• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Time will tell if Brie Larson starts to show some excitement instead of bored face.

Gamora is supposed be most dangerous woman in galaxy but never does anything plus no Nova ruins her relationship with him

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Save for Rocket and Groot... you could probably say this about the entire GOTG.

I liked Cosmic Marvel Quill. I'm... not that sure about MCU. Gamora only shares the name and the skin color. Drax too (though I find him hilarious in the movies, tbh). Mantis is like a completely different character - essentially no resemblance whatsoever.

A friend of mine is a big comics fan and he fucking hates MCU Peter Parker. He basically says "they fucked over Miles Morales by giving a lot of stuff from his backstory to a Peter Parker in name only".

EDIT: oh, yeah, I can't believe I forgot he also hates the corporate bootlicking (due to Stark worshipping) in the MCU Spidey. He hates that with a passion.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I feel like there are a number of things that the MCU is just too afraid to dive into. A BIG part of Iron Man's character was his struggle with alcoholism, but I feel like they felt that was too "heavy" for the movies, so 3 attempted to replace it with PTSD from the Avengers fight.

Oct 25, 2017
I legit really like Maximus so that terrible Inhumans show was rough.

Other than that there's no one that I'm attached to from the comics that I really hate. Hulk is different and I prefer him in the comics, but the MCU version is fine. 100% prepared to hate what they do to my boy Taskmaster though

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the minority but I'm not a fan of Spider-Man's characterization. He's fixated on Tony Stark in a way that betrays corporate intentions and it's irritating to me as a longtime fan. Plenty of people are happy with it though.
I'm more bothered about him being the Robin to Tony's Batman. It felt like a real downgrade for the character.

I thought I was nearly alone on this one.

Last edited:

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
eh, we've had 5 movies for that to happen. even with ironman gone they're going to continue giving him father figures to work under. next movie looks to be dr strange and/or other spidermen

eh, it's going to be over a longer period of time than 5 movies. That's not even 25% of the MCU. 1-2 more Avengers movies into the future and he'll start to show his leadership qualities. He'll also be older and more mature and not in school.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I legit really like Maximus so that terrible Inhumans show was rough.

Other than that there's no one that I'm attached to from the comics that I really hate. Hulk is different and I prefer him in the comics, but the MCU version is fine. 100% prepared to hate what they do to my boy Taskmaster though

I feel like Maximus was one of the better things (which isn't saying much) about the Inhumans show. Mainly because he wasn't insane, he was right, Black Bolt and the rest were holding everyone else down for no reason but a caste system. Of course, that's not where the plot went because they needed to make it clear he was a bad guy...

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
But as you know, the change (at least physically) was done in the comics during Annihilation by Kieth Giffen well before the movie came out. I wonder if people realize that or if they just think they redesigned Drax entirely for no good reason.

There is no way they get to that form of Drax from the original form of Drax in the movies. Just too many moving pieces, from his origins to losing his mind, changing power levels, changing shape, etc. They could have absolutely kept his hatred of Thanos (instead of shifting it to Ronan) though there would have still been no payoff to it.
Only good thing from that Mini was Cammie. Drax killing the previous unkillable Lunatik? That was bull shit.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
I don't read comics and only follow the characters via the MCU and animated shows, but Scott Lang from the original Ant-Man movie was like the ultimate sub-urban man's power fantasy come to life. Super smart hacker who got arrested for trying to take down the big bad corporation like some modern Robin Hood, gets to jail only to become loved by all the inmates, gets noticed and ultimately handed the keys to becoming a superhero, and finally gets put in situations that puts his wife that divorced him in a bad light. All the while he tags along with his racist caricature inmate friend with La Cucaracha gags. Is this what this guy is like in the comics? All superhero are male power fantasies but damn it felt like someone really went to town with this one.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man has been mentioned many times... but very much him. The movies have cool comic callbacks and stuff that are fun, but...

