mo. for 20 pages.
I think UltraMega is doing that too. I like the idea if only because it gets to the collections faster, I'm fine reading in installments but not that small, but I wonder if it's that foolproof when surely someone in the business division must have floated the idea by now.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I think UltraMega is doing that too. I like the idea if only because it gets to the collections faster, I'm fine reading in installments but not that small, but I wonder if it's that foolproof when surely someone in the business division must have floated the idea by now.
I don't think the big two would go for it mainly because they really like that monthly stipend they get from comic fans on the current schedule.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Theres a Red Hood Shonen Jump series!
There's a Red Hood sexy man figure.

1902329.jpeg
1902324.jpeg

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Is Way of the Househusband meant to be funny? I never laugh.

I ask because I was talking with a friend who described it as laugh out loud and knd of the funniest manga's he's ever read.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017

I ask because I was talking with a friend who described it as laugh out loud and knd of the funniest manga's he's ever read.
I haven't read it unfortunately.
I hear the anime is real bad though.

Have you ever read Cromartie High School?
That is legitimately one of the funniest manga I have ever read. Anime is great too.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

I did find it super funny for a couple of volumes. Fell off after that.

Now if you want to see something very funny and very sad at the same time, read Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading

Bloom Into You
No Guns Life
One Punch Man
Full Metal Alchemist
One Piece
Call of the Night
Hells Paradise

And my usual weeklies.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It ran out of steam very quickly for me since the humour shifted away from Tatsu being this singular weirdo in an otherwise normal world that gradually revealed itself to be full of nutbars, so Tatsu stopped being funny or noticeable. The best chapter in the series for me was when Tatsu meets his old rival Tora, the only other Yakuza who was strong enough to face him, so they settle things with a cookoff that Tatsu wins because they posted their food on Instagram and Tatsu's wife liked his photo but nobody liked Tora's.

Plus it has zero character writing. It's all just jokes.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
It is bad with what they are doing. I started back into comics the last month, and seeing these prices is insane. I'm a bit older than most of you guys as I'm in my mid-40's and I grew up on the days of $1.25 comics and even paying up to $3.99 for some special edition variants on some titles. Having come back after a 15 year hiatus, its nuts seeing how some DC titles are $3.99, $4.99, and then add $5.99 for titles like The Joker. From the DC titles I've only been collecting Batman, Robin, and The Joker.

I have also been getting in getting some graded comics too, so things can get rather expensive.
Bring back 1.25 comics!!!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
4Kids went with Zolo, either to avoid litigation (which is dumb because Zorro is public domain) or just to avoid brand confusion (which, since they loved merchandizing, is probably the big part). Viz originally went with Zoro but switched to Zolo to match.

When Funimation took over One Piece, they went back to Zoro, because... well duh. But for some stupid reason Viz has never gone back.

They've stuck with some dumb Dragon Ball translation quirks too - like I think they still call him "Djinn Boo" instead of "Majin Buu." Viz is weird like that.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
4Kids went with Zolo, either to avoid litigation (which is dumb because Zorro is public domain) or just to avoid brand confusion (which, since they loved merchandizing, is probably the big part). Viz originally went with Zoro but switched to Zolo to match.

When Funimation took over One Piece, they went back to Zoro, because... well duh. But for some stupid reason Viz has never gone back.

They've stuck with some dumb Dragon Ball translation quirks too - like I think they still call him "Djinn Boo" instead of "Majin Buu." Viz is weird like that.

I thought he was using a code name to hide and then I was like... Oh no...

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy I think might have a thing now for the tall girl x short guy combo.

4IU9HmZ.jpeg

dzAGKkz.jpg

I blame Lovely Complex...

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Harley Quinn was basically a flirt fest between Harley and Catwoman with new art. Nothing to complain about that. It was it's own nice little contained story.

I have to say that the chase in Wonder Woman is getting tiresome, but it looks like we're finally getting somewhere in terms of stakes. One that may not give Wonder Woman a good ending with the latest cliffhanger.

It's the usual great art work and story pacing expected in Black Widow that wraps up its current arc with the chance of more coming up soon.

Okay, I wondered how Spider-Man Life Story was going to do an annual story with limited pages, but focusing on a specific person was brilliant. Especially in the instance where someone's actions actually has consequences instead of a slap in the wrist like it usually does. It's a great stand-alone story that ultimately ties into the main one nicely.

Chu had another fun edition. The new crew continues to improve its writing style, paying homage to the old style with its own twist. And it ends with a massive twist of its own.

Transformers: Shattered Glass is its own stand-alone mini set in a different universe focusing on Blurr as a bounty hunter.
Which makes it all the more surprising and cool how Starscream gets the better of the speedster.

List:
Wonder Girl #3
Harley Quinn Annual
Static: Season 1 #3
Aquaman: 80th Anniversary 100 page Spectacular
The Transformers #34

Also, I found this funny that the saga of whether Arcade really lit a match with Doom's armor continues to be speculated:

11bbjm9.jpg

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Harley Quinn was basically a flirt fest between Harley and Catwoman with new art. Nothing to complain about that. It was it's own nice little contained story.

I have to say that the chase in Wonder Woman is getting tiresome, but it looks like we're finally getting somewhere in terms of stakes. One that may not give Wonder Woman a good ending with the latest cliffhanger.

It's the usual great art work and story pacing expected in Black Widow that wraps up its current arc with the chance of more coming up soon.

Okay, I wondered how Spider-Man Life Story was going to do an annual story with limited pages, but focusing on a specific person was brilliant. Especially in the instance where someone's actions actually has consequences instead of a slap in the wrist like it usually does. It's a great stand-alone story that ultimately ties into the main one nicely.

Chu had another fun edition. The new crew continues to improve its writing style, paying homage to the old style with its own twist. And it ends with a massive twist of its own.

Transformers: Shattered Glass is its own stand-alone mini set in a different universe focusing on Blurr as a bounty hunter.
Which makes it all the more surprising and cool how Starscream gets the better of the speedster.

List:
Wonder Girl #3
Harley Quinn Annual
Static: Season 1 #3
Aquaman: 80th Anniversary 100 page Spectacular
The Transformers #34

Also, I found this funny that the saga of whether Arcade really lit a match with Doom's armor continues to be speculated:

11bbjm9.jpg
Doom really has a thing for Storm.
Not that I blame him mind.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Oh boy I think might have a thing now for the tall girl x short guy combo.

4IU9HmZ.jpeg

dzAGKkz.jpg

I blame Lovely Complex...
Tall girl x short guy is actually the ideal romance.
Something about it is incredibly cute and incredibly awesome at the same time.

I think I thing that always impressed me in Iruma is the high gap of the pairing is never really treated as a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.