• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I didn't hate the old TV series. Brotherhood was like 1000 times better for sure, but the old series was fine for what it was.

The character interactions and drama that comes from them in '03 is far superior to Brotherhood.

Everything is sadness and angst and miseryguts and that's equally as boring as Brotherhood's fairy tale happiness and unwillingness to inflict any kind of meaningful pain onto its cast. They're two extreme reactions to each other.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Still own the Cowboy Bebop OST cd set. Like 3 or 4 discs. So good.
I own a ton of them. I always used to buy physical media of the anime and game soundtracks I really liked. All the way up to as recently as stuff like Nier Automata and Octopath Traveler. As far as Bebop, I have the first soundtrack which I got with the DVD box set, as well as No Disc, Blue, Vitaminless and the movie soundtrack.
Elm is stupid good. Jet was the unsung hero of the whole series.
You know what track I've always loved? Space Lion.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I own a ton of them. I always used to buy physical media of the anime and game soundtracks I really liked. All the way up to as recently as stuff like Nier Automata and Octopath Traveler. As far as Bebop, I have the first soundtrack which I got with the DVD box set, as well as No Disc, Blue, Vitaminless and the movie soundtrack.

You know what track I've always loved? Space Lion.

Space Lion and Blue are like the one two punch of the whole OST.

Fuck now I definitely have to rewatch Cowboy Bebop.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Space Lion and Blue are like the one two punch of the whole OST.

Fuck now I definitely have to rewatch Cowboy Bebop.
e0psDNu.png

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no... The boy in Haikyu that can jump high is essentially Deku without the punching. Otherwise I think I like the show?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i watched several episodes of cowboy bebop just the other day and they're still amazing and like a dagger through my weeping soul.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So I know hes not well regarded these days, but what was the best Chuck Dixon stuff? Is his Nightwing the best work he did?
His Nightwing is tops, including his Nightwing Year One storyline that happens later. I do believe there's a deluxe edition of the Year One storyline coming out within the next couple months. Anyways his Nightwing run pretty much is what made Dick Grayson my favorite character ever when I was younger. This run is dope as fuck. Like, one of my favorite runs ever. The worst part about it is that the art switches from McDaniel to Land, but it's 90s Land so it's fairly tolerable.

Robin Year One and Batgirl Year One, though both cowritten with Scott Beatty, are some top tier comics 100%. Like, arguably the best Dick Grayson story and the single best Barbara Gordon story and Batgirl story. Period.

The Tim Drake Robin solos, collected in Robin Vol 1: Reborn, Robin Vol 2: Triumphant, and Robin Vol 3: Solo, are all super aces. Defines the character, makes you love Tim Drake, and is some good ol' fashioned superhero comics. Gave me this sequence which I love:
rja3.jpg

Chuck Dixon is not afraid to have grown ass adult men genuinely attempt to murder teenagers.

His Birds of Prey, considering he created the damn concept, is super good though it definitely shows Dixon is not exactly the best feminist. Wouldn't pass the Bechdel test given how many of the stories revolve around Black Canary falling in love with some guy (roughly four). But it's a dope action comic with really good stories that has one of the most bonkers outgoing finale arcs (race to find the ultimate medical cure on a time-traveling prehistoric island). It's a lot of fun.

His Huntress solo mini with Netz on art is terrible. Bane Conquest, which was a 12 issue maxi from around 2017 (?), was super boring. Dropped it after 3. His short Nightwing throwback story in the Robin 80th anniversary was dope.
There's also a new video interview with Snyder and Sam Humphries. I'm watching now and he just said he's reading New Frontier as inspiration for a post-Death Metal project involving classic DC heroes.
Generations JSA, baby!

edit: Ah. A second later he mentions Sgt. Rock, so maybe there'll just be a whole encompassing Gen1 comic/mini/event.

People can say what they will about Snyder's writing, but the man fucking loves DC superhero comics.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Umbrella Acadamy Vol. 1. Thoughts tomorrow. But I did want to mention briefly how happy I am with the quality of the book. It's a perfect size with great thick pages. No gutter loss. And the art is perfect and well-deserving of the over-oversized format. Really happy to have these books in this format, even if they're just 6 issues per. Highly recommended.

Okay. There is one big negative. It's 85 degrees here and this book has a smooth black surface. Fingerprints galore.

Last edited:

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
Reading Hickman.

The first volume of his New Avengers is great with all the Illuminati and Incursions stuff.

And then his Avengers book... the first two volumes of it are just confusing, weird-ass, nonsense. He introduces way way too many different things without explanation in only a handful of issues.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Reading Hickman.

The first volume of his New Avengers is great with all the Illuminati and Incursions stuff.

