• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which series should Messi read? (keep my tastes in mind, this isn't a popularity poll)

• Naruto

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Bleach

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Dragon Ball (original, no Z)

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • One Piece (I know this will win by popularity)

Votes: 24 36.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Also this mean Peter and Norman both sold their firstborn child to Mephisto
Who is the hero again?

Also brings Peter and Norman even closer together in a bizarre way.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Williamson and Molina are on Batman... Where's Jimenez :(

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't, like, a third of DC's entire publishing line just Batman (or Batman-adjacent)?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Im down for Williamson on Batman. Especially for the Damian Robin and Bruce stuff im sure is coming.

Maybe Molina and Jiminez are rotating? Or there is another Batman book coming. I think were going to see Batman age up or something, and Dick take over soon.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you've seen them try to pivot away from Batman a couple of times and every time they go back to it because it's what people buy.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I find Kwannon's very existence weird honestly.
I dont understand why she would even want to be 'Psylocke'.

I kinda figure the idea with bringing Kwannon back at all was to move the Psylocke identity from a white woman in a Japanese woman's body.

Keeping the thongkini strikes me as a bit much, though.

Yeah "white lady and Asian lady body swap" was always going to be a huge mess, of course, and it was always going to need to be undone at some point. There are so many questions about that to think about.

But yeah exactly, one of the things that occurred to me is that I have no idea why, post separation, both of them have reverted to their own bodies after YEARS of being switched - why would Kwannon embrace the Psylocke identity? That was never her. The name Psylocke, the outfit - that was never her, that was Betsy. After Kwannon got her body back, why would she also glom on to the stuff Betsy was doing?

I mean I get it from an editorial standpoint - "classic" Psylocke is iconic and they want to use her (even though she's not on any team right now). But from a story standpoint, it makes no sense. 🤷‍♂️

It's kind of weird too that Betsy's body has basically always worn armor-y drapey capey costumes whether Betsy or Kwannon was in there, and Kwannon's body has always worn skin tight swimsuit type costumes whether Betsy or Kwannon was in there. Like, why did Betsy's whole style change when the body swap happen, and then change back? When Kwannon came back in Betsy's body a couple of times in the 90's, why was she wearing 80's-betsy style outfits? Betsy's body has always been locked to D&D stuff and Kwannon is always locked to skimpy ninja stuff, and that's still the case after three decades. But their style and motifs should have stayed consistent with their personalities, not their bodies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
lol, they are really going all in on this Spawn stuff. They brought back Haunt lol.

Booth did a cool Gunslinger Spawn back up

63.jpg

But unless your a big Spawn fan, I dont think this is going to bring in new people lol. I had no idea what was going on. Is Al Simmons still Spawn?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Josh Williamson doesn't thrill me, but I'll give it a shot. I would have rather seen Stephanie Phillips get a shot at it or Tom Taylor.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Im down for Williamson on Batman. Especially for the Damian Robin and Bruce stuff im sure is coming.

Maybe Molina and Jiminez are rotating? Or there is another Batman book coming. I think were going to see Batman age up or something, and Dick take over soon.

I could see it being arc on arc off. That's kinda what Jimenez was doing with the small breaks between the big arcs

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i want to read black panther in space - is Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda a good jumping on point for Coates run? i haven't read any of it but want to skip right to the space stuff

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is this Molina's first DC work? Weird seeing him on a non-Marvel book. I think he's been great, btw, one of the best at Marvel.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Cable: Reloaded #1 was a lot of fun. Great issue for this Last Annihilation story, and a great X-Force (X-Terminators) story lol. Just not a fan of the faux Rob Liefeld look.

Really curious if anything has changed with Cable and his past/our future. Before Krakoa, his future made sense lol. But now, is this old man Cable, just kid Cable grown up? So he lived during the Krakoan times and seen what happens after? Or is this the original OG Cable and has both memories now?

Disappointed to see this isn't on his substack

If the suit is a clue about where this is going, then its totally Batman Inc.

Batman leaves Gotham to become the Worldwide Batman again, and leaves the Bat-family in charge of Gotham with Bat Dick.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i want to read black panther in space - is Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda a good jumping on point for Coates run? i haven't read any of it but want to skip right to the space stuff

I've only read the first half, but from that, you can jump straight to the space stuff - it's essentially an AU at that point, no connection to anything Coates (or anyone else) has ever done. I think that you get more connections to "regular" Black Panther in the back half, but I would bet it still reads fine.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
COMICS!!! |OT| September 2021 | Is it really Spencer Spider-Man if you don't leave with more questions than answers?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
COMICS!!! |OT| September 2021 | Are you really a Spider-man character if you don't sell your firstborn to the devil?

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Yeah, and you can basically ignore whatever Aaron did in his avengers run

The art is phenomenal too. Marc's costume really looks like it glows white even in bright environments
Iirc, the artist was basically an unknown before this, and he's indeed really good. The colorist too (I also noticed how damn vivid MK's white is), it's a damn pleasing book to look at.

