• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
So I got caught up in the latest news; kinda knew the compromise was too odd to actually work. My question is, what the hell is going to happen now? They haven't given any clue as to when the stoppage will end. Honestly, despite how much I hate it, I think they should just go digital and give shops trades to sell.

I think the Big 2 have been trying to find a solution, but if nothing is found within the next month or so they'll just release digital and then try to get the backlog sent to stores once they are able.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Buttzerker Avengers Initiative Vol. 1 and 2 are on sale and BOGO. How much is this series going to endear me to Taskmaster?

He doesn't show up until around issue 8 but from there he's consistently awesome. Initiative Tasky is a nice mix of unusually cruel and unusually pleasant but he strikes a good balance

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
RIP Gimenez, your art on Metabarons is one of the best I've ever seen in any comic. Ever.

Your work will never be forgotten.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RIP to my fellow Argentine. The response down there has been about as good as I could hope it would be, but the virus doesn't care who it takes.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
absolutely tragic and unnecessary death. completely heartbreaking. rip gimenez.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Coke Zero is fucking disgusting
Lies.
tumblr_m7bhhbyGm71ru1wbho2_250.gif

:( Gimenez has passed away. Fucking corona.

Damn. RIP.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I finished DC One Million! I surprisingly don't have many thoughts about it. Cross-over events typically go a lot of placed, but wow did DC One Million go a lot of places. Dozens of characters, each with their own one-shot. It was ... a lot. But in terms of events, it wasn't so bad. They all just had fun with the future playground, or in some cases had fun with a future hero in the modern era, and then didn't have to worry about putting the toys away since the future could just be ignored afterward. It's definitely one of my least favorite Grant Morrison stories, I will say that. I really didn't see anything notable or special in his individual work. But I have pretty high standards for Morrison.

Ultimately, glad to have read it. Glad to have it on the shelf. Ready to read something else.

edit: backlog rng has picked Umbrella Academy. I've got both vol. 1 + 2 here to read.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019
I think GMo's big achievement in that was simply directing a billion books and their creatives for a month.
Also, JLA is him doing an intentionally mass market vanilla book, so it wasn't really all that tricky.

edit: JLA Classified #1-3 is where he starts doing the big conceptual stuff with the JL, which leads into Seven Solders, Final Crisis, and Multiversity.

Last edited:

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think GMo's big achievement in that was simply directing a billion books and their creatives for a month.
Also, JLA is him doing a mass market book, so it wasn't really all that tricky.
In that regard, it was definitely a success. It was impressive how every story fleshed out the future in interesting ways.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Coke Zero tastes like real Coke. Diet Coke is a twist on the New Coke that everyone despised. Go figure that Diet Coke has such a massive following. My wife is a huge fan. It tastes like aspartame incarnate. Absolutely disgusting.

I'm reading the Dark Nights: Metal storyline and it's...something. Halfway through and it feels like it's supposed to be consequential but isn't. I can't imagine any other outcome than a return to normal. Which, in a way, summarizes every single comic book event I've ever read. Comics...

May 24, 2019
It did have consequence. It'll be at least four years later when we have a chance of being free of the laughing Batman.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coke Zero tastes like real Coke. Diet Coke is a twist on the New Coke that everyone despised. Go figure that Diet Coke has such a massive following. My wife is a huge fan. It tastes like aspartame incarnate. Absolutely disgusting.

I'm reading the Dark Nights: Metal storyline and it's...something. Halfway through and it feels like it's supposed to be consequential but isn't. I can't imagine any other outcome than a return to normal. Which, in a way, summarizes every single comic book event I've ever read. Comics...
eh i like coke zero but i don't think it tastes like original coke

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I work at a convenience store and a customer asked me if Mountain Dew Zero Sugar was the same as regular Mountain Dew. I had to then somehow explain to them all the different kinds of Mountain Dew, being someone who only drank non-diet Mountain Dews, and who the last time I did drink Mountain Dew I drank Black Label because it was the only kind that didn't just taste like syrup and tasted like an actual flavor. I don't drink soda really anymore. Nothing with caffeine. Fucks with my epilepsy.
That's on my list too. I only saw Season 1 so far. I wanna finish up She-Ra first.
My man

She-Ra is some good shit. Unironically using the sentence "You can hack the planet" is the sign of a good show. Also S5 in May.
Saipha? Saifa? Syfa?

Maybe Higgins will give it a rest on Twitter for a bit
Or, and hear me out:
I speak for myself on all past, present, and future twitter posts:

Shut the fuck up Ryan Higgins
I feel like I say this a couple times a week, but nobody reads mainstream American comics. All of us are anomalies. The industry is so incredibly small when compared to any of the other forms of entertainment we regularly talk about. So when any of us shrug and say "the way things are worked for me!", the context there is that every single one of us is a crazy person for putting up with what we put up with. Normal people don't put up with any of this, and other forms of entertainment don't ask them to, to anywhere near the same degree.
This is correct. No average reader looking to read some X-Men comics is going to go, "wow all right so I'll google what happened there." No. They just want to read a story about some superheroes beating the shit out of some supervillains without having to do homework. Having to do homework is literally the stereotype of the medium and why people make fun of comics and don't want to get into it.
Have you seen the new Monster Hydro? Its like a monster, but in a water rather than a fizzy drink. I have one of those a day. Tastes better, and its water. So its gotta be good for you too.

I keep hearing about this stuff called Liquid IV that sounds interesting, but I havent seen it in stores yet.
This can't be real logic
ngl, i wouldn't drink something called bawls
I remember it being really popular when I was in middle school 1) because of it's name and we were adolescents and 2) because it has an insane amount of over caffeine.
backlog rng has picked Umbrella Academy. I've got both vol. 1 + 2 here to read.
That's some real top tier shit. Not like that GreatValue Netflix show.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I saw Venom trending on Twitter and guys he has arrived to make 2020 even more not fun.

This is actually some of kind of worm or something like that.

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
Recommend me some good Deadpool stories (if there are any). I read Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe last night and thought it was rubbish.

Also recommendations of any light hearted funny Marvel stuff (like Superior Foes of Spider-Man or Gwenpool).

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Recommend me some good Deadpool stories (if there are any). I read Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe last night and thought it was rubbish.

Also recommendations of any light hearted funny Marvel stuff (like Superior Foes of Spider-Man or Gwenpool).
The Duggan run. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly if you're just looking for one story.

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
This whole thing has just been a giant mess. I cant help but look at South Korea, who got their first case the exact same day as the US, and wonder how the fuck they were so much better prepared than the United Fucking States of Amurica
Not to excuse the shambolic response in the US and other places in the West but South Korea and other countries in the region experienced SARS in the early 2000s and learnt from it. Look at Taiwan's response to it. One would hope that the US, UK and other countries now facing COVID-19 learn from the experience so the response is better should something else come along.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017

Yeah, Duggan's deadpool run is great, and Kelly's is also real good but there's only 4 issues out right now.

For light hearted funny stuff check out Squirrel Girl!

There's a Chose Your Own Adventure Deadpool mini by Immortal Hulk's Al Ewing, so that's probably alright.
This one was really fun!! lots of different pathways and the decisions you made would affect the paths you could take in later issues.

I mean, here's one of the 96 'pages' of an issue:
Ymczisj.jpg
So, like, in a regular print comic it looks like a regular comic with pages with several panels and stuff, but since flipping through pages is harder on digital, they made it so each panel was a page and that way when they say "go to panel 47" you just travel to page 47 and thats it.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
This guy has an amazing collection of custom bound books

One day ill get my DnA Legion books bound. Im just missing like 2 issues.

hiro_x

Nov 2, 2017
Hey! I want to start reading X-men/Mutant, specifically how they lost their powers (House of M, I think?) but I don't know where to start or which books to read. Can someone point me to a site/reddit/forum that has a complete list? Thanks!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Hey! I want to start reading X-men/Mutant, specifically how they lost their powers (House of M, I think?) but I don't know where to start or which books to read. Can someone point me to a site/reddit/forum that has a complete list? Thanks!
Here is a good one: https://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/guide-part-4-house-of-m/

The main event is just collected in House of M. Everything else is tie ins that are for only if you are interested.

Also, the lead up to this event is in Avengers Disassembled. Which is Avengers issues 500-503, and Avengers Finale #1.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I know it's a full week after the fact, but I just realized something about X-Men/Fantastic Four #3:

Wolverine is going to have to get thrown into the hole after this. He won't, but he broke one of Krakoa's core laws and has no defense.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Yeah I'm actually not sure where Omega Men 2 will go if it actually happens. Omega Men already showed that it is cyclical, the rulers have become the tyrants they replaced. Maybe it can go in an "actual good change" direction but I feel that will undermine the message of the first

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So I finished Talon and boy was that a wild book. The weakest point being that Guillem March leaves and the art that replaces him is not as strong. It's dark, moody, angsty, twisty, and full of all the scumbaggery, but it's got some good classic superhero shit. It never feels needlessly hopeless or edgy despite being as dark as it is, and that's what I appreciate about it.

My biggest problem with it is that at one point Bane gets an offer from Pennyworth of Earth 3 to join The Society, which is set up for Forever Evil: Arkham War (a super fun book, by the way). This burns his relationship with Sebastian Clark, so a scene happens in which Bane appears to kill him, but apparently not because Clark appears perfectly fine later to go on to the end of the book. Obviously this means Bane didn't kill Clark and the panel is technically ambiguous, but it still bothers me.

That said I love Calvin and his whole supporting cast. Calvin's a classic 00's emo superhero, but never so overbearingly so that it feels like an annoying cliche. He still has a sense of humor and a bright enough sense to reign in the whole self-destructive "you don't understand the danger I bring" mentality to keep it from getting painful to read. His gimmick as an escape artist expert is refreshing, as opposed to an acrobat or martial artist or street punk. The focus on the Court of Owls only shows how much mythology this one addition to the DCU has really brought because honestly they could develop the shit out of this. There's a random one-shot collected that's about a Talon written by Marguerite Bennett that has nothing to do with the rest of the book. It's a good one-shot, but it's relevance is a zero so I'm not sure why it's there.

Anyways I'd recommend it and I hope these characters show up again. Maybe in Tynion's Batman since it's Tynion. Maybe in Nightwing since the Parliament of Owls is so frequently involved with Dick. Who knows.

Yeah I'm actually not sure where Omega Men 2 will go if it actually happens. Omega Men already showed that it is cyclical, the rulers have become the tyrants they replaced. Maybe it can go in an "actual good change" direction but I feel that will undermine the message of the first
All of the actual Omega Men are alive according to Andreyko's Supergirl

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.