And then his Avengers book... the first two volumes of it are just confusing, weird-ass, nonsense. He introduces way way too many different things without explanation in only a handful of issues.
Time Runs Out was the best part of Hickman Avengers IMO.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, that Marvel announcement from yesterday probably means the Nebula mini (that I might be the only who's reading) is probably never coming back. It's a good book and now I'll probably never see how Nebula + Midnighter's fight computer + memory loss resolves itself.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Man, that Marvel announcement from yesterday probably means the Nebula mini (that I might be the only who's reading) is probably never coming back. It's a good book and now I'll probably never see how Nebula + Midnighter's fight computer + memory loss resolves itself.
I think since it's a mini, you might be in luck as it might already be finished, just not released yet. At worst, it will probably get a quiet digital release

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Finished reading Akira v1 yesterday night. Damn, such a good comic. Very Wide Screen™ and the pacing was like an action movie storyboard, constant forward momentum. It did mean it did not have that tense claustrophobic feel that Domu gave you but there was a little bit of that in the showdown at the warehouse. Looking forward to the next volume. Will have to see if Otomo can maintain the momentum for 5 more volumes.

(All of Ellis' newer work is asymptotically approaching this style I feel. Almost to the extent of aping it.)

Finished Umbrella Acadamy Vol. 1. Thoughts tomorrow. But I did want to mention briefly how happy I am with the quality of the book. It's a perfect size with great thick pages. No gutter loss. And the art is perfect and well-deserving of the over-oversized format. Really happy to have these books in this format, even if they're just 6 issues per. Highly recommended.

Okay. There is one big negative. It's 85 degrees here and this book has a smooth black surface. Fingerprints galore.

dJncebB.png

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I know hes not well regarded these days, but what was the best Chuck Dixon stuff? Is his Nightwing the best work he did?
His Batman adjacent stuff was usually good, particularly Year One for Robin and Batgirl.
Birds of Prey was fun when he wrote it. It became better when Gail took over, however.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
His Nightwing is tops, including his Nightwing Year One storyline that happens later. I do believe there's a deluxe edition of the Year One storyline coming out within the next couple months. Anyways his Nightwing run pretty much is what made Dick Grayson my favorite character ever when I was younger. This run is dope as fuck. Like, one of my favorite runs ever. The worst part about it is that the art switches from McDaniel to Land, but it's 90s Land so it's fairly tolerable.

Robin Year One and Batgirl Year One, though both cowritten with Scott Beatty, are some top tier comics 100%. Like, arguably the best Dick Grayson story and the single best Barbara Gordon story and Batgirl story. Period.

The Tim Drake Robin solos, collected in Robin Vol 1: Reborn, Robin Vol 2: Triumphant, and Robin Vol 3: Solo, are all super aces. Defines the character, makes you love Tim Drake, and is some good ol' fashioned superhero comics. Gave me this sequence which I love:
rja3.jpg

Chuck Dixon is not afraid to have grown ass adult men genuinely attempt to murder teenagers.

His Birds of Prey, considering he created the damn concept, is super good though it definitely shows Dixon is not exactly the best feminist. Wouldn't pass the Bechdel test given how many of the stories revolve around Black Canary falling in love with some guy (roughly four). But it's a dope action comic with really good stories that has one of the most bonkers outgoing finale arcs (race to find the ultimate medical cure on a time-traveling prehistoric island). It's a lot of fun.

His Huntress solo mini with Netz on art is terrible. Bane Conquest, which was a 12 issue maxi from around 2017 (?), was super boring. Dropped it after 3. His short Nightwing throwback story in the Robin 80th anniversary was dope.

People can say what they will about Snyder's writing, but the man fucking loves DC superhero comics.
Oh wow, thank you. I grabbed the first 2 Nightwing tpbs, and the first Birds of Prey. I thought there was a complete collection for his Nightwing, but I guess they havent dont one yet.

Im going to try and go through No Man's Land before.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Oh wow, thank you. I grabbed the first 2 Nightwing tpbs, and the first Birds of Prey. I thought there was a complete collection for his Nightwing, but I guess they havent dont one yet.

Im going to try and go through No Man's Land before.
I know I'm late on this but his Tim Drake Robin miniseries is legit great. Probably my favorite Drake Robin story and I don't remember it having any of the gross stuff he wrote later. I should probably get his Nightwing.

I started TMNT from issue 1 which I somehow missed. I guess I started it around 15-20. It's crazy how the quality was right there from the beginning and now I finally know why things with Raphael were weird. Some of the early art is pretty bad but I know it gets a lot better even before Sophie takes over.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
in a quarantinemas miracle, Milo Manara delivers an outright tasteful tribute to front-line responders to the virus

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I may check out the Robin mini.

Been thinking about what are my favorite solo character on-goings lately. The more second tier books, as in books that arent Batman or Captain America. Need to start making a list of all the books I want to get to during this quarantine.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
editorial note: there's a fifth picture but it's of a cop so y'know, I politely decline to call cops heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.