I also really like how we see an acceptance of Marc's condition without having to dwell too much on it or go the "is Konshu real?? Is he crazy??" route once again. Or how Mr Knight is the business persona and the ass-kicking one is his usual self.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are overreading the ASM retcon, but also I should stop reading random opinions online.
Spencer retconning Norman's return would be crazy. I think the initial return was dumb but he's so embedded in the Marvel U I wouldn't understand the point. I think Gabriel and Sarah are in the tubes, and that Kindred is a mix of original Harry and the remnants of Peter's soul from OMD.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are overreading the ASM retcon, but also I should stop reading random opinions online.
Spencer retconning Norman's return would be crazy. I think the initial return was dumb but he's so embedded in the Marvel U I wouldn't understand the point. I think Gabriel and Sarah are in the tubes, and that Kindred is a mix of original Harry and the remnants of Peter's soul from OMD.
Has there been anything else to imply Spencer is touching Sins Past?
It would make way more sense if the kids were just a Norman fucking with Peter plot.
And he never actually fucked Gwen.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been anything else to imply Spencer is touching Sins Past?
It would make way more sense if the kids were just a Norman fucking with Peter plot.
And he never actually fucked Gwen.

I think there's speculation (or maybe proof, idk) that the building Norman returned to is from Sins Past. Though the greatest evidence is that we know Mysterio changed MJ's memories, which could have given her the belief that Gwen had those kids

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Yoooooo Midnight Suns Magik and Nico Minoru are playable

Last edited:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah "white lady and Asian lady body swap" was always going to be a huge mess, of course, and it was always going to need to be undone at some point. There are so many questions about that to think about.

But yeah exactly, one of the things that occurred to me is that I have no idea why, post separation, both of them have reverted to their own bodies after YEARS of being switched - why would Kwannon embrace the Psylocke identity? That was never her. The name Psylocke, the outfit - that was never her, that was Betsy. After Kwannon got her body back, why would she also glom on to the stuff Betsy was doing?

I mean I get it from an editorial standpoint - "classic" Psylocke is iconic and they want to use her (even though she's not on any team right now). But from a story standpoint, it makes no sense. 🤷‍♂️

It's kind of weird too that Betsy's body has basically always worn armor-y drapey capey costumes whether Betsy or Kwannon was in there, and Kwannon's body has always worn skin tight swimsuit type costumes whether Betsy or Kwannon was in there. Like, why did Betsy's whole style change when the body swap happen, and then change back? When Kwannon came back in Betsy's body a couple of times in the 90's, why was she wearing 80's-betsy style outfits? Betsy's body has always been locked to D&D stuff and Kwannon is always locked to skimpy ninja stuff, and that's still the case after three decades. But their style and motifs should have stayed consistent with their personalities, not their bodies.
With Betsy there's actually reason to believe that she has always had issues with her own physical appearance, which is one of the reasons she always has purple hair, multiple names, and issues revolving around her body. I've seen people bring it up the past few years.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's speculation (or maybe proof, idk) that the building Norman returned to is from Sins Past. Though the greatest evidence is that we know Mysterio changed MJ's memories, which could have given her the belief that Gwen had those kids
We also have to remember that everyone in the story is also either an unreliable narrator or a straight up liar.
Peter and MJ have had their memories tampered with.
Norman is a liar, who has had continual memory problems throughout his villianous career.
Harry is also a liar, who may also have had his memories altered.
Mephisto lies as easily as he breathes and we still don't know the extent of his fuckery.
And we still don't really know what Kindred's angle is.

Basically, who knows what is real anymore?

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
With Betsy there's actually reason to believe that she has always had issues with her own physical appearance, which is one of the reasons she always has purple hair, multiple names, and issues revolving around her body. I've seen people bring it up the past few years.

Yeah, I wonder what the deal is with her hair canonically - she was blonde in her first appearances (in the 70's in Claremont's first Captain Britain book), but has always been purple since then. I'm pretty sure it was said in the 80's that she started dying it purple, but since then it has always stayed purple including when she was body-swapped with Kwannon (why would body-displaced Kwannon continue to dye it?). And it even stayed purple when she was resurrected on Krakoa. So at this point, the story has to be that it's naturally purple as a mutant and she was bleaching it blonde for a while I guess.

I always feel like one of the hallmarks of a good writer is taking old details that have real-world creative reasons, not canonical reasons, and making them canon, or using them as nuggets to build around. Just like you've said - the real reason she's had these issues is because she was used for different roles in different books, then Jim Lee wanted her to be a sexy ninja, the eventually had to reverse it because it was crazy, etc - but a good writer will choose not to ignore that stuff but rather to work with it in ways that keep building the character.

Last edited:

spiderferi

Apr 15, 2018
Tehran, Iran
We also have to remember that everyone in the story is also either an unreliable narrator or a straight up liar.
Peter and MJ have had their memories tampered with.
Norman is a liar, who has had continual memory problems throughout his villianous career.
Harry is also a liar, who may also have had his memories altered.
Mephisto lies as easily as he breathes and we still don't know the extent of his fuckery.
And we still don't really know what Kindred's angle is.

Basically, who knows what is real anymore?
I think even Spencer doesn't know lol.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea that Midnight Sons game has a ton of great characters. So its going to be like X-Com?

Status
Not open for further replies.