Yeah, he's boring & obsessed w/ Stark.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
eh, it's going to be over a longer period of time than 5 movies. That's not even 25% of the MCU. 1-2 more Avengers movies into the future and he'll start to show his leadership qualities. He'll also be older and more mature and not in school.

maybe. i dont know if we'll get that far with this spiderman. but 5 movies is plenty of time for a character to grow up and stand on their own.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Malekith is the worst by far, but also most of the Guardians, especially Star-Lord because of what it did to the character in the comics

There are others that I don't mind but wish were better: Ultron, the Warriors Three, Sif, Ronan

I love MCU Spider-Man 🤷‍♂️

edit: thought of another one. Hawkeye. It was an awful decision to make him a family man. Not a huge fan of Renner in the role either.

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GOTG more or less remade its characters wholesale, and sometimes I'm cool with that (Drax, Groot, Nebula) and sometimes I'm not (Gamora, Ronan). I'm ambivalent on Star-Lord, never quite sure how I feel about his portrayal.

MCU Thanos kinda sucks - when you strip away the death-worshipping he's a pretty bland character.

Don't really like what they ended up doing with Agatha Harkness; I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of the comic version, but going from "creepy old witch lady who's surprisingly 100% good" to "bad witch" is a shame.

A lot of Thor's supporting cast and villains were wasted, but I'm not sure if that's necessarily because of poor depiction or throwing away the chance to grow into their role. Hoping Natalie Portman's Jane is better under Waititi, at least.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
They did the Guardians dirty IMO. Didn't like either of those movies.

I don't know how anyone can say they did the Guardians dirty. They absolutely changed them from the comics. But they had so relatively few fans that even knew any of the characters before the movies that I don't think you can say that.

And I'm a big fan of not only the previous Valentino GoG incarnation but also the Annihilation and on cosmic Marvel runs.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
GOTG more or less remade its characters wholesale, and sometimes I'm cool with that (Drax, Groot, Nebula) and sometimes I'm not (Gamora, Ronan). I'm ambivalent on Star-Lord, never quite sure how I feel about his portrayal.

MCU Thanos kinda sucks - when you strip away the death-worshipping he's a pretty bland character.

Don't really like what they ended up doing with Agatha Harkness; I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of the comic version, but going from "creepy old witch lady who's surprisingly 100% good" to "bad witch" is a shame.

A lot of Thor's supporting cast and villains were wasted, but I'm not sure if that's necessarily because of poor depiction or throwing away the chance to grow into their role. Hoping Natalie Portman's Jane is better under Waititi, at least.

oh, with the fanfare she's getting online i'm sure she'll show up again in a more positive light.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Sometimes I feel like there are a number of things that the MCU is just too afraid to dive into. A BIG part of Iron Man's character was his struggle with alcoholism, but I feel like they felt that was too "heavy" for the movies, so 3 attempted to replace it with PTSD from the Avengers fight.

I read recently somewhere that they wanted to have it in IM3 but it was just too much for the plot to juggle so they cut it kinda early (whether it would have been allowed to the final script if they'd pushed for it, who knows).

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't bother me. I tend to keep comics and films separate in my head, so I don't need adaptations to be 1:1.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Hate the Daredevil armour, wouldn't be flexible enough for his fighting style and he can't carry it around like he can the suit

Also don't like how Spider-Man no longer feels as working class due to the Tony Stark connection but that's well covered.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Drax, and Hulk. Their power levels are so so low compared to my expectations.
Oh and the entire Inhumans in the TV series lol. That was so low budget looking.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Black Bolt is really the only hero I feel that's been butchered. Before him I would've said Silver Surfer but that was Fox. Should've just left it a movie and let Vin play him instead of sending him to tv.

Can't have a guy who could beat the whole avengers team with a cough look so bad 😢

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Quicksilver

ATJ would've made a great asshole version of the character that was closer to what I liked about him had they given him more screen time.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I love Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye, that run took away a good chunk of Clint's maturity, making him regress. I prefer the serious but still impulsive Clint and MCU Hawkeye is closer to that.
They've kind of addressed that in Hawkeye: Freefall. He's still a mess, but less of a mess.

And it helps remind people just how good of a fighter he is.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Comic fans. Upset?
notsurprisedkirk.jpg

The MCU films are fun adaptions not 1 to 1 retelling of the comics. As long as the essence of the character remains do whatever you want to them tbh.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
"Upset"

No, I think I can genuinely say that no depiction of comic book character in a movie is going to upset me.

Bobby_Zilch

Mar 10, 2020
Not really a hero exactly, but Maria Hill.

That brash, impulsive character from the books is gone. And instead we get someone who stands near Nick Fury and looks mildly concerned, I guess.

Cobie Smulders doesn't have anything to do.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
I do not like these MCU versions compared to the comic versions

1) Shuri
2) Drax
3) Hulk
4) Gamora

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017

That brash, impulsive character from the books is gone. And instead we get someone who stands near Nick Fury and looks mildly concerned, I guess.

Pretty disappointed with [their treatment of] Hill and Fury tbh.

And bring back Coulson

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I kinda wish Peter wasn't iron man 2.0 but it also makes no fucking sense that his aunt is the age of a grandmother when he is a teen. Smartest change they have made.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Man I just don't get the Iron Man Jr. stuff either. Like I get where it comes from but it also just comes off as an incredibly superficial read IMO. Fuck, both Spider-Man movies are about him embracing his own self, Happy's whole bit in the second is on how he's more than just Iron Man Jr. for God's sake.

Oh God I forgot about Maria Hill. Yeah it's technically an improvement from her comic version, but the end result's a complete blank slate of a character. She's literally just Fury's #2, and isn't nearly as fun as Coulson despite being played by a solid actress like Smulders.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man. It sucks as he's my favorite Marvel character, too. But, I just hate everything about the version Tom Holland plays. At least there's Spider-verse and Insomniac's Spidey (the latter being probably the best version of Peter Parker outside of the comics).

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I'm not very comics knowledgeable. Can someone explain to me what the appeal of Drax in his original/pre-MCU form is? Is there a lot of complexity to his character? Is it just a power thing?

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man. It sucks as he's my favorite Marvel character, too. But, I just hate everything about the version Tom Holland plays. At least there's Spider-verse and Insomniac's Spidey (the latter being probably the best version of Peter Parker outside of the comics).

Spectacular Spider-Man existed, but otherwise I agree

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WandaVision turned me around on her a bit but I wish Wanda/Pietro hadn't been whitewashed.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i like holland, but spiderman to me, people already said why. But i think i also think the hulk doesnt sit well to me, his character development only happens in avengers movies and another character movie and its very secondary, and due to that they scraped every/most secondary characters related to his "universe"

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil

Honestly I love the Civil War movie but the comic event was my introduction to Maria Hill, and I kept expecting her character to reach that point instead of just being the Shield Secretary.
Big disappointment.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hulk could be better.

Carol has been pretty bland thus far, but I have high hopes for the new creative team assembled for the sequel.

Gamora just sucks. They really butchered that one. I don't have much hope for that changing either.

Drax is whatever. Comics character sucked anyway. MCU is entertaining at least.

Spider-Man doesn't bother me at all. I've seen multiple film adaptations of his normal origin now. Changing it up to fit the MCU was a great move.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up with 90s Spider-Man, so that's always been my baseline. The weedly, meek MCU version is pretty bad.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I heard Mantis is a kickass martial artist in the comics and she should get to do some here.

But really I'm okay with everything tbh

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Oh cmon! Janet Van Dyne/Wasp has been done the dirtiest by the mcu. Like wtf. She would have fit in perfectly with the quippy mcu style in the first Avengers movie. I'll be forever salty that she was left out.

NoMoreNoLess

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
It's wild seeing so much Hulk disappointment. Imagine telling your past self after the Hulk/Incredible Hulk that you would see them go on to:
  • Fight Thor, punch out a chitauri worm and clown Loki
  • Have a fight with a hulkbuster suit.
  • Fight Thor again, in space, then fight a giant mythological wolf on the rainbow bridge
  • Fist fight Thanos 1-on-1 and lose in an awesome big budget TNG intro.
  • Time travel back to the first bullet point
  • Use an infinity gauntlet to restore half of the universe
Typing that out reads like some fake ass hell leak from an uncle who works at Marvel. I'm just glad we eventually got more than sulk hulk on screen.