• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about to wrap up the Batman RIP issues ahead of the Final Crisis event in the Omni.

Real interesting the way Morrison twists the inanity of 40's and 50's lore to fit a modern context and narrative. It's clever but his brand of 'confuse now, lightly explain later' is kind of disrupting the experience a tad.

I am all for reading between the lines and trying to suss out a mystery, but at times this feels overboard, even as someone that did the research and read those old issues he references.

Not to sound negative as I absolutely adore his intentions here, but the execution has me thinking the vagueness could have been flattened somewhat. I felt similarly about Seven Soldiers despite adoring it conceptually.

That said, this is the most engaged I've been reading Batman since Knightfall! :snicker:

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much time will have passed in the MU between the plant people invasion and Knull showing up. A few days?
Don't think about it
In Avengers Moon Knight took over the world but you know no one is ever going to talk about it outside the book
Also in between events Vampires were going rampage around the world and killed God know how many people not accounting what other major story arc in another book like there's supposed to be a robot uprising in iron man books that no one talks about besides iron man

Just assume marvel universe (dc too) only have a week of normalcy before a villain almost destroys the world, a country or a major city

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, really curious how the game plays outside of just the campaign missions. Like, are there more open areas to explore, like Destiny's Planets? But, more importantly, will there be enough content at launch. 80 of those War Zones things sounds like a lot, but If they can be completed in 5-10 minutes, or if they are just campaign missions restructured, I could see that getting tiring.

Also wondering if they have anything like Destiny's Nightfalls. Longer, more difficult versions of these War Zone things.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think about it
In Avengers Moon Knight took over the world but you know no one is ever going to talk about it outside the book
Also in between events Vampires were going rampage around the world and killed God know how many people not accounting what other major story arc in another book like there's supposed to be a robot uprising in iron man books that no one talks about besides iron man

Just assume marvel universe (dc too) only have a week of normalcy before a villain almost destroys the world, a country or a major city

I just think it's funny. And in NYC in between these the city will be erupting into a massive riot because of Sin-Eater.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, really curious how the game plays outside of just the campaign missions. Like, are there more open areas to explore, like Destiny's Planets? But, more importantly, will there be enough content at launch. 80 of those War Zones things sounds like a lot, but If they can be completed in 5-10 minutes, or if they are just campaign missions restructured, I could see that getting tiring.

Also wondering if they have anything like Destiny's Nightfalls. Longer, more difficult versions of these War Zone things.
There are longer War Zones. There are two in the beta, one is a more linear affair with some exploring, and the other is more open, with a number of points of interest.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Really wish Avengers had cross-progression, would've played on PC then continued on PS5

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel should wholesale rip off the 52 event after the big Knull event, and send main books one year ahead then have a book about the year in between.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I just think it's funny. And in NYC in between these the city will be erupting into a massive riot because of Sin-Eater.
Hells Kitchen almost got wiped off the map this month lol
Everywhere else gets aliens they get bunch of villains almost reducing their population to 0
Marvel should wholesale rip off the 52 event after the big Knull event, and send main books one year ahead then have a book about the year in between.
52 is just an Avengers No Road Home rip off

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
X-Men: Inferno Omnibus confirmed to include the content from the Inferno OHC and the Inferno Crossovers OHC. No Inferno Prologue issues.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I'm really bummed about Dr Strange to be honest. I thought it was one of the best books Marvel was putting out.
Same, I'm pretty bummed. The relaunch didn't have a chance to quite find it's footing, but hey I really enjoyed what I read so far. At leats #6 (another good issue) ended somewhat nicely with most of the threads tied up. I do wish we would see who sent the secret messages and why druid got rezzed though

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope what they did to Jen in this event leads to some dope use of her in Ewing's series, it'd work pretty well if he decided to swing in that direction of her recovering from it

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hells Kitchen almost got wiped off the map this month lol
Everywhere else gets aliens they get bunch of villains almost reducing their population to 0

