• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Many comic store owners/workers are definitely... interesting. (At least the US ones I have been to). The Simpsons caricatures are not super exaggerated.
I was once shamed by a Sun Entertainment manager for buying DBZ dvds. Think it was the Buu Saga lol.

I was with a couple friends and we wanted to watch the end of the series, after growing up watching the show on Toonami. The manager was giving me shit for not buying "real" anime. Dude should have been happy we were buying it at all. Back in those days people didnt pay retail prices for anime usually lol.

Didnt go back there after that, accept to maybe buy the newest CKY dvd.

Think I still have my Chinese knockoff Naruto dvds that I got off eBay

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Didnt go back there after that, accept to maybe buy the newest CKY dvd.
lol I think I got the box set at Media Play. 16 y/o me loved that and Jackass. Haven't thought about it in years.

But I also don't doubt they were assholes about DBZ. It seems like gate keeping is the norm for most people who sell media. I made a very conscious effort to never do that when I sold comics and video games. Selling comics in a very progressive record store definitely helped, but every once in awhile you'd get a customer trying to get themselves in an embarrassing argument over nothing

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Gunna try and pre-order that Analogue Gameboy thing tomorrow. But man, im not super thrilled with the idea of having to wait almost a year for it to ship.

Nintendo really should have just done an actual virtual console for the Switch.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
42iGVHa.png

I was so engrossed with this series earlier today, that I had to shove aside my phone so I can do other stuff lol.

This might very well be my new favorite manga if it holds up well. XD

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
The art in Witch Hat Atelier is really fantastic.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
rOjCist.jpg

I like how this manga is essentially just tournament arcs but this is, like, a proper tournament arc.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Do you happen to have a reading order for Carey's X-men?
I know he wrote for a long time over several different titles.
I'll try with what's collected. I think the only person to have a longer tenure than Carey is Claremont, so that says a lot.

He started on X-Men #188 with "Supernovas," which is looking to be a huge influence on Hickman. Bachalo is on art and it's fantastic. Rogue leads one of my favorite line-ups ever: Rogue, Mystique, Iceman, Cannonball, Sabretooth, Lady Mastermind, Omega Sentinel, and Cable. The team is half villains and about to blow up at any time, Iceman and Cannonball are great bros, Sabretooth is a complete bastard, and
Iceman/Mystique is still a ship worth sailing. Sorry.

Blinded By The Light
Endangered Species
Messiah Complex

After Messiah Complex, Marvel renames the book "X-Men Legacy." Carey begins to focus on Professor X. Great character work, deep dives into rehabilitation for Xavier after being a dick. Also lays the foundation for Gillen's reinvention of Mr. Sinister.
Divided He Stands
Sins of the Father
Salvage

Carey then switches back to Rogue.
Emplate
Necrosha
Second Coming
Collision

Then we get to Age of X, which is a brilliant little Alternate Universe romp.
Aftermath
Lost Legions
Five Miles South of the Universe

There's also X-Men: No More Humans which is an OGN and set sometime later. I haven't read it and can't speak to the quality.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's also X-Men: No More Humans which is an OGN and set sometime later. I haven't read it and can't speak to the quality.

I forgot about that OGN. It didn't really stick with me. I remember it released durin Bendis' run and didn't jive with what was happening at the time with X-Men. Same with the Avengers OGN. But the Avengers one has long lasting impact because of Pym/Ultron I think?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Many comic store owners/workers are definitely... interesting. (At least the US ones I have been to). The Simpsons caricatures are not super exaggerated.
What Tom B. advocates for seems a bit too "every comic we have is great", however. There should be a happy middle ground in which stores are honest enough with their opinions so that customers will trust them and pay attention to their suggestions rather than see them as mindless shills. That's certainly not the same as berating a customer for buying a comic or saying it'll give them AIDS, however, as obviously that's ridiculous.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I've not read much Flash or have much knowledge of the character(s) beyond basics, so imagine my shock when I started Final Crisis only to learn the fate of Bart and Inertia. Two characters I know nothing about. Damn at Inertia's punishment.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Rogue's team is singlehandedly the best X team of all time and you all can fuck off if you disagree

97a557fab104965459950cabe096b611.jpg

Even though Sabertooth and Lady Mastermind should be switched on there.
I just watched all of Arkham City's cutscenes on Youtube. What a fucking game honestly. Vivdly remember that after Arkham Asylum blowing me away by surprise, I was so hyped for this game. I was really anxious because although AA was superb, I thought it might be a fluke and maybe Rocksteady won't be able to reach those heights again. Oh my god I was sooo wrong to even have the slightest doubt.
Top 5 game of all time
The first game is always the best one for me but Arkham City is a worthy successor. The only issue I had with the game was that the open-world setting was a bit not open-world. It was filled with thugs only.At least with AC I can understand, but Gotham in Arkham Knight should have been full of people.
What was the plot reason for the streets being empty again? Arkham City was full of thugs because it was a prison, Arkham Origins was empty because of the combination of the weather and it being a holiday, but what was AK? The fear gas outbreak doesn't happen until much later so...

