• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I can't imagine what it must of been like reading the clone saga as it came out.
Peter's got a clone. Wait Peter IS the clone! Wait no he isn't, Norman's back lol.
Only it went on for like 3 years.
It was revolting. Also, Ben did NOT work. I like him as a character now, but at the time it was just so stupid. But Kaine was cool even if his weird veiny design was ugly.

spiderferi

Apr 15, 2018
Tehran, Iran
misogyny in casting culture that disregards age in men but demands youth and beauty above all else for women and the culture around manga and anime that drives those expectations for female characters.
It's not even unqiue to Japan either, Japan has this issue on steroid but most of American actresses won't find good jobs after they go near 35. Most get Mom acts after they hit 44~45.

It was revolting. Also, Ben did NOT work. I like him as a character now, but at the time it was just so stupid. But Kaine was cool even if his weird veiny design was ugly.

Kane was so Spawny it's funny. They really wanted to bank on MacFarlane's previous association with Spider-Man. He's the most likeable clone tho. That big clone guy who died at the end of the saga was horrible.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I cant believe they seriously considered revealing that the Peter you have been reading about for years was actually a clone.
But I also think they had no idea what they were doing half the time back then.
But it brought my best boy Norman back so I am eternally grateful it ended as it did.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cant believe they seriously considered revealing that the Peter you have been reading about for years was actually a clone.
But it brought my best boy Norman back so I am eternally grateful it ended as it did.

It was for the purpose of getting rid of boring adult married Peter in favour of swingin' single Ben Reilly.

Everyone at Marvel was fine with jettisoning 20 years of continuity if it mean turning Peter into a child again. At this rate they might physicall de-age him at some point.

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

They didn't just consider it. Ben was the original for months. And the internet was brand new, we had wizard to eventually tell most people that peter was coming back.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't just consider it. Ben was the original for months. And the internet was brand new, we had wizard to eventually tell most people that peter was coming back.
I know they did it. But my mind cant really comprehend that they intended to stick with the Peter as the clone idea forever.
It was for the purpose of getting rid of boring adult married Peter in favour of swingin' single Ben Reilly.

Everyone at Marvel was fine with jettisoning 20 years of continuity if it mean turning Peter into a child again. At this rate they might physicall de-age him at some point.
Although this is the company that had Peter sell his marriage to the devil, just so he could be a swingin single again.
So all bets are off.

I fundamentally disagree with the idea that married Peter would suddenly become boring or impossible to write for.
Superman has been married for twenty years plus at this point.
And it didn't slow him down any.
Marvel are full of shite on this matter.

Last edited:

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Is Rob Liefeld old enough that we can Okay Boomer him?

At the end of the day, Liefeld didn't create Deadpool. He created a Deathstroke knock off with big guns and zero personality. Joe Kelly created Deadpool by taking Liefeld's joke of a character and adding personality to him.

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I know they did it. But my mind cant really comprehend that they intended to stick with the Peter as the clone idea forever.

Although this is the company that had Peter sell his marriage to the devil, just so he could be a swingin single again.
So all bets are off.
Marvel was so afraid of peter getting old that the royally fucked him up many times.

the true answer the their problem is Miles. Not ruining Peter.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel was so afraid of peter getting old that the royally fucked him up many times.

the true answer the their problem is Miles. Not ruining Peter.
This is true. Miles can be as free and single as they want.
Let Peter be married. Let him have a kid.
In my mind this opens up vast new narrative options that haven't been explored with Spider-man yet. It doesn't close them.

I have this wild hope that Kindred is Peter's child that Norman stole years ago grown up and pissed off. Wont happen. But boy would it be interesting.

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is true. Miles can be as free and single as they want.
Let Peter be married. Let him have a kid.
In my mind this opens up vast new narrative options that haven't been explored with Spider-man yet. It doesn't close them.

I have this wild hope that Kindred is Peter's child that Norman stole years ago grown up and pissed off. Wont happen. But boy would it be interesting.

I'm behind on Spidey. Maybe I should catch up now that kindred may be revealed.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm behind on Spidey. Maybe I should catch up now that kindred may be revealed.
Its been a fun ride, even if the Kindred reveal has been dragged on too long.
Its looking like the reveal is happening in the same story as the Green Goblin coming back in a few issues. We know Kindred is related somehow to both Norman and Peter and he's pissed off at both, but that about all we know lol.

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just a warning (?): don't expect there to be a lot of kindred hints or reveals during your catch up

Ugh that's why I stopped. "Here's a mystery! We will provide no clues and we're gonna drag it out." Why drag out a mystery if your audience gets no real tease.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Everytime I think Liefeld can't be any dumber he finds a way. And I agree with BWoog, it was Joe Kelly who created the Deadpool everyone likes so Liefeld should shut up

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Ugh that's why I stopped. "Here's a mystery! We will provide no clues and we're gonna drag it out." Why drag out a mystery if your audience gets no real tease.
I just don't care about Kindred that much. Whenever he shows up I just go "oh cool". Luckily for me the non-kindred stuff still manages to entertain

I can see how it's frustrating for someone really invested in the mystery though. For me there's just not enough to go on beyond the possibility of him/her reversing OMD somehow

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't true there have been no clues. Its just they have been spread pretty far apart.
His interactions with Norman give away quite a bit. But we just don't know enough to actually put two and two together.

spiderferi

Apr 15, 2018
Tehran, Iran
Till issue 30 everything is great, the hints are there and kindred is not going into all issues calling peter out in the shadows and cursing him. But starting from issue 30 things get a bit clumsy. Tho Spencer is a GREAT character writer, and everytime he gets to write about characters and their motivations he really shines. So even in those issues you see lots of good moments of storytelling. I'd bet if the editorial team wasn't pressing him, he wouldn't have teased kindred as much. Teasing sells.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Spencer's run is fine but would have been more suited in a secondary book like Spectacular or Friendly Neighborhood.

