• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradax

Jun 1, 2018
I mean, Morrison's been around since the 80s, so it only makes sense that he's getting up there. The 80s were more than 30 years ago. But he just LOOKS so much younger. It's the baldness, I'm sure of it.

That being said, now that I think of it, I don't think I've seen a recent picture of him?

He's been even longer. He used to write and draw comics for the British market in the late 70s.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I knew Morrison has been around forever but it's one of those things I never think about. Same with Gaiman. Moore has always been old and cranky.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Alan Moore came out of the womb with at least 12 inches of gray facial hair.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if you have the right mixture of open mind and good energy and old and cranky you'll age really well

Grant is an example of that

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand why people say Moore has always been cranky. He hasn't and he isn't. He's quite pleasant. He's only rightfully annoyed at the comics industry and how it has treated their creators since its inception.

In a related note here is a young affable Moore talking about Swamp Thing

Saga of the Swamp Thing was a really progressive comic.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
How can you not assume Moore is cranky?

3053.jpg

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
It is interesting though, big 2 comics being a work for hire medium and the creators not owning the characters. (Now I understand in the Watchmen case, how that ownership is being maintained itself is a huge point of discussion.)

If Bill Watterson complains and is 'cranky' about others using Calvin or Hobbes in a different way, it is definitely understandable.

But can Moore really have that expectation of Constantine or Mogo?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Moore's comic writing hadn't become progressively more awful over the years.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
They get big names for the early issues then they replace them with people they grabbed off the street and hope fans keep buying the book out of habit.
I do think they get them on high profile books and someone else happens and they put them on other high books, look what happened to Yu and Schiti. It's a game of musical chairs.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
"Arkham Asylum 2 he's only ever written 25 pages of, and that was ages back. Has not done anymore." From a streamed interview two days ago

says he got a million other ideas for creator owned comics tho, and he's working on a novel. The monthly ongoing grind is a young man's game and he turned 60 this year so that's that.
Oh my bad, I thought you were joking. Well, that makes sense. Wonder what his novel will be like lol.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Moore doesn't really care about owning his own characters. He says his fellow artists can get whatever profits from movies, etc. or use his characters however they want. He cares about other creators and how they've been abused and swindled throughout comic history. He devotes the first page to each LoEG Tempest issue to these 'cheated champions of your childhood.'
Moore has always been a real one.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Comic artists are expected to be alot more detailed nowadays and I think that plays a factor into making the already tough grind even harder

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I dont think of Morrison as 60.
He's always a fresh young drug addled wizard in my eyes.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
speaking of consistent art

I like how they just gave up on getting a rotating artist team on ASM once Ramos left. The Big Time era was double shipping, no? And it consistently rotated between Ramos, Camuncoli, and I think someone else? We've gotten 90+ issues of Batman and it's felt at least stylistically consistent, minus the Janin issues with horrible coloring.

I mean yeesh

43 - Ottley
44 - Jacinto and Oliviera
45 - Bagley
46 - Fereira
47 - Fereira
48 - Bagley
49/850 - Ottley/Bagley/Ramos
50 - Gleason

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why people say Moore has always been cranky. He hasn't and he isn't. He's quite pleasant. He's only rightfully annoyed at the comics industry and how it has treated their creators since its inception.

In a related note here is a young affable Moore talking about Swamp Thing

Saga of the Swamp Thing was a really progressive comic.

In his old interviews he used joke around a lot about comics and clearly having fun. The problem is he got fucked over, sees the effect his comics had on the medium he loved, and now projects those feelings onto the medium and idea of superheroes and the creators themsleves instead of the companies.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They are still riding Moore's coat-tails decades later. Hell, the first solicitation in Messi's beautiful opening preview post is:

Batman: Three Jokers #1 By Johns, Fabok -Thirty years after Batman: The Killing Joke changed comics forever, Three Jokers reexamines the myth of who, or what, The Joker is and who, or what, The Joker is

Lol

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In his old interviews he used joke around a lot about comics and clearly having fun. The problem is he got fucked over, sees the effect his comics had on the medium he loved, and now projects those feelings onto the medium and idea of superheroes and the creators themsleves instead of the companies.
He still likes the idea of an optimistic superhero - which is why he created Tom Strong.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is interesting though, big 2 comics being a work for hire medium and the creators not owning the characters. (Now I understand in the Watchmen case, how that ownership is being maintained itself is a huge point of discussion.)

If Bill Watterson complains and is 'cranky' about others using Calvin or Hobbes in a different way, it is definitely understandable.

But can Moore really have that expectation of Constantine or Mogo?
Dude made a whole anti-dc universe that was to fight the impact his comics had on the industry and corporate overheads in a pulp styling to allow his friends to create and do whatever.

He did it under Jim Lee's studio.

