• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think, yes, it's important to make clear that production being shut down doesn't mean these series are necessarily being canceled. However, it's also important to acknowledge that this is not anywhere near simply pushing a pause button. There's no guarantee that any book being shut down right now will come back. There's no guarantee that if they do come back, they'll have the same creative team. And in the meantime, the creatives behind these books almost certainly aren't being paid.

This is all bad news.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know what? Fuck it, i haven't drawn in a long time, this is a good enough excuse i'll join in on this and draw the ones you don't wanna do
(If that's fine with you)

It's a real fun ride, though it's better if you read the previous runs by Lemire and especially Brisson. They're not mandatory but they're great fun too

You should draw Godzilla. Everyone should draw Godzilla.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Obviously Marvel, DC, Image, etc. will be fine, but are even the secondary publishers secure in surviving this? Hopefully at least some are small enough (like most comic stores) to use the stimulus and the loan/grant that's offered.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Kodansha is releasing their manga digital first, with print editions to come later. Which, honestly, is WHAT EVERYONE SHOULD BE DOING.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Kodansha is releasing their manga digital first, with print editions to come later. Which, honestly, is WHAT EVERYONE SHOULD BE DOING.
Isn't that their normal business model? Their logo on CMX literally says "Kodansha Comics: Digital-First!"

One of their series I bought on sale recently never did come out in print. That's why I bought it digitally.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I was going to commit to Drifting Dragons on digital, but the manga reader is and always will be trash.

So $15 physical volumes are go.

May 24, 2019
Snyder did an AMA a few hours ago:
community.dcuniverse.com

LIVE Q&A: Scott Snyder writer of BATMAN and SWAMP THING! Friday, April 3rd @11am PT/2pm ET

OK folks! I have to run to help with the kids BUT, I’d love to do this again ASAP and keep asking me anything you want on Twitter as I’ll try to answer more often than I have been over there ssnyder1835

"Generations is more of a recounting of DC History right now, rather than being a big catalyst for things. The reconnecting of continuity - making it all one big story - is our job via Death Metal and we're honored and humbled and excited and terrified to be doing it "

5G (the future replacements part) is definitely dead.

also
" Hey! Thanks a lot. Doomsday Clock DOES play a big part in Death Metal. Nothing we do will change the (amazing) events of that book, but the effects of Manhattan's actions reverberate throughout the start of the story. Th goal with Death Metal is to say - look, DC has had all these great stories from long ago to just this year, but (if we're being honest) we've become too disconnected in out continuity. Black Label, other imprints, it's great to have standalone stories. But in mainline DC, it's become hard to tell what our history is, what connects. The post it on my computer for Death Metal is "everything matters" and our goal is reward you guys for your years of dedication and passion for these characters and stories by honoring as much as we can of the past, while blasting forward in the most fun way possible "

" I'd love to write a real run on Wonder Woman someday. I have a story I've been dying to do. But also Dr Fate. Marvel wise, I have a bog Captain America story I've been wanting to write forever. And a Hulk epic called "smash everything" that I hope to write one day. And a Wolverine idea… One day! "

I bet he's gonna branch out after Death Metal.

" I mean, there's no topping Stephen King, man. There was no getting over it. He was a blast, too - he was funny as hell, always messing with us on American Vampire by writing a script and then having Skinner or Pearl turn into a bat or mist or something at the end and I'd get all nervous about having to tell Stephen King our vampires didn't work that way, and so I'd build up my courage, get him on the phone and he'd be like, "Scott, I was just ■■■■■■' with ya." "

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
I think, yes, it's important to make clear that production being shut down doesn't mean these series are necessarily being canceled. However, it's also important to acknowledge that this is not anywhere near simply pushing a pause button. There's no guarantee that any book being shut down right now will come back. There's no guarantee that if they do come back, they'll have the same creative team. And in the meantime, the creatives behind these books almost certainly aren't being paid.

This is all bad news.

