• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like all of the Overwatch issues are free on CMX. Were they always free?

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real champions use the quarantine as the time to read all 843 issues of The Amazing Spider-Man.

just finished ASM 114 and 115!

found some google doc with the full chronology with all the side books incorporated, this is gonna be one of my stay at home things for the next month+

docs.google.com

Spider-Man 616 Chronology v1.12

Spider-Man Chronology <a href="http://www.reddit.com/user/kiekan/">Created by Kiekan</a> Version: 1.12 Last Update: 07.02.2020 Story Arc/Issues,Notes 01 - Silver Age Spider-Man Untold Tales of Spider-Man -001,Actually about Peter Parker's parents, Richard and Mary Spectacular Spider-Man v1 -001,...

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've read all of ASM in order. Took me two years with breaks. I wouldn't do it again.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
HoX/PoX expects a base level of understanding about certain classic X-Men concepts (ones that we totally take for granted), and for people that go in without that understanding, it creates a weird situation where people start anticipating payoffs to things that weren't actually setups. Things come off as a tease for something that will be explored in greater depth later, but that isn't what's actually going on, so there never actually is a follow-up. Those things are just subtle nods to existing concepts that people familiar with comics already know. That level of not even being able to parse what's intended to be a mystery thread to follow, and what is never actually going to go anywhere because it's something you're expected to know, make the basic mechanics of the story unfriendly to someone who is truly a newbie.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh look Last of Us 2 delayed until further notice. The video game delays have begun.

And for comics, if someone did want to read HoX/PoX then what would be recommended reading to have some base level understanding of X-Men concepts?

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
If I was going to do a full Spidey read-through again I would skip:

Everything between Conway and Stern
Mackie's run
OMD
OMIT
The post-Superior volume.

The first one because it's boring and like 9 years of comics. The others because they're really awful.

Oh look Last of Us 2 delayed until further notice. The video game delays have begun.

And for comics, if someone did want to read HoX/PoX then what would be recommended reading to have some base level understanding of X-Men concepts?

New X-Men by Morrison is probably the best bet for something that isn't like 200 issues long. It has literal mutant genocide and focuses on things like mutant identity iirc.

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

New X-Men, Astonishing X-Men. Nothing post AvX.

TLoUII is a tough one. I don't have many games on order and now I may have to get the dreaded Animal Crossing.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about actual specific people or imagining that someone would have this experience? I know a couple people who tried to read HoX/PoX without X-Men experience and they were both very confused, one of them to the point of frustration. And these weren't dumb people, they're avid readers. Just not necessarily of comics.
I think we're talking about this subject from two different angles. I don't believe X-Men is for everyone, nor do I think Hickman is for everyone. Hell, comics aren't for everyone. I do think that Hickman's X-Men is the best starting point, the most newbie-friendly X-Men series in 20 years. That's with the understanding that maybe there is no 100% newbie-friendly starting point except X-Men #1. But if an acquaintance/someone online asked me how to start following X-Men I'd say try HoX/PoX (and have). And yeah, there's a lot of anecdotal examples of people where it was exactly what they wanted.

If a newbie wanted to know if X-Men was something they'd even have a little interest in, I'd still point them to Whedon's Astonishing. But if, right now, a newbie said they wanted to potentially start following X-Men comics, then yeah starting with HoX/PoX is significantly more likely to result in them sticking with reading X-Men stuff than otherwise and now is the absolute best time to recommend that.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Now that the dark murder simulator has been delayed everyone can get the 100 hour anime rpg about a guy who's really feeling it.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
HoX/PoX is the closest the X-Men have gotten to a true restart point since Morrison. I think what makes it so much harder for HoX/PoX to feel new-reader friendly is that it doesn't really introduce you to base concepts. It reinvents the world around the X-Men. It's so much broader and grander than anything we've seen, that rather than reinvent the X-Men for the world, it also reinvents the world for the X-Men, and as a story in and of itself it doesn't feel like it has a payoff. It doesn't feel great. It's a giant "TO BE CONTINUED?" Because if you decide you like that take on the X-Men, then by all means put more quarters in. If you don't, then drop and walk, but don't feel like you really understand the X-Men as a whole, because you won't. You can't take those concepts established in Hickman's book and flow back into previous X-Men books with a conceptual understanding.

Again, Claremont, Morrison, Whedon, and yes even Bendis are all solid beginner takes on the X-Men. Personally I would recommend Whedon above all of those, but that's my bias showing. Claremont's long and dense and his writing may not take as well with younger readers. Morrison's weird as shit. Bendis' has weak as fuck endings.
Genuinely, for a new reader, I would recommend pretty much any Daredevil run.

Very easy read with high quality.
True facts are true.
Even ignoring HoXPoX the actual main book isn't new reader friendly at all. A bunch of disconnected one-shots, several dealing with continuity things that won't mean much without prior knowledge (children of the vault, Vulcan) followed by an arc that follows Hickman's New Mutants (though all you need to know is they brought an egg back) followed by 3 tie-in issues to an event, followed by a crossover. It's probably the least new reader friendly of the entire line lol
This is imagined baggage, though. You don't need to know anything about Vulcan or the Vault that isn't provided within the book itself. If you know, it makes it more interesting. If you don't then it doesn't matter. Hickman's New Mutants, as you said, isn't too necessary, beyond "HEY WE FOUND A SPACE EGG" and that shit's been resolved kinda.

But imagine the Mystique issue without at least House of X? I'd be a wee bit confuzzled.

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Now that the dark murder simulator has been delayed everyone can get the 100 hour anime rpg about a guy who's really feeling it.

I actually debating getting either Doom, AC or Sakura Wars after I play FFVII, which is on its way to me now.

I beat the first final boss in DeadCells so maybe I'll be done that in time.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's back to Overwatch for me. :(

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's back to Overwatch for me. :(
If you like Visual Novels, Sakura Wars might be something you would like. I would check it out first though. Its like a VN with some aciton rpg elements in between.

I am looking forward to getting in on some Overwatch when 2 comes out. Just wonder how long thatll take now tho lol.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
If you like Visual Novels, Sakura Wars might be something you would like. I would check it out first though. Its like a VN with some aciton rpg elements in between.

I am looking forward to getting in on some Overwatch when 2 comes out. Just wonder how long thatll take now tho lol.

7 years

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time seeing Hickman's X-Men not having the same effect on others as his Avengers did on me. As someone unfamiliar with much of the Marvel U at time the time, I found much of it various levels of confusing - at least the main book. New Avengers was better in that regard. Whereas his FF I immediately fell in love as soon as I saw the Council of Reeds.

But I'm also not really a fan of his approach, it's very unsubtle in how it sets things up for the future. Like "here is a thing I'm introducing now but then ignoring for a year+ when it's a big deal." I want more storytelling like Morrison, like how his JLA ended up combining concepts from most of his various arcs in clever ways. Batman was also like this.

Xenoblade? Or are you talking about Persona 5 Royal? Im waiting for P5R to go on sale before buying it again lol. I am looking forward to that P5 Scramle tho!

Xenoblade lol

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
things are already starting to look up

CkXTIK2.png

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, the folks that called them jumping the gun on announcing it as a big deal were right lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having a horrible fucking day. Time to impulsively buy comics and get in on some Immortal Hulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.