• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2019
"We want artists on for more than four issues"

Marvel:
dv3SMT2.gif

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
They get big names for the early issues then they replace them with people they grabbed off the street and hope fans keep buying the book out of habit.
Sadly I bet there is probably some truth here.
Although the guy they got to do Deadpool #5, Gerardo Sandoval, was also great.
I just love Bachalo's art more.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my fave recent marvel books have had consistent artists, but they won't draw every issue just cuz it's hard to crank them boys out every month. So Dautermann on aaron thor will do five issues and then Aaron will write a small one off story or two parter in between major arcs for Dautermann to draw. Immortal Hulk has been doing something similar with Joe Bennet. He does all the major issues, but the origin issues of the General or the Leader will be handed off to somebody else. I know Nic Klein said he's plans to be on Thor for years with Cates, although the next story seems to be drawn by Aaron Kuder(who's also great).

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I think my fave recent marvel books have had consistent artists, but they won't draw every issue just cuz it's hard to crank them boys out every month. So Dautermann on aaron thor will do five issues and then Aaron will write a small one off story or two parter in between major arcs for Dautermann to draw. Immortal Hulk has been doing something similar with Joe Bennet. He does all the major issues, but the origin issues of the General or the Leader will be handed off to somebody else. I know Nic Klein said he's plans to be on Thor for years with Cates, although the next story seems to be drawn by Aaron Kuder(who's also great).
Most artists these days either can't or struggle to do a full year of books straight, so they will take issues off.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe Walt Simsonson wrote AND drew Thor for about four years.
The age of insane machine men like that are over.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe Walt Simsonson wrote AND drew Thor for about four years.
The age of insane machine men like that are over.
Some of the old school guys like Bagley and Romita Jr could hit deadlines month after month but it's very rare. I remember Chris Burnham talking about he maybe gets one good page a *day* when he was doing Morrison's Batman. His Kirkman assassin book Die!Die!Die!, first issue came out in July 2018. The #12 issue is scheduled for next month, August 2020.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the old school guys like Bagley and Romita Jr could hit deadlines month after month but it's very rare. I remember Chris Burnham talking about he maybe gets one good page a *day* when he was doing Morrison's Batman. His Kirkman assassin book Die!Die!Die!, first issue came out in July 2018. The #12 issue is scheduled for next month, August 2020.
Apparently Jack Kirby at his height was drawing 5 or 6 pages a day.
The King of comics indeed.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
So, something I've talked about before that bothers me about Jason Aaron's Avengers is how he brings up that Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, and Thor Odinson are the "Big Three" of the Avengers. They spend the first issue basically claiming that and setting that up and building from there, but they also acknowledge how they're gigantic failures so it seems to poke fun at it. Regardless it's never built off of. Or at least it hasn't been yet, and in the book about the mythology of superheroes as its concept, I would hope for it to come up.

Now again it gets brought up by Al Ewing in Empyre and I have to ask, if this is going to be perpetuated by Marvel, then what makes these three the "Big Three?"

We know what makes Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman the Trinity. What balances each other out. Superman is the idealist, Batman is the realist, and Wonder Woman keeps them grounded. There's far more than just that, though. There's the greater ideals they uphold and the corners of the DCU they represent (Superman with more cosmic and sci-fi; Batman with more street level and psychological; Wonder Woman with more magical and mythical). They also have their own physically unique worlds that they bring.

I'm not hating on the idea of Steve, Tony, and Thor being the Big Three of Marvel, but I'm genuinely trying to piece together and actual creative ideology as to why those three beyond "well money duh."
Maybe its just me but Ewing using that term with quotations and then immediately going "but Black Panther is the real big threat here" probably means something

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Woo, finished the Dark Phoenix Arc. I'll stop here for now and finish the rest after a break from "classic" X-men.

Overall I pretty much enjoyed the entire read-through (from UXM #94 onwards), the only parts I didn't like were the ones where Alpha Flight are the antagonists (sorry Canadians). They just weren't interesting as "villains" and felt like a filler roadblock. The proteus arc is my favourite, followed closely by the Phoenix and the Dark Phoenix arc.

Claremont is really good at writing the group as a team, they complement each other well with their personalities and the "moments to shine" are spread out pretty evenly among the group. It's also great seeing their individual characters and their relationships with each other grow throughout the arcs. Wolverine especially became less grating as the story went on, and I actually liked Jean and Scott's relationship by the end.

All in all, good stuff. It's fun to revisit these stories with all the Dawn of X stuff going on and compare the characters now with what they were like then
10b87282-ce98-490f-a30kld.jpeg

edit: Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, Bryne's art is sublime throughout

Agreed all around. Especially the Proteus arc which is underrated.

The book was just gold through like 1984, but starting in the mid 80's through to the end of Claremont I kind of felt it limped somewhat here and there. Mostly due to editorial fuckery that messed with Claremont's plans(early X-Factor ugh). Still plenty of great stuff ahead though like Mutant Massacre, everything involving Storm, and some fun crossovers. Plan to continue?

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Agreed all around. Especially the Proteus arc which is underrated.

