• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone signed on for the ComicsHub thing yet lol? Marvel or DC specifically?

I mean, I can understand some of the smaller publishers that need every bit they can get and might not want to be giving away a free digital copy. They really should have reached out and talked to publishers before making an announcement like that. Its an awesome idea in theory and would have totally helped if pubs were on board. But greed is a bitch.

Cyberpunk, Avengers and the new consoles will be delayed.
I dont mind if the new consoles are delayed. There hasnt been any big announcements for launch titles anyway. But damn, if Cyberpunk is delayed, that will really suck.

Sounds like the biggest hurdle with the delays is getting physical copies printed, shipped, and stocked in stores. If they think that digital sales would be enough the delays wouldnt be warranted. But I guess Schrier was saying that Sony felt that they would loose too many sales without having the physical version of The Last of Us in stores.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone signed on for the ComicsHub thing yet lol? Marvel or DC specifically?

I mean, I can understand some of the smaller publishers that need every bit they can get and might not want to be giving away a free digital copy. They really should have reached out and talked to publishers before making an announcement like that. Its an awesome idea in theory and would have totally helped if pubs were on board. But greed is a bitch.

I dont mind if the new consoles are delayed. There hasnt been any big announcements for launch titles anyway. But damn, if Cyberpunk is delayed, that will really suck.

Sounds like the biggest hurdle with the delays is getting physical copies printed, shipped, and stocked in stores. If they think that digital sales would be enough the delays wouldnt be warranted. But I guess Schrier was saying that Sony felt that they would loose too many sales without having the physical version of The Last of Us in stores.

No one has. It looks like the intent was to try push them into doing it by announcing a fix.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017

I would guess it would be a lot when you add in that it'd include the $200 editions with the backpack and all the other stuff. And impulse purchases, which aren't what they were, but are certainly still a big factor.

I think any major release past next week is in question right now tbh. This is just going to start a domino effect. It's kinda worrying as someone who has to fill a lot of time on stream every week. Once I'm done with Resi and FFVII (the latter if I'm actually allowed to stream it from my setup, which apparently, it looks like I'm not even after release), the calendar looks bleak.

No one has. It looks like the intent was to try push them into doing it by announcing a fix.

Figures. It did seem fishy that there was silence from the publishers.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Trump out here stealing PPE shipments and spreading conspiracy theories. Japan's answer? Make a manga about how to stop the spread lol.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
what the fuck is happening on gaming side? this forum needs to be quarantined

It's literally this:

I have to say, it is even getting to me a bit now. Yesterday was tough. I miss going out to eat, or just going for a walk for the sake of it, or God help me, doing a bit of window shopping. I am super-introverted and even I am getting ground down by everything, people who are super outgoing must be demented by now. I went for my usual hospital appointment today and it is like Outbreak with all the protective gear (rightfully so of course, just a bit frightening).

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the digital foundry stuff, I don't even really know what's happening because there's been like 8 pages today and I can't

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
It's literally this:

I have to say, it is even getting to me a bit now. Yesterday was tough. I miss going out to eat, or just going for a walk for the sake of it, or God help me, doing a bit of window shopping. I am super-introverted and even I am getting ground down by everything, people who are super outgoing must be demented by now. I went for my usual hospital appointment today and it is like Outbreak with all the protective gear (rightfully so of course, just a bit frightening).

I am coming to the end of week 3 now and it is definitely starting to get to me.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My comic shop is mailing out stuff since they can't open, so I ordered a bunch of stuff from them. I hope they don't have to close permanently.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
How can a book that got an omnibus be bad?
51oLGNMvbAL.jpg

You know that book will be in an omnibus format someday
My guess is as soon as SGM finishes the next series after Curse of the White Knight, we'll get an omnibus with all three series. And it'll sell like a million copies because this is the darkest timeline.
I think HoX/PoX is good for new-ish readers. As long as they have a general understanding of the X-Men I guess. But the current Hickman on-going could be a bit off putting due to how its structured compared to the other on-goings. Its great, but I think the random one off stories might feel odd for someone new to comics.
This is pretty much where I am on it. But I mean, who hasn't read an X-Men comic by now?
Oh look Last of Us 2 delayed until further notice. The video game delays have begun.
F U C K

E V E R Y T H I N G
Comics were good this week.
giphy.gif

I did pick up Zdarsky Daredevil on sale, so I have that to read.
Xenoblade? Or are you talking about Persona 5 Royal? Im waiting for P5R to go on sale before buying it again lol. I am looking forward to that P5 Scramle tho!
Man, I enjoyed P5 but I have no desire to play it again. I already pre-purchased Xenoblade and I don't usually pre-order anything that far ahead.

