• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Bendis walked back that comment.
Which one? I layered in multiple.
I've never really noticed this. I can't speak for their efforts outside of comics, but they're notable sales would suggest that they must be doing some advertising to people who aren't regularly following comics.
Well I'm sure as pointed out above that the Scholastic crowd eats that chunk, but why DC isn't also trying to push these to its mainstream crowd and bring the talent inwards if possible is mind-boggling.

Primer and The Oracle Code were outstanding reads from people who I've never seen get much if any work from within the industry. Harley Quinn Breaking Glass and Superman Smashes the Klan were outstanding, but from industry vets. Green Lantern Legacy was good, and also from industry newbies as well (as far as I could tell). DC not working this is odd. Plus they're dojng graphic novel adaptions of their novels (Nightwalker, Tidebreaker, Dawnbringer, etc).

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Which one? I layered in multiple.

Well I'm sure as pointed out above that the Scholastic crowd eats that chunk, but why DC isn't also trying to push these to its mainstream crowd and bring the talent inwards if possible is mind-boggling.

Primer and The Oracle Code were outstanding reads from people who I've never seen get much if any work from within the industry. Harley Quinn Breaking Glass and Superman Smashes the Klan were outstanding, but from industry vets. Green Lantern Legacy was good, and also from industry newbies as well (as far as I could tell). DC not working this is odd. Plus they're dojng graphic novel adaptions of their novels (Nightwalker, Tidebreaker, Dawnbringer, etc).

I could see him leaving the book next year, but it's still a ways off.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I think Fraction on Flash could be brilliant just because the glimpses we got at him writing Spider-Man were great. Don't know how he'd handle Barry but those franchises seem to scratch a lot of the same itches at times.

Fuck, either him or Zdarsky would write the hell out of the Rogues.
Fraction's Flash was just a random off the cuff statement, but I do think he'd write the hell out of it.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Hm, first couple issues of the new suicide squad for a buck each due to the Harley sale. Might look at Breaking Glass too.

Guess Harleen isn't on sale this time.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
I just find it funny DCs Future involves some of Marvel's past.
It's the cyclical nature of things.

Nick Spencer was a DC guy before the New 52 torpedoed a lot of his plans. He and RB Silva had an amazing run with Jimmy Olsen. Now one is writing Spider-Man and the other was the artist for Hickman's flagship X-men relaunch.

Shit, I still want Nick Spencer's Young Justice.

2941134-reeder-supergirl_02.jpg

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Nick Spencer was a DC guy before the New 52 torpedoed a lot of his plans. He and RB Silva had an amazing run with Jimmy Olsen. Now one is writing Spider-Man and the other was the artist for Hickman's flagship X-men relaunch.

Don't remind me. I was really looking forward to that pitch.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

That is a cool idea for a team. Was this image just for a pitch or did something ever happen with this group of characters?

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can we make a run where superman flies around the planet to catch up with wally west in past and undoes HEROES IN CRISIS and everything after?

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
That is a cool idea for a team. Was this image just for a pitch or did something ever happen with this group of characters?
It was a pitch for his Supergirl run that was scrapped because of the New 52 relaunch. I don't remember all the details but he was going to use it to make Kara a leader. Blue Beetle and Miss Martian were supposed to be a pair. Impulse was going to have the biggest crush on Damian. Damian would continue to torture Steph. It sounded perfect and was a backdoor pilot for a Young Justice relaunch at the time..

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.

YO WHAT?!

He had plans for a Young Justice with that teamup?!

It was a pitch for his Supergirl run that was scrapped because of the New 52 relaunch. I don't remember all the details but he was going to use it to make Kara a leader. Blue Beetle and Miss Martian were supposed to be a pair. Impulse was going to have the biggest crush on Damian. Damian would continue to torture Steph. It sounded perfect and was a backdoor pilot for a Young Justice relaunch at the time..

Fuuuuuuu- This would have been so damn promising.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
nickspencerly.tumblr.com

by the amazing Amy Reeder– the unpublished cover... | time to spare

by the amazing Amy Reeder– the unpublished cover for SUPERGIRL 62. Would’ve been fun. Actually, figure it’s way past time I told you what the plan was, right? The idea for the story was pretty simple: Kara learns how to be a leader. She had, to that point, been almost exclusively used...

Basically in 2010 DC editorial didn't like this pitch and what he was giving them and his run ended up not even being a full issue because of it. He ended up signing an exclusive deal with Marvel with him saying that Marvel "loved what he was doing more". His one issue ended up being well received by fans, but it was too late because he already signed the Marvel deal.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
nickspencerly.tumblr.com

by the amazing Amy Reeder– the unpublished cover... | time to spare

by the amazing Amy Reeder– the unpublished cover for SUPERGIRL 62. Would’ve been fun. Actually, figure it’s way past time I told you what the plan was, right? The idea for the story was pretty simple: Kara learns how to be a leader. She had, to that point, been almost exclusively used...

