• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
itll either be an april fools thing or something shit, like a free comic event and bendis is writing it

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i think some type of digital + portion goes to shop, or digital + shop will have a physical copy of it for you when it reopens at no extra charge seems most likely. potentially with new distributors getting those issues to comic shops.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
i think some type of digital + portion goes to shop, or digital + shop will have a physical copy of it for you when it reopens at no extra charge seems most likely. potentially with new distributors getting those issues to comic shops.
That doesn't seem like it's something that these people would get that excited about.

May 24, 2019
Lets give people a free funkopop too with each lol

This one:
7Cpobh9.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight could probably produce some decent Funkos since all the characters have black voids for eyes to begin with.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Taking the time in this new-comic-less wasteland, I've been clearing through my omnibus backlog.

I'm almost done with the Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1, the full Lee/Ditko era. Very strong stories across the board, but the Master Planner arc is just... the perfect Spider-Man story. I knew about it, I knew the iconic "Spidey under the big metal thing" scene, I knew who was pulling the strings, but actually seeing it in action as a three-part story? It hits every trope but never feels bogged down. And on top of that, it introduces Gwen and Harry! Insane.

I also read through the Ultimate Omnibus (the Millar/Hitch one), for the first time in like 10+ years? Since I was a teenager, certainly. In the light of 2020, and having read their commentary, I do feel the mean-spirited-ness shines through way more than I remembered, but it's really quite good? As a "period piece" at least. Characters bounce off each other well, lots of well-executed plotlines, art is phenomenal. Millar is a character who hasn't grown out of the late 90s/early 00s, but in that era, he feels at home.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Methinks we'll get the digital/physical compromise but comics won't start again until next month so the logistics can be sorted out

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The only way the digital/physical bundle works is if the print books has a code for the digital, like the old days. They are not going to print hundreds of thousands of comics for a month just to give away for free. But they can give away free digital copies.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
You buy the digital copy and I guess a barcode or UPC that when you head to the LCS, they'll give you a hard copy, it's really weird.
But I switched to digital precisely to avoid floppies piling up. Why would I buy digital and then drive somewhere to pick up future recycle bin fodder? This makes no sense.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai Vol 1 By Kamoshida, Nanamiya - Bunny girls do not live in libraries. This is simply common sense. And yet, that's exactly where Sakuta runs into one in the wild. More bewildering is who the bunny girl is: Mai Sakurajima, an upperclassman and well-known actress currently taking a break from industry work. Wanting to find out more about the mystery surrounding Mai (and maybe get a little closer to her in the process), Sakuta launches an investigation to figure out what's making this bunny girl invisible to everyone around them.

This is so good.

The anime opening song? fantastic.

Tell me this doesn't bop. Tell me.

tenor.gif

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
You know what's not rad about living on a mountain? The power outages. Internet hasn't come back. I have one bar of 4g on my phone in certain parts of the house.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
If they do digital to print codes, that probably is going to jack up the price a bit. Maybe a dollar or so?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
If they do digital to print codes, that probably is going to jack up the price a bit. Maybe a dollar or so?
But how would the logistics of that even work? I mean, how do you differentiate between the combo deal and just a digital version. I guess 2 different skus on CMX. Then how do you get a free copy from your lcs? Do they have to pay for the issue and then get the money back from Diamond after you give them your code?

Just dont see it working. It was way easier when you were getting a free digital copy with a print version. Seems way to complicated the other way around. And I just dont see Diamond willing to print all those comics for basically free unless Marvel and DC are footing the bill for the retailers.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
But how would the logistics of that even work? I mean, how do you differentiate between the combo deal and just a digital version. I guess 2 different skus on CMX. Then how do you get a free copy from your lcs? Do they have to pay for the issue and then get the money back from Diamond after you give them your code?

Just dont see it working. It was way easier when you were getting a free digital copy with a print version. Seems way to complicated the other way around. And I just dont see Diamond willing to print all those comics for basically free unless Marvel and DC are footing the bill for the retailers.
Diamond doesn't print the books. The publishers uses different companies for that and Diamond distributes them. The April books for example are all already printed and sitting in warehouses.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Diamond doesn't print the books. The publishers uses different companies for that and Diamond distributes them. The April books for example are all already printed and sitting in warehouses.
To be fair, this isn't at all Diamond's fault. A worldwide pandemic is something no one in the industry could have predicted. But just the same, it's probably going to irrevocably fuck them.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, my bad. Then theres still the packaging and shipping costs that would have to be taken care of.

To be fair, this isn't at all Diamond's fault. A worldwide pandemic is something no one in the industry could have predicted. But just the same, it's probably going to irrevocably fuck them.
Yea, yea. No ones laying blame. Just talking through what the options could be for this sort of thing.

I guess movies have pretty much the same problem, but I assume they have multiple distributors for films. Im glad brick and mortar video game retailers and physical copy customers dont hold such a large possition in the video game market lol, or wed be all the way screwed.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe they aren't releasing digital. Digital game sales are doing very well during the time of self quarantine. Comics would have likely seen an uptick for a slowly dying industry. Floppies will still go the way of the dinosaur regardless of what Marvel and DC choose to do these coming months.

Signed,
Non-Paleolithic Man Who Reads Digital Comics

Status
Not open for further replies.