• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
When the new 52 started I gave it a very fair shake, I read nearly every first issue and I stuck with a lot of series until the ones I liked the most were cancelled.

I did it checkout Rebirth and Convergence. But years after the fact. I waited until Doomsday Watch was done. And I really liked that story. But I'm also one of those weird people who thinks that Final Crisis was an amazing meta story.

So here is my question.

As a fan of the original Vertigo Inprint(especially Hellrazer and Sandman) as a fan of the old continuity.

Especially as its applies to Batman, Superman, and the Teen Titans.

What DC comics should I be reading right now?

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As some one who reads DC on their App so I am like 6 months behind it's kind of a mess right now, don't know if I could recommend much.

Actually read James Tynion IV's Detective Comics run, that was excellent.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Justice League Dark, from Rebirth to it being folded into Brian Bendis' Justice League book.

Tynion's Detective Comics run and his Batman run.

Omega Men, Superman: Up In The Sky, and Supergirl: Woman Of Tomorrow all by Tom King. As a matter of fact, any of Tom King's short run 6-12 issue mini-series that don't have Batman as the main focus are 100% for sure reads.

Ram V's Swamp Thing. Anything by Ram V, really.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
you can edit thread titles for like 10 mins after posting a thread

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Also, should mention Far Sector and Naomi vol 1. Far Sector is gorgeous in writing and artwork especially.

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
In a similar boat as you OP, I'm currently reading the third TPB of Super Sons which is a really fun book about Superboy and Damian. I'm looking to start reading around where you're at too

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I second everything MadTitan suggested and would also add a few:

Si Spurrier's John Constantine
Tynion's Detective Comics and then his Batman run were both good
Batman Universe by Bendis if you enjoy the sillier side of Batman.
War of Jokes and Riddles by King if you enjoy a grimmer Batman.
Superman - Up in the Sky
Tomasi's Superman that started with Rebirth and went through #45
and
Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow (not strictly one of the characters you asked about but an absolutely amazing self-contained comic).

OP
OP
deimosmasque

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
you can edit thread titles for like 10 mins after posting a thread
I already fixed it.

I noticed the bad title right after I hit post.
Justice League Dark, from Rebirth to it being folded into Brian Bendis' Justice League book.

Tynion's Detective Comics run and his Batman run.

Omega Men, Superman: Up In The Sky, and Supergirl: Woman Of Tomorrow all by Tom King. As a matter of fact, any of Tom King's short run 6-12 issue mini-series that don't have Batman as the main focus are 100% for sure reads.

Ram V's Swamp Thing. Anything by Ram V, really.
I'll check those out.

As some one who reads DC on their App so I am like 6 months behind it's kind of a mess right now, don't know if I could recommend much.

Actually read James Tynion IV's Detective Comics run, that was excellent.
It's been a mess for nearly a decade at this point.

OP
OP
deimosmasque

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I second everything MadTitan suggested and would also add a few:

Si Spurrier's John Constantine
Tynion's Detective Comics and then his Batman run were both good
Batman Universe by Bendis if you enjoy the sillier side of Batman.
War of Jokes and Riddles by King if you enjoy a grimmer Batman.
Superman - Up in the Sky
Tomasi's Superman that started with Rebirth and went through #45
and
Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow (not strictly one of the characters you asked about but an absolutely amazing self-contained comic).
Okay, I'm going to be a little petty right now. Unless a John Constantine series resolves the idea of what happened to the original in the Hellblazer forced ending, I am not interested.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I already fixed it.

I noticed the bad title right after I hit post.

I'll check those out.

It's been a mess for nearly a decade at this point.
Yeah it has. Like Someone else mentioned Tom King's minis are great too (except hero's in crisis) but Adam Strange and Rorschach are both good, and I would wager his Mister Miracle is better than his Vision mini.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly fell off of DC during the latter end of Rebirth, but from what I've gathered, I feel like most of the standout books are either A) Batman stuff or B) outside of continuity stuff. Black Label books, standalone minis, that sort of thing.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'm going to be a little petty right now. Unless a John Constantine series resolves the idea of what happened to the original in the Hellblazer forced ending, I am not interested.
That's fair. I never read how Hellblazer ended.
One other suggestion, out of left field: The Flintstones. It's a biting social satire and is wonderful.

OP
OP
deimosmasque

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yeah it has. Like Someone else mentioned Tom King's minis are great too (except hero's in crisis) but Adam Strange and Rorschach are both good, and I would wager his Mister Miracle is better than his Vision mini.
Yeah I got Heroes in Crisis because I thought it would be a very interesting story to tell.

Oops.

His Mister Miracle book is supposedly really good so it's on my short list.

And Vision is a book I already read and bought the floppies to, so I know he can be a good writer.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I got Heroes in Crisis because I thought it would be a very interesting story to tell.

Oops.

And Vision is a book I already read and bought the floppies to, so I know he can be a good writer.
His Supergirl story is literally the best Supergirl story I've ever read.

I may only be saying this because I haven't read the entirety of the Peter David run, but I'm saying this nonetheless.

Jun 17, 2019
Tom Taylor's Nightwing, you may like his Superman book too.

Supersons by Tomasz

Robin by Williams

Flash with Wally i hear is good.

Dan jergens Action comics previously

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Oops.

Heroes in Crisis is a rare misfire for him. Sheriff, Omega Men, Mister Miracle, Supergirl, and Strange Adventures are all good or great (I personally like Supergirl the most).

OP
OP
deimosmasque

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I mostly fell off of DC during the latter end of Rebirth, but from what I've gathered, I feel like most of the standout books are either A) Batman stuff or B) outside of continuity stuff. Black Label books, standalone minis, that sort of thing.
I try to read Harleen but it felt off for me.

I don't need mature subjects in my superhero comics.

I am the guy who cheered on when Marvel brought back Brute Force.

I want silly and I want real. Is superhero comics, they're always going to be stupid oh, they're always going to be silly, and they're always going to be weird.

The reason I didn't like new 52 oh, it's because it felt like the old days. As in the Dark Age.

His Supergirl story is literally the best Supergirl story I've ever read.

I may only be saying this because I haven't read the entirety of the Peter David run, but I'm saying this nonetheless.
As a person who grew up with Peter David comics for a very long time. It fills my heart with hope that Peter David can still write a comic book

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I was really into the Rebirth Superman stuff at the time. So the mainline Superman by Tomasi and Gleason, Actions Comics by Jurgens, and Supersons also by Tomasi. Up in the Sky by Tom King was also really good.

Those were some good comics. And then Bendis took over.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I was really into the Rebirth Superman stuff at the time. So the mainline Superman by Tomasi and Gleason, Actions Comics by Jurgens, and Supersons also by Tomasi. Up in the Sky by Tom King was also really good.

Speaking of Bendis, if there's one arc of his to read, it's Truth. At least this issue:

17superman-superJumbo.jpg

And the one prior to it. The rest doesn't matter much, but 17 and 18 are musts.

Also, the current Action Comics run is pretty dope, too.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Bendis, if there's one arc of his to read, it's Truth. At least this issue:

17superman-superJumbo.jpg

And the one prior to it. The rest doesn't matter much, but 17 and 18 are musts.

Also, the current Action Comics run is pretty dope, too.
Ha, I actually hated those issues. I'm just not really enamored by "character reveals their identity" stories when most of the people he's close to already know it. Just feels like a gimmick.

There are actually small moments in his run that I liked. Like when he confronts the Red Cloud and gives a small monologue about how she should not mistake his mercy for weakness. In general I think the most common praise of the book is his voice for Superman is good which I have to agree with. I also liked the concept of the Invisible Mafia even if the execution was lacking.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Bendis is gone from the Superman books, so right now they have Action Comics which is by Philip Kennedy Johnson. It's like Gladiator in Warworld with a dark look and tone and Jon's solo book by Tom Taylor which is also good.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Ha, I actually hated those issues. I'm just not really enamored by "character reveals their identity" stories when most of the people he's close to already know it. Just feels like a gimmick.

There are actually small moments in his run that I liked. Like when he confronts the Red Cloud and gives a small monologue about how she should not mistake his mercy for weakness. In general I think the most common praise of the book is his voice for Superman is good which I have to agree with. I also liked the concept of the Invisible Mafia even if the execution was lacking.
I like those issues specifically because of the small moments involved moreso than the arc itself. If it were me, it would've just been a reveal for Perry and the extended Daily Planet staff.

Invisible Mafia was a dope idea, though.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Bendis is gone from the Superman books, so right now they have Action Comics which is by Philip Kennedy Johnson. It's like Gladiator in Warworld with a dark look and tone and Jon's solo book by Tom Taylor which is also good.
I actually tried to get into both of those and wasn't feeling either one of them. Maybe I can try Action Comics again because I never got far and now that they're on Warworld maybe it's picked up.

But I'm done with Jon's book. I gave it 7(?) issues hoping it would click for me and nothing. I just find teenage Jon so dull and passive. The premise of the book being a Superman who is more active in fighting social problems feels like empty words. And his relationship with Jay is so boring. I guess it found an audience and good for them but I got nothing out of it.