Basically in 2010 DC editorial didn't like this pitch and what he was giving them and his run ended up not even being a full issue because of it. He ended up signing an exclusive deal with Marvel with him saying that Marvel "loved what he was doing more". His one issue ended up being well received by fans, but it was too late because he already signed the Marvel deal.
Yeah that reeks of Dan DiDlo.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
I think I remember the art teams he said he had lined up were Amy Reeder, Bernard Chang, and RB Silva. Though at the time he was also writing Morning Glories, Thunder Agents, Iron Man 2.0, and preparing to take over Secret Avengers from Brubaker. He was spread really damn thin between three publishers.

It stings so much.

Yeah that reeks of Dan DiDlo.
That era of Superman was an editorial shit-show. It was also the same time that JMS was doing his "Superman takes a walk" story.

Last edited:

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure it would've been full of unrealized potential and the most unremarkably bland ending.

Anyways is ANY of the 2000-2004 Harley Quinn stuff worth snagging? There's 4 volumes of it up on CMX because of a HQ sale and Imma tempted. I mean it's Karl Kesel and Terry Dodson for three volumes and then AJ Lieberman for the 4th so I may just bite

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Hm, first couple issues of the new suicide squad for a buck each due to the Harley sale. Might look at Breaking Glass too.

Guess Harleen isn't on sale this time.
Ooh. Thanks for mentioning this. DC won't give me that linewide issue sale I want, so I'll just keep grabbing stuff piecemeal as I'm able. Just bought the first two Suicide Squad issues.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
I can't speak to the Lieberman issues but the Kesel/Dodson stuff that I've read was entertaining.

Back when Dodson used to put forth more effort...

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've used Blackwells for a number of orders and had no complaints, although I suppose their packaging isn't any different to Amazon or other UK retailers, randomluck what condition your books arrive in. I guess I haven't had cause to deal with their customer service yet so maybe that's the issue?
Hmm, maybe I'll consider giving them a go then. Thanks.

I see Amazon UK have it in stock again now as well so at least I have some options.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a few months and Marvel might ship some across the Atlantic. My DC omnibuses are shipping on time, Marvel omnibuses I've ordered have all been hit by month long delays.
Yeah you might be right.
It feels like there is no stock at all. But there is also no dates or information on what is happening.
Its not like the date has slipped, here's the new date. Just nothing.
So frustrating. You just don't know what to do.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah you might be right.
It feels like there is no stock at all. But there is also no dates or information on what is happening.
Its not like the date has slipped, here's the new date. Just nothing.
So frustrating. You just don't know what to do.
It's incredibly annoying, I think it's best to try and forget about it though. Leave the order on your account and give them a few months to get their act together. Marvel have never been timely on getting omnibuses out in the UK but it's been noticably worse since corona.Two big Marvel omnibuses I've had sent this year- JMS Spider-Man Volume 2 and Uncanny X-Force took three months and five months respectively to arrive after their initial release date. My Preacher Volume 1 omnibus reprint though was dispatched ahead of the release date by Speedyhen and is supposed to arrive today.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It's incredibly annoying, I think it's best to try and forget about it though. Leave the order on your account and give them a few months to get their act together. Marvel have never been timely on getting omnibuses out in the UK but it's been noticably worse since corona.Two big Marvel omnibuses I've had sent this year- JMS Spider-Man Volume 2 and Uncanny X-Force took three months and five months respectively to arrive after their initial release date. My Preacher Volume 1 omnibus reprint though was dispatched ahead of the release date by Speedyhen and is supposed to arrive today.
Yeah that's what I'm going to do. I've just left the order up and will hope for the best.
The message I got back from them when I asked what was going on basically said they also have no info from their suppliers as to what's happening either. Nobody knows.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Bendis hasn't announced any new books for his imprint in a while. I wonder when that will come.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
His incarnation of Booster Gold is a dangerous idiot who causes more damage when he is trying to be heroic.
that's wholly out of character for booster gold, a famously, straightforwardly, wholly heroic guy, always thinking of the long-term impact of his actions, always known for being serious and careful, truly the most responsible hero in the whole of DC Comics' history

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
that's wholly out of character for booster gold, a famously, straightforwardly, wholly heroic guy, always thinking of the long-term impact of his actions, always known for being serious and careful, truly the most responsible hero in the whole of DC Comics' history

