• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kappapeachie

Aug 5, 2019
Is the newest dreaming run worth the read? I've been meaning to get into sandman for years now and this feels like a good time give it a go.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Is the newest dreaming run worth the read? I've been meaning to get into sandman for years now and this feels like a good time give it a go.

Many on here love it! But I don't know how much it leans on the reader having read Sandman.

You should still read the original Sandman though. Still holds up and one of the best examples of the medium.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I have to FaceTime my doctor, in their parking lot lol...

edit: that was weird, wtf

Last edited:

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the new XMen Hickman stuff a good place to start for someone brand new to comics? My brother is interested in them but his only knowledge of XMen is the movies and Evolution.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Is the new XMen Hickman stuff a good place to start for someone brand new to comics? My brother is interested in them but his only knowledge of XMen is the movies and Evolution.
If they already have a general understanding of the X-Men and their conflicts with humans overall, sure. Start with House of X/Powers of X.
The problem is after that I dunno how new reads would feel about the actual ongoings.

And yea, the Grand Design books do a great job retelling their history in a condensed format.

Whedon's Astonishing X-Men might be a great place to go to for a straight forward X-Men on-going for a new comer too.

Last edited:

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
I woke up this morning and randomly thought why is "Empyre" spelt with a "y" instead of an "i".

I couldn't think of a good answer and got a bit annoyed bit. I think I've been inside for too long and am getting cranky.

Someone please tell there is solid lore reason for it.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I woke up this morning and randomly thought why is "Empyre" spelt with a "y" instead of an "i".

I couldn't think of a good answer and got a bit annoyed bit. I think I've been inside for too long and am getting cranky.

As in Pyre maybe? An Empire primed to come burning down?

Or it could be SEO reasons I guess.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

It was always spelled with a 'y' and we are the ones that betrayed the spelling!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, I believe the answer is because it's a play on pyre. Wanna say Ewing confirmed that.
Yup! Something around issue 4 or 5 will make it make sense lol.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I started with New X-Men -> Astonishing as my first X-perience and had no problems.

The Hickman era is clearly designed for you to pick up multiple books so I wouldn't put it as a good starting point. Though I don't know how following the DoX trades would be.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's fun and has a great style. I'm not a huge X-men guy and haven't read all of the classic stuff, just the stuff that caught my interest. So it reads like a fun retelling catching you oup.

But for someone brand new to comics I couldn't recommend it. It's a dense read that's not representative of the tone, style, readability, art of any current comic. It's like it's own thing.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I started with New X-Men -> Astonishing as my first X-perience and had no problems.

The Hickman era is clearly designed for you to pick up multiple books so I wouldn't put it as a good starting point. Though I don't know how following the DoX trades would be.
as someone not following x-books, the line looks very dense and hard to jump into at this point. so hopefully those trades do a good job at making it all easy to follow.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
this is the deathstroke run where someone throws a nuclear submarine at deathstroke to kill him
Not the Tony Daniel run? Because that book is bad. If it is that book then it's bad, submarine or no.

Look I read the first trade and I remember going "hey this isn't good"
This is actually something I thought about constantly while reading House of X/Powers of X while it was coming out

I'm not sure. I don't think so. It's a reset status quo for people who WANTED that status quo. Like an overly long Rebirth one-shot. But for someone NEW new? Nah. And the books after kind of rely on you knowing everything established in those two to understand everything going forward for the most part.

Morrison, Whedon, Claremont, Bendis. I'd recommend those for new people.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't think Hickman's X-Men is very newbie-friendly, even if it is a reboot of sorts.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
hmm. i think hickman's x-men is very newbie-friendly. probably the best pick-up point since new x-men (noting that astonishing is more of a one-off than a starting point). i just think it can be heavy reading and may not be for everyone. starting points aren't about completely blanking the page. they're about saying, "read from here to understand the story" and I think hox/pox forward does that extremely well.

true "restart" points are rare. you basically have to blank the page. running restarts are best when they do two things. when they pause to breathe and let fans reset their feet, firstly. but second, when the new status quo they create makes it so you don't care about what came before. new readers from hox/pox are able to invest themselves in what he's doing and just enjoy it. yeah, some of it's probably weird or confusing, but that's hickman's style in the first place. it works out pretty well.

but yeah, it's not going to be for everyone. but I really don't attribute that to how good or bad of a starting point it is.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
How can a book that got an omnibus be bad?

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How can a book that got an omnibus be bad?
01Gdm6S.png

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
You know that book will be in an omnibus format someday

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, this free comics page on CMX finally works.

Nocenti's Seeds #1 is free on cmx too.

Also, some fairly big stuff from Marvel is free this month. MU and CMX.

www.marvel.com

Marvel Unlimited Now Offering Free Access to Iconic Comic Book Stories

Free comics stories will be made available for one month on the service starting April 2.

www.marvel.com

Read These Free Comics | Marvel Universe

From Marvel classics, to must-read runs, jump start your comic reading with these events, intro arcs, and storylines.

AVENGERS VS. X-MEN
CIVIL WAR
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RED GOBLIN
BLACK PANTHER BY TA-NEHISI COATES VOL. 1
THANOS WINS BY DONNY CATES
X-MEN MILESTONES: DARK PHOENIX SAGA
AVENGERS: KREE/SKRULL WAR
AVENGERS BY JASON AARON VOL. 1: THE FINAL HOST
FANTASTIC FOUR VOL. 1: FOUREVER
BLACK WIDOW VOL. 1: S.H.I.E.L.D.'S MOST WANTED
CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER ULTIMATE
CAPTAIN MARVEL VOL. 1: HIGHER, FURTHER, FASTER, MORE

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
i think hickman's x-men is very newbie-friendly.
I think it's interesting that some people have that opinion. I feel like that's one of the most impenetrable-to-newbies things you could read from Marvel or DC today.

I think some people who think of themselves as newbies have absorbed so much more random X-Men knowledge through osmosis than they even realize, and it makes it hard for them to imagine the experience of an actual newbie.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely, for a new reader, I would recommend pretty much any Daredevil run.

Very easy read with high quality.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Even ignoring HoXPoX the actual main book isn't new reader friendly at all. A bunch of disconnected one-shots, several dealing with continuity things that won't mean much without prior knowledge (children of the vault, Vulcan) followed by an arc that follows Hickman's New Mutants (though all you need to know is they brought an egg back) followed by 3 tie-in issues to an event, followed by a crossover. It's probably the least new reader friendly of the entire line lol

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I think HoX/PoX is good for new-ish readers. As long as they have a general understanding of the X-Men I guess. But the current Hickman on-going could be a bit off putting due to how its structured compared to the other on-goings. Its great, but I think the random one off stories might feel odd for someone new to comics.

Just my thoughts at least.

Im pretty sure it hit the #1 spot because all the other books that would have been in that spot sold out lol.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's interesting that some people have that opinion. I feel like that's one of the most impenetrable-to-newbies things you could read from Marvel or DC today.

I think some people who think of themselves as newbies have absorbed so much more random X-Men knowledge through osmosis than they even realize, and it makes it hard for them to imagine the experience of an actual newbie.
yeah, I guess I just disagree. if anything, I think new readers come off of hox/pox with a clearer introduction to the modern x-men than old readers who bring their x-baggage with them. they're more interested in the mysteries hickman's setting up. they care more about the new relationships as they're written.
Even ignoring HoXPoX the actual main book isn't new reader friendly at all. A bunch of disconnected one-shots, several dealing with continuity things that won't mean much without prior knowledge (children of the vault, Vulcan) followed by an arc that follows Hickman's New Mutants (though all you need to know is they brought an egg back) followed by 3 tie-in issues to an event, followed by a crossover. It's probably the least new reader friendly of the entire line lol
x-baggage example. i don't think you need any understanding of what came before to appreciate what's happening now. in fact, characterizing what's happening now by what's happened before is actively confusing or frustrating people who won't let that stuff go. to the new reader, vulcan, sinister, the vault kids, the grannies, they're all equal mysteries.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Genuinely, for a new reader, I would recommend pretty much any Daredevil run.

Very easy read with high quality.

Totally, and so many smooth jump on points. I actually got a non-comic friend to read the bendis run recently. Partially because I gave him my old HCs when I got the omnis.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
yeah, I guess I just disagree. if anything, I think new readers come off of hox/pox with a clearer introduction to the modern x-men than old readers who bring their x-baggage with them. they're more interested in the mysteries hickman's setting up. they care more about the new relationships as they're written.
Are you talking about actual specific people or imagining that someone would have this experience? I know a couple people who tried to read HoX/PoX without X-Men experience and they were both very confused, one of them to the point of frustration. And these weren't dumb people, they're avid readers. Just not necessarily of comics.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Hickman's X-Men being spread out across multiple books alone makes it far less newbie friendly than most books. I've only really seen people already into X-Men/Hickman reading it so far. Not even a knock on its quality, just my POV as someone not reading eh. Very different than going "Hey you can check out New/Astonishing if you are new" or something to that effect. At least at the moment while it's ongoing. I have no clue if the trades will be better to follow, would be nice if they are for when/if I decide to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.