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just remembered that Duggan is a destiny guy, wonder what he thinks of the Avengers game

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
What was the plot reason for the streets being empty again? Arkham City was full of thugs because it was a prison, Arkham Origins was empty because of the combination of the weather and it being a holiday, but what was AK? The fear gas outbreak doesn't happen until much later so...

IIRC it was an evacuation due to scarecrow making a threat on the city following the fear gas intro in the diner that drove everyone crazy and to murder each other.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, read through Rucka's Checkmate, and it was okay, but didn't really fully hook me. Felt like it had a bit too much going on that made it seem a little unfocused (along with tying so much into other stuff, like "here's the Outsiders!" or "Okay, time for the Suicide Squad to get involved!"), plus like... I just don't think Kobra as a threat to be taken seriously ever really works for me. As a joke villain or short one-off generic terrorist sub in, whatever, but like... they were the main villains here pretty much, and I just find them so uninteresting for whatever reason. They've just never really done anything for me.

My bigger takeaway, though is... what exactly bridges the gap here between Sasha Bordeaux's story in Detective Comics and her time here? It seems to be at least partially, if not entirely, Infinite Crisis stuff, but I don't really recall any of it. Honestly not sure if that's because it was some tie in stuff I haven't read/haven't read recently, or just because I wasn't familiar with the character at the time, though...

Also, started Gail Simone's Birds of Prey, and man... just 6 issues in, and it already just obliterates Dixon's entire run on the book easily. Such a huge, huge step up, and looking forward to reading the rest of the run!

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Huh, read through Rucka's Checkmate, and it was okay, but didn't really fully hook me. Felt like it had a bit too much going on that made it seem a little unfocused (along with tying so much into other stuff, like "here's the Outsiders!" or "Okay, time for the Suicide Squad to get involved!"), plus like... I just don't think Kobra as a threat to be taken seriously ever really works for me. As a joke villain or short one-off generic terrorist sub in, whatever, but like... they were the main villains here pretty much, and I just find them so uninteresting for whatever reason. They've just never really done anything for me.

My bigger takeaway, though is... what exactly bridges the gap here between Sasha Bordeaux's story in Detective Comics and her time here? It seems to be at least partially, if not entirely, Infinite Crisis stuff, but I don't really recall any of it. Honestly not sure if that's because it was some tie in stuff I haven't read/haven't read recently, or just because I wasn't familiar with the character at the time, though...

Also, started Gail Simone's Birds of Prey, and man... just 6 issues in, and it already just obliterates Dixon's entire run on the book easily. Such a huge, huge step up, and looking forward to reading the rest of the run!
I think Sasha Bordeaux's involved in the OMAC Project mini surrounding Infinite Crisis.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I've had overwhelmingly negative experiences from gatekeepers, misogynists, and just generally unfriendly assholes. My college town had a comic shop, and the owner yelled at me on the phone for calling and asking if my shipment came in like a week after he said it would... and that's my favorite comic shop in the state hahaha.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'll try with what's collected. I think the only person to have a longer tenure than Carey is Claremont, so that says a lot.

He started on X-Men #188 with "Supernovas," which is looking to be a huge influence on Hickman. Bachalo is on art and it's fantastic. Rogue leads one of my favorite line-ups ever: Rogue, Mystique, Iceman, Cannonball, Sabretooth, Lady Mastermind, Omega Sentinel, and Cable. The team is half villains and about to blow up at any time, Iceman and Cannonball are great bros, Sabretooth is a complete bastard, and
Iceman/Mystique is still a ship worth sailing. Sorry.

Blinded By The Light
Endangered Species
Messiah Complex

After Messiah Complex, Marvel renames the book "X-Men Legacy." Carey begins to focus on Professor X. Great character work, deep dives into rehabilitation for Xavier after being a dick. Also lays the foundation for Gillen's reinvention of Mr. Sinister.
Divided He Stands
Sins of the Father
Salvage

Carey then switches back to Rogue.
Emplate
Necrosha
Second Coming
Collision

Then we get to Age of X, which is a brilliant little Alternate Universe romp.
Aftermath
Lost Legions
Five Miles South of the Universe

Thanks dude. It seems like the Legacy part hasn't been collected super well. Lots of small trades.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I pre-ordered UXF last October and Amazon UK finally dispatched it yesterday. For a lot of omnibuses, you just need to get a pre-order in early and hope.
I still have a vague hope that the place I ordered Uncanny X-men volume 1 will finally get their stock in and I might get one. Not much hope mind. Sigh.
I suspect the covid situation has fucked up supply lines.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
yo is Brubaker's The Winter Soldier standalone if you never read his Captain America stuff?

i'm in the mood for TWS/Black Widow stuff, so I kind of want to skip right to TWS.

Rogue's team is singlehandedly the best X team of all time and you all can fuck off if you disagree

97a557fab104965459950cabe096b611.jpg

Even though Sabertooth and Lady Mastermind should be switched on there.