52 is just an Avengers No Road Home rip off
I didn't like No Road Home as much as No Surrender. The ending was nice with the journey for vision, and maybe I'd enjoy it as trade instead of issue...but it was hard to follow at times cause it'd introduce concepts and drop them, and the antagonist was lame as hell Hela type.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like No Road Home as much as No Surrender. The ending was nice with the journey for vision, and maybe I'd enjoy it as trade instead of issue...but it was hard to follow at times cause it'd introduce concepts and drop them, and the antagonist was lame as hell Hela type.
I meant No Surrender i mixed up the titles

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Empyre isn't bad. I just can't bring myself to care for some reason.

Though Empyre X-Men is really, really fun. Magik and Hordeculture are the best thing about this entire event.

This seems like more essential reading than last week's mainline X-men book for the franchise. Wanda's zombies, Hordeculture, Magik getting her armor back, and FUCKING SHADOW KING is on Krakoa.

Last edited:

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Though Empyre X-Men is really, really fun. Magik and Hordeculture are the best thing about this entire event.

This seems like more essential reading than last week's mainline X-men book for the franchise. Wanda's zombies, Hordeculture, Magik getting her armor back, and FUCKING SHADOW KING is on Krakoa.
The highlight of the event so far.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
The moondragon focus in GOTG #5 really got me invested in a character I didn't care for before. I like the conflict between the "perfect" and "real" versions, and the panelling during their interactions is fantastic. The scenes of the "fight" playing out are also fun and snappy.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
lol @ tony building an FF armour in empyre #4. And yep, reed has to work on his priorities
Best part of the issue was the scenes with Jen. They are so reminiscent of immortal hulk with the full-on body horror . No wonder there'll be a post-even she-hulk one-shot as she's dead and will likely tie in with the TOBA stuff ewing is messing with in immortal hulk
The wedding came out of the blue for me. I don't recall seeing it elsewhere, and it feels wasted if it's only one panel? We'll see though

I think Empyre feels smaller than it was meant to be, especially since most of the tie-ins are cancelled. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing though, given it was mainly meant to just set up marvel's new space age or whatever it is

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
lol @ tony building an FF armour in empyre #4. And yep, reed has to work on his priorities
Best part of the issue was the scenes with Jen. They are so reminiscent of immortal hulk with the full-on body horror . No wonder there'll be a post-even she-hulk one-shot as she's dead and will likely tie in with the TOBA stuff ewing is messing with in immortal hulk
honestly I was just laughing out loud seeing how much the cotati are bragging about taking over a dead hulk, like "yeah, sure, congrats! you did it! hulks are very much known for staying dead forever now! this will NEVER bite you in the ass!"

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
what do y'all think the shadow king orders to drink at the tiki bar?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Deadpool's right. The X-men are snooty fascists who won't let anyone in their secret club.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Echoing those saying empyre x-men #2 is really fun. Hordeculture was an absolute blast to read this issue

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. New samsung tablet with a nice 16:10 ratio. Much smaller black bars for comics!

12.4" 16:10 gives you a 10.5" x 6.6" usable area.

12.9" (iPad) gives you a 10.3" x 7.8" usable area.

US Comics are 10.25" x 6.65". Almost 1:1 with the S7+.

EU comics are 11.6" x 8.4" might scale a little better on the iPad.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
The moondragon focus in GOTG #5 really got me invested in a character I didn't care for before. I like the conflict between the "perfect" and "real" versions, and the panelling during their interactions is fantastic. The scenes of the "fight" playing out are also fun and snappy.

I haven't read this issue yet but didn't Athena seem to hint that the original Phyla is coming back?

I want to see Ewing the legend fix the worst part of the DnA cosmic saga.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading a CBR post someone made compiling all the terrible things Emma Frost had done in her history.

It was a lot.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Emma go crazy and kill a bunch of Inhumans? And then was going to do ...something with kid Cyclops? Not that I'm complaining they've ignored all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.