Morrison doesn't own that universe anymore.

Dude has been fucked over in incredible ways.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He still likes the idea of an optimistic superhero - which is why he created Tom Strong.
He nowadays says all heroes are child things, and inherently facist and racist. Dude is the man who kept coming to comics in deep love and the industry just wanted a quick fuck and to drain him, and broke up with him, and now Moore is pretending he was never into it in the first place.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
speaking of consistent art

I like how they just gave up on getting a rotating artist team on ASM once Ramos left. The Big Time era was double shipping, no? And it consistently rotated between Ramos, Camuncoli, and I think someone else? We've gotten 90+ issues of Batman and it's felt at least stylistically consistent, minus the Janin issues with horrible coloring.

I mean yeesh

43 - Ottley
44 - Jacinto and Oliviera
45 - Bagley
46 - Fereira
47 - Fereira
48 - Bagley
49/850 - Ottley/Bagley/Ramos
50 - Gleason
It's 2 issues a month to be fair.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Berger in that video! In a fair and ideal world, with her vision and skill to take books to market, she would have been heading one of the big 2 by 2000 or at least 2010. But here we are in 2020 with Akira-san.

Dude made a whole anti-dc universe that was to fight the impact his comics had on the industry and corporate overheads in a pulp styling to allow his friends to create and do whatever.

He did it under Jim Lee's studio.

Morrison doesn't own that universe anymore.

Dude has been fucked over in incredible ways.

Oh yeah. All his anger and resentment is completely understandable. Especially those standalone works.

I was just thinking in general about creating characters in shared universes. See also Liefeld with Deadpool.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad my favourite creators are people who's books don't sell so they can never get big enough to actually leave a series. Y'all should try it.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He nowadays says all heroes are child things, and inherently facist and racist. Dude is the man who kept coming to comics in deep love and the industry just wanted a quick fuck and to drain him, and broke up with him, and now Moore is pretending he was never into it in the first place.
I personally think he has a point and an argument can be made, but I see how that opinion can annoy some people. I don't think he has ever retconned his love for comics. He only really regrets The Killing Joke from what I have heard.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

Not gonna bother. Would love to but that's easily 2k

Also... Becky likes Anime? Top tier creator then.

Last edited:

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally think he has a point and an argument can be made, but I see how that opinion can annoy some people. I don't think he has ever retconned his love for comics. He only really regrets The Killing Joke from what I have heard.
I heard him say it before, but forget the interview. The problem with Moore I see is, yeah, he has a point, but when arguing these days he calls those working in the modern superhero field as enablers and also just hates on the comic medium. There are valid points throughout every discussion with them, but he's understandably bitter throughout it that makes him go to extremes I can't fully go there with.

Berger in that video! In a fair and ideal world, with her vision and skill to take books to market, she would have been heading one of the big 2 by 2000 or at least 2010. But here we are in 2020 with Akira-san.

Oh yeah. All his anger and resentment is completely understandable. Especially those standalone works.

I was just thinking in general about creating characters in shared universes. See also Liefeld with Deadpool.
I think it's interesting how creators now say don't write new ones for the big two, play with the toys they give you, and use your own ideas for an original indie book. I get it, but I wish the big two would come up with proper way to give incentive for people to go 100% and properly pay them for the rest of their lives. But it's warner brothers and disney, so fuck that idea I guess.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I still can't believe Walt Simsonson wrote AND drew Thor for about four years.
The age of insane machine men like that are over.

He also didn't have a contract for eight bonus covers, and wasnt doing commissions through social media.
These guys did the comic and went to cons and that's it. Now there's more varied work.

It was a big change from the 60s where artists had to draw many monthlies on time, but there were no cons.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Arkham Asylum 2 he's only ever written 25 pages of, and that was ages back. Has not done anymore." From a streamed interview two days ago

says he got a million other ideas for creator owned comics tho, and he's working on a novel. The monthly ongoing grind is a young man's game and he turned 60 this year so that's that.

do you have a link to the interview? I love listening to Morrison

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
He also didn't have a contract for eight bonus covers, and wasnt doing commissions through social media.
These guys did the comic and went to cons and that's it. Now there's more varied work.

It was a big change from the 60s where artists had to draw many monthlies on time, but there were no cons.
I assume the new way is more fruitful monetarily than the old way.
So I guess I can't complain.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I assume the new way is more fruitful monetarily than the old way.
So I guess I can't complain.

the new way also lets artists be more independent businesses instead of chaining then to your label but not giving them the benefits of being staff. They also don't get burned out on one character/book

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
The Ink and Zoom stuff is nice actually because it's all very fresh takes both narratively and universally since they all take place within their own individual DCUs

I have yet to finish Breaking Glass (I'll do that today or tonight), but I read the first couple chapters and it's very different and lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.