Can Zdarsky have ASM when we're done with Spencer? I'm itching for him to write more Peter.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
That's the one.
How can you not assume Moore is cranky?

3053.jpg
When was the last time that man had a haircut. Do snek cults not allow personal hygeine and grooming?

That reminds me, I still need to read volume 3.
I just told the TokuEra folks about it, because it's got a strong Kamen Rider vibe.
I read the first five chapters. It seems fun.

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just don't care about Kindred that much. Whenever he shows up I just go "oh cool". Luckily for me the non-kindred stuff still manages to entertain

I can see how it's frustrating for someone really invested in the mystery though. For me there's just not enough to go on beyond the possibility of him/her reversing OMD somehow
It isn't true there have been no clues. Its just they have been spread pretty far apart.
His interactions with Norman give away quite a bit. But we just don't know enough to actually put two and two together.
Till issue 30 everything is great, the hints are there and kindred is not going into all issues calling peter out in the shadows and cursing him. But starting from issue 30 things get a bit clumsy. Tho Spencer is a GREAT character writer, and everytime he gets to write about characters and their motivations he really shines. So even in those issues you see lots of good moments of storytelling. I'd bet if the editorial team wasn't pressing him, he wouldn't have teased kindred as much. Teasing sells.

I've found Spencer's spidey really tame and basic. I read up until 2020 and the best part was Boomerang but they really hadn't done much with him beyond comedy. I hear he's in it more now. Spencer just hadnt done anything super exciting for me yet. Maybe he's gun shy from "hail hydra" backlash. I'll jump back on. But my expectations are in check.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day, Liefeld didn't create Deadpool. He created a Deathstroke knock off with big guns and zero personality. Joe Kelly created Deadpool by taking Liefeld's joke of a character and adding personality to him.
Everytime I think Liefeld can't be any dumber he finds a way. And I agree with BWoog, it was Joe Kelly who created the Deadpool everyone likes so Liefeld should shut up

aabe4e0fe635e508-e1490304349905-800x400.jpg

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Liefeld is the human embodiment of salt. Reading his tweets is like watching someone rage in DotA.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Making lists on fri/sat? What even is this place any more?
I can't even remember what day of the week it is, so lists happen when they happen.
Most artists these days either can't or struggle to do a full year of books straight, so they will take issues off.
Comic artists are expected to be alot more detailed nowadays and I think that plays a factor into making the already tough grind even harder
Yeah the more detailed you get the more time it takes to complete something. And different artists work at different speeds too, so not everyone is going to be making 5-6 pages a day like Kirby did.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
whatsinaname bless me with the strength to read all my comics from the library. I have almost 40 items (including non fiction, novels, and movies, too), and they suddenly ordered a bunch of stuff for me that I couldn't pause in time. I'm trapped in a loop.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's interesting how creators now say don't write new ones for the big two, play with the toys they give you, and use your own ideas for an original indie book. I get it, but I wish the big two would come up with proper way to give incentive for people to go 100% and properly pay them for the rest of their lives. But it's warner brothers and disney, so fuck that idea I guess.
A more transparent, consistent, and equitable royalty system would be a good start. As more and more characters find their way into shows and movies it seems like a robust royalty system would be a good way to reward the creators (both writers and artists). As it is there seems to be significant disparities between how Warner and Disney handle royalties, and I'm also not sure that artists are treated as well as writers when it comes to character creations.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I'm loving harlequin animated series on hbo max any suggestions for her omnibus?

Her omnibuses are Palmiotti and Conners run and it's in the same spirit but it's nowhere near as good as the show sadly. The show is redicilously good.

If you want good Harley stories

Batman Adventures Mad Love
Harley and Ivy by Dini and Timm
Harleen by Stjepan Sejic - incredible
Harley Quinn by Sam Humphries (this is the best modern Harley stuff like the show)
Gotham City Sirens until Dini leaves
Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy by Houser and Melo is good to decent

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
Her omnibuses are Palmiotti and Conners run and it's in the same spirit but it's nowhere near as good as the show sadly. The show is redicilously good.

Harley Quinn by Sam Humphries (this is the best modern Harley stuff like the show)
Cool thanks I'll check them out.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Jin's uncle is gunna be super pissed when he finds out ive been assassinating people

Cant believe they still havent added an option of skip these damn cutscenes.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
whatsinaname bless me with the strength to read all my comics from the library. I have almost 40 items (including non fiction, novels, and movies, too), and they suddenly ordered a bunch of stuff for me that I couldn't pause in time. I'm trapped in a loop.

Ugh. I have bunch too that I am just renewing online ever few weeks and feel guilty about. My a/c is dead and I am just lying dead in front of a fan. No energy to read anything.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I want to check out many of these as well. I've read several Palmiottit and Conners issues and hated them. Definitely interested in reading more of her books though as I absolutely love the show. I hope we get confirmation of season 3 this month.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I bought Witch Hat Atelier Vol 1. I think I'll like it. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.