The guy was making childish fart jokes after seeing Hal blew his head off. This is blatant character derailment.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Booster Gold ain't shit and he needs to get the fuck away from Harley.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Booster Gold is 10 times the character harley is, but that's mainly because while Harley has been thrown into a hero role and journey without making it logical and allowing her to fully grab her identity (cause marketting), Booster Gold's potential hasn't even begun to be mined yet and from day one has been pure gold.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I both am really enjoying the Kirby Fourth World Absolutely and can't seems to manage read it over extended periods of time. I'm way into New Gods and Mister Miracle, but the Jimmy issues in particular are way dry and I don't even know what's going on with Forever People. Crazy that Kirby is creating all this lore across these handful of comics, though.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I got the first 2 issues of Tom Taylor SS from the sale, but even with the sale Breaking Glass is only a few bucks cheaper then Amazon. For the price, I think I'd rather get it physical.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Booster Gold is 10 times the character harley is, but that's mainly because while Harley has been thrown into a hero role and journey without making it logical and allowing her to fully grab her identity (cause marketting), Booster Gold's potential hasn't even begun to be mined yet and from day one has been pure gold.
Normally I'm not the staunchest defender of Harley, but she's had some high quality stories lately. Just because Booster Gold hasn't had as many stories (two solo runs, Justice League International, and some time on another team if I'm not mistaken, yeah?) doesn't mean he's a better character.

Also Harley's never been fully in the hero role, and that's part of the character's charm is how chaotic she is.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I both am really enjoying the Kirby Fourth World Absolutely and can't seems to manage read it over extended periods of time. I'm way into New Gods and Mister Miracle, but the Jimmy issues in particular are way dry and I don't even know what's going on with Forever People. Crazy that Kirby is creating all this lore across these handful of comics, though.

Nice, my copy finally arrived this weekend. Think I'll wait for the second volume to land before diving in though.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Normally I'm not the staunchest defender of Harley, but she's had some high quality stories lately. Just because Booster Gold hasn't had as many stories (two solo runs, Justice League International, and some time on another team if I'm not mistaken, yeah?) doesn't mean he's a better character.

Also Harley's never been fully in the hero role, and that's part of the character's charm is how chaotic she is.
She's in the justice league or at least part of it. Also Booster Gold is more complex, or at very least, treated more complex then Harley is for most part (except for a few stand out works of late). Also there is the fact she was forced in an abusive identity and then sticks with it for marketing when she's naturally go and make her own.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I've tried my best to like Harley as a character, and I just can't.
I'm fine with her. Like I said she's had some quality stories lately. My issue is that now she's a core pillar of the Birds of Prey so when that series tries to get rebooted, which probably won't happen any time soon now thanks to Azzarello and Connor/Palmiotti, she'll probably be central to it. She was even part of Simone's one-shot story in the giant-sized.
She's in the justice league or at least part of it. Also Booster Gold is more complex, or at very least, treated more complex then Harley is for most part (except for a few stand out works of late). Also there is the fact she was forced in an abusive identity and then sticks with it for marketing when she's naturally go and make her own.
When is she in the Justice League? And explain the underlined because I'm not sure what that means. You keep talking about marketing as if that's a mark against character development, but that sounds like an issue with DC Comics as a company overall.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with her. Like I said she's had some quality stories lately. My issue is that now she's a core pillar of the Birds of Prey so when that series tries to get rebooted, which probably won't happen any time soon now thanks to Azzarello and Connor/Palmiotti, she'll probably be central to it. She was even part of Simone's one-shot story in the giant-sized.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When is she in the Justice League? And explain the underlined because I'm not sure what that means. You keep talking about marketing as if that's a mark against character development, but that sounds like an issue with DC Comics as a company overall.
Harley Quinn is forced in an identity by the joker, by warping her mind and abusing her in a low point, crafting her into something he wanted. Nowadays they try to write it off as her escaping abuse and taking the identity as her own, but that never sits right with me. The batman beyond concept of her taking off the makeup (when it was just makeup) or changing into an identity made more sense and more freeing. But Harley sells as is, and we want her to be a hero so she's easier to sell, so just have harley decide to do good I guess.

Also
superman-19.jpg

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The Forever People is the secret best Fourth World title. The stuff with Glorious Godfrey and the Justifiers is brilliant and eerily prescient. The Daily Beast of all places did a great write up on it back in 2016 and how closely it mirrored Trump and the MAGA cult - https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-j...ted-trump-with-a-bloviating-demagogue-in-1971

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Harley Quinn is forced in an identity by the joker, by warping her mind and abusing her in a low point, crafting her into something he wanted. Nowadays they try to write it off as her escaping abuse and taking the identity as her own, but that never sits right with me. The batman beyond concept of her taking off the makeup (when it was just makeup) or changing into an identity made more sense and more freeing. But Harley sells as is, and we want her to be a hero so she's easier to sell, so just have harley decide to do good I guess.

Also
superman-19.jpg
This is just weird to me.
Here's all these heroes and multiple murderer Harley Quinn, who helped the Joker commit countless atrocities. I'm all for redemption, but this shot is just bizarre.

I used to like Harley quite a lot, but since she became DC's poster girl and shoved into everything whether it makes sense or not, I've come to dislike her more and more.
The only Harley stories I've really liked are the non canon stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.