Top 5 game of all time

so glad more people are reading Carey's X-Men run

i still feel that stretch of post-no more mutants x-comics is one of my favorite comic runs. messiah, carey, x-force, etc. so damn good. i think you were the one who helped me with that reading list - i'm in your debt!

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like X-men have had a lot of good extended runs in the fairly recent times.
Morrison, Whedon, Carey, David, Aaron, Remender and now Hickman.
Loads of great stuff.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
What did Aaron do besides Wolverine & the X-Men? I loved that book for a few issues, but hated how it got all messed up from the events.
I was mainly thinking of Wolverine and the X-men. But you are right that Marvel did fuck over that great book with crappy event tie-ins.
A reoccurring problem they have.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
yo is Brubaker's The Winter Soldier standalone if you never read his Captain America stuff?

i'm in the mood for TWS/Black Widow stuff, so I kind of want to skip right to TWS.
He's more of a guest star but Winter Soldier plays a pretty big part in the Waid/Samnee Black Widow series from a few years ago and it's really good.
I was mainly thinking of Wolverine and the X-men. But you are right that Marvel did fuck over that great book with crappy event tie-ins.
A reoccurring problem they have.
Yup, it was awful in Wolverine and the X-Men. I seem to remember putting up with crossover bullshit for like half the run. Someone else mentioned Legacy had a similar problem and they're right but it felt way worse in WatXM

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

haha, well, sort of. see, all of Brubaker's captain America stuff is winter soldier stuff. so if you want the check it out, it's really easy to begin. just captain America #1. but, it's also all one story. so once you start, you can basically read as much of it as you want or like and the "winter soldier" plotline won't end until the very end of brubaker's work. which is... around 150 issues. but yeah, the "biggest" and imo best stuff largely happens in the first 50 issues and can be dropped. it just gets more comic booky from there anyway.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

so glad more people are reading Carey's X-Men run

i still feel that stretch of post-no more mutants x-comics is one of my favorite comic runs. messiah, carey, x-force, etc. so damn good. i think you were the one who helped me with that reading list - i'm in your debt!
Kyle & Yost's X-Force is some top tier comics

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
haha, well, sort of. see, all of Brubaker's captain America stuff is winter soldier stuff. so if you want the check it out, it's really easy to begin. just captain America #1. but, it's also all one story. so once you start, you can basically read as much of it as you want or like and the "winter soldier" plotline won't end until the very end of brubaker's work. which is... around 150 issues. but yeah, the "biggest" and imo best stuff largely happens in the first 50 issues and can be dropped. it just gets more comic booky from there anyway.
I think he meant the actual Winter Soldier series that Brubaker wrote towards the end of his Cap run.

I havent read that stuff yet, so im not sure how well it reads without any of the Cap stuff. I mean I assume its alright if you know what happened in Cap.

Amazon.com

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
He's more of a guest star but Winter Soldier plays a pretty big part in the Waid/Samnee Black Widow series from a few years ago and it's really good.
I think he meant the actual Winter Soldier series that Brubaker wrote towards the end of his Cap run.

I havent read that stuff yet, so im not sure how well it reads without any of the Cap stuff. I mean I assume its alright if you know what happened in Cap.

Amazon.com

Right, I'm just talking about that collection specifically. I know the gist of what happened to Cap, and I want to read that Waid/Samnee BW book but want to read the Brubaker collection first to get more of their early relationship

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Right, I'm just talking about that collection specifically. I know the gist of what happened to Cap, and I want to read that Waid/Samnee BW book but want to read the Brubaker collection first to get more of their early relationship
Remender also did a short Winter Soldier stint, but im not sure if Black Widow is in it.

Then towards the end of Marvel Legacy, there was that team up book where Winter Soldier was looking for Black Widow after Secret Empire. Think it was in Tales of Suspence.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
The art in Witch Hat Atelier is really fantastic.
lol I told you. That manga is incredible. I really need to read more. But the art is really gorgeous and it strikes me as one of those series you could recommend to non-manga readers pretty easily.

also happy belated birthday freeza

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Remender also did a short Winter Soldier stint, but im not sure if Black Widow is in it.

Then towards the end of Marvel Legacy, there was that team up book where Winter Soldier was looking for Black Widow after Secret Empire. Think it was in Tales of Suspence.

ohh yes, Rosenbergs book - thats on my list too

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Mint Condition Marvel OHCs and Omnibus Reprints for early 2021 -- make sure to give Omar a view before checking out the list!

OHCs
Immortal Hulk Vol. 3
Marvels Snapshots
Fantasy Four by Slott Vol. 1
Avengers by Aaron Vol. 1
Daredevil by Zdarsky Vol. 1

Omnibus Reprints
Golden Age Captain America Vol. 1
Captain America by Jack Kirby Omnibus
Untold Tales of Spider-Man Omnibus
Amazing Spider-Man by Roger Stern
X-Men Inferno Omnibus (new format)

HELL YES

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Harley Quinn Breaking Glass is top notch comics

Finally finished it

Seriously. Not as good as Harleen, but still definitely up there. 2019 was the Year of Harley Quinn apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.