• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Now that East of West is finished, what was the final verdict? The full series is available for £44 on comixology.
Honestly I thought the ending sucked. All those long boring philosophical monologues and political worldbuilding and the final message is Dude LOVE lmao! Felt like Hickman simply got bored and wanted to wrap things up.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
So, the news is just that ComicHub has the capability to track digital codes and physical copies? That's it?

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it's been posted, but TKO is going to be supporting local stores too. I got this in the newsletter from my LCS:
pq7lval.png

very cool of them to do this

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the VAT is being removed in December, though (as well as on all other digital publications)

I feel like an excuse to practice art during the confinement. If you have to reformat them though, you don't have to go to the trouble. There's a high chance I'll just give up a page in anyhow.

I was just excited about the homebrew Taskmaster fiction. Wasn't expecting that. Your Tasky fandom is awesome.

Hahah thanks. There is one extremely short one you might like for that. It's about Taskmaster and a problematic henchman. If you ever wanna do this for real I don't mind, I wanna practice my script writing anyways; but no pressure!

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Zdarsky said in his newsletter that their CMX original comic Afterlift is free, using the code "AFTERLIFT"

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
So, the news is just that ComicHub has the capability to track digital codes and physical copies? That's it?
I think the "bigger" part of it is that digital copies can now be obtained from platforms other than comixology for the major publishers and the LCSs directly see revenue from that. For us yeah, I suppose the only benefit for us is that we get a digital copy early and a physical copy later

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
That is pretty neat. They were able to solve my concern about something like that not being feasible.

So comics are saved?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Higgins explains it better:

Some of it. Let's see if there's anything caught up in it that keeps the shops from not wanting to opt in.
Well, not all shops are on the hub yet, so they would need to get it set up. Which doesnt sound all that difficult to do, but its still a whole new POS.

Also, are companies giving away these digital codes to retailers for free? Like it sounds like these guys upgraded their system to allow this to work, but it doesnt say if any of the publishers are on board yet that I read.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I think the "bigger" part of it is that digital copies can now be obtained from platforms other than comixology for the major publishers and the LCSs directly see revenue from that. For us yeah, I suppose the only benefit for us is that we get a digital copy early and a physical copy later
If you care about supporting a local business, yes. That's it. Really cool news!

I get both of these things. My LCS uses ComicHub, I'm quite familiar with it, and id happily order digital copies through there and pick up floppies when COVID blows over. My point is just, the "game-breaking" announcement is just that ComicHub has the capability to track this stuff, not that anyone has actually agreed to it. Having software that can do it versus having publishers like Marvel and DC actually agree to giving away two copies of an item for one purchase is a different story.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I get both of these things. My LCS uses ComicHub, I'm quite familiar with it, and id happily order digital copies through there and pick up floppies when COVID blows over. My point is just, the "game-breaking" announcement is just that ComicHub has the capability to track this stuff, not that anyone has actually agreed to it. Having software that can do it versus having publishers like Marvel and DC actually agree to giving away two copies of an item for one purchase is a different story.
Your last point is what I was just wondering my self. I mean, in a perfect world they will agree to give retailers a free digital copy. They said it themselves, the digital customer is completely separate from physical customers, so these are digital issues that they otherwise wouldnt have sold anyway. So they arent actually loosing money in theory. But, they just need to get everyone on board for it to work.

They have sold what I thought of as the biggest hurdle with this whole mess, so they did a great service for the big publishers in my opinion.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Oh! I thought ComicHub was doing this at the behest of Marvel/DC and the other pubs that wanted it in place!

If it is just a mechanism being put in place now, this seems like people are celebrating too soon.

Your last point is what I was just wondering my self. I mean, in a perfect world they will agree to give retailers a free digital copy. They said it themselves, the digital customer is completely separate from physical customers, so these are digital issues that they otherwise wouldnt have sold anyway. So they arent actually loosing money in theory. But, they just need to get everyone on board for it to work.

They have sold what I thought of as the biggest hurdle with this whole mess, so they did a great service for the big publishers in my opinion.

