• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the size of the Viz Shonen Jump titles but I'm also glad books like Witch Hat Atelier, No Guns Life and all the Asano stuff are bigger.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why they chose No Guns Life for that larger size release. Its awesome. All manga should be printed that way.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
So Stephanie Philips is the Jessie Quick writer

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking about Legion and if DC will try it again with Bendis or someone new and fresh. I think Bendis's mistake was going way too big right at the start. Its been like 20 years since the last time people saw these characters in any meaningful way. They needed a new reader friendly reintroduction, with like 2 or 3 of the main characters and someone we know.

Not a reboot, just a reintro from the perspective of a new character meeting the Legion for the first time. Like Bendis did with Jon, but wtihout going full on within the first issue or two.

But they did do a Future State issue, so maybe we will see more of them somewhere in the future.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
So, about Gleb. When did he get popular? Has he been around for awhile? I see people quote him a lot in the last few months and I don't know if he just came out of nowhere or if I was just sidelined and people were talking about him outside of my earshot.

Was thinking about Legion and if DC will try it again with Bendis or someone new and fresh. I think Bendis's mistake was going way too big right at the start. Its been like 20 years since the last time people saw these characters in any meaningful way. They needed a new reader friendly reintroduction, with like 2 or 3 of the main characters and someone we know.

Not a reboot, just a reintro from the perspective of a new character meeting the Legion for the first time. Like Bendis did with Jon, but wtihout going full on within the first issue or two.

But they did do a Future State issue, so maybe we will see more of them somewhere in the future.
It was actually a pretty decent run. I enjoyed it. But I don't want to see Bendis on it again.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
So, about Gleb. When did he get popular? Has he been around for awhile? I see people quote him a lot in the last few months and I don't know if he just came out of nowhere or if I was just sidelined and people were talking about him outside of my earshot.

It was actually a pretty decent run. I enjoyed it. But I don't want to see Bendis on it again.

He started shit with Cates over a few pages in a Venom book then he was announced as the artist on Robin. Ramon Villalobos is friends with him and they both shit post that's how I know who he is. The Big Gleb name came from Villalobos. Then I realised he does great art. He's a fun twitter follow.

Side note I have a folder with Harley and Ivy outfits for commissions and I recently noticed that I had 3 big Gleb Ivy drawings saved in there before I knew who he was.

He's only gotten popular recently. But he's shot up. He used to do art on the Angel series at Boom. But is at DC now.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
He started shit with Cates over a few pages in a Venom book then he was announced as the artist on Robin. Ramon Villalobos is friends with him and they both shit post that's how I know who he is. The Big Gleb name came from Villalobos. Then I realised he does great art. He's a fun twitter follow.

Side note I have a folder with Harley and Ivy outfits for commissions and I recently noticed that I had 3 big Gleb Ivy drawings saved in there before I knew who he was.
Oh interesting. So he really only rose to prominence recently then. Just seemed really sudden lol.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Oh interesting. So he really only rose to prominence recently then. Just seemed really sudden lol.

The Venom criticism blew up. Cates responded and it kinda took over. The Cates deleted all his tweets lol

He did the art on the Jinny Hex special with Mags Vissagio if you read that.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Viz seems to release stuff that's not on Shonen Jump in their Viz Sig format.

Not really sure why Shonen Jump series don't get the same treatment.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
IST WILL YOU SHIP MY FUCKING BOOKS ALREADY

ActualAngryDunlin-max-1mb.gif

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also to actually be serious here; that round robin thing is the worst fucking shit I've seen the Big Two do in a while.

Putting up "hey here's a queer DC super team" vs "a bunch of other books you people have wanted since 2010 all starring established characters with a lot of popularity" is just plain evil.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that comes down to the creator's decision, no? Or does it depend on the dimensions of the anthology magazine it was published in first?

I'd imagine it depends on the Japanese publisher and the agreement they have with Viz. But Viz likes doing them at size so they can sell at a premium and they feel more special I guess.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like seriously:
Ex0bFzCUcAQ14i_

They put this up against a Bat-Book on twitter. Come the fuck on, people have been pitching "what if TMNT but with Robins, since like 2011" they know damn well the appeal is there. If they think a Damian ongoing can do well and a Nightwing ongoing can do well then there's no fucking that even the most cynical editor outlook can see a book with Damian AND Nightwing AND Jason doing poorly.

People were out here wondering why we stan Marvel just the other day.
I might be missing out on a thread joke here but I don't "stan" Marvel, DC just doesn't seem to like the shit about their books that I like right now.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
They used to be great. Now they've perfected the art of getting paid while my shit sits in their warehouse.
Yeah, my orders used to ALWAYS ship out the same week that I ordered the books. I haven't had that happen in at least a year though.

Right now I've been waiting for this book to get picked and scanned. The other three books have been picked and scanned well over a week.

OCT207147.jpg

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Like seriously:
Ex0bFzCUcAQ14i_

They put this up against a Bat-Book on twitter. Come the fuck on, people have been pitching "what if TMNT but with Robins, since like 2011" they know damn well the appeal is there. If they think a Damian ongoing can do well and a Nightwing ongoing can do well then there's no fucking that even the most cynical editor outlook can see a book with Damian AND Nightwing AND Jason doing poorly.

I might be missing out on a thread joke here but I don't "stan" Marvel, DC just doesn't seem to like the shit about their books that I like right now.
Odds are all of these books are happening because it would be messed up to have all these books completed to the point where they can show art, but only release one.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. So I started my Invincible re-read the other day. I'm in the middle of the third (of twelve) hardcover at the moment. The animated series starting put me in the mood to go through it all again, because it's one of my favorite cape comics ever. I haven't really run into anything too bad, but there were definitely a few lines of dialogue that haven't aged well. "This is so gay," "that's retarded." That sort of thing.

Anyhow, I just decided to look up some variant covers on a whim, and I came across this one. It's pretty bad. It was actually a blank cover, but the art on this one was done by Scott Blair. I'll put it in spoiler tags since it's #111, which was the issue right after THAT issue.
SAM_3252.JPG.fba6cc0c44f17e43053632d904a568c5.JPG

WOW. Talk about poor taste.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
That's a lot of reading.

Honestly it flew by. Dunno if it's the format or the story/art itself but it certainly felt quicker.

Like I said.

Webtoons are mostly free. Shonen Jump is like $3 a month. How're AMERICOMI supposed to compete?

I wonder how many actually spend money on the coins to jump ahead? Must be a pretty penny.

I might even spring for the announced collected edition. Curious to see how it'll look in printed form.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
any ideas? seems like a weird place for a leak

167925824_10101358658973483_4889493101553929784_n.jpg

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't pick it up, I figured I'd wait for impressions first. What was so sad? Spoil me.
Thor always swoops in to save the day and steal his glory. Then when he goes to get laid by Lady Sif, shes like uhh why dont you transform back to your humonoid form. And hes like, I cant anymore, Thor destroyed my hammer and im stuck like this from now on. So of course, shes like yea im good lol.

End of the book is the line I want to be beautiful again.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Thor always swoops in to save the day and steal his glory. Then when he goes to get laid by Lady Sif, shes like uhh why dont you transform back to your humonoid form. And hes like, I cant anymore, Thor destroyed my hammer and im stuck like this from now on. So of course, shes like yea im good lol.

End of the book is the line I want to be beautiful again.
Huh. That's pretty mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.