I feel like this is a knock-on effect of Marvel's model of publishing minis under the guise of ongoings. Admittedly they're getting better at almost not sending books out to die, but some day production on "2020 iWolverine" has to end, y'know?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, does the cmx app have a different interface for manga compared to the regular comics? I thought you had meant the Kodansha pp or something.

Yeah reading it on my laptop forces a two page spread that completely takes me out of the experience since I have to zoom in every page to read anything.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
community.dcuniverse.com

LIVE Q&A: Scott Snyder writer of BATMAN and SWAMP THING! Friday, April 3rd @11am PT/2pm ET

OK folks! I have to run to help with the kids BUT, I’d love to do this again ASAP and keep asking me anything you want on Twitter as I’ll try to answer more often than I have been over there ssnyder1835

"Generations is more of a recounting of DC History right now, rather than being a big catalyst for things. The reconnecting of continuity - making it all one big story - is our job via Death Metal and we're honored and humbled and excited and terrified to be doing it "

also
" Hey! Thanks a lot. Doomsday Clock DOES play a big part in Death Metal. Nothing we do will change the (amazing) events of that book, but the effects of Manhattan's actions reverberate throughout the start of the story. Th goal with Death Metal is to say - look, DC has had all these great stories from long ago to just this year, but (if we're being honest) we've become too disconnected in out continuity. Black Label, other imprints, it's great to have standalone stories. But in mainline DC, it's become hard to tell what our history is, what connects. The post it on my computer for Death Metal is "everything matters" and our goal is reward you guys for your years of dedication and passion for these characters and stories by honoring as much as we can of the past, while blasting forward in the most fun way possible "

" I'd love to write a real run on Wonder Woman someday. I have a story I've been dying to do. But also Dr Fate. Marvel wise, I have a bog Captain America story I've been wanting to write forever. And a Hulk epic called "smash everything" that I hope to write one day. And a Wolverine idea… One day! "

" I mean, there's no topping Stephen King, man. There was no getting over it. He was a blast, too - he was funny as hell, always messing with us on American Vampire by writing a script and then having Skinner or Pearl turn into a bat or mist or something at the end and I'd get all nervous about having to tell Stephen King our vampires didn't work that way, and so I'd build up my courage, get him on the phone and he'd be like, "Scott, I was just ■■■■■■' with ya." "
I already can't wait for Death Metal and this sounds awesome. I also think he would kill it on Captain America. Hulk OTOH I'm not really sure. There's no reality where Snyder writes a better Hulk than Ewing.

Deleted member 64377

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Yeah reading it on my laptop forces a two page spread that completely takes me out of the experience since I have to zoom in every page to read anything.
You always frame it as the app being shitty, but it's more an issue of it not being suited to your specific setup. When you just say "it's trash" with no explanation of what your issue actually is, that could turn someone off of checking something out on there when they wouldn't have an issue with the reader.

Besides, even on the smallest laptop screen, wouldn't the pages still be larger than print manga pages?

To clarify all of this for people who are unfamiliar, CMX uses a format called Manga Fixed Format for a lot of manga books. You'll see a little "MFF" symbol designating these books. It's a display option chosen by the publishers, not something CMX forces on them. And what it means is that when you're looking on a vertical display, you're just seeing a single page like normal, with no Guided View option. And if you're ok a landscape display, like a monitor, laptop, or tablet held horizontally, it displays two pages at a time.

May 24, 2019
There's also a new video interview with Snyder and Sam Humphries. I'm watching now and he just said he's reading New Frontier as inspiration for a post-Death Metal project involving classic DC heroes.
Generations JSA, baby!

edit: Ah. A second later he mentions Sgt. Rock, so maybe there'll just be a whole encompassing Gen1 comic/mini/event.

Last edited:

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

You always frame it as the app being shitty, but it's more an issue of it not being suited to your specific setup. When you just say "it's trash" with no explanation of what your issue actually is, that could turn someone off of checking something out on there when they wouldn't have an issue with the reader.

Besides, even on the smallest laptop screen, wouldn't the pages still be larger than print manga pages?

To clarify all of this for people who are unfamiliar, CMX uses a format called Manga Fixed Format for a lot of manga books. You'll see a little "MFF" symbol designating these books. It's a display option chosen by the publishers, not something CMX forces on them. And what it means is that when you're looking on a vertical display, you're just seeing a single page like normal, with no Guided View option. And if you're ok a landscape display, like a monitor, laptop, or tablet held horizontally, it displays two pages at a time.

Got to agree with aimless here Weiss. This is standard behaviour for digital comics? (Even cmx comics have the setting to show 2 pages in landscape). On the Viz app I read portrait and turn to landscape for 2 page spreads.

I thought there were issues with it like manga on the Kindle (which have shitty panning/zooming).

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I read comics landscape, two pages per screen.

Physical copies I don't read as they are in the bin where they belong.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm a heathen because when I got a two page spread I just zoom in on the left, then scroll over and back as I'm reading.

May 24, 2019
Jeff Loveness is writing Ant Man 3
www.resetera.com

Hollywood Reporter: Rick & Morty and Comic Writer, Jeff Loveness to write Ant-Man 3

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/ant-man-3-finds-writer-rick-morty-scribe-1288461 While everything seems in place, with everything readjusted and the planned February 2022 now belonging to Thor 3, the lone sensible date left in 2022 Marvel locked is October 3, 2022. Or 2023...

I read comics landscape, two pages per screen.

That's too tiny. I've got a 10" iPad 7 and still use fit-to-width horizontal cause I like big ol pages.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
community.dcuniverse.com

also

I bet he's gonna branch out after Death Metal.

What do you mean when you say 5G is definitely dead? What did he say that made you think that?

And man, I would LOVE to see him go to Marvel and do a Captain America book. But man, that would be so bad for DC lol, at least for myself as a fan. But at this point I think hes done pretty much everything I could want to see him do besides JSA.

Deleted member 64377

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
psh. i read comics through suppositories, three pages per pill, like all the cool kids do anymore.
At first I thought I was reading this as "suppositories" when you had actually said something else, but you actually did say suppositories. I'm glad I can actually read and that I don't just have butts on the brain all the time.

May 24, 2019
What do you mean when you say 5G is definitely dead? What did he say that made you think that?

"Generations is more of a recounting of DC History right now, rather than being a big catalyst for things."

I think that's clearly saying that they'll follow through on new stories establishing the past, but are nixing any big change to the day to day books, which would be the next generations of heroes part we were gonna get.

The "is more" and "right now" means plans have changed.

edit: I guess it's not an exact confirmation, but I think it's as close as you can get before a definitive statement. Let me exaggerate!

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
whatsinaname you gonna explain salty/sweet lassi to me or what

So it is a little bit of a grey area with the terms in colloquial usage.

Sweet Lassi is the default in most states - usually super high calorie and definitely sweeter than soda.

There's two separate drinks that I have usually seen called Salted Lassi outside India. There's a salted version closer to the middle eastern milk drinks. But this term is also used interchangeably for buttermilk. Which again is similar to the American old-fashioned buttermilk, not the cultured buttermilk that goes into pancakes. -_-.

Then there's the 'edible' version of Lassi you might like - bhaang. Usually consumed during holi, even by people not yet of drinking age. The cops look the other way.

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Loveness is writing Ant Man 3
www.resetera.com

Hollywood Reporter: Rick & Morty and Comic Writer, Jeff Loveness to write Ant-Man 3

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/ant-man-3-finds-writer-rick-morty-scribe-1288461 While everything seems in place, with everything readjusted and the planned February 2022 now belonging to Thor 3, the lone sensible date left in 2022 Marvel locked is October 3, 2022. Or 2023...

This is rad. Loveness is a funny writer with a lot of heart and has experience writing for TV so it will be interesting!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Is JMS's Amazing Spider-Man more happy go lucky Spider-Man, or more super depressed, down in the dumps Spider-Man?

I need more happy go lucky stories right now lol

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
So it is a little bit of a grey area with the terms in colloquial usage.

Sweet Lassi is the default in most states - usually super high calorie and definitely sweeter than soda.

There's two separate drinks that I have usually seen called Salted Lassi outside India. There's a salted version closer to the middle eastern milk drinks. But this term is also used interchangeably for buttermilk. Which again is similar to the American old-fashioned buttermilk, not the cultured buttermilk that goes into pancakes. -_-.

Then there's the 'edible' version of Lassi you might like - bhaang. Usually consumed during holi, even by people not yet of drinking age. The cops look the other way.
Edible lassi... I'm sold.

Deleted member 64377

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Edible lassi... I'm sold.
tumblr_mus5anxVeK1srquddo1_500.gif

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
IST and DCBS finally put up notices about the pandemic.

IST:
Hello,

All of us at InStockTrades are working hard to continue to provide excellent service during this trying time.

We are told that publishers are assessing their ability to print and release the books scheduled for the month of April. Diamond currently has 4/1 releases in their warehouse, and although they do not plan to distribute those titles for this week, they are planned to be fulfilled at a later date. Most titles set for 4/8 release have also been printed and are in a holding pattern until more comprehensive measures can be made.

While Diamond is not currently planning to ship new product to retailers, they are continuing to ship reorders for older product. InStockTrades will continue to place reorders with Diamond to replenish our stock. Diamond has stated that these reorders may not be filled on the same day that they are placed. This will cause some delays in our receipt of the reorders which may in turn cause delays in some of our shipments to you.

This is a very fluid time, where decisions are made and changed within hours. As information is provided by Diamond and the publishers, we will do our best to apprise customers of all pertinent information regarding their shipments and what they can expect.

Sincerely,
The InStockTrades Team

DCBS:
We hope all of you are weathering this crisis as well as can be expected.

We want to provide information based on the current environment and what you can expect from us over the next couple of weeks. We still do not have a solid answer as to when we will see the originally scheduled 4/1 releases. We do know that Diamond and the publishers are working on a plan to get those to all retailers as soon as they can, and our new hope is that we receive those by the end of the month.

1) Any customers who chose weekly shipping for this month, we will send shipments if you have items in an open invoice. At the end of the month, we will determine how many shipments you have been sent, and we will credit the appropriate amount back to your account for the portion of the upgrade that was not shipped.

2) Any customers who chose twice a month shipping for this month, we will send shipments if you have items in an open invoice. At the end of the month, we will determine how many shipments you have been sent, and we will credit the appropriate amount back to your account for for the portion of the upgrade that was not shipped.

3) All customers who have a scheduled shipment for week 2 will be sent anything that is in their open invoice next week. This will contain 2 weeks of releases (3/18 & 3/25) and any other items that may have filled in those 2 weeks.

4) Customers scheduled for week 3 shipping will be sent anything that is in their open invoice. This will contain 1 week of releases (3/25) and any other items that may have filled in that week.

5) We do not know what to expect for the 4th and 5th week of this month, but we will notify all customers scheduled for that week when we receive updated information.

6) We normally would charge March pre-orders approximately between April 14-16, but we plan to delay those charges if normal shipments to us do not resume by then.

7) We recently placed over 2000 new items on the DCBS "in stock" link, which has all of the currently available items in our inventory. We will be placing the majority of these items on sale on Friday, April 3rd at 12:00 PM EST and the sale will last until the following Friday, April 10th at 12:00 PM EST. Single issues and collectibles will be an additional 20% off and trade paperbacks, hardcovers, and graphic novels will be an additional 10% off. Exceptions may apply.

Still wishing you all stay safe and healthy!

Sincerely,
The DCBS Team

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I've been diving deep into my older music files and I found the OG Fullmetal Alchemist soundtracks. This song is still amazing but sad as shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.