The book was just gold through like 1984, but starting in the mid 80's through to the end of Claremont I kind of felt it limped somewhat here and there. Mostly due to editorial fuckery that messed with Claremont's plans(early X-Factor ugh). Still plenty of great stuff ahead though like Mutant Massacre, everything involving Storm, and some fun crossovers. Plan to continue?
Yup, absolutely. I'm following this reading order so the next "checkpoint" for me is the end of the brood saga
www.comicbookherald.com

Chris Claremont X-Men & New Mutants Reading Order

The Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past; It all starts here with Chris Claremont's 16 year run as writer on X-Men! Here's the order for best reading!
But for now I'm taking a break from it. I'll probably get back to it after I finish something else in my backlog (looking at sandman mystery theatre right now)

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
For the Tony/Cap/Thor business, it doesn't help that the Avengers haven't had the same influence in the Marvel world as the Justice League. I felt that instead of a big three in people, Marvel had a big three in teams with the Avengers, Fantastic Four and X-Men.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the first issue of the new X-Factor. Completely sold on the cast. Drakken was great. The story was fun, the humour on point and overall I was left wishing I had issue 2 right now.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
I don't for a second believe that he's done with superheroes. They all come back.
I bet we see him on The Flash within the next decade. Reading Supergods, it's evident that's his favorite character of all time and he hasn't had a proper long run on it like he has for the other members of the Big 5 in DC.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
So, something I've talked about before that bothers me about Jason Aaron's Avengers is how he brings up that Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, and Thor Odinson are the "Big Three" of the Avengers. They spend the first issue basically claiming that and setting that up and building from there, but they also acknowledge how they're gigantic failures so it seems to poke fun at it. Regardless it's never built off of. Or at least it hasn't been yet, and in the book about the mythology of superheroes as its concept, I would hope for it to come up.

Now again it gets brought up by Al Ewing in Empyre and I have to ask, if this is going to be perpetuated by Marvel, then what makes these three the "Big Three?"

We know what makes Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman the Trinity. What balances each other out. Superman is the idealist, Batman is the realist, and Wonder Woman keeps them grounded. There's far more than just that, though. There's the greater ideals they uphold and the corners of the DCU they represent (Superman with more cosmic and sci-fi; Batman with more street level and psychological; Wonder Woman with more magical and mythical). They also have their own physically unique worlds that they bring.

I'm not hating on the idea of Steve, Tony, and Thor being the Big Three of Marvel, but I'm genuinely trying to piece together and actual creative ideology as to why those three beyond "well money duh."

Because in the heavily segmented world of the Marvel Universe, Iron Man, Cap, and Thor are the only real choices thanks to their stature, powerset, and lack of a status quo that demands more of their time. Three characters who can closely be associated with maturity and responsibility that no one would bat at eye at them being at the forefront of a superhero team.

Think about it. Eliminate all the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man (too carefree), Dr Strange/The Occult (too weird), the cosmic side (again too weird), The Hulk (unstable), Black Panther (rules a country) then who do you have left that's credible enough in that role?

Sure, if you wanted you could say that Iron Man is the link to Marvel's super science side, Thor to its fantasy/cosmic side and Cap to the everyman side, but those aren't the main reason why they're in those roles

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
HPB.com 20% off coupon: CLASS20

expires after August 4

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I don't believe for a second Morrison is done with cape books. He was saying the same thing before The Green Lantern. I really wish he would finish AA2 though. 666 Batman is best Batman.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Neat video. Liked hearing his insights on his Justice League story. Really need to read his Black Panther after I finish Deathstroke.

I don't believe for a second Morrison is done with cape books. He was saying the same thing before The Green Lantern. I really wish he would finish AA2 though. 666 Batman is best Batman.
I dont think JC was being serious, but I dont expect him to do more than he already is in comics atm. I could see him doing a black label book or something after GL.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neat video. Liked hearing his insights on his Justice League story. Really need to read his Black Panther after I f

I dont think JC was being serious, but I dont expect him to do more than he already is in comics atm. I could see him doing a black label book or something after GL.

"Arkham Asylum 2 he's only ever written 25 pages of, and that was ages back. Has not done anymore." From a streamed interview two days ago

says he got a million other ideas for creator owned comics tho, and he's working on a novel. The monthly ongoing grind is a young man's game and he turned 60 this year so that's that.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
yeah, I can definitely see him slowing down a lot on comics after GL and WW3. The amount of insanity he still manages to put in GL is still pretty impressive. I would love a BL AA2, it seems like a book he's always wanted to finish.

edit: He's 60?! Okay he can do whatever he wants, I had no idea lol

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
"Arkham Asylum 2 he's only ever written 25 pages of, and that was ages back. Has not done anymore." From a streamed interview two days ago

says he got a million other ideas for creator owned comics tho, and he's working on a novel. The monthly ongoing grind is a young man's game and he turned 60 this year so that's that.
60? Why does that feel so absurd to me?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Morrison's been around since the 80s, so it only makes sense that he's getting up there. The 80s were more than 30 years ago. But he just LOOKS so much younger. It's the baldness, I'm sure of it.

That being said, now that I think of it, I don't think I've seen a recent picture of him?

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Morrison's been around since the 80s, so it only makes sense that he's getting up there. The 80s were more than 30 years ago. But he just LOOKS so much younger. It's the baldness, I'm sure of it.

That being said, now that I think of it, I don't think I've seen a recent picture of him?
Magic. It either turns your soul old or keep you eternally young.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.