I think the biggest hurdle is not the logistics but the publishers essentially doing a buy 1 get 1 on comics. They took a step back from giving a free digital code when you buy a physical comic, why are we certain they will go in for this?

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
It's better than zero copies of an item for no purchase. Remember, this is a pandemic solution. I feel like some people are talking about the cons of it like things are still normal, and like the industry didn't just grind to a halt.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think I will build up my pull list again just to support my comic shop. Weird that of all the years to stop I pick this one.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
It's better than zero copies of an item for no purchase. Remember, this is a pandemic solution. I feel like some people are talking about the cons of it like things are still normal, and like the industry didn't just grind to a halt.

I'm not trying to be negative. I'm trying to be realistic, and put the announcement into perspective. All the BC article says is that the ComicHub application has the ability to link digital copies sold with a physical subscription. That's it. It doesn't give any publisher details or indicate whether anyone has agreed to use the tool itself. Just that it CAN do it. I would love for this to work, and I hope that publisher cooperation is announced very soon.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Right, the article did say the major publishers have been talked to, so I hope the announcements from the publishers themselves comes soon

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Right, the article did say the major publishers have been talked to, so I hope the announcements from the publishers themselves comes soon

Ditto. I was so excited for stuff like Empyre and Outlawed. I recognize that excitement is insignificant in the face of what we're all dealing with, and I'm fine with waiting, but if there is some way to read new stuff while still getting my floppies and supporting my LCS without having to risk exposure? That would be incredible.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i was really hoping the big announcement would be done hand in hand with marvel and dc. doesn't seem like that's the case, which makes the current status quo of no digital comics still the expectation. bit of a bummer, but it is a good thing in the long run.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
i was really hoping the big announcement would be done hand in hand with marvel and dc. doesn't seem like that's the case, which makes the current status quo of no digital comics still the expectation. bit of a bummer, but it is a good thing in the long run.
There still could be a big announcement very soon with the publishers involved. This is a BC article, and their whole thing is jumping the gun and bring premature.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe this is the official announcement

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a good idea in theory, but I wonder how many people who buy the codes are willing to go out of their way to trade them in a for a floppy in the first place? I can't imagine it being a large percentage
It's not a huge percentage, but it's an option that allows publishers to keep releasing digital, while having an option for stores to make money from existing customers. The option is the point.

The general hope I'm reading between the lines is since Marvel and DC already gives previews to ComicHub, that the company has more leverage to convince them this plan will work, without a disruption to weekly publishing.

My guess is still that the Big Two will jack up the price for these digital/physical bundle issues to cover costs. Theoretically, since it's digital first, then physical, then takes care of one of the bigger problems, that folks would buy physical and give the digital code away.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What does that stuff mean for CMX though? Will they be back in business or stuck waiting for the print copies to show up?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
What does that stuff mean for CMX though? Will they be back in business or stuck waiting for the print copies to show up?

Assuming it goes through, this would be a separate system for digital comics as I'm reading it. Publishers would just be able to release their books on CMX as well, without angering retailers.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just read the Jim Lee FF and I gotta say, it's not *terrible*, because i like his work in general. And the story is a fairly safe rehash of FF stuff, unlike Heroes reborn cap and avengers.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, Death Stranding is 50% off, so if your tired of not reading comics.....

Think im gunna grab Plague's tale and Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just get the Tracy Scops artists to work for you, they already look like house style.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
panel 1: messi says "shonen jumps are good"
panel 2: freeza responds with sexy bunny waifu gif
panel 3: aimless responds with anime girl giving a thumbs up gif

hey look im better than garfield

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
So, the first issue of Batman The Adventures Continue was a lot of fun. Dini and Templeton are on form. Plus that tease of
Jason
. Whew!

The giant robot was a bit lame though.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
panel 1: messi says "shonen jumps are good"
panel 2: freeza responds with sexy bunny waifu gif
panel 3: aimless responds with anime girl giving a thumbs up gif