Did Atlus even announce P5 Scramble for NA yet?
Hopefully this is more just American companies. I havent been super closely following how Japan has been dealing with this, but I think its safe the guess that they are doing a much better job than we are lol.
Delays are going to be worldwide, I'm sure. No one is escaping this shit.
Cyberpunk, Avengers and the new consoles will be delayed.
This all seems very likely.
Image isn't doing that Comics Hub thing

www.cbr.com

Image Comics Not Part of ComicHub 'Digital-First' Program

With Diamond Comic Distributors shut down, ComicHub is helping get new books to readers, but Image Comics has opted out.
WELP
Yep, the folks that called them jumping the gun on announcing it as a big deal were right lol
Anytime someone says "OMG THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS GOING TO CHANGE EVERYTHING OMGWTFBBQLOL" you can bet it's going to be fucking nothing.
source.gif

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know which of the The New Teen Titans Omnis has the stuff from the Judas Contract story arc?

May 24, 2019
Re: X-Men. I think people are too concerned about making things simple for new readers. I don't think coming across characters and events you don't know is such a barrier.
When I was getting back into comics, I spent half my time Googling things, and I survived.

Also, some fairly big stuff from Marvel is free this month. MU and CMX.

www.marvel.com

Marvel Unlimited Now Offering Free Access to Iconic Comic Book Stories

Free comics stories will be made available for one month on the service starting April 2.

www.marvel.com

Read These Free Comics | Marvel Universe

From Marvel classics, to must-read runs, jump start your comic reading with these events, intro arcs, and storylines.

This is great!

Hopefully this is more just American companies. I havent been super closely following how Japan has been dealing with this, but I think its safe the guess that they are doing a much better job than we are lol.

It doesn't seem like they've been taking shutdowns and quarantining very seriously, which I guess works out for producing things.

Yea that makes sense. Shame that no one jumped on board after the announcement.

It's only been a day, bruv.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Re: X-Men. I think people are too concerned about making things simple for new readers. I don't think coming across characters and events you don't know is such a barrier.
When I was getting back into comics, I spent half my time Googling things, and I survived.
Yeah, I agree. If someone wants into comics the warts will either turn them away or become something they find some joy in navigating. I like the quirkiness of superhero comic continuity and hunting down when a thing happened.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Despite being positioned by some members of the comic book press less than 48 hours ago as the solution that "saved" the comic book Direct Market, the team behind the proposal involving the ComicHub suite of tools are pulling back their plans for a temporary retail solution to Diamond Comic Distributors' suspension of service due the coronavirus.

While largely emphasizing how retailers and publishers could start using the system rather than why they should use the system, Colson proposed ComicHub be used as a means for brick-and-mortar (or mail-order) comic book retailers and publishers to generate revenue during Diamond's shut-down

Jon Arvedon of CBR reported just hours ago that "news broke that ComicHub was stepping in to help get new comics into the hands of readers" (ComicHub wasn't and isn't stepping in, it was a proposal seeking support and is no longer) and that Image Comics is "opting out of the temporary distribution method" (Image can't opt out of a system that doesn't and now won't exist).

While retailers, readers, and creators all await more word from the major publishers - particularly Marvel and DC - how they play to deal with this crisis, perhaps this episode will serve as a cautionary tale about asking the hard questions first.

tenor.gif

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
So going back to his March 29th post (that was posted in this tread iirc), he knew his fellow retailers weren't happy with a solution like that?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
retailers effectively saying they either want everything shut down until business is normal again or they want not-diamond solutions that are effectively just the same business as normal again is going to kill off a lot of stores. a lot more than if some sort of digital+physical solution can't be compromised on.

May 24, 2019
The industry know most of the audience are chuds who won't accept a pretty basic compromise of reading digital for a few months and having gaps in their worthless collections.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
I feel like I say this a couple times a week, but nobody reads mainstream American comics. All of us are anomalies. The industry is so incredibly small when compared to any of the other forms of entertainment we regularly talk about. So when any of us shrug and say "the way things are worked for me!", the context there is that every single one of us is a crazy person for putting up with what we put up with. Normal people don't put up with any of this, and other forms of entertainment don't ask them